What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Knile Davis vs Charcandrick West - Who You Want?! (1 Viewer)

Who in PPR?

• Total voters

Kenny Powers

Footballguy
I figured for sure there wouldve been a thread like this started Sun or yesterday but I dont see anything. Poll started.

Honestly its anyone's guess. Im leaning that im going to put in a far higher FAAB for West as I feel he will be the more productive back if him and Davis both get equal touches, but who knows how Reid will divvy up the touches. Of course Davis is more of the "incumbent" backup so that benefits him.

I dont recall Davis to be considered anything but average as far as receiving goes. Anyone know the perception of West's receiving ability?

West in either format - it's his job to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
First on waivers and torn. West seems like the guy but I have a hard time not seeing Davis at least be a GL vulture and this league isn't ppr. Then what if they sign Tate or PT? Really torn on who the guy will be.

First on waivers and torn. West seems like the guy but I have a hard time not seeing Davis at least be a GL vulture and this league isn't ppr. Then what if they sign Tate or PT? Really torn on who the guy will be.
They promoted Spencer Ware from the practice squad, so it's now unlikely that they sign PT or Tate. Ware is more of a power runner, similar to Davis.

I understand the fear of TD vulturing, but Charles is not a power RB and Reid rarely took him out at the goal line. I think Knile will only get the GL carries if West proves to be incompetent in power situations (which he hasn't so far).

I already own West and given what we know at this point, would choose him over Davis in any format.

I also have the #2 ww and wonder if its worth using it on Davis too to see how it plays out for a week or 2 or try to immediately deal to the Charles owner.

Posted this in the other thread

Brian westbrook 5'10" 203 lbs 4.57 40

Lesean mccoy 5'11" 207 4.45 40

Jamaal Charles 5'11" 199 4.36 40

Charcandrick west 5'10" 205. He was timed at his pro day with a wind aided 4.27, 4.54 into the wind, and a 4.36. Regardless of his actual time, he's plenty fast.

He seems to catch the ball well and he can really turn the corner. He seems to be able to run inside although the sample size is really small.

Ssad posted clips of every play the last two games, which is basically his entire NFL career. He looked really good this week. Last week he didn't look that great, but had a couple little flashes. Hard to read too much into it.

Reid said you can't replace Jamaal, but of the two West has more flash, quick, knows how to dance. But Knile has gotten the job done when he's had the opportunity (couple 100 yard games)so they'll utilize both.

IMO this is not a clear bell cow / handcuff situation. West is like a new Hellcat with a shiny plastic dip coat and everyone thinks it's LJ replacing Priest. I think both banks are in line for 10-15 touches per week unless. Davis is a load. Lightening and thunder, different backs for different down/distance.

But game flow will be a big part of it, no? If you think they'll be behind and throwing a lot, West seems to offer more upside. If they're playing smash mouth or trying to milk clock, Davis.

Does Reid's history of replacing McCoy when Shady missed time offer clues about what might happen? When Charles missed time it was pretty much all KD, but he has a talented rookie he can give a shot to so this is different.

but he has a talented rookie he can give a shot to so this is different.
West is not a rookie.
Right, PS guy last year.

Found this blurb interesting, though I can't vouch for the author:

At his pro day, West also displayed strong explosion, with a 41-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot, 10-inch broad jump. As leaper, he is elite.

West, however, is not very agile, performing the three-cone drill and short shuttle in 7.08 and 4.40 seconds, for an 11.48 Agility Score, which is very subpar for a mid-sized RB.

Now, there are RBs with good straight-line speed and explosiveness and poor agility who have success in the NFL. In general, though, those RBs tend to be bigger and to look like Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, and DeMarco Murray . . . and Knile Davis.

This is not to say that West cant be a productive NFL RB. He could be. This is just to say that the small and mid-sized RBs who have NFL success typically dont have an athletic profile similar to his. Rather, they tend to be agile. For instance, as prospects Charles, Ray Rice, and LeSean McCoy all displayed strong agility in their pre-draft workouts.

Ok so it's west. So how much faab are people putting on both?
Thats the question for me as well, as a Jamaal owner who has about 65% of money left Im wondering what to do. I dont want to throw too much at West, and I think at this point ive spent 2nd or 3rd most of FAAB.

I only have about a third of my FAAB left. I'm thinking of bidding about 25%. If it works out, I can trade one of my other RBs.

If it doesn't work out, well, that would be par for the course for me this year.

I only have about a third of my FAAB left. I'm thinking of bidding about 25%. If it works out, I can trade one of my other RBs.

If it doesn't work out, well, that would be par for the course for me this year.
He should be going for at least half of anyones total FA bid. No way you get him for 25%.

Anyone blowing their load on West in the FFPC? 970+ FAAB?
That's pure f'ing insanity right there. There's no way he's worth a 97% bid.

As I said in the C West thread, I truly believe this will be an even RBBC for ROS but I also want to hedge a bit because of all the hype around this kid. I'm going $500 (50%).

As I said in the C West thread, I truly believe this will be an even RBBC for ROS but I also want to hedge a bit because of all the hype around this kid. I'm going $500 (50%).
Risky to go all in, but could pay off if that's what it takes to get him. And like everything else it depends on a lot of other factors, like your roster depth in case of other injuries.

It's not often a true stud on a run-first team goes down for the year and another guy possibly gets the chance to shine. A better scenario isn't likely to present itself all year, so I'm willing to take the chance and be wrong instead of missing out.

Risky to go all in, but could pay off if that's what it takes to get him. And like everything else it depends on a lot of other factors, like your roster depth in case of other injuries.

It's not often a true stud on a run-first team goes down for the year and another guy possibly gets the chance to shine. A better scenario isn't likely to present itself all year, so I'm willing to take the chance and be wrong instead of missing out.
I think people are too conservative with FAAB. The FFPC has a huge roster so there is almost never anyone of value on the waiver wire. If someone really wanted West and had a depleted RB/core and/or Charles I don't think it's unreasonable to put in 95% of FAAB on him. You have to take chances; the regular season FFPC is almost half over.

I spent my remaining budget on West (had 66% left). The league does allow for $0 bids, so certainly that's a factor.

I'm a big believer in blowing my budget early if good opportunities arise. If I'm going to spend on someone, I prefer guys that can help 10 weeks instead of 5. I overbid for sure, but if I had left 10% of my budget, that wouldn't have been enough to make a difference if a similar opportunity arises later in the season.

PPR. Had both Charcandrick and KDavis. Just now gulped and dropped KDavis for Bradshaw (yes, the league has FCFS).

Perhaps I just dropped an eventual lead dog for a backup. I dunno. But figured there is a real chance of an ongoing time share in KC. Should that happen, I'd rather have the presumed ppr back and then take my shot on Bradshaw for a bye-week filler. If one back should emerge for the Chiefs, since their offense is poor enough and their defense porous enough to this point, that back is most likely to be the receiving back which seemingly is Charcandrick.

Davis appears to still be more highly owned. He also has the higher projection for the week on FleaFlicker,so obviously not everyone thinks West is the guy. Then again, I've found FleaFlicker's projections aren't very reliable (first year using it).

I whiffed on West but got Davis. Not that disappointed. I've always liked him - passes the eye test.

Got him in the main event for $701. Next bid was $569. Surprised I got him actually since there were several teams with all or most of their money intact...................

Have Davis as well, so don't care who takes the lead role, but my feeling is West................

Bid 608 for West in one league, where I had Charles, but lost to 777. In another he went for 804.

I am going to be contrarian on this one. I think K.Davis over the course of the season will become more of the bell cow.

Knile is built like a bell cow. West is built like COP. Even though he's about the size of JC, he's not the talent that JC is/was.

Anyone else holding both for now?

I have both in a short bench 14 team league but will have to get rid of one soon. I'm shopping Davis for WR3 types or a defense to some teams who are really thin at RB.

Ideally I'd like to keep both for a week or 2 to see how it plays out but will have to cut one soon if I cant pull off a trade.

Knile is built like a bell cow.
If only he would run like one.
Yeah when he has been given starts because of Charles injuries he has played pretty well. Last season he did run for 463 yards and 6 TD's and caught 16 for 147 and a TD. Not a great YPC but for fantasy purposes he produced when you had to plug him in.

22/79/2 and 6/26

32/132/1

16/107

16/49/1

I would say he got it done for fantasy purposes and I think he can again. Looks like a true RBBC if West does indeed play well too.

Davis is certainly worth a flier in 12 team leagues and should be a goal line vulture to boot.

As the owner who lost Charles, ended up getting West for $56 which is 28% of FAAB budget (but 43% of my remaining budget). Davis actually went for $66, which is the highest bid for any player so far this year in my league. Not sure if he was trying to block me as the Charles owner or actually prefers Davis to West. I had the 2nd highest bid for Davis at $31 but obviously lost. We were the only 2 bids for Davis, while 5 people put in bids for West.

West will be in my flex this week over byes and banged up guys.

We shall see.

It's funny, I think the general perception of Davis, especially after filling in admirably last season for a few games, was that he was Charles' heir apparent and a great dynasty stash. I certainly felt that way, and aggressively tried to acquire him in a league where I own Charles, but the asking price was too high.

He did have some big games, but in his career he has 225 carries for 756 yards for 3.36 yards a pop. His fantasy points were a bit inflated by his rushing TD's, which is not a bad thing, but also not something that is necessarily sustainable or predictive of future performance. He has been solid as a receiver, catching 29 of 43 for 246 and a TD, but still, his numbers overall have been underwhelming. Perhaps the perception never really meshed with reality.

Is it all clear to drop Davis? Doesn't even look like he is the #2 anymore.
If West were to go down I dont think Ware becomes the starter. I'd guess it would be a RBBC that may slightly favor Davis. That said, not sure that means Davis should still be rostered.

Davis worth a hold in redraft if have deep benches. In case West gets hurt, as KC plays some poor run defenses down the stretch.

I think West clearly fits what Reid wants to do on offense the best of the current options.

It's funny, I think the general perception of Davis, especially after filling in admirably last season for a few games, was that he was Charles' heir apparent and a great dynasty stash. I certainly felt that way, and aggressively tried to acquire him in a league where I own Charles, but the asking price was too high.

He did have some big games, but in his career he has 225 carries for 756 yards for 3.36 yards a pop. His fantasy points were a bit inflated by his rushing TD's, which is not a bad thing, but also not something that is necessarily sustainable or predictive of future performance. He has been solid as a receiver, catching 29 of 43 for 246 and a TD, but still, his numbers overall have been underwhelming. Perhaps the perception never really meshed with reality.
I agree some people really like Knile Davis who has excellent measurables from the combine and as you mention he was productive in a few games.

I think the stats with Davis can be somewhat misleading if you do not look at the game stats.

In 2013 Chales didn't play in the last game and then rookie Knile Davis got 27 carries 81 yards 2TD 4 targets 2 receptions 5 yards. This makes for a great day in fantasy but Davis only had 3 yards/carry and well below average in yards/reception as well.

In 2014 Charles left game two early and does not play week 3.

Davis week 2 gets 22 carries 79 yards 2 TD 9 targets 6 receptions 26 yards.

Week 3 32 carries 132 yards 1 TD 1 target 0 receptions.

Week 4 Charles comes back and both he and Davis have good game against the Patirots.Davis gets 16 carries 107 yards 2 targets 1 reception for 12 yards.

The reason I bolded the 9 targets from week 2 of 2014 is because his next highest target game was the last game of 2013 where he had 4 targets but Charles did not play in that game. My guess is that they had a lot of passes to the RB in their game plan before Charles was injured and they used the same plan after Davis entered the game. He does not do that well with the receptions only gaining 4.3 yards for each. Although throwing to the RB is a big part of Reids game plan Davis isn't good enough in this area of his game, so Reid opted to give him more carries instead.

West is better at what Reid wants his RBs to do.

I am not sure if Spencer Ware fits in the passing game better than Davis does or not. Both have split limited carries behind West.

I think this is a great example of just how talented NFL players are. An offense that did not want to throw to its RB much could likely feature Knile Davis and be successful doing so. Despite this West and Ware may have more well rounded skill set than Davis has and fit some teams schemes better than Davis does.

Put Davis on the Bengals and he is Jeremy Hill but not as good as Hill as a reciever.

This isn't up for debate anymore is it? Surprised the Davis votes haven't all been deleted and changed. Davis has been getting dropped in most if my dynasty leagues now.

What I'm curious about now is who would be next man up in the event West got injured. I'm thinking we'd see a split between Davis/Ware initially with Thomas seeing a bump in the short passing game. I think Davis would eventually cede 1st/2nd down and GL work to Ware however.

Davis = T-rich 2.0
No vision?

I think Knile Davis may have some change of direction and agility limitations but I have not really watched him enough to say he fails to recognize where the hole is like Richardson.
They're similar in my mind in that they both have great athleticism but have mental issues at the line of scrimmage. I'm not sure if Davis has a vision problem per se. His problem is that he tries to bounce the runs that are meant to go between the tackles to the outside too much, probably either due to wanting to hit the home run or trying to avoid contact from middle linebackers coming full speed. Either way it seems like the problem has progressively gotten worse and it shows in his YPC and is the reason why West is currently ahead of him.

Well I certainly whiffed on this one. Davis has played himself to 3rd string it seems. West is entrenched. As he should be. He has looked good.

Users who are viewing this thread