What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Smith Injury (1 Viewer)

smoker

Footballguy
Anyone have info on who is starting for the Lions this week at running back?

I'm thinking MoMo could be a nice sneaky play if he is the only rb to get action this week in 1st round of playoffs

Kevin Smith been practicing?

Anyone have info on who is starting for the Lions this week at running back?I'm thinking MoMo could be a nice sneaky play if he is the only rb to get action this week in 1st round of playoffsKevin Smith been practicing?
He's not that sneaky at this point

Smith did not practice on Wednesday -- but it's Thursday and especially Friday that are most important. If he doesn't practice at all this week, then I'd be very concerned about playing him this week. But if he practices some both days (especially Friday), then he could be considered (depending upon your other options, of course). As we've seen, even a half of Kevin Smith is pretty good. Two halves are even better!

Kevin Smith (ankle) was not participating in Lions practice Thursday.Smith is now off the track that he took into last week's game. It shouldn't be a surprise as he was clearly at far less than 100 percent against the Saints and then aggravated his sprain in the third quarter. Owners need to explore other options, as Maurice Morris appears headed for another start. Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter Dec 8 - 11:32 AM

The idea of Kevin Smith resting a week and suiting up for Oakland's 28th ranked rush defense in week 15 sounds good to me.
:goodposting:
Spoken like people with byes... ;)For owners that also have Morris or another viable option resting would be best. I think that is best for DET too because they should still be able to beat MIN without Smith. I am dreading hearing, "I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes."

From RotoWorld:

Kevin Smith (ankle) returned to practice on Friday.

Smith has his helmet on and is going through warmups, so it looks like he's going to give it a go. His status for Sunday's game will be determined by how his ankle responds to the rigors of practice. Check back later in the day for an update.

From RotoWorld:

Kevin Smith (ankle) returned to practice on Friday.

Smith has his helmet on and is going through warmups, so it looks like he's going to give it a go. His status for Sunday's game will be determined by how his ankle responds to the rigors of practice. Check back later in the day for an update.
Can see him being fine for practice, then re-injure the ankle after practice while walking to the Gatorade cooler.

Not looking great. Per Dave Birkett on twitter:

Kevin Smith just tried to run a route out of the backfield, can't cut. Pulled out of the drill

I know his recent time spent on the couch put the fear of unemployment in him, so he's afraid to sit, but he needs to get healthy to show off his talents. Sit for a week, Kevin. The lions need you desperately so they won't cut you for sitting a week. Come back next week and show you're stuff

I need him desperately this week but he's not helping himself right now. Love that kids heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is you answer, he will not play this weekend imo.

Kevin Smith (ankle) left practice early on Friday when he couldn't cut on a pass route of the backfield.

Smith pulled himself out of the drill and left the practice field. At this point, it's highly unlikely that he'll be active against the Vikings on Sunday. Upgrade Maurice Morris, who is now a legit flex option versus a defense allowing the 14th-most fantasy points to opposing backs.

Good... Hopefully he rests up and can come back next week. I'd be pissed if he pulled up on it again this week and was out the last two weeks where I really need him.

Looks like Smith got caught trying to sneak through the line for a big TD in practice and pulled up lame...

Tough trying to sneak past an ankle injury.

...............................sneak

'The Captain said:
I know his recent time spent on the couch put the fear of unemployment in him, so he's afraid to sit, but he needs to get healthy to show off his talents. Sit for a week, Kevin. The lions need you desperately so they won't cut you for sitting a week. Come back next week and show you're stuff

I need him desperately this week but he's not helping himself right now. Love that kids heart.
I could easily be wrong, but I think Kevin Smith has shown enough in his short amount of action for a team to take a big chance on him next year. Could be Detroit, could be elsewhere. He will be on a team competing for the starting job next summer if he finishes the season relatively healthy.

'The Captain said:

I could easily be wrong, but I think Kevin Smith has shown enough in his short amount of action for a team to take a big chance on him next year. Could be Detroit, could be elsewhere. He will be on a team competing for the starting job next summer if he finishes the season relatively healthy.
Or it shows why teams won't trust him as a long term solution and why he didn't get a call until DET wanted to bring him back. Can't blame the guy for getting hurt, but also have to wonder why he gets hurt so often. The man is awesome when healthy tho.

Sounds like he won't give you guys the usual 2 and half quarters of action this weekend.
Why so bitter? If he gets healed up its worth it. Although his 2 quarters, 20 pts got me the win last week, since I won by 3, and my flex replacement would have given me only 16. Dude is averaging 11 fps per quarter in PPR, definitely worth waiting on it he plays week 15 and 16.

Rotoworld is saying he is not expecting to play. BUT they also mentioned that he may have suffered a setback? Any homers wanna chime in...

Sounds like he won't give you guys the usual 2 and half quarters of action this weekend.
Why so bitter? If he gets healed up its worth it. Although his 2 quarters, 20 pts got me the win last week, since I won by 3, and my flex replacement would have given me only 16. Dude is averaging 11 fps per quarter in PPR, definitely worth waiting on it he plays week 15 and 16.
U Mad?

going Mo over Sproles....cmon Morris.

Sucks that Smith is out but based on last 2 weeks, he came back too soon.

ESPN's projections really like him, but those projections are BOOTY...still, anyone got any reports on what his chances of playing are? Yes, I know he may last one quarter....

(Rotoworld) Kevin Smith (ankle) said he expects to play in Week 15.Analysis: Smith didn't even test his ankle before Sunday's game against the Vikings, instead opting for a week of rest. "It's gotten a lot better with the time, resting, a lot of treatment. So I should be good to go," he said. If active, Smith figures to be a workhorse for the Lions. Maurice Morris and Keiland Williams are well below average as NFL running backs.

I'm going to get cute, and play kieland.
Dave Richard from CBS Sportsline is suggesting if your desperate to add Wiilliams with injuries to Smith and Morris(chest) with a good matchup vs the Raiders. I've lost Murray and the waiver wire looks very thin...I might do it to add depth but do have Benson, MaGahee, Mendy and Hillis so I couldn't see starting him.

According to Dave Birkett, Kevin is back at practice. Also, Chris McCosky says "Kevin Smith moving well."

Considering it is Wednesday, and he's giving it a go and looking ok during the media portion of practice, I think he has a good chance to play this week. The media were using more gimpy descriptors last time he practiced and played, so this is a better start of the week, so far. Obviously, the reports after practice are more important, but early info can always be helpful for waiver moves.

ETA: Kevin Smith now working out on the side with trainers, testing the ankle (Dave Birkett)

Also, not working in team drills yet during the media portion. Just wanted to make sure I painted an accurate picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smith owners rejoice

Kevin Smith (ankle) was participating in Lions practice Wednesday. Per beat reporter Chris McCosky, Smith was "moving well." After taking last week off, Smith fully expects to play against the Raiders on Sunday. Barring a setback, we're expecting him to start and act as a workhorse. Smith is averaging an impressive 6.9 yards per carry and 9.2 yards per catch with four touchdowns since signing back on with the Lions in Week 10.

Related: Maurice Morris, Keiland Williams Source: Chris McCosky on Twitter

So now I get to spend the whole rest of the week trying to decide if I can trust Kevin Smith to make it through a whole game in my semifinal matchup. :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread