What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kolb to AZ... (2 Viewers)

'G-King said:
'Snotbubbles said:
'G-King said:
Bingo ^ Avant dropped a pass in one game, and Celek in another that were in their hands, wide open. Both games become wins, and Kolb is carried out on their shoulders. fast forward to today and now AZ got a steal in the deal! Amazing when people look at mere stats instead of the games.
G-King, I love your inside info on Kolb, but you a bit biased on the situation.
haha, no doubt I'm biased. But you as an Eagles fan can't deny what I wrote? You watched those two games, and my point is that if you add the 20-30 yards, 1 more TD, and the win to each of those games, then the guys spouting off his stats who did not even watch what happened then think he is the next Warner. Just saying that the stats do not always reflect what happened.Agree?
Agree, which is why when I look at a game like NO where he threw for 391 yards, I temper my enthusiasm because I know that for most of the second half NO was playing prevent because they were up by so much and Kolb still threw an interception deep in his own territory that basically ended the game in the third quarter for Philly.It goes both ways.I say this, and I like Kolb, even if I'm not entirely sold on him as a starter.

"To be quite honest, first it was the stadium. I mean, the stadium was tremendous," Kolb said. "I was shocked by it. The city alone, just how clean and nice the city looked. Granted, I was coming from Philadelphia, but it was just a great city."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"To be quite honest, first it was the stadium. I mean, the stadium was tremendous," Kolb said. "I was shocked by it. The city alone, just how clean and nice the city looked. Granted, I was coming from Philadelphia, but it was just a great city."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
That was a great quote.Sounds like a lot of optimism around Cards camp. Let's see how it plays out.

Call me a believer in Kolb, but I think this was a great trade for both teams. I believe the guy will be a franchise player. He has good motion, good arm, and he's a smart QB. For a franchise QB, I think ARI just became the powerhouse in the West.

I've said it before and I still stand by it - Kevin Kolb could easily be the better long term prospect than Michael Vick. Remember once Matt Schaub was behind Michael Vick.

Kolb is a very solid WCO QB and a true FootballGuy - in all senses of that. Loves the game, lives it, strong work ethic, smart QB. The Eagles got what they paid for him (a 2nd) when they picked him plus DRC. The Cards got a more proven QB than what they'd have selected with a 2nd round pick and they felt DRC was more expendable after drafting Patrick Peterson. Win-win deal.

Arizona and Fitz will be very happy. Rebuild the O-line, get Ryan Williams in the backfield and use Andre Roberts (and possibly Housler) more and things will work out well - as soon as this year possibly.

Kolb sucks.

Guy breaks down under pressure, which he will get plenty of behind AZ's offensive line.

He isn't athletic.

He isn't a playmaker.

He hasn't proven a damn thing on the field.

No way is he worth that contract and DRC and 2nd rounder.

Cardinals lose.

I hope Graves' ### gets canned for this after they suck for the next two years.

Kolb is lucky he just went to the worst division in football or they would have been calling for his head after 1 month.

Hate this trade.

Kolb sucks.Guy breaks down under pressure, which he will get plenty of behind AZ's offensive line.He isn't athletic.He isn't a playmaker.He hasn't proven a damn thing on the field.No way is he worth that contract and DRC and 2nd rounder.Cardinals lose.I hope Graves' ### gets canned for this after they suck for the next two years.Kolb is lucky he just went to the worst division in football or they would have been calling for his head after 1 month.Hate this trade.
:goodposting: What I find funny is they didn't see what he had before giving him a HUGE deal...they just paid him. Huge mistake that will cost the Cardinals for years to come. Im just glad he didn't end up with the Seahawks.

Kolb sucks.Guy breaks down under pressure, which he will get plenty of behind AZ's offensive line.He isn't athletic.He isn't a playmaker.He hasn't proven a damn thing on the field.No way is he worth that contract and DRC and 2nd rounder.Cardinals lose.I hope Graves' ### gets canned for this after they suck for the next two years.Kolb is lucky he just went to the worst division in football or they would have been calling for his head after 1 month.Hate this trade.
I don't know if there are enough FBG Cardinals fans to have their own thread but if so, LHUCKS vs GKing will be worth the price of admission. :popcorn:

yes!!!!Given your track record he will be a pro bowler and the Cards in the playoffs.

Kolb is similar to Matt Cassel
Unpack that.IIRC Kolb isn't Drew Bledsoe or Troy Aikman (QB statues that need a map to exit a pocket) nor is he a Vick-type runner, but he did run quite a bit in college. I didn't see much of him at UH but here's the numbers:Kolb ran over 100 times a season for all four years as a starter in Houston.http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=1203361(Granted sacks are sometimes counted as rushes, but still - 100+ is a good number)My spotlight on him in 2010:http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/spotlight.php?yr=2010&id=KolbKe00...and yes, LHUCKS' not liking KK means he's going to the Pro Bowl for sure.

He isn't athletic.
What? Compared to Vick, ok maybe not... he's probably as athletic as Aaron Rodgers is though...
These two scouting links show they are pretty much the same athletehttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=15212&draftyear=2005&genpos=QB

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=13052&draftyear=2007&genpos=qb

Kolb will be just fine in AZ. Top 20 FF QB easily this year. Settle down...

I like the deal for the Cards. After realizing Hucks hates it I like it more.

This guy is a real life Moosh, I am totally serious. I've been here for 10 years and I cant remember 1 guy he was high on that worked out. Going all the way back to the "Buy Santana Moss Year" Man he was passionate about Moss. Steal of the draft!!

3 good games and 13 bad ones later he had a new steal. And after that one didnt work out even a newer steal. Craps. And on and on every year.

I'm buying on Kolb because track records speak for themselves.

I've said it before and I still stand by it - Kevin Kolb could easily be the better long term prospect than Michael Vick. Remember once Matt Schaub was behind Michael Vick.
Where's the point here???Vick (prison term and all) is still a better long term prospect than Schaub. Vick did something last year Schaub's yet to do -- go to the playoffs. And Houston ain't exactly lacking weapons...NFL's leeading rusher, arguably top WR.Kolb looked terrible Week 1 vs. GB, Trent Edwards/Matt Leinart-like in relief vs. Washington and terrible vs. the Boys. (Please save the excuses/injured players/circumstances in all the contests -- that IS what happened)---------------Quite humorous Hucksie is bagging on Kolb's athletic ability after getting made to be a fool with a statue like Leinart. Any Card fan here saw Captain Checkdown, WR killer wasn't for the long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing about the Kolb projections that really bother me are these, he's had exactly 7 starts in his career. And people are ready to call him a bust.

There are at least 3 young Qbs that get 7 starts this year and people will be saying "He's just getting his legs underneath him" and they would be right. But won't extend Kolb the same courtesy. Can we let him just get his sealegs?

This is how bad decisions are made. Plenty of guys with less upside than him were given a whole lot more latitude to find their comfort zone before declaring them a bust.

I could name a couple of HOF's who looked atrocious thru their first year. But 7 games is enough for this guy? Bad analysis and you get what you deserve.

http://www.draftmaven.com/blog/kevin-kolb-a-desert-illusion-of-talent-waiting-to-happen-

Nice article on how he is not that great...

I also enjoy this statistic...maybe it will cheer up LHUCKS

Kolb has a penchant for taking more on-field risks than just about any quarterback around. His 4 percent bad-decision rate last year was tied for the third-highest total in that category. Since the definition of this metric is when a quarterback makes a mistake with the ball that leads either to a turnover or a near turnover (e.g. dropped interception), it means Kolb was making a mistake about once in every 25 pass attempts."

http://www.draftmaven.com/blog/kevin-kolb-a-desert-illusion-of-talent-waiting-to-happen-

Kolb has a penchant for taking more on-field risks than just about any quarterback around. His 4 percent bad-decision rate last year was tied for the third-highest total in that category. Since the definition of this metric is when a quarterback makes a mistake with the ball that leads either to a turnover or a near turnover (e.g. dropped interception), it means Kolb was making a mistake about once in every 25 pass attempts."
Do you remember the grade you gave Matt Hasselbeck after his first seven starts?

Where's the point here???Vick (prison term and all) is still a better long term prospect than Schaub. Vick did something last year Schaub's yet to do -- go to the playoffs. And Houston ain't exactly lacking weapons...NFL's leeading rusher, arguably top WR.Kolb looked terrible Week 1 vs. GB, Trent Edwards/Matt Leinart-like in relief vs. Washington and terrible vs. the Boys. (Please save the excuses/injured players/circumstances in all the contests -- that IS what happened)---------------Quite humorous Hucksie is bagging on Kolb's athletic ability after getting made to be a fool with a statue like Leinart. Any Card fan here saw Captain Checkdown, WR killer wasn't for the long term.
Not to hijack, but the Texans' defense has been their problem. The only reason HOU didn't go to the postseason is because their defense can't get off the field - which has zero to do with Schaub.Kolb - yes, terrible on his nine attempts. Horrible. Just go ahead and cut him. :rolleyes: I'll save the "excuses" (logical people call them reasons, but I won't let facts get in the way of your rant) and let you see how he really does as a starter for a full season. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't wind up a Top 15 fantasy QB even in Year 1.

I like the deal for the Cards. After realizing Hucks hates it I like it more.This guy is a real life Moosh, I am totally serious. I've been here for 10 years and I cant remember 1 guy he was high on that worked out. Going all the way back to the "Buy Santana Moss Year" Man he was passionate about Moss. Steal of the draft!!3 good games and 13 bad ones later he had a new steal. And after that one didnt work out even a newer steal. Craps. And on and on every year.I'm buying on Kolb because track records speak for themselves.
LHUCKS is the George Costanza of fantasy football.

Do you remember the grade you gave Matt Hasselbeck after his first seven starts?
Yes, and after 10 years Im glad to be rid of him. I knew watching him he would be nothing more than a serviceable QB and would NEVER win the Seahawks a super bowl.

Don't you Seahawks fans tend to believe that had a few bad calls gone your way that Hasselbeck and company would have won a Superbowl?

I have never understood the Kolb hate. I understand not being "sold" yet, but the hate is unbelievable, and illogical.

He has done more in his first 7 starts than all but a handful of QBs in the last 15 years. He was the first QB to throw for over 300 yards in his first 3 starts. Yeah...he looked bad against GB, but nobody watching with an open mind would have put that on him. They would have seen the incredible pressure GB brought and realized no QB (except maybe the historically elusive Vick) stood a chance. Fast forward a few weeks, and he's dissecting a HOT Atlanta team. 4% bad decision rate? For a guy with 7 starts? Wow....what an incredibly silly thing to base a decision on...go look at ANY stud QB and his rate after 7 starts. Kolb will be far from the worst. Ridiculous. Hell...you could easily pick 7 consecutive games in the career of ANY HOF QB...and find a "decision rate" worse than that, and not even look in their first full two seasons.

You don't have to be sold (although I am), but the bust label is not just innapropriate, it's plain stupid.

Tarvaris Jackson has better career numbers...
Tavaris Jackson sucks. He's played for 4 seasons now and hasnt shown squat. Kolb has played a handful of games and shown better potential than Jackson would ever dream of having. Kolb will be a good QB in this league. Hassleback is a good comparison. Perhaps even Schaub if given enough protection. Arizona and St Louis will be fighting for that division this year.

He isn't athletic.
What? Compared to Vick, ok maybe not... he's probably as athletic as Aaron Rodgers is though...
These two scouting links show they are pretty much the same athletehttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=15212&draftyear=2005&genpos=QB

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=13052&draftyear=2007&genpos=qb

top 20 ff qb? so what

He isn't athletic.

top 20 ff qb? so what
B/c I said easily. Bradford was 20 his rookie/first year starting. Top 20 is a far cry from "he isn't athletic" or "he will be a bust" or "this trade just sent us back decades" or whatever nonsense rambling has been going on. Its funny how AZ fans can get so righteous. Have they ever drafted a good QB? Like, ever? Should be very happy with Kolb. Guy is a pro's pro and a worker and leader. That is the so what, at least when it comes to the remote possibility of the woeful, cheap Bidwell-owned Cardinals acquiring a franchise QB.

a contrarian take...

i liked the below excerpt...

"The Cardinals obviously ignored this game and focused on his starts against Atlanta and San Francisco. Arizona got beat handily by both the Falcons and Niners last season and had to be impressed by tape of Kolb picking them apart. Kolb completed 44 of 60 passes for four touchdowns and just one interception in the two wins."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andrew_perloff/07/29/kevin-kolb-defense/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a2

Andrew Perloff > INSIDE THE NFL

With skeptics abound, Kevin Kolb will succeed in Arizona

"When the Cardinals and Eagles finally consummated the Kevin Kolb trade, several NFL experts questioned why Arizona gave up so much for a quarterback with seven career starts. Arizona sent starting cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick to Philadelphia and reportedly rewarded Kolb with a five-year, $63 million contract and $21 million guaranteed.

The Kolb backlash is surprising because very few people had a problem when Philadelphia got rid of Donovan McNabb and handed the starting job to Kolb before the 2010 season. The Eagles took a much bigger risk -- letting go of a potential Hall of Famer for Kolb -- than Arizona is by giving up a draft pick and a defensive player they weren't fully committed to.

Here are five common misconceptions about the Kolb trade and why the deal makes so much sense for the Cardinals:

Misconception 1: Kolb doesn't have good numbers

Kolb has 11 TDs and 14 INTs in his career, and compiled just 7 TDs and 7 INTs last season. But you have to discount Kolb's Week 17 meltdown against the Dallas Cowboys last season, when he threw three picks in an ugly 14-13 loss. With their playoff spot secured, the Eagles surrounded Kolb with second- and third-teamers and put no thought into their gameplan. Kolb's receivers made a few big drops and the wheels fell off quickly.

The Cardinals obviously ignored this game and focused on his starts against Atlanta and San Francisco. Arizona got beat handily by both the Falcons and Niners last season and had to be impressed by tape of Kolb picking them apart. Kolb completed 44 of 60 passes for four touchdowns and just one interception in the two wins.

Misconception 2: The Eagles have become experts at flipping ineffective QBs for high draft picks

Philadelphia famously ripped off Miami by exchanging quarterback A.J. Feely for a second-round pick in 2004. They received second- and fourth-round picks for McNabb from the Redskins last season. But both situations are very different from the Kolb trade.

Feely was a fifth-round pick out of Oregon, had benefited from being in Andy Reid's system and wasn't going to work elsewhere. Kolb was a high second-round pick (No. 36) and would have been a starter elsewhere by now if he hadn't landed in Philly. Other teams had been monitoring Kolb since before the Eagles committed to him as a starter.

The McNabb trade turned out to be a bad deal for the Redskins, but that had more to do with what was going on in Washington than anything wrong with the veteran quarterback. Mike Shanahan didn't have his system in place yet and never wanted McNabb to be the man running it.

Misconception 3: There was no competition for Kolb

The Seahawks signed Tarvaris Jackson and the Dolphins showed no interest in Kolb, so Arizona appeared to be the only team after Kolb. But keep in mind Kolb was also very valuable to the Eagles. Given his druthers, Reid would probably feel most settled going into this season with Michael Vick starting and Kolb right behind him. Vick's style of play makes him an injury risk, and even though new Eagles backup Vince Young is a former Pro Bowl quarterback, he doesn't know Reid's offense as well as Kolb does.

Kolb repeatedly said this offseason that Reid was "going to do right by him," meaning trading him somewhere he'd have a chance to start and sign a new contract. Kolb wanted out. Philadelphia didn't start this ball rolling.

Misconception 4: The Cardinals are overpaying for Kolb

Kolb was due just over $1 million this season, since he was finishing up a two-year contract extension with the Eagles. A team can't go into camp with its starting quarterback making less than special teams players, so they had to get a deal done quickly. While $21 million guaranteed sounds like a lot, it's in line for a good starting quarterback in the NFL. The Cardinals look at acquiring Kolb as a fresh start and want to build a positive atmosphere. If they had low-balled him, it would have been uncomfortable. And what if Kolb excelled and was a free agent after this season? He wouldn't be going back to Arizona.

Teams have to pay young quarterbacks on potential, because other teams don't let star quarterbacks hit free agency. The Cardinals would love to spend that money on Drew Brees, but that's never going to happen.

Misconception 5: The Cardinals could have brought in a veteran

Arizona presumably could have made a move for Matt Hasselbeck or Marc Bulger as a stopgap to help them mentor youngsters Max Hall and John Skelton. But if you saw Hall and Skelton last year, the only thing a mentor can do for them is make them a better placeholder on field goals. They're not destined to lead the Cardinals anywhere.

One of the reasons the Cardinals like Kolb is his personality. Going back to the University of Houston, Kolb has gained a reputation as a leader. That's why no one in Philly was upset when the Eagles let McNabb go. Kolb had already won over that locker room. And Kolb showed a lot of class by putting the team first after he lost his job to Michael Vick.

Kolb is also very savvy when it comes to Xs and Os. He has a lot of outside interests, including an obsession with fishing and hunting, but when you get him in front of a white board, he can break down offenses with any other quarterback in the league. He'll pick up Ken Whisenhunt's offense quickly and become an instant leader in the locker room."

I am glad Kolb went to AZ and not Seattle. I think he is error prone and makes bad choices, however AZ fans have a right to be excited after the QB crap that they had to go through last year.

I'm starting to like a what the Cards are doing this offseason. They are making a ton of moves, and it's good to see them addressing some problem areas. Picking up Heap and King will shore up the TE spot like we haven't seen in years, maybe never. I like the rumor of trading Hightower to Washington. The backfield was getting crowded and needs clarity. Also rumored that we are going after Braylon Edwards.

I'm not sure which of these moves will work out and which won't. But it sure is nice to see some action and effort in the offseason

I'm starting to like a what the Cards are doing this offseason. They are making a ton of moves, and it's good to see them addressing some problem areas. Picking up Heap and King will shore up the TE spot like we haven't seen in years, maybe never. I like the rumor of trading Hightower to Washington. The backfield was getting crowded and needs clarity. Also rumored that we are going after Braylon Edwards.I'm not sure which of these moves will work out and which won't. But it sure is nice to see some action and effort in the offseason
I hate the Kolb move, but I like the Heap and Hightower moves.If Kolb sucks I want Graves' head...he botched QB last year and he may have done it again, costing us 20 million. Time to fire that ########, he's costing us playoff appearances.

I'm starting to like a what the Cards are doing this offseason. They are making a ton of moves, and it's good to see them addressing some problem areas. Picking up Heap and King will shore up the TE spot like we haven't seen in years, maybe never. I like the rumor of trading Hightower to Washington. The backfield was getting crowded and needs clarity. Also rumored that we are going after Braylon Edwards.I'm not sure which of these moves will work out and which won't. But it sure is nice to see some action and effort in the offseason
I hate the Kolb move, but I like the Heap and Hightower moves.If Kolb sucks I want Graves' head...he botched QB last year and he may have done it again, costing us 20 million. Time to fire that ########, he's costing us playoff appearances.
I kind of agree. I don't hate the Kolb move, but I'm not a huge fan of it. We had to do something at QB, and it's good to see them go after the guy they think is the best.I still think we will have a bottom 5 pass D this year, but the offense should be much improved.

All you need to know right here to say this was the right move.

Would love to see Edwards and the Pittsburgh/Whisenhunt connected Randle-El end up here to stack the deck for Kolb. :thumbup:

'LHUCKS said:
'kutta said:
Probalby have the 2nd best QB in the division right now:shrug:

'LHUCKS said:
'kutta said:
That's really nothing to brag about.

'LHUCKS said:
'kutta said:
:goodposting:

'LHUCKS said:
'kutta said:
LOLyeah I guess you are right, but in the NFL when you think you can add a franchise QB you do it. Why do you think Tim Couch, Akili Smith et. all get drafted? Its a roll of the dice and the Heap and maybe the Braylon move will help Kolb get goingIm lukewarm on him as a player and Im a dynasty owner in 2 leagues.

I'll go on record to say I love this deal for AZ. And congrats to the Cards, they can finally start to go forward with a plan.

This guy was good enough to hand over the eagle offense to last year but not good enough to throw to Fitz this year?

WOW.
How did that work out for the eagles? Why didn't Reid go back to him?
Absolutely ridiculous to even remotely suggest they didn't go back to Kolb because of anything Kolb did wrong. Were you paying even a LITTLE bit of attention last year?
Yup, I drafted him last year. Watched him get injured / #### the bed game 1. Continued to watch him be nothing but mediocre weeks 4-7. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/KolbKe00-3.php#gl-2010Did you watch anything? To me he had the deer in headlights look all season. If he was the future and Reids guy they wouldn't be trading him.
1-3 through 4 games5 TDs, 4ints, 2 fumbles lost

The Eagles didn't go back to Kolb because he sucks.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3708/tarvaris-jackson

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4151/kevin-kolb

Tarvaris Jackson and Kolb have the same stats through 4 games....one was a lot cheaper. I would want neither.

LEG SWEPT!!

I'll go on record to say I love this deal for AZ. And congrats to the Cards, they can finally start to go forward with a plan.

This guy was good enough to hand over the eagle offense to last year but not good enough to throw to Fitz this year?

WOW.
How did that work out for the eagles? Why didn't Reid go back to him?
Do you watch any games other than the Seahawks? Serious question.
How did this work out for you? Nothing like checking back in after a year and seeing how silly people look.

LOLyeah I guess you are right, but in the NFL when you think you can add a franchise QB you do it. Why do you think Tim Couch, Akili Smith et. all get drafted? Its a roll of the dice and the Heap and maybe the Braylon move will help Kolb get goingIm lukewarm on him as a player and Im a dynasty owner in 2 leagues.
Crow?

Users who are viewing this thread