What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

KFAN in MNPLS/STP CONFIRMING Gus Frerotte will START (1 Viewer)

i think pretty much every fan in Minnesota wants some questions answered. I am glad they are putting Frerotte in so we can see if it has been the team around the QB that just isn't that good or if it actually is the QB that needs to be a playmaker and not just a game manager. If Frerotte fails, there is no doubt that all the blame should be placed on the coaching staff. If he succeeds and makes this team better, great, then we know TJack was probably not the answer, not at this stage anyhow. Either way, IMO, it's a win/win for vikings fans. We get to see if we are for real or if all the hype going into the season was way too much. On one hand I am hoping to god Frerotte is a step up from TJack so we can start winning some games. On the other hand I am hoping Frerotte fails so we can ride Childress out of town.

tietzjd said:
fasteddie_21 said:
tietzjd said:
Inside sources say "Jackson will be on the PUP soon" as his knee is worse then most think.
PUP or IR?Interesting development today, for sure.
PUP, but this source only right about 70% of time, Good enough for me to say somthing here...... But with all unconfirmed stuff take it with grain of salt.
Can't go on PUP. Your source sucks.

didn't i see on ESPN last week, i think, that Gruden had contacted San Fran to see if they were interested in Garcia?

i wouldn't be surprised if they make a play for Garcia, especially since they know he's on the market. i think that is a more likely scenario than booty stepping onto the field this year.

PatrickT said:
Andy Dufresne said:
tietzjd said:
Inside sources say "Jackson will be on the PUP soon" as his knee is worse then most think.
Well that really sucks. If they do that, they have to pick someone else up, right?
I took that post as sarcasm. :)
PUP, but this source only right about 70% of time, Good enough for me to say somthing here...... But with all unconfirmed stuff take it with grain of salt.
Guess it wasn't sarcasm. My bad.

tietzjd said:
fasteddie_21 said:
tietzjd said:
PUP or IR?Interesting development today, for sure.
Can't go on PUP. Your source sucks.
Some times he talks out #### some times he is correct. Go figgure.

The Hank said:
Wonder what Culpepper is thinking right now...
Nothing. There's more chance of me playing for the Vikings than Culpepper.
didn't i see on ESPN last week, i think, that Gruden had contacted San Fran to see if they were interested in Garcia?i wouldn't be surprised if they make a play for Garcia, especially since they know he's on the market. i think that is a more likely scenario than booty stepping onto the field this year.
Booty? Good lord, no!Edit: (Unless they're 1-12, I guess.)

Last edited by a moderator:
didn't i see on ESPN last week, i think, that Gruden had contacted San Fran to see if they were interested in Garcia?
Didn't the same report also make a point of saying they hadn't contacted Minny because they host the Vikes in November?

Frerotte is what he is. A decent veteran QB. He won't have to carry the offense...just manage it. His career QB rating isn't too good, but I have no doubt he's better than Jackson (at least right now). He can throw the ball & his experience will definitely help. Not sure about FF. He might be a decent backup/emergency starter.

I thought TJ looked kind of hamstrung. Like it was stick to the plan and no changing it on your own. He just seemed very mechanical and if the plan wasn't working, his improvisational skills were either just not there or not allowed to be utilized. I thought Chilli's playcalling seemed to reflect the same. It was this is the plan and this is how we're going to win. And when the plan wasn't getting it done, the team either didn't seem to know how to deal with it or weren't willing to deviate from it.

Everything (except ADP) seemed mechanical. Whether it was crappy, unimaginative play calling from the sidelines, a lack of confidence (maybe rightfully, maybe not) in TJ's abilities or what I dunno.

I didn't think Ziggy was a coach-from-the-front-office kinda guy, and I really figured Childress as way too stubborn to make this kind of move this early, especialy after being so adamant about TJ being ready. So maybe either or both have been listening to too much talk radio?

Didn't the same report also make a point of saying they hadn't contacted Minny because they host the Vikes in November?
Yes, I remember hearing that too.P.S. I've got tickets for that game. I've been waiting about 3 or 4 years for them to come here.

Ziggy is desperate for a new stadium. This team has to win something now. Even if it's just a playoff game. The division would be better.

My guess is that Wilf saw what the rest of us see - that Childress has no confidence in Jackson winning games. So much so that he gives him no chance to make a play. If it's that low, get the kid out of there and give it another go with a guy that at least has some experience.

As much as I'd like to see this make a difference, there were a few games last year that TJax couldn't play and the offense didn't look that much different- Shiancoe still can't hold onto the ball when he sees the goal line (remember last year's loss to KC?), they're just starting to get ADP involved in the passing game, the pass needs to be used more than just for long downs (some WRs just need to get in a rhythm), and when you're ahead deep in opponent's territory with the lead, you need the killer instinct to go for it on 4th and short sometimes rather than settle for FGs.

If TJax's knee really is still a problem, the way he was running vs. the Pack really didn't seem to suggest anything was still wrong there...but I can't see him getting another shot after this.

Is Frerotte better than Holcomb? I guess he is, but they're both inconsistent (hence the reason why they're both career backups).

Yes, I remember hearing that too.P.S. I've got tickets for that game. I've been waiting about 3 or 4 years for them to come here.
I'm heading down to catch this game too (from MN). I figure the Vikes will be a pretty big draw, and that I should maybe use stubhub or craigslist to get tickets as opposed to trying to scalp. Thoughts?As far as the Frerotte move, I tend to agree with Andy D. It reeks of desperation and Frerotte isn't the answer. If you're going to play an average QB, you might as well play the young, mobile average QB. I can't believe they didn't just give up a 2nd rounder for Rosenfels when they had the chance. The play calling is as much to blame as anything...although Jackson really seemed to have issues going through his reads sometimes. You could see a quick slant coming right after the snap, becuase he would never look anywhere else.

Is Frerotte better than Holcomb? I guess he is, but they're both inconsistent (hence the reason why they're both career backups).
I would take Frerotte over Holcomb, yes.Here's the bigger problem. The QB situation isn't one that's obviously fixable for the near future.

Next year's expected QB FA's

Jeff Garcia, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Rex Grossman, UFA, Chicago Bears

Kyle Boller, UFA, Baltimore Ravens

Charlie Batch, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Matt Cassel, UFA, New England Patriots

J.P. Losman, UFA, Buffalo Bills

Kyle Orton, UFA, Chicago Bears

Patrick Ramsey, UFA, Denver Broncos

Kurt Warner, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

And none of the rookie QB's you could possibly draft in '09 are going to make an immediate impact.

So that leaves us exploring a trade. Who you gonna trade for? (I'd love Brady Quinn...)

I would take Frerotte over Holcomb, yes.Here's the bigger problem. The QB situation isn't one that's obviously fixable for the near future.

And none of the rookie QB's you could possibly draft in '09 are going to make an immediate impact.

So that leaves us exploring a trade. Who you gonna trade for? (I'd love Brady Quinn...)
I'd take Seneca Wallace from SEA in a heartbeat. Send 'em Bobby Wade or something since WRs are an afterthought in this system anyway.

I'd take Seneca Wallace from SEA in a heartbeat. Send 'em Bobby Wade or something since WRs are an afterthought in this system anyway.
Hey, now you're thinking. Put AP/Chet/Tapeh on the field together and have Wallace run the wishbone.

I'm heading down to catch this game too (from MN). I figure the Vikes will be a pretty big draw, and that I should maybe use stubhub or craigslist to get tickets as opposed to trying to scalp. Thoughts?
There are still hundreds of tickets available on ticketmaster. Just a couple years ago, I thought that I would have to scalp to get tickets to this game, but ticket sales have dropped off for the Bucs.

Charlie Batch would be a massive upgrade to this offense. Anybody remember how good he was when Ben went down in 2006?Kurt Warner would be great too, but I think he'll be the starter in ARI for a few more years.

normnailz said:
i think pretty much every fan in Minnesota wants some questions answered. I am glad they are putting Frerotte in so we can see if it has been the team around the QB that just isn't that good or if it actually is the QB that needs to be a playmaker and not just a game manager. If Frerotte fails, there is no doubt that all the blame should be placed on the coaching staff. If he succeeds and makes this team better, great, then we know TJack was probably not the answer, not at this stage anyhow. Either way, IMO, it's a win/win for vikings fans. We get to see if we are for real or if all the hype going into the season was way too much. On one hand I am hoping to god Frerotte is a step up from TJack so we can start winning some games. On the other hand I am hoping Frerotte fails so we can ride Childress out of town.
I disagree that it's a win win for the Vikings and the fans. (with all due respect)I see the real problem as they are not letting Tjack loose. Open the dam* playbook and let's see if he can play or not. Period.Enough monkeying around. The play calling is atrocious.Gus Frerotte....good lord people. How many people here would rather have Gus Frerotte as your home team's starting QB over what you currently have now?Exactly...yet that's what us Vikings fans get.Tjack isn't any more injured than I am. It's Childress' way of "not benching him".If I'm Tjack...I'm furious.Let the kid play....but don't hold anything back Chilly.I'd rather know right now he's not ready but may be a baller in the future rather than have you turn the reigns over to a never-was and struggle to go 8-8 this season. If we ain't gonna make the playoffs, then lets see what he have in TJack.Also....I FIRMLY believe the only reason they made the statement today was to sell out the rest of the Vikings tickets that nobody wants.Ziggy doesn't want a black out.

For the MIN homers: I got the impression this summer that Childress was super high on Jackson. From the blowing off the Favre to MIN talk to him just raving about how he looked like a totally different QB in camp.

Was this not accurate? Or has he changed his tune? Is the feeling this wasn't a Childress decision?

J

Sigmund Bloom said:
Jackson is being scapegoated here. I think he's improved from last year, and if Shiancoe catches that TD, giving Minnesota the spark early to get over the top and beat Indy, no one is complaining about Jackson. Berrian wasn't getting open, and Rice got hurt in the second half. I think he's doing a better job of running the offense than he did last year, and if Frerotte plays like he did in St Louis last year, Minny fans are going to be wishing Jackson was never pulled.
I think the real goat of Sunday is Childress. TOO CONSERVATIVE. His having no guts to let Tarvaris sink or swim. The entire NFL knows that the VIkes have to run up the gut -- yet they try nothing exotic to spread out the field, not even so much as a wrinkle. 5 FGs unless you allready leading by a TD or playing the Bears should never happen. After the third one, they should have started going for it.

Trade for Trent Green (StL), Mark Brunnell (NO), J.P. Losman (Buf), Chris Redman (Atl), Matt Leinart (Arz)???

Sign Joey Harrington?

When does Mike Vick get out of jail?

I'm heading down to catch this game too (from MN). I figure the Vikes will be a pretty big draw, and that I should maybe use stubhub or craigslist to get tickets as opposed to trying to scalp. Thoughts?
Buy from ticketexchange.
Appears to be only for home games?
Oh. I'm sorry, I missed that you meant you were going to Tampa for the game. My bad.Looks like there's something similar through NFL.com

Well the "Jackson is the Vikings qb of the future" talk can stop. I don't see them going back to him. Frerotte is a pocket passer, just not a good one. The "Vikings have no qb" talk in the pre-season obviously was spot on. I think they will be slightly improved but not much. They still don't have any top notch receiving options. Rice is hurt, Berrian is Berrian, their te's aren't great, Peterson can't really catch out of the backfield. It may help some, but I don't see them rattling off 10 straight with Frerotte. It's not like Frerotte is Warner or even Leftwich. What has the guy really done. His best year he posted 9 wins. Honestly, take away Peterson, and the Vikings are pretty much the NFC version of the Ravens.

The bigger problem is the playcalling, and the coaching staff's inability to develop qb's.

The Hank said:
Does this help or hurt ADP/CTaylor?
Can one of you pillagers from the North take a breath and answer Hank's question. I just want to know when ADP is going to hit paydirt twice a week.No im not greedy.

I said it in the offseason, but the perfect QB (who is available) for that team is Chad Pennington. He is a weak starting QB because of his limitations (which are bad), but he is an accurate guy and play actions extremly well and will be enough to keep the defenses honest. Minnesota should call the Dolphins now

The Hank said:
Does this help or hurt ADP/CTaylor?
Can one of you pillagers from the North take a breath and answer Hank's question. I just want to know when ADP is going to hit paydirt twice a week.No im not greedy.
It only helps it if Childress decides to do something more than pile AP into the backs of his tackles two out of three downs.

Socrates11 said:
Sigmund Bloom said:
Jackson is being scapegoated here. I think he's improved from last year, and if Shiancoe catches that TD, giving Minnesota the spark early to get over the top and beat Indy, no one is complaining about Jackson. Berrian wasn't getting open, and Rice got hurt in the second half. I think he's doing a better job of running the offense than he did last year, and if Frerotte plays like he did in St Louis last year, Minny fans are going to be wishing Jackson was never pulled.
:goodposting:
actually, i dont agree. Too many shoulda coulda woulds do not fly. Sooner or later you have to put up. Please dont bring up his record as a starter from last year either. That team was on a roll with or without Jackson.

For the MIN homers: I got the impression this summer that Childress was super high on Jackson. From the blowing off the Favre to MIN talk to him just raving about how he looked like a totally different QB in camp.Was this not accurate? Or has he changed his tune? Is the feeling this wasn't a Childress decision?J
Yes/no. This is the story we were sold for months and is why I personally think there's more to this than simply Jackson playing poorly two games in. An implosion of the veterans on the team, a conversation that went poorly between Jackson and Chilly, Zigi becoming involved.....something that made months of "wait till you see the new T-Jack" talk completely vanish in two weeks.But there has also been reason to be suspicious given how much interest in Rosenfels there was and then the obvious interest they had in Favre. All in all, it seems to have been poor decision after poor decision on the part of Childress. I hope one of the Wilf's has already sent feelers out to Cowher's people.

Users who are viewing this thread