What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julius Peppers - Move to 3-4 OLB? (1 Viewer)

brewer

Footballguy
As reported on CBS:

Panthers, DST CARNews: After spending his entire life in North Carolina, Julius Peppers wants out. The four-time Pro Bowl defensive end has decided he won't sign a long-term deal with the Panthers when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on Feb. 26. Peppers, who grew up in tiny Bailey, N.C., starred in college at North Carolina and was the Panthers' first-round pick in 2002, believes Carolina's defensive system is not for him - even after recording a career-high 14 1/2 sacks this season. Peppers' agent said his client wants to play in a 3-4 defense. The Panthers use a 4-3 alignment. "He certainly feels that he can excel and thrive in a 3-4 defense," the agent, Carl Carey, said. "He is also open to just another system in general that will allow him to maximize his athletic abilities."
He's certainly athletic enough in my opinion, but would he be the tallest linebacker ever? He's listed at 6-7, 283. Anyway, he seems like the perfect 4-3 end to me, why mess with what's already working?

He'd be perfect as a 3-4 OLB. Peppers is so athletic he played for the UNC Tarheels basketball team (and was very good). Dude can do anything he wants.

He'd be perfect as a 3-4 OLB. Peppers is so athletic he played for the UNC Tarheels basketball team (and was very good). Dude can do anything he wants.
I think he would have trouble playing out in space
He won't. Knowing what kind of athlete he is from his UNC days, I say this. Do you know what kind of movement skills you have to have to play basketball for UNC? Guy is a sick athlete.

He won't. Knowing what kind of athlete he is from his UNC days, I say this. Do you know what kind of movement skills you have to have to play basketball for UNC? Guy is a sick athlete.
The question is how are you going to get him out there to see if he can handle the lack of oxygen, air pressure, and the sub-zero temperatures? :goodposting:

That may very well be true, but he is a few years removed from his UNC days. Peppers is a great athlete - but he's also an athlete who is getting older. Frankly, I think his agent is simply making sure that there might be a few offers on the table from teams that run a 3-4 as well as any suitors from 4-3 defenses that are looking for a DE. The more potential teams involved = higher salary = higher agent cut.The agent is just using the statement to drive up Peppers' value. As a Bears fan, I hope he doens't exclusively want to play in a 3-4, as the Packers just announced they will be switching to one :goodposting:

Not really sure why he'd be so set on that. Maybe he wants to make sure he's not going to get stuck in a run support role, although I have no idea why any team would do that with him.

That may very well be true, but he is a few years removed from his UNC days. Peppers is a great athlete - but he's also an athlete who is getting older. Frankly, I think his agent is simply making sure that there might be a few offers on the table from teams that run a 3-4 as well as any suitors from 4-3 defenses that are looking for a DE. The more potential teams involved = higher salary = higher agent cut.

The agent is just using the statement to drive up Peppers' value.

As a Bears fan, I hope he doens't exclusively want to play in a 3-4, as the Packers just announced they will be switching to one :mellow:
Bingo. Peppers may be a sick athlete, and may be able to drop into coverage better than any other DE, but that doesn't mean it's a good move. Any defense that asks Peppers to play LB, and drop in coverage regularly, is a stupid defense. THe occasional zone blitz look? Swell. Nothing wrong with a little sneaky-sneaky, especially if he is getting doubled every passing down.

But Peppers should be attacking, and his best position is DE. Also, as far as I know, his ONLY position. Has he ever played LB?

2 things about this:

On the local radio show yesterday one of the beat writers was basically saying that this is an excuse that Peppers is using to get out and there is another reason that is "personal" as to why he wants to leave Charlotte. He stated he wasnt at liberty to say but it wasnt because he wanted to play in the 3-4. He did have mono in 2007 so who knows if that has anything to do with it.

As it appears now GB is putting together a package with the #9 pick to bring Peppers in. TT lost Moss and Gonzalez and felt the fan anger and he seems dead set not to lose Peppers.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 things about this:

On the local radio show yesterday one of the beat writers was basically saying that this is an excuse that Peppers is using to get out and there is another reason that is "personal" as to why he wants to leave Charlotte. He stated he wasnt at liberty to say but it wasnt because he wanted to play in the 3-4. He did have mono in 2007 so who knows if that has anything to do with it.

As it appears now GB is putting together a package with the #9 pick to bring Peppers in. TT lost Moss and Gonzalez and felt the fan anger and he seems dead set not to lose Peppers.
Some local sports talking head has all this information about Green Bay and what TT's going to give up for Peppers? :excited: I don't think TT would give a 1st for Peppers personally. A 2nd, yes, but not the #9 pick overall.

2 things about this:

Some local sports talking head has all this information about Green Bay and what TT's going to give up for Peppers? :bs: I don't think TT would give a 1st for Peppers personally. A 2nd, yes, but not the #9 pick overall.
The only way they can trade Pepp is if they franchise him, meaning they can't franchise Gross. So unless they re-sign Gross before free agency, I'd be shocked if they made that move.

You dont think Peppers is worth the #9 pick? Beat writers tend to have better sources then your average joe internet.
Local beat writers are trying to sell their rags to Joe Carolina. I feel pretty safe in saying they have little to no idea what TT's thinking. Hell, no one does.

Why would Ted Thompson...a guy that traded Favre and does not seem to give a rat's behind about what the fans think of his moves...a guy that loves draft picks too...trade a top 10 1st round pick for someone who will be a free agent soon enough?

Why would Ted Thompson...a guy that traded Favre and does not seem to give a rat's behind about what the fans think of his moves...a guy that loves draft picks too...trade a top 10 1st round pick for someone who will be a free agent soon enough?
There defenitley be a deal in place before the trade went down.San Diego doesnt have enough picks to trade

From a Carolina fan local to Charlotte, I think you'll see a pretty good push to get Gross signed. It's gonna cost some money, but I think it'll happen and happen pretty early. If/when that happens, you see the tag slapped on Peppers. At that point, it becomes a bidders game. I think Peppers will pull a first round pick, but a lot will depend on who's trying to buy. Frankly, as good as Peppers is, he tends to disappear in a lot of games when the chips are down.

From a Carolina fan local to Charlotte, I think you'll see a pretty good push to get Gross signed. It's gonna cost some money, but I think it'll happen and happen pretty early. If/when that happens, you see the tag slapped on Peppers. At that point, it becomes a bidders game. I think Peppers will pull a first round pick, but a lot will depend on who's trying to buy. Frankly, as good as Peppers is, he tends to disappear in a lot of games when the chips are down.
He disappears for complete seasons (2007)

pantherclub said:
You dont think Peppers is worth the #9 pick? Beat writers tend to have better sources then your average joe internet.
No way.John Abraham went for the 29th pick when he was one year younger than Peppers. Jared Allen went for the 17th, 73rd and 82nd picks, but he was three years younger. I suspect Peppers would fall in between those two deals.

FWIW, Pat Kirwan on NFL Sirius said that this move is nothing but posturing to expand the number of teams that would be interested in his services.

Hmm...interesting...

Carolina taking steps to make Peppers want to stay?

Three days after defensive end Julius Peppers launched a public power play to get out of Carolina, the Panthers might be starting the process of making Julius happy.

Gone is defensive line coach Sal Sunseri. Sunseri is headed to the University of Alabama to join Nick Saban's staff.

Coincidentally, Sunseri arrived in 2002, the same year that the Carolina Panthers picked Peppers with the second overall selection in the draft.

There's also chatter that defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac could leave. Word is that his contract has expired, and that he might head to Jacksonville, where he would join Jack Del Rio's staff.

It remains to be seen whether such changes will persuade Peppers to stick around.

link

i'd take him in Cleveland. he can play saftey, TE, whatever.
As a Browns fan living in Carolina I've gotten to see alot Panther games. I can honestly say that I would not want Peppers in Cleveland. EM said he wants players and personel that embrace the workman like attitude of the people in Cleveland. I assure you that Peppers is not that guy. See below:
Frankly, as good as Peppers is, he tends to disappear in a lot of games
Dude is a physical beast. He just takes way too many plays off. Yeah he had 14.5 sacks last year, but what about the other 3000 snaps. Where was he? Local radio stays on him about it as well. funny that he had 14.5 sacks in a contract year....how'd he do last year? Look, there is no denying his athletic ability. I was like you thinking about playing some TE. A guy that's 6'7, played power forward for UNC should be an amazing TE threat in the red zone right? I've never seen him targeted. If his work ethic and motor matched his physical skills, he could pull 30 sacks a year. Just my :shrug:ETA: I can't spell

The only way they can trade Pepp is if they franchise him, meaning they can't franchise Gross. So unless they re-sign Gross before free agency, I'd be shocked if they made that move.
Gross was franchised last year, wasn't he? If he was they can't burn it on him again a second year in a row.

Gross was franchised last year, wasn't he? If he was they can't burn it on him again a second year in a row.
i thought Jones in Seattle was franchised several years in a row.and the bringing him to Cleveland comment, i just think the team is desperate for an infusion of playmaking ability at LB. people said Shaun Rogers took plays off too and that worked out pretty well. sometimes guys just need a new enviroment.

i thought Jones in Seattle was franchised several years in a row.and the bringing him to Cleveland comment, i just think the team is desperate for an infusion of playmaking ability at LB. people said Shaun Rogers took plays off too and that worked out pretty well. sometimes guys just need a new enviroment.
Good point about Rogers. He was one of the few bright spots last year. Maybe the same would hold true for Pep

As a Browns fan living in Carolina I've gotten to see alot Panther games. I can honestly say that I would not want Peppers in Cleveland. EM said he wants players and personel that embrace the workman like attitude of the people in Cleveland. I assure you that Peppers is not that guy. See below:

Dude is a physical beast. He just takes way too many plays off. Yeah he had 14.5 sacks last year, but what about the other 3000 snaps. Where was he? Local radio stays on him about it as well. funny that he say 14.5 sacks in a contract year....how'd he do last year? Look, there is no denying his athletic ability. I was like you thinking about playing some TE. A guy that's 6'7, played power forward for UNC should be an amazing TE threat in the red zone right? I've never seen him targeted. If his work ethic and motor matched his physical skills, he could pull 30 sacks a year. Just my :kicksrock:
You conveniently left out 2002-2006. Sure, 2008 was a career year (by 1 1/2 sacks), but 2007 was also an aberration in the context of his career. The guy averages over 10 sacks & 48 tackles (nearly 40 solo) a year even with that crappy season. I'm not defending his attitude/work ethic, just don't make it sound like 2008 was the outlier instead of 2007.

:lmao: I'm hoping for Haynesworth, but would be happy with Peppers. In my dream world, they get both.
Is CLE moving to a 4-3? If not, why would you want your team to shell out $60M+ guaranteed to two players whose strengths don't fit your defensive system? You don't need to pay $30M to Haynesworth to occupy linemen, and you don't need to pay Peppers $30M to chase down TE's from behind.

Dude is a physical beast. He just takes way too many plays off. Yeah he had 14.5 sacks last year, but what about the other 3000 snaps. Where was he? Local radio stays on him about it as well. funny that he say 14.5 sacks in a contract year....how'd he do last year? Look, there is no denying his athletic ability. I was like you thinking about playing some TE. A guy that's 6'7, played power forward for UNC should be an amazing TE threat in the red zone right? I've never seen him targeted. If his work ethic and motor matched his physical skills, he could pull 30 sacks a year. Just my :goodposting:
You conveniently left out 2002-2006. Sure, 2008 was a career year (by 1 1/2 sacks), but 2007 was also an aberration in the context of his career. The guy averages over 10 sacks & 48 tackles (nearly 40 solo) a year even with that crappy season. I'm not defending his attitude/work ethic, just don't make it sound like 2008 was the outlier instead of 2007.
I didn't conveniently leave out anything. That certainly wasn't my intention. I was just talking about recent history. If you want to look at his full body of work, then by all means lets do. I said he tends to disappear. He usually has 2 games a year in which he rings up 3 sacks. So roughly half of his sacks each year come in two games. 2006 -- week 2 and 10 - 13 total

2005 -- week 9 and 16 - 10.5 total

2004 -- best year of his career IMO - 11 total

2003 -- no multi sack games - 7 sacks

2002 -- week 2 and 6 - 12 total

What about the other 14 games? I've watched too many games where he appears to be completely ineffective and ends up chasing down the play from behind. I'm not saying your numbers are wrong, because they are very accurate. I am just saying that one or two games a year can inflate one's overall stats (see ocho cinco in previous years). Again, just my :yes:

Hmm...interesting...

Three days after defensive end Julius Peppers launched a public power play to get out of Carolina, the Panthers might be starting the process of making Julius happy.

Gone is defensive line coach Sal Sunseri. Sunseri is headed to the University of Alabama to join Nick Saban's staff.

Coincidentally, Sunseri arrived in 2002, the same year that the Carolina Panthers picked Peppers with the second overall selection in the draft.

There's also chatter that defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac could leave. Word is that his contract has expired, and that he might head to Jacksonville, where he would join Jack Del Rio's staff.

It remains to be seen whether such changes will persuade Peppers to stick around.

link
Defensive coordinator Trgovac says he'll be back in '09But team has lost two defensive assistants

Written by Steve Reed

1/20/2009 5:07:55 PM

CHARLOTTE -- Mike Trgovac said Tuesday he will be back for a seventh season as the team's defensive coordinator.

“I’m excited,” said Trgovac via telephone from Mobile, Ala., during a short break from scouting players at the Senior Bowl.

Trgovac, along with a number of other coaches, was offered a one-year contract by the team and has told them he will return. He plans to do so in the next few days. Trgovac's name had been linked to an opening on the Jacksonville Jaguars staff as defensive coordinator.

“I’m eager to come back. Things didn’t go as well as we wanted (late in the season), but we’ll get those fixed and we’ll go from there,” Trgovac said.

Defensive coordinator Trgovac says he'll be back in '09

Shoot a bunch of free throws???

That may very well be true, but he is a few years removed from his UNC days. Peppers is a great athlete - but he's also an athlete who is getting older. Frankly, I think his agent is simply making sure that there might be a few offers on the table from teams that run a 3-4 as well as any suitors from 4-3 defenses that are looking for a DE. The more potential teams involved = higher salary = higher agent cut.

The agent is just using the statement to drive up Peppers' value.

As a Bears fan, I hope he doens't exclusively want to play in a 3-4, as the Packers just announced they will be switching to one :rant:
Bingo. Peppers may be a sick athlete, and may be able to drop into coverage better than any other DE, but that doesn't mean it's a good move. Any defense that asks Peppers to play LB, and drop in coverage regularly, is a stupid defense. THe occasional zone blitz look? Swell. Nothing wrong with a little sneaky-sneaky, especially if he is getting doubled every passing down.

But Peppers should be attacking, and his best position is DE. Also, as far as I know, his ONLY position. Has he ever played LB?
Most teams only used one lineman against him. Very common misconception that he has to be doubled.

Here's what you need to know. Peppers is a great athlete and can come up with spectacular plays. His determination can be lacking at times. I very rarely see a decent power rush from him. Teams can assign one lineman to him and basically get away with it. I don't think you pay as a top five player at his position if doesn't require being doubled. I think he would excel on a team with a decent pass rush that can force a QB out of the pocket.

Dude is a physical beast. He just takes way too many plays off. Yeah he had 14.5 sacks last year, but what about the other 3000 snaps. Where was he? Local radio stays on him about it as well. funny that he say 14.5 sacks in a contract year....how'd he do last year? Look, there is no denying his athletic ability. I was like you thinking about playing some TE. A guy that's 6'7, played power forward for UNC should be an amazing TE threat in the red zone right? I've never seen him targeted. If his work ethic and motor matched his physical skills, he could pull 30 sacks a year. Just my :blackdot:
I didn't conveniently leave out anything. That certainly wasn't my intention. I was just talking about recent history. If you want to look at his full body of work, then by all means lets do. I said he tends to disappear. He usually has 2 games a year in which he rings up 3 sacks. So roughly half of his sacks each year come in two games. 2006 -- week 2 and 10 - 13 total

2005 -- week 9 and 16 - 10.5 total

2004 -- best year of his career IMO - 11 total

2003 -- no multi sack games - 7 sacks

2002 -- week 2 and 6 - 12 total

What about the other 14 games? I've watched too many games where he appears to be completely ineffective and ends up chasing down the play from behind. I'm not saying your numbers are wrong, because they are very accurate. I am just saying that one or two games a year can inflate one's overall stats (see ocho cinco in previous years). Again, just my :goodposting:
Thanks for the game by game breakdown, but how many DE's get multiple sacks EVERY GAME? I'm not disagreeing with your first hand observations of him, but you make it sound like he just stands at the line of scrimmage most of the time.

I'd like to see Tyler Hansborough try to cover Dallas Clark in space. Hes a sick athlete, right? Since he plays for UNC?

I'd like to see Tyler Hansborough try to cover Dallas Clark in space. Hes a sick athlete, right? Since he plays for UNC?
Glad to see someone got my post.

Hmm...interesting...

link
Defensive coordinator Trgovac says he'll be back in '09But team has lost two defensive assistants

Written by Steve Reed

1/20/2009 5:07:55 PM

CHARLOTTE -- Mike Trgovac said Tuesday he will be back for a seventh season as the team's defensive coordinator.

“I’m excited,” said Trgovac via telephone from Mobile, Ala., during a short break from scouting players at the Senior Bowl.

Trgovac, along with a number of other coaches, was offered a one-year contract by the team and has told them he will return. He plans to do so in the next few days. Trgovac's name had been linked to an opening on the Jacksonville Jaguars staff as defensive coordinator.

“I’m eager to come back. Things didn’t go as well as we wanted (late in the season), but we’ll get those fixed and we’ll go from there,” Trgovac said.

Defensive coordinator Trgovac says he'll be back in '09
X
Panthers defensive coordinator Trgovac leaves team

53 minutes ago

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac has turned down a contract offer and won’t return in the biggest shakeup yet to coach John Fox’s staff.

Team spokesman said Charlie Dayton said Thursday that Trgovac informed Fox and general manager Marty Hurney of his decision at the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala.

Trgovac becoming the fourth assistant to leave since the end of the season. The move comes less than a week after star defensive end Julius Peppers told the Panthers he didn’t want to return after he becomes a free agent next month.

Trgovac joined Fox’s staff in 2002 as defensive line coach and was promoted to defensive coordinator a year later when Jack Del Rio left to coach the Jacksonville Jaguars.

link

Users who are viewing this thread