What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justin Blackmon Suspended Indefinitely (1 Viewer)

Even with that being true the chances of him staying clean are three or four times greater than Blackmon.
Maybe. It's hard to estimate the probabilities involved with anything resembling accuracy or authority. I agree that alcohol is a much more chemically addictive substance than marijuana... but marijuana isn't chemically addictive, and yet Gordon keeps getting popped for it (we're assuming- all we know for sure is that he keeps getting popped for SOMETHING), which suggests he has a psychological addiction. And psychological addictions are much harder to measure. I'd say that alcohol is also more addictive than leftover fast food wrappers, and yet that doesn't really explain the fact that the show "Hoarders" still exists.

Also, if we estimate that Justin Blackmon has a 1% chance of staying clean, how useful is it that Gordon's chances are 3-4 times higher? If Blackmon has an estimated 5% chance, that's still just a 15-20% chance for Gordon. Even if Gordon has the benefit of positive multipliers, if the starting value is low enough, positive multipliers aren't going to be a huge help.

I am not convinced Gordon has so much higher chances compared to Blackmon.

Society as a whole has dealt with alcoholism for a long, long time. Over decades, we have developed programs, techniques, early relapse indicators, etc, etc, etc. So, nowadays, when money is not a big concern, rich people have generally found ways to fix their or their families' alcohol problem without relapse. I've come to know about quite a few upper-middle-class alcoholic cases and I can't think of a single one that wasn't fixed over time. Obviously, the outcomes are quite different in the not-so-affluent parts of society, but we generally know how to fix the problem.

By comparison, smoking pot is a much weaker addiction, but one society does not bother much with. Part of the problem is that its not remotely as harmful to most people compared to alcohol. Another part of the problem is that it is not a common rich-people problem, while alcohol is. But to the best of my knowledge, there is no big money advantage here in being able to kick the habit. Pretty much all rehab clinics rely on daily testing and that's about it. No state-of-the-art behavior-changing processes - just hope that if you separate the person from the pot for long enough, the habit will go away.

Bottomline, even though Blackmon's battle is much more uphill, if he gets cut and signed by, say, the Patriots, they will know how to fix him up. With Gordon, I am not convinced anybody does and surely not the Browns.

Zdravko said:

Society as a whole has dealt with alcoholism for a long, long time. Over decades, we have developed programs, techniques, early relapse indicators, etc, etc, etc. So, nowadays, when money is not a big concern, rich people have generally found ways to fix their or their families' alcohol problem without relapse. I've come to know about quite a few upper-middle-class alcoholic cases and I can't think of a single one that wasn't fixed over time. Obviously, the outcomes are quite different in the not-so-affluent parts of society, but we generally know how to fix the problem.

By comparison, smoking pot is a much weaker addiction, but one society does not bother much with. Part of the problem is that its not remotely as harmful to most people compared to alcohol. Another part of the problem is that it is not a common rich-people problem, while alcohol is. But to the best of my knowledge, there is no big money advantage here in being able to kick the habit. Pretty much all rehab clinics rely on daily testing and that's about it. No state-of-the-art behavior-changing processes - just hope that if you separate the person from the pot for long enough, the habit will go away.

Bottomline, even though Blackmon's battle is much more uphill, if he gets cut and signed by, say, the Patriots, they will know how to fix him up. With Gordon, I am not convinced anybody does and surely not the Browns.
Those people aren't being tested 10 times a month and having their career destroyed over one night of giving into temptation.

Looking at the big picture here is this. The media and experts love the doom and gloom and the bottom line is Blackmon has missed more than half a season. He has kept a low profile from what I can tell and might be taking the right steps to not only get his life straight, but get back on the field this year or next.
Yeah, so low that he had zero contact with the team he's on.

Sure he "might" be doing those things, but you have zero reason to think that, and his past history would suggest otherwise.

Looking at the big picture here is this. The media and experts love the doom and gloom and the bottom line is Blackmon has missed more than half a season. He has kept a low profile from what I can tell and might be taking the right steps to not only get his life straight, but get back on the field this year or next.

I can see a team with a great mentoring system and locker room taking Blackmon on. A great talent on the field and still very young at a extremely team friendly price. It will happen and what he does with maybe a last chance mentality could be special. If I was a team I would reach out to Chris Carter and see if he could mentor Blackmon if Blackmon was willing.
But the Jaguars have his rights and can't cut him until he is reinstated by the league. And teams are not allowed to help him while he is suspended so he needs to use the resources provided by the NFL and pass the different checkpoints in terms of testing and other activities they ask him to perform. With the highly negative comments from the past couple of months from different people in the Jax organisation, do you really think he is on the path that will lead to him being reinstated?

The reason that there are so few news about this whole situation is because both the NFL and JAX are unable to comment on specifics due to the agreements between the NFL and the NFLPA. But if you go back and listen to the press conference Bradley had right after Blackmon got suspended this past fall you'll get the feeling that they were really rooting for him and that they believed he would come back. In contrast, when you look at what Khan, Bradley and the GM has said these past couple of months it's pretty clear that the situation is bad. Real bad. They are not allowed to go out and say what the actual status is, but they are giving some pretty strong hints:

Bradley also stated his disappointment in the situation.

"I feel at times there's probably a little emptiness," Bradley said. "There are some unknowns there and you don't know how it's working. You don't want to shut it off. I was hoping it would be better than where it is going. We haven't heard much and it doesn't sound like it's going in the right direction. Like Dave said, we can't count on him."

"I think it's an absolute tragedy," Khan said. "... I think he’s such a talented guy. The best years [are] ahead of him but after a while it’s out of your control."

Khan said that while the contact between Blackmon and the team is restricted by NFL rules, he hopes Blackmon takes advantage of the help available.

"The league, the players association, there’s a huge amount of resources," Khan said. "Please take advantage of it. If you’re a player it’s like all of this stuff is being offered to you. Take advantage of it. I think NFL players are so lucky from the viewpoint all these resources that are available to them."

And as I mentioned, they are not allowed to cut him so it's not like another team can come in and take a chance on him. He would need to be reinstated first.

Zdravko said:

Those people aren't being tested 10 times a month and having their career destroyed over one night of giving into temptation.
Sure, they are not. But that treatment would apply equally to both Blackmon and Gordon. Any my point above is that Gordon is not more likely to recover than Blackmon.

The reason that there are so few news about this whole situation is because both the NFL and JAX are unable to comment on specifics due to the agreements between the NFL and the NFLPA. But if you go back and listen to the press conference Bradley had right after Blackmon got suspended this past fall you'll get the feeling that they were really rooting for him and that they believed he would come back. In contrast, when you look at what Khan, Bradley and the GM has said these past couple of months it's pretty clear that the situation is bad. Real bad. They are not allowed to go out and say what the actual status is, but they are giving some pretty strong hints:

Bradley also stated his disappointment in the situation.

"I feel at times there's probably a little emptiness," Bradley said. "There are some unknowns there and you don't know how it's working. You don't want to shut it off. I was hoping it would be better than where it is going. We haven't heard much and it doesn't sound like it's going in the right direction. Like Dave said, we can't count on him."
"I think it's an absolute tragedy," Khan said. "... I think he’s such a talented guy. The best years [are] ahead of him but after a while it’s out of your control."

Khan said that while the contact between Blackmon and the team is restricted by NFL rules, he hopes Blackmon takes advantage of the help available.

"The league, the players association, there’s a huge amount of resources," Khan said. "Please take advantage of it. If you’re a player it’s like all of this stuff is being offered to you. Take advantage of it. I think NFL players are so lucky from the viewpoint all these resources that are available to them."
Good post. Outside of pictures of him plastered at a bar, this should sufficiently quiet the "no news" denial crowd.

Even with that being true the chances of him staying clean are three or four times greater than Blackmon.
marijuana isn't chemically addictive, and yet Gordon keeps getting popped for it (we're assuming- all we know for sure is that he keeps getting popped for SOMETHING)
There is no evidence he has been popped for weed since college. I don't know why people keep making that assumption. The one positive test we know of was not for weed. There is speculation about the current issue, some of which involves weed and some of which involves a missed test. Regardless, that hardly seems to support the popular misconception that he is getting busted for weed every month.

The one positive test we know of they claim was not for weed. We don't actually know what the reality was. He says it was a mixup with some cough medicine, but nobody that actually performed the test is actually allowed to come out and say what it was for, we only have Gordon and his agent's word on it.

As for Blackmon at this point I honestly think Lyerla has a better chance of making it in the NFL than Blackmon.

marijuana isn't chemically addictive, and yet Gordon keeps getting popped for it (we're assuming- all we know for sure is that he keeps getting popped for SOMETHING)
There is no evidence he has been popped for weed since college. I don't know why people keep making that assumption. The one positive test we know of was not for weed. There is speculation about the current issue, some of which involves weed and some of which involves a missed test. Regardless, that hardly seems to support the popular misconception that he is getting busted for weed every month.
Gordon CLAIMS the one positive test we know of was not for weed. Gordon CLAIMS it was for codeine. We have no way of knowing whether that was true or not, because the NFL isn't allowed to comment on specifics regarding a suspension. It's possible it really was for codeine. It's possible it was for weed, but Gordon thought "I took cough syrup without reading the label first" sounded more sympathetic than "I'm still blazing up all the time". Who knows.

Given his lengthy history with weed in college (getting kicked out of one program, decent reason to believe that he got kicked out of a second one), I think it's a not-entirely-unsubstantiated leap of logic to suggest that it's possible that his problems in the pros have also stemmed from marijuana.

But yes, like I said, all we know for sure is that he keeps getting popped for SOMETHING. Hopefully it's weed, because any other possible explanation I can think of seems much worse.

(Rotoworld)ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Jaguars don't plan to release suspended WR Justin Blackmon.

Analysis: The Jaguars are allowed to release Blackmon during his indefinite suspension, but they have no plans to do so and want him to return once reinstated. The team has no idea if, or when, Blackmon will be back in the NFL after multiple violations of the substance-abuse policy. He's being viewed merely as a luxury.

(Rotoworld)ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Jaguars don't plan to release suspended WR Justin Blackmon.

Analysis: The Jaguars are allowed to release Blackmon during his indefinite suspension, but they have no plans to do so and want him to return once reinstated. The team has no idea if, or when, Blackmon will be back in the NFL after multiple violations of the substance-abuse policy. He's being viewed merely as a luxury.
So they ARE allowed to release him? :confused:

Heard for the longest that they weren't able to.

So they ARE allowed to release him? :confused:

Heard for the longest that they weren't able to.
They weren't allowed to release him, but the league said a couple of days ago that they could if they wanted to.

Sucks for him.... can't play football, can't get paid, can't drink, can't smoke. What's a guy supposed to do, whippits??

It just blows my mind that he got suspended for what looks to be for about a year and a half... for drinking. Not drinking and driving (well, that was what lead to the 4 game suspension last year), but from all accounts the indefinite suspension was related to either failing or missing some sort of alcohol test.

What the hell would anyone do if you can't work, can't drink, and can't smoke... for a year and half? Seriously, what would you do?

Sucks for him.... can't play football, can't get paid, can't drink, can't smoke. What's a guy supposed to do, whippits??

It just blows my mind that he got suspended for what looks to be for about a year and a half... for drinking. Not drinking and driving (well, that was what lead to the 4 game suspension last year), but from all accounts the indefinite suspension was related to either failing or missing some sort of alcohol test.

What the hell would anyone do if you can't work, can't drink, and can't smoke... for a year and half? Seriously, what would you do?
Well, he can work, he just can't play football in the NFL. He can get any other job in the world for which someone wants to hire him. If I'm him I would finish college while suspended, that's assuming he came out before graduating. I'd be curious to know if he's allowed to play arena or in the CFL while suspended.

No one in the world has ever gone without drugs and alcohol.

kb488 said:
Here's a recent photo of Blackmon at a Dave and Busters.

To me, it looks like he's lost a little weight.... but it's hard to tell.... it also looks like he's lost a little bit of his build.... but again super hard to tell...Seems like a genuine smile on his part... Is he gone from the game for good and spiraling out of control.... or his taking back control of his life? Only time will tell....

http://instagram.com/p/oXMFNSs3jr/
I'm nervous even knowing he's hanging out at Dave & Busters only a few feet away from alcohol. Granted that rules out almost every restaurant and him having any social life, but he's clearly displayed he can't put the bottle down. Why would he start now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Jaguars have not ruled out a Justin Blackmon reinstatement at some point during the 2014 season.

We'd still consider it a longshot that Blackmon's indefinite ban is lifted prior to the 2015 season, but the Jags are holding out hope. Essentially, they're treating him as a luxury after adding two polished rookies in Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson to run with Cecil Shorts. As a multiple Stage 3 violator, Blackmon must apply to the league office for reinstatement.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Jun 5 - 8:45 AM

Steed said:
kb488 said:
Here's a recent photo of Blackmon at a Dave and Busters.

To me, it looks like he's lost a little weight.... but it's hard to tell.... it also looks like he's lost a little bit of his build.... but again super hard to tell...Seems like a genuine smile on his part... Is he gone from the game for good and spiraling out of control.... or his taking back control of his life? Only time will tell....

http://instagram.com/p/oXMFNSs3jr/
I'm nervous even knowing he's hanging out at Dave & Busters only a few feet away from alcohol. Granted that rules out almost every restaurant and him having any social life, but he's clearly displayed he can't put the bottle down. Why would he start now?
Did he have a bottle in his hand?

karmarooster said:

I would beat it like it owes me money.

karmarooster said:

I would beat it like it owes me money.
Quick, someone call Blackmon's agent!

Seems like the Jags have climbed down a bit in the last few days. Could either be a sign that he is genuinely ready for reinstatement or an effort to build some kind of trade value.

Justin Blackmon - WR - Jaguars

The Jaguars say they "haven't heard much" from suspended WR Justin Blackmon, and "it doesn't sound like it's going in the right direction."

Several teammates and members of the organization have reached out to Blackmon, but he reportedly doesn't reply to their text messages or phone calls very often. Cecil Shorts indicated Blackmon has checked into rehab and is "doing all right." A former college coach of Blackmon's says the receiver admitted that he's "getting help." Blackmon caught 29 balls for 415 yards and one score in just four starts last season. His talent has never been questioned.

Source: Florida Times Union

Jun 22 - 11:25 AM

I don't understand how paragraph 2 supports paragraph one of that blurb. So he's doing alright, going to rehab and getting help yet it's not going in the right direction? Is there more that wasn't quoted?

this is Over Rover. We like to put on the rose colored glasses in our lives but if we are honest with ourselves then we know from reading these recent reports that we can relate: we all know people like this and we know what's going on. He is spiraling and while he might/probably will get help to get his basic functioning life back together at some point after he hits his low point, he is probably nowhere near in a position to where he can play NFL football anytime soon.

If he's only going to rehab now there's little chance he gets reinstated to play this year. Plan to hold him until 2015.

If he's only going to rehab now there's little chance he gets reinstated to play this year. Plan to hold him until 2015.
The article doesn't say that he just checked in this past week. If you read closely, it says his teammate just got an update in the last week.....about Blackmon being in rehab. It is certainly possible he has been in rehab for months, and his teammates just found out.Of course, he also could have been drunk every day for the past 6 months.

The article doesn't say that he just checked in this past week. If you read closely, it says his teammate just got an update in the last week.....about Blackmon being in rehab. It is certainly possible he has been in rehab for months, and his teammates just found out.Of course, he also could have been drunk every day for the past 6 months.
He was in a car accident in three months ago and was at Dave and Buster's last month.

ItsOnlytheRiver said:
I don't understand how paragraph 2 supports paragraph one of that blurb. So he's doing alright, going to rehab and getting help yet it's not going in the right direction? Is there more that wasn't quoted?
Well the one troubling thing is that he has totally shut out his teammates.

At the Jaguars’ request, Marcedes Lewis intended to take Blackmon under his wing this offseason, but the veteran tight end was unable to make contact after Blackmon changed his cell phone number.

What concerns Lewis most is that Blackmon will take on the challenge of conquering his issues with minimal help, thinking he can do it alone.

“Me, I know how it is when you have outside issues,” said Lewis, a reference to his previous legal battles for custody and visitation time with his daughter. “I can be the first one to tell you it’s not good handling it by yourself. Sometimes, you need your teammates to lean on, your coaches and friends. I hope Justin is doing OK and trying to get some guidance.

“You never know what’s going on unless you’re that person. We can sit here and make as many predictions as we want. We’ll never know until, hopefully, he gets back, whenever that may be.”

Users who are viewing this thread