What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Korea: Nevermind (1 Viewer)

Is Korean BBQ available in North Korea or just South Korea? That stuff is so good. I'd go to war for some good Korean BBQ. Otis you ever hit up Koreatown? It's a couple blocks down from the Empire State Building I believe.
I sure have. There's a great spot with some of the best fried chicken I've ever eaten.

Havent all those missiles and artillery been pointed at the South since the 60s? I wonder if it still even works.
There has been concern about that for decades.... not because of the age of the system, but because a lot of crates in surrounding junk piles back when the system was built had "Acme" printed on them, and one of the lead engineer's time cards had "Coyote, W" listed as the name.

is this the new shtick Otis was working on?
Seems like it but on the other hand it's hard to see where he goes from here...
No no, I have good stuff coming. This was just something I saw on CNN that made me a little :unsure:

But hey, you guys don't see any issue with clinically insane dictators in communist superpowers firing missiles on peaceful democratic neighbors? Hey, carry on.

No no, I have good stuff coming. This was just something I saw on CNN that made me a little :unsure:

But hey, you guys don't see any issue with clinically insane dictators in communist superpowers firing missiles on peaceful democratic neighbors? Hey, carry on.
It happens pretty much annually.

It happens pretty much annually.
Yep. Usually is done before the NFL regular season to maximize viewership.

Did you already clear this with Mr. Ham?

Seems North Korea has it's loudspeakers up and running now. Anyone have any idea what these 2 are saying to each other? No doubt the North Korean propaganda audio is Seinfeld level gold.

Seems North Korea has it's loudspeakers up and running now. Anyone have any idea what these 2 are saying to each other? No doubt the North Korean propaganda audio is Seinfeld level gold.
We got spirit yes we do we got spirit how about you?

I read an article online today that the N Korean speakers are so old that it is almost impossible to understand what they are saying

Funny, I actually thought this might be a little Ham-like.

— Oct. 10, 2014: North and South Korea trade machine-gun and rifle fire about two hours after South Korean activists release anti-Pyongyang propaganda balloons across the border. Another exchange of gunfire comes nine days later. There are no reports of damages or injuries in either incident.

— Aug. 10, 2011: South Korea fires several shells in what it says are two artillery exchanges with the North, which denies Seoul's claim that it fired first. No one is hurt.

— Nov. 23, 2010: North Korea bombards the front-line South Korean island of Yeonpyeong, killing four South Koreans, two of them civilians, in the first attack on a civilian area since the Korean War. The North said it was responding to South Korean artillery exercises held earlier.

— March 26, 2010: The South Korean warship Cheonan sinks near the western sea border; 46 sailors are killed and 58 rescued. Pyongyang continues to deny responsibility, though an international team of investigators concluded that a North Korean submarine fired a torpedo that tore the ship in two.

— Nov. 10, 2009: A North Korean ship is heavily damaged near the western sea border in a two-minute skirmish with a South Korean ship that was only lightly damaged. South Korean officials say a North Korean officer was killed and three other sailors wounded, while the South suffered no casualties.

— June 29, 2002: The North Korean navy sinks a South Korean patrol boat in a clash along the contested western sea border. Six South Korean sailors were killed, the North acknowledged an unspecified number of casualties and each side accused the other of triggering the 21-minute gunbattle.

— June 15, 1999: In the first naval skirmish between the two Koreas since the Korean War, a gunbattle breaks out when South Korean navy ships attempt to bump and push North Korean patrol boats back to their own waters. About 30 North Korean sailors were believed to have died when one of their torpedo boats was hit and sunk, while South Korean sailors suffered only minor wounds.
Holy crap!!!

— Oct. 10, 2014: North and South Korea trade machine-gun and rifle fire about two hours after South Korean activists release anti-Pyongyang propaganda balloons across the border. Another exchange of gunfire comes nine days later. There are no reports of damages or injuries in either incident.

— Aug. 10, 2011: South Korea fires several shells in what it says are two artillery exchanges with the North, which denies Seoul's claim that it fired first. No one is hurt.

— Nov. 23, 2010: North Korea bombards the front-line South Korean island of Yeonpyeong, killing four South Koreans, two of them civilians, in the first attack on a civilian area since the Korean War. The North said it was responding to South Korean artillery exercises held earlier.

— March 26, 2010: The South Korean warship Cheonan sinks near the western sea border; 46 sailors are killed and 58 rescued. Pyongyang continues to deny responsibility, though an international team of investigators concluded that a North Korean submarine fired a torpedo that tore the ship in two.

— Nov. 10, 2009: A North Korean ship is heavily damaged near the western sea border in a two-minute skirmish with a South Korean ship that was only lightly damaged. South Korean officials say a North Korean officer was killed and three other sailors wounded, while the South suffered no casualties.

— June 29, 2002: The North Korean navy sinks a South Korean patrol boat in a clash along the contested western sea border. Six South Korean sailors were killed, the North acknowledged an unspecified number of casualties and each side accused the other of triggering the 21-minute gunbattle.

— June 15, 1999: In the first naval skirmish between the two Koreas since the Korean War, a gunbattle breaks out when South Korean navy ships attempt to bump and push North Korean patrol boats back to their own waters. About 30 North Korean sailors were believed to have died when one of their torpedo boats was hit and sunk, while South Korean sailors suffered only minor wounds.
Holy crap!!!
7 incidents over 14 years?

Holy crap!!!
Which is why non of us are freaked out.

Now, there is always the chance things could get out of hand but this is not an unusual event for N & S Korea.

Holy crap!!!
Yeah, so:

This time involved firing missiles and artillery. Feels a whole lot different from the usual threats.
So how does today feel any different from the last half-dozen times? Firing some artillery makes this feel more tense than killing 50 soldiers and sinking some ships?
Hey, they hit a really big loudspeaker!

Holy crap!!!
Yeah, so:

This time involved firing missiles and artillery. Feels a whole lot different from the usual threats.
So how does today feel any different from the last half-dozen times? Firing some artillery makes this feel more tense than killing 50 soldiers and sinking some ships?
Nobody said they hit anything.

Any sane person can see that North Korea really can not restart (technically they are already at war) a war. What can they do? The demilitarized zone has more mines than anywhere else in the world while the South Korean military is proficient enough to hold the line long enough for the US to shift enough forces to level the North. Their entire Navy and Air Forces would be neutralized within days. Their equipment is old and all they have are numbers of troops which simply does not have the same weighting as it back in the 50's with human wave tactics (and which was not effective agains UN forces until Chinese reinforcements greatly increased their numbers. If you restart the war then any decent President would take it as an opportunity to once and for all finish the problem by rolling the North and allowing eventual reunification of Korea under a democratic South lead government- which means as a despot leader, no more palaces and private runways and all the other trappings of leadership while your people starve.

But, I don't think anyone has every accused the North of being sane.
The North could kill millions before anyone could lift a finger. Their artillery installations would decimate SK cities in minutes. Now they would pay as we would level the place but they are certainly capable of doing a lot of damage first.

I heard a rumor that Kim Jong Un isn't actually Korean, he's a white guy acting Korean. Any truth to that rumor?

Holy crap!!!
Yeah, so:

Nobody said they hit anything.
They did actually hit a really big loudspeaker that was blaring out S Korean propaganda

Any sane person can see that North Korea really can not restart (technically they are already at war) a war. What can they do? The demilitarized zone has more mines than anywhere else in the world while the South Korean military is proficient enough to hold the line long enough for the US to shift enough forces to level the North. Their entire Navy and Air Forces would be neutralized within days. Their equipment is old and all they have are numbers of troops which simply does not have the same weighting as it back in the 50's with human wave tactics (and which was not effective agains UN forces until Chinese reinforcements greatly increased their numbers. If you restart the war then any decent President would take it as an opportunity to once and for all finish the problem by rolling the North and allowing eventual reunification of Korea under a democratic South lead government- which means as a despot leader, no more palaces and private runways and all the other trappings of leadership while your people starve.

The North could kill millions before anyone could lift a finger. Their artillery installations would decimate SK cities in minutes. Now they would pay as we would level the place but they are certainly capable of doing a lot of damage first.
Yea, I guess you are right in that there is not much warning for incoming artillery rounds but the S. Koreans do regular full city drills to prepare which really ought to limit the civilian casualties significantly compared to the population and how much would be shot at them.

Yea, I guess you are right in that there is not much warning for incoming artillery rounds but the S. Koreans do regular full city drills to prepare which really ought to limit the civilian casualties significantly compared to the population and how much would be shot at them.
Last estimate I saw was 2 million dead or injured in the first hour. Over 500k shells landing on Seoul. And that's if they use conventional artillery not biological or nuclear. Who knows if those estimates hold? But its a serious threat.

Last estimate I saw was 2 million dead or injured in the first hour. Over 500k shells landing on Seoul. And that's if they use conventional artillery not biological or nuclear. Who knows if those estimates hold? But its a serious threat.
Those numbers do seem high but then again, I am no where near an expert on the material.

I would think MRL's would be the biggest threat initially and S. Korean batteries and Air Force could knock out a good chunk of N. Korean artillery as hostilties commenced. The WMD's is a whole different discussion obviously and if the North was crazy enough to go full out war then they would be crazy enough to go WMD you would think.

Is Hams wife still in the hurricane?

NCCommish said:
Chadstroma said:
NCCommish said:
Chadstroma said:

Don't think that belief is true anymore given how antiquated there systems are. It would be horrible but not in the range of millions of dead.

Quick google search found this - http://asw.newpacificinstitute.org/?p=11355

NCCommish said:
Chadstroma said:
NCCommish said:
Chadstroma said:

Is this the same people that estimated the death toll right after the explosion in China? I can see it now, North Korea fires their entire stockpile of weapons on Seoul. Three people dead, 8 injured. (T/P's for the 3 BTW)

Don't think that belief is true anymore given how antiquated there systems are. It would be horrible but not in the range of millions of dead.

Quick google search found this - http://asw.newpacificinstitute.org/?p=11355
This is more in line to my thinking. Though the failure rate on their shells going boom is ridiculously high. 1 in 4 a dud! :lol: Meanwhile, you have S. Korean and US forces finding and knocking you out.

Plus, something else that was not brought up in the article was that the intelligent military move is to aim at the opposing military forces and not the civilian population. Now intelligent and N. Korea is not exactly a given but still.

lod01 said:
North Korea is telling South Korea that it has doubts about it's commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil industry running out of lame excuses to keep gas high. At least this is more entertaining than the usual BS about some random refinery on the other side of the country having all their fruit stolen by landscapers, thereby offsetting any cost savings from refining $30/barrel oil.

Users who are viewing this thread