What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kolb to AZ... (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld opting for scenario #1

John Skelton - QB - Cardinals

Neither John Skelton nor Kevin Kolb will play in Arizona's preseason finale on Thursday.

Players of consequence are typically held out of the exhibition closer, but it wouldn't have been surprising had the Cardinals extended Kolb and Skelton's battle to a fourth round. As it is, it's a strong indication coach Ken Whisenhunt has seen all he needs to see. Skelton didn't exactly run with the job this summer, but it's probably still his to lose at this point.

I found this incredibly odd...

Beanie Wells - RB - Cardinals

Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams will both play in Thursday's preseason finale.

It's a bit odd, as important players typically sit out the exhibition closer, and coach Ken Whisenhunt has already said John Skelton and Kevin Kolb won't play. Wells and Williams could both use the live reps, however. Williams has begun to close in on Wells in Rotoworld's running back rankings, checking in at No. 38. Beanie is No. 30.

After the last game the blurb said they would both play. Now this is saying they won't, even after Wis admitted the QB situation was "murkier" following the last contest.

Here are the possibilities of what's going on IMO:

1. (Most likely) Wis had already made up his mind to start Skelton for the week 1 game, and wanted to do two things. Make sure Skelton was the player he thought (only threw three passes last game); and make sure Kolb is the player he thought he was. If this is the case, the murkier comment makes no sense.

2. Wanted to give Skelton one chance to slam the door shut, which he failed to do. Also wanted to give Kolb one chance to keep the door open, which he did. In this scenario Wis must have made up his mind to start Kolb after watching film on the game. Otherwise, the two of them not playing in the final game makes no sense.

3. The QB battle was always a farce, and Kolb was going to be the starter no matter what.

My money is on #3. I think Kolb starts, gets shell-shocked behind that line, and then Skelton is started sometime around week 5.
That is strange. The Cards are the only team in the league without a starting QB yet. That's ridiculous. Wiz needs to make a decision and move on.

Honestly I think it's all politics at this point.

He's looking at these two QBs behind this line and seeing disaster either way.

IMO he's going to give the job to Kolb simply to cover his ###. In terms of CYA, this is the only way to go, It's a win-win no matter what happens: If Kolb starts and succeeds, then the trade and money were well spent. If Kolb starts and fails, then he's shut the door on a bad trade without letting it continue to do damage to his team, and Skelton starts. If he starts Skelton and gives him 6-7 games, then benches him for Kolb, who wins, that's Wis's worst nightmare as he wasted half the season on a project while keeping the guy who cost a good DB and a 2nd round pick PLUS 7m for this season on the bench until it barely mattered.

If he starts Skelton I don't see how he can keep Kolb, kinda like when Denver started Tebow over Orton. Starting Skelton and then benching him for Kolb is just too disastrous for any coach to contemplate.

What are you saying now? :popcorn: All kind of quality in this thread.
Still terrible, nothing has changed although he is throwing the ball better in the pocket when given time.He has no pocket presence and he's not athletic enough to avoid sacks...that's a terrible combination when you're behind one of the worst offensive lines in football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still terrible, nothing has changed although he is throwing the ball better in the pocket when given time.He has no pocket presence and he's not athletic enough to avoid sacks...that's a terrible combination when you're behind one of the worst offensive lines in football.
Team 4-0, 62.6% comp percentage, 8tds, 2ints "behind one of the worst offensive lines in football". Terrible.

Andy Reid ... smartest man ever.
There's been gang rapes less brutal than that trade.
yes and yesBeen sayin it since day 1
I'll still say that was a brutal trade and that they paid him too much money. He's still terrible.I'm still not wrong.
Which part is terrible, the 4-0 record or his stat line?

Kolb stepped in and won the game week one.

And after Tannehill to Hartline :lmao: broke records on your defense, he lead the team down the field and tied the game at the end.

Do you think you would be 4-0 with Skelton? 2-2 tops.

Kolb stepped in and won the game week one.And after Tannehill to Hartline :lmao: broke records on your defense, he lead the team down the field and tied the game at the end. Do you think you would be 4-0 with Skelton? 2-2 tops.
Ah so he's relatively good compared to the rest of the BS they have at QB. That's not saying much.I'll need to remember to evaluate trades against a teams backups in future. It was a terrible trade.

'Donsmith753 said:
'JetMaxx said:
Kolb stepped in and won the game week one.And after Tannehill to Hartline :lmao: broke records on your defense, he lead the team down the field and tied the game at the end. Do you think you would be 4-0 with Skelton? 2-2 tops.
Ah so he's relatively good compared to the rest of the BS they have at QB. That's not saying much.I'll need to remember to evaluate trades against a teams backups in future. It was a terrible trade.
as of now he's relatively good compared to the rest of the QB's in the NFL this season. don't know why it's so absurd to think that the guy may actually be good, just because he stunk for a chunk of games last season. stranger things have happened.

He definitely looks better than he ever has in AZ. But he still has some serious flaws and serious decision making issues (case in point - the pick he threw late in the game in the endzone, that was horrible). He also took eight sacks, and while I agree a lot of those are on the offensive line, he needs to get rid of the ball faster.

But he has also looked really good at times. Coming back and leading the team down field, converting on two fourth downs, and throwing a game-tying TD after throwing that horrible pick really shows some moxy, and I like it.

I'm not sure where this team would be with Skelton. Maybe they would be scoring 30 points per game. Maybe they would be scoring 10. But I do think they are crazy if they go back to Skelton now. Kolb is winning, he's not making big mistakes, and it looks like the team is believing in him. They should ride this out and see where they end up.

'LHUCKS said:
'JetMaxx said:
Which part is terrible, the 4-0 record or his stat line?
Please tell me your not attributing the record to Kolb. The record is all defense, nothing more.
Come on man, give some credit where credit is due. Sure the defense is playing really well but if they were 0-4 and he was the guy, every AZ fan would be trashing him and calling for his head. They're 4-0 and the starting QB deserves his credit. The guy isn't losing ballgames and that should be all you can ask right now. You not happy with the team's start? Would you rather start the season over with Skelly in there and risk losing games if we had that kind of power? He's your guy for now and you ride him. Please don't tell me you're waiting for 1 bad game to say I told you so. We know he'll have that game but even the best have that game. He's playing within the game and Az is not a team you want to play right now, especially in AZ.

Wow, this guy is horrible. Doesn't even look in Fitz's direction for the td when he's wide open. :X I could toss it up in his direction. What a bum. :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what you expect from the guy. He doesn't have time to go through his reads, and every play he has to worry about holding onto the ball in case he gets hit, moving up to avoid the pressure while trying to find the open receiver, and getting physically beat up.

Aaron Rodgers didn't fare much better against Seattle when he was getting sacked eight times.

That said there was a lot Kolb can improve on, but he's getting way too much blame for things that he simply can't reasonably be expected to do in that environment.

Wow, this guy is horrible. Doesn't even look in Fitz's direction for the td when he's wide open. :X I could toss it up in his direction. What a bum. :thumbdown:
Last two games Fitz is getting 15 targets per :confused: They play your talking about Ducett was obviously his first read and he dropped the ball that was on point. Getting sacked so much he almost has to make that play. STL pass d is pretty good with Finnigen, that shocked me. What Kolb has been doing working with his line and run game is a miracle. Cards whole off season should be spent rebuilding their oline. I'm starting him vs Buf because Bree's is on bye, I doubt he makes it out alive after playing Min/SF.

Rotoworld.com

Cardinals beat writer Mike Jurecki says Kevin Kolb is open to restructuring his contract.Initially after the season, Kolb was reluctant to do so, but he sees the writing on the wall and knows he'll be cut if he isn't open to a restructure. Kolb is due a $9 million base salary, plus a $2 million roster bonus on March 19 and a $500,000 workout bonus. Just four days ago, new head coach Bruce Arians said he had yet to begin evaluating Kolb, but he suggested Kolb may have a chance to stick in Arizona.
If Kolb isn't open to a substantial restructuring at half the salary, cut him loose.He's a stop gap talent.

A QB who flashed brilliance but has really done nothing in the NFL Smh.. Avg something like 18 ppg as a full starter last year, also was good to start 2011. Still think he's a QB2 with upside with Fitz/Housler/Roberts if Ari gets a better o-line. Price is dirt cheap but there's some value to be had if he does stay.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Live Friday that Kevin Kolb's future with the Cardinals is "up in the air."ESPN's Chris Mortensen says the Cards are trying to rework Kolb's contract. If the sides can't reach an agreement, "both sides move on." Kolb is owed a $2 million roster bonus on March 15, and his future will be decided before then. Kolb is a poor fit for new coach Bruce Arians' vertical-passing philosophy.
If he won't accept stop gap QB $, adios Kev. Plenty of equally talented stop gaps available.Kolb would be better off with Reid and not having to learn a new offense at age 29.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Live Friday that Kevin Kolb's future with the Cardinals is "up in the air."ESPN's Chris Mortensen says the Cards are trying to rework Kolb's contract. If the sides can't reach an agreement, "both sides move on." Kolb is owed a $2 million roster bonus on March 15, and his future will be decided before then. Kolb is a poor fit for new coach Bruce Arians' vertical-passing philosophy.
If he won't accept stop gap QB $, adios Kev. Plenty of equally talented stop gaps available.Kolb would be better off with Reid and not having to learn a new offense at age 29.
It's not that he won't accept stop gap $, he just won't accept a 7-step drop offense with a 1 step protection O-line. You are right that the better fit is KK in KC.

It's not that he won't accept stop gap $, he just won't accept a 7-step drop offense with a 1 step protection O-line. You are right that the better fit is KK in KC.
What a weird strange trip that would be. Backup to starter, to injured and backup, to traded and starter, to injured, to cut, to starter for old coach.

There are 32 starting jobs in the NFL. Kolb is lucky based on what he's done through 6 seasons in the NFL that he's even under consideration still to start somewhere. The guy isn't blessed with great physical tools. He's a West coast QB that isn't a great fit for Arians's offense anyhow. Look around the league, look at the QB options....Kolb isn't a good fit for any of them as a starter. Chud's (Browns) and Arians's offenses are vertical....something Kolb isn't.If he's content being a clipboard hold (again) for the rest of his career, good for him. Bulger was content doing it. Carr was content doing it. The clock about to strike midnight for him. He's slid down to stop gap QB status and the next will be backup status again. Given his inability to stay healthy on any of his looks as starter through his career, it's probably his place in the league.He is however under no terms in a position to be picky where he starts. Alex Smith trade to KC complete. You can take them out of consideration for Kolb.Teams aren't going to commit $$ to a 29 year old Kolb that's done nothing through 6 seasons when they can throw less money to a no less talented and much younger Matt Barkley (or other incoming QB) in Round 2+.

Rotoworld

Free agent Drew Stanton will visit the Cardinals.He's "en route" to Phoenix. Stanton would be joining a quarterback stew in Arizona, and would have to win a camp battle to earn the starting job. For free agent QBs looking for a legit path to playing time, Arizona is by far the best bet.
Kolb's future is going to be decided shortly (by this Saturday). I have no reason to believe Kolb's future is in Arizona barring a huge paycut. They've already locked up Hoyer (with his 2nd round tender)I'd go with the better fit at QB in Stanton (with year under his belt in Arians's offense) as a stopgap (or backup to Hoyer/draft pick) than to try to fit a West Coast QB in Kolb in it. Expect Stanton to be signed by the Cards shortly. Best guess is Kolb is jettisoned & lands somewhere as a backup.

A source tells NFL.com that the Cardinals will release QB Kevin Kolb shortly.Kolb is due a $2 million roster bonus on Saturday and carries a cap number of $13.5 million. If the Cardinals don't want to pay that, they'll have to release him by 4 p.m. ET on Friday. After signing Drew Stanton Wednesday, there's plenty of reason to think the Cards are moving on. The Ken Whisenhunt regime that traded for Kolb is no longer in Arizona.

A source tells NFL.com that the Cardinals will release QB Kevin Kolb shortly.Kolb is due a $2 million roster bonus on Saturday and carries a cap number of $13.5 million. If the Cardinals don't want to pay that, they'll have to release him by 4 p.m. ET on Friday. After signing Drew Stanton Wednesday, there's plenty of reason to think the Cards are moving on. The Ken Whisenhunt regime that traded for Kolb is no longer in Arizona.
PFT is speculating that the Jets will pounce on him as soon as he is released. Gotta love it.

No one could survive behind that pathetic excuse of an OL. If he has time to set up and throw, like most QBs he can do well and look brilliant even in moments.

Don't discount Minnsota or Tampa Bay.

I'm anxious to hear all the bashing of the next Card QB who comes to town and is mauled behind that Oline. Kolb takes them to 4-0 with his style of play and gets no praise for it, even somehow surviving that long. When the other two QBs Skelton and Lindley (who the keyboard coaches scream to get in the game) come in and make nothing happen, now, well maybe, it's the O-line and their 1 second pass blocking.

Let Stanton play, let Palmer play, heck let Peyton come try- NOBODY is going to have much success with Arians 7 step, vertical pass offense when they are getting 3 free charging NFL D-Linemen beating him to the huddle spot.

And when he runs for his life to avoid the sack for a loss? Then come here to hear how "all of a sudden Peyton/ Brady/ Unitas is scared and won't stay in the pocket".

Amazing, is the Keyboard Coach......

Don't discount Minnsota or Tampa Bay.

I'm anxious to hear all the bashing of the next Card QB who comes to town and is mauled behind that Oline. Kolb takes them to 4-0 with his style of play and gets no praise for it, even somehow surviving that long. When the other two QBs Skelton and Lindley (who the keyboard coaches scream to get in the game) come in and make nothing happen, now, well maybe, it's the O-line and their 1 second pass blocking.

Let Stanton play, let Palmer play, heck let Peyton come try- NOBODY is going to have much success with Arians 7 step, vertical pass offense when they are getting 3 free charging NFL D-Linemen beating him to the huddle spot.

And when he runs for his life to avoid the sack for a loss? Then come here to hear how "all of a sudden Peyton/ Brady/ Unitas is scared and won't stay in the pocket".

Amazing, is the Keyboard Coach......
I actually think that Kolb showed alot of resilience last season when he played and I agree nobody can expect to excel behind the Cards line. I don't think he would want to come to Minnesota because the Vikings FO are against having any sort of QB contraversy. I believe Kolb would want to start and he has enough ability to be too much competition for Ponder.

WOW....Arizona got ripped off.
Only if Kolb ends up being Scott Mitchell.
I guess I don't see Kolb as being worth that trade or the money they gave him....do you? Do you feel he is going to be a good starting NFL QB? Seems like an overreaction to the fact they didn't have a QB. Actually I think a lot of teams reached in the last draft for this same reason versus just staying patient and getting the guy you actually want.
I should be a GM.

I'll go on record to say I love this deal for AZ. And congrats to the Cards, they can finally start to go forward with a plan.

This guy was good enough to hand over the eagle offense to last year but not good enough to throw to Fitz this year?

WOW.
How did that work out for the eagles? Why didn't Reid go back to him?
Absolutely ridiculous to even remotely suggest they didn't go back to Kolb because of anything Kolb did wrong. Were you paying even a LITTLE bit of attention last year?
Yup, I drafted him last year. Watched him get injured / #### the bed game 1. Continued to watch him be nothing but mediocre weeks 4-7. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/KolbKe00-3.php#gl-2010Did you watch anything? To me he had the deer in headlights look all season. If he was the future and Reids guy they wouldn't be trading him.
He was actually very good in weeks 5 and 6 last year against SF and ATL (4 TD's 1 int 579 yards passing). He struggled throwing the ball downfield against Washington but he was coming in off the bench after Vick got knocked out of the game. The Eagles actually almost won that game on the last play but Avant dropped a ball in the endzone that was in his hands. Actually if you take those 4 games and extrapolate his stats out over a full season, he would have 26 TD's, 16 Int's 4,044 yards passing. I think that is better than mediocre.
Bingo ^Avant dropped a pass in one game, and Celek in another that were in their hands, wide open. Both games become wins, and Kolb is carried out on their shoulders. fast forward to today and now AZ got a steal in the deal! Amazing when people look at mere stats instead of the games.
:lmao:

Don't discount Minnsota or Tampa Bay.I'm anxious to hear all the bashing of the next Card QB who comes to town and is mauled behind that Oline. Kolb takes them to 4-0 with his style of play and gets no praise for it, even somehow surviving that long. When the other two QBs Skelton and Lindley (who the keyboard coaches scream to get in the game) come in and make nothing happen, now, well maybe, it's the O-line and their 1 second pass blocking.
Kolb as much lead them to 4-0 as John Skelton lead them to a 6-2 record in 2011.... (same season Kolb had a 2-6 record, but of course you left that out).'With his style of play' -- :lmao: Classic.

While Kolb didn't work out, neither did DRC.

The Eagles turned the 2nd into Vinny Curry and Brandon Boykin. Both of those could still be NFL players, but nothing great.

'ImTheScientist said:
'thriftyrocker said:
While Kolb didn't work out, neither did DRC.The Eagles turned the 2nd into Vinny Curry and Brandon Boykin. Both of those could still be NFL players, but nothing great.
Does a QB hold a franchise back more than a DB? Ok, thanks.
Well, I think you could make the case that the Nnamdi signing was just as detrimental to PHI as the Kolb signing was to ARI. And ARI doesn't have to pay Kolb $4m "go away" money this year.ARI was ready to move away from Kolb last year, they just couldn't find anyone better. Kolb was due $7m roster bonus, and they really didn't want to pay it. But their draft pick wasn't good enough, and they didn't get Peyton, so they went back to him as the best bad option.Let's say Peyton picks ARI instead of DEN. They would have gladly showed Kolb the door after only 1 year. How exactly were they held back. They were held back because Elway/snow was better than Whizz/sun.

I can't believe the cards aren't spending this off season signing every OL they can get their hands on.

'ImTheScientist said:
'thriftyrocker said:
While Kolb didn't work out, neither did DRC.The Eagles turned the 2nd into Vinny Curry and Brandon Boykin. Both of those could still be NFL players, but nothing great.
Well, I think you could make the case that the Nnamdi signing was just as detrimental to PHI as the Kolb signing was to ARI. And ARI doesn't have to pay Kolb $4m "go away" money this year.ARI was ready to move away from Kolb last year, they just couldn't find anyone better. Kolb was due $7m roster bonus, and they really didn't want to pay it. But their draft pick wasn't good enough, and they didn't get Peyton, so they went back to him as the best bad option.Let's say Peyton picks ARI instead of DEN. They would have gladly showed Kolb the door after only 1 year. How exactly were they held back. They were held back because Elway/snow was better than Whizz/sun.
Nnamdi was traded for Kolb? Petyon went to Arizona?

I can't believe the cards aren't spending this off season signing every OL they can get their hands on.
Word is that they want to build the offensive line through the draft - mold them the way Arians wants.I'm not sure that is such a great idea, but that's their strategy.

'ImTheScientist said:
'thriftyrocker said:
Nnamdi was traded for Kolb? Petyon went to Arizona?
By referencing NNamdi, I am just providing evidence against your claim that a QB held a franchise back more than a DB. ARI was not really held back by the Kolb deal. They were ready and willing to move past him after year 1. That is not being held back. PHI was less able to move past the Nnamdi signing, both after year 1, and today given the $4m bailout.The Kolb trade was a "lose/lose" trade. The value PHI got back wasn't great either. ARI got a gunshy backup QB who went 6-8 but the Eagles got a heartless CB who only started for them 1 yr, and a mid-2nd that they turned into defensive depth players.Not really sure why you're being curt or snippy. I know you're just posting here to pat yourself on the back for your great foresight in seeing Kolb would be a bust, but that doesn't make the DRC/2nd side look any more like a windfall.

Users who are viewing this thread