What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lee Evans Signs Contract Extension (1 Viewer)

OC Zed

Footballguy
Link

Evans signs long awaited extension

by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Last Updated: 10/2/2008 5:22 PM ET

Every time Lee Evans was asked about the progress of negotiations on a contract extension over the past few months Buffalo’s top wideout always stated things were moving in the right direction. Those negotiations finally reached a resolution on Thursday when the Bills locked up their top receiver to a multi-year agreement.

The Evans camp and the Bills had been working on the extension for almost the entire offseason, which admittedly was anything but easy. With some NFL clubs overpaying for free agent receivers this past spring (e.g. Bernard Berrian) and elite wideouts signing new deals like New England’s Randy Moss and Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald there was a wide range of contracts that re-shaped the receiver market.

Regardless of the state of the receiver market the Bills knew all along they had to keep their top receiver in the fold and Evans wanted to stay in Buffalo long term.

No doubt helping Evans in his decision to commit to the team that drafted him 13th overall in 2004 was a newly developed sense of on field comfort with Trent Edwards and faith in new offensive coordinator Turk Schonert.

“I think it’s different this year. I think some of the things we’re doing offensively, is exciting, knowing that you’ll be doing a lot of different things,” said Evans. “That’s the fun - when you can kind of mix it up and be a part of doing different things during the game. I think that’s one of the things that makes it exciting.”

Evans is also off to the best start in his five-year career through the first four games with 14 catches for 332 yards and a touchdown. He’s currently tied for first in the league with six receptions of 25 yards or more, and is second in the NFL is average yards per catch with 23.7.

He already ranks in the top five on the club’s all-time list for career 100-yard receiving games (10) and receiving touchdowns (30).

Just last week Buffalo’s top wideout also tied the team record for being the fastest receiver to reach 4,000 career receiving yards with Frank Lewis eclipsing the yardage mark in just 68 games.

Evans has accomplished all this despite the fact that Buffalo’s offense has endured constant change. In his time with Buffalo the club has had four different quarterbacks and three different offensive coordinators.

But now with a rapidly ascending quarterback in Trent Edwards and offensive stability with coordinator Turk Schonert, all the pieces could be falling into place as Evans enters the prime of his career.

The Bills have been criticized over the past few years for letting some of their top talent escape to free agency and sign lucrative contracts, but the Bills have now re-signed more than 10 impact players in the #### Jauron era. Evans joins Brad Butler, Ryan Denney, Chris Kelsay, Rian Lindell, Terrence McGee, Brian Moorman, Roscoe Parrish, Jason Peters, Josh Reed, Aaron Schobel and Kyle Williams.

Peters is now expected to be priority number one in terms of a contract extension just two years after signing a five-year pact.

Still waiting to get the details (i.e., length and $$$) as the team does not publicly disclose this info.

:goodposting: #### Jauron :lmao:

Congrats, Lee. You've been a stalwart in a sea of change in Buffalo over the years. Here's to what looks like the organization moving in the right direction!

PS: That YPCatch stat would mean a whole lot more to me (and the 7 Teams I have you on), if you lowered it in lieu of more catches and TD's...

Still love having him on my roster, though...not one player I enjoy keeping track of more on Sundays - seeing if it's 'just gonna be the day' that his stat line reads: 8-117-2 for a change. The picture-perfect PosterBoy for WR3/Flex...

Should have given him a contrct where he gets 100000 for every catch but gives back 50K for every drop. Buf. Could build new stadium in a few years with his money.

:confused: #### Jauron :shrug: Congrats, Lee. You've been a stalwart in a sea of change in Buffalo over the years. Here's to what looks like the organization moving in the right direction!PS: That YPCatch stat would mean a whole lot more to me (and the 7 Teams I have you on), if you lowered it in lieu of more catches and TD's...Still love having him on my roster, though...not one player I enjoy keeping track of more on Sundays - seeing if it's 'just gonna be the day' that his stat line reads: 8-117-2 for a change. The picture-perfect PosterBoy for WR3/Flex...
you should write a novel imo.

:yes:

Jason Peters should take a page out of Lee's book. Classy guy that works hard and is a team guy. I don't really care to see him get Fitzgerald type money (overpaid) but I'm happy that he's getting paid and remaining a Bill. His production has been inconsistent, but so has his QB play. He has always been a guy that defenses have to plan for though.

:yes: #### Jauron :lmao: Congrats, Lee. You've been a stalwart in a sea of change in Buffalo over the years. Here's to what looks like the organization moving in the right direction!PS: That YPCatch stat would mean a whole lot more to me (and the 7 Teams I have you on), if you lowered it in lieu of more catches and TD's...Still love having him on my roster, though...not one player I enjoy keeping track of more on Sundays - seeing if it's 'just gonna be the day' that his stat line reads: 8-117-2 for a change. The picture-perfect PosterBoy for WR3/Flex...
I suspect we might see one of those days this Sunday. Plaxico looked like Superman in Week 1 after he signed his new contract.

4 year $37.25M extension. $18.25M of it guaranteed. $27M over the first 3 years of the deal (including this year). Signed through 2012.

Pretty good chunk of money for Lee, but not THAT outrageous. The price on top WRs is just going to keep going up. And it looks to be in that second tier of top receivers compared to what Moss, Fitzgerald, etc. are making. Heck, Javon Walker has a 6 year $55M deal.

ETA: From Adam Schefter

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have given him a contrct where he gets 100000 for every catch but gives back 50K for every drop. Buf. Could build new stadium in a few years with his money.
huh?I don't think of him as a guy that drops many passes at all. From his FBG player page, it looks to me like he has 247 receptions on 435 targets for a reception ratio of 57%. Is that low compared to most of the league's best receivers?

4 year $37.25M extension. $18.25M of it guaranteed. $27M over the first 3 years of the deal (including this year). Signed through 2012.

Pretty good chunk of money for Lee, but not THAT outrageous. The price on top WRs is just going to keep going up. And it looks to be in that second tier of top receivers compared to what Moss, Fitzgerald, etc. are making. Heck, Javon Walker has a 6 year $55M deal.

cheaper than Devin Hester. awesome deal, IMO.

This sounds like a good deal for the Bills. I would have liked to have seen a fifth year tacked on to that, but Lee will certainly be on the downside of his career by 2013, so we can probably resign him then for a reasonable (cheaper) price.Anyone have a good link to compare this deal with other WR deals from this off-season?

Happy as an Evans fan; disappointed as an Evans owner.
Agreed - I would have liked to have seen him go to a more pass-friendly offense, but on the other hand, I doubt he's going to be paid that much money to be a decoy. He does seem to be developing more and more chemistry with Edwards, who continues to improve.

Nice to see smaller market team be able to keep their star players. Good for them and good for Lee Evans too. :goodposting:

Important signing for the Bills. As they continue to improve and their young players get closer to their second contract they need to prove they can keep them. This is a step in that direction.

Moneywise I think it's a decent deal for both sides. Evans definetly should be happy getting that type of coin when you consider his actual production (and I do understand the situation he's been in). On the flipside Buffalo knows what they have in Evans and WR is a position you can really waste money on in free agency.

YES. We finally kept a player we drafted instead of letting them go to FA. Thank god!
The only one that looking back on was a total mistake in letting go was Pat Williams. An argument could be made for Antoine Winfield too since his contract looks a lot smaller now compared to when he signed it. But it's not like the Vikings have had a great pass defense since he's been there. Other than that, I can't really say that the Bills have messed up in letting guys go. Clements is ridiculously overpaid, the Bills got killed when they trade Peerless Price for a 2nd rounder and that worked out just fine, and letting Moulds walk when he did worked just fine as well. Jonas Jennings was another guy that the Bills got killed for letting go and he's managed to be injured and whiney just like when he was in Buffalo.

GroveDiesel said:
BILLIEVE said:
YES. We finally kept a player we drafted instead of letting them go to FA. Thank god!
The only one that looking back on was a total mistake in letting go was Pat Williams. An argument could be made for Antoine Winfield too since his contract looks a lot smaller now compared to when he signed it. But it's not like the Vikings have had a great pass defense since he's been there. Other than that, I can't really say that the Bills have messed up in letting guys go. Clements is ridiculously overpaid, the Bills got killed when they trade Peerless Price for a 2nd rounder and that worked out just fine, and letting Moulds walk when he did worked just fine as well. Jonas Jennings was another guy that the Bills got killed for letting go and he's managed to be injured and whiney just like when he was in Buffalo.
Letting Pat Williams walk was definitely a huge error on their part. I would have liked to see them lock up Nate Clements earlier before he could command that type of salary, but they have rebounded fine from that move. I would have liked to see them keep London Fletcher around too, but Poz is a potential upgrade at MLB and much younger/cheaper. Letting Jonas Jennings walk was an easy decision given his injury history. Peerless Price was franchised then traded for a 1st round pick that got them McGahee. The McGahee move probably got them some heat, but Lynch/Jackson are an upgrade so that worked out great too.

The deal, which includes $18.25 million in guaranteed money, makes Evans the highest- paid player in Bills’ history in terms of average salary per year ($9.3 million).

Based solely on the average, the contract makes Evans the fourth-highest paid receiver in the league behind Carolina’s Steve Smith ($10.9 million), Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald ($10 million) and Indianapolis’ Marvin Harrison ($9.5 million). Dallas’ Terrell Owens and New England’s Randy Moss average $9 million, though like Smith, their deals are over three years.

Left guard Derrick Dockery and defensive end Aaron Schobel got bigger contracts in terms of years and money from the Bills last year, but both average in the $7 million range.

His 233 catches, 3,727 yards and 29 touchdowns are the most in team history after the first four seasons.

But this season, he had his best September ever, registering 14 catches for 332 yards (second in the AFC) and one touchdown. His 23.7- yard average is second best in the NFL among starting wide receivers, and his six catches of 30-plus yards is No. 2 overall in the league.

Had Evans waited until the end of this season, he would have been one of the most desired free agents on the market. But he has maintained throughout the negotiations that his desire was to remain in Buffalo.

“This is the team that drafted me and gave me an opportunity to play in the NFL,” he said. “I never even considered playing somewhere else. Everyone in the organization has been great. We have great chemistry in the locker room. I like living in Buffalo and the fans are awesome. I hope to spend my entire career here.”
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/453809.html

The deal, which includes $18.25 million in guaranteed money, makes Evans the highest- paid player in Bills’ history in terms of average salary per year ($9.3 million).

Based solely on the average, the contract makes Evans the fourth-highest paid receiver in the league behind Carolina’s Steve Smith ($10.9 million), Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald ($10 million) and Indianapolis’ Marvin Harrison ($9.5 million). Dallas’ Terrell Owens and New England’s Randy Moss average $9 million, though like Smith, their deals are over three years.

Left guard Derrick Dockery and defensive end Aaron Schobel got bigger contracts in terms of years and money from the Bills last year, but both average in the $7 million range.

His 233 catches, 3,727 yards and 29 touchdowns are the most in team history after the first four seasons.

But this season, he had his best September ever, registering 14 catches for 332 yards (second in the AFC) and one touchdown. His 23.7- yard average is second best in the NFL among starting wide receivers, and his six catches of 30-plus yards is No. 2 overall in the league.

Had Evans waited until the end of this season, he would have been one of the most desired free agents on the market. But he has maintained throughout the negotiations that his desire was to remain in Buffalo.

“This is the team that drafted me and gave me an opportunity to play in the NFL,” he said. “I never even considered playing somewhere else. Everyone in the organization has been great. We have great chemistry in the locker room. I like living in Buffalo and the fans are awesome. I hope to spend my entire career here.”
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/453809.html
Just came in to post this. I thought I heard on ESPN radio it made him 3rd highest, but apparently 4th. :goodposting: Maybe this contract looks good by the end of it, but, despite some of the awful contracts ( J. Walker :goodposting: ), this sure looks like overpaying. I like Evans, and while I don't follow the Bills, I'll take the fanbase's word that he's a class guy and good worker. But he appears to me to be in a lower tier than the top guys, and paying top money for less production isn't a good way to build a franchise.

Evans looks like a top flight WR2, the deep threat that can stretch a D, but doesn't do much in short to intermediate routes, and doesn't do much in the middle of the field. I think he's miscast as a WR1, and can be shut down. He'd thrive with a more complete receiver opposite him to draw coverage.

Good contract for Evans, though, and good for the fans that get to keep rooting for one of the organization's good guys. I hope it works out well.

Just came in to post this. I thought I heard on ESPN radio it made him 3rd highest, but apparently 4th. :popcorn:Maybe this contract looks good by the end of it, but, despite some of the awful contracts ( J. Walker :thumbup: ), this sure looks like overpaying. I like Evans, and while I don't follow the Bills, I'll take the fanbase's word that he's a class guy and good worker. But he appears to me to be in a lower tier than the top guys, and paying top money for less production isn't a good way to build a franchise. Evans looks like a top flight WR2, the deep threat that can stretch a D, but doesn't do much in short to intermediate routes, and doesn't do much in the middle of the field. I think he's miscast as a WR1, and can be shut down. He'd thrive with a more complete receiver opposite him to draw coverage. Good contract for Evans, though, and good for the fans that get to keep rooting for one of the organization's good guys. I hope it works out well.
The Bills were in the bottom 3 for pass attempts the past two years, and the bottom 3rd for years now.Even still, Evans lead the Bills in receptions in 07 and 06 since Eric Moulds left (including catching 82 two years ago).You don't do that by being a receiver that just goes deep.

Good for the Bills...I was hoping Chicago would make a play for him in the off-season...oh well

Trent Edwards to Lee Evans, get used to it!

Just came in to post this. I thought I heard on ESPN radio it made him 3rd highest, but apparently 4th. :goodposting:Maybe this contract looks good by the end of it, but, despite some of the awful contracts ( J. Walker :X ), this sure looks like overpaying. I like Evans, and while I don't follow the Bills, I'll take the fanbase's word that he's a class guy and good worker. But he appears to me to be in a lower tier than the top guys, and paying top money for less production isn't a good way to build a franchise. Evans looks like a top flight WR2, the deep threat that can stretch a D, but doesn't do much in short to intermediate routes, and doesn't do much in the middle of the field. I think he's miscast as a WR1, and can be shut down. He'd thrive with a more complete receiver opposite him to draw coverage. Good contract for Evans, though, and good for the fans that get to keep rooting for one of the organization's good guys. I hope it works out well.
The Bills were in the bottom 3 for pass attempts the past two years, and the bottom 3rd for years now.Even still, Evans lead the Bills in receptions in 07 and 06 since Eric Moulds left (including catching 82 two years ago).You don't do that by being a receiver that just goes deep.
:goodposting: It should be added that the Bills have not had a true #2 WR since Evans assumed the #1 role. Josh Reed is a very competent wide receiver, but is best when working in the slot. James Hardy was drafted to be the #2 guy, but has not been able to produce thus far in his rookie season. Only time will tell with him...But in all seriousness, Evans still must get over 50% of his catches and yards on go routes. It's pretty comical actually, particularly since EVERYONE knows what's coming.

Just came in to post this. I thought I heard on ESPN radio it made him 3rd highest, but apparently 4th. :eek:

Maybe this contract looks good by the end of it, but, despite some of the awful contracts ( J. Walker :X ), this sure looks like overpaying. I like Evans, and while I don't follow the Bills, I'll take the fanbase's word that he's a class guy and good worker. But he appears to me to be in a lower tier than the top guys, and paying top money for less production isn't a good way to build a franchise.

Evans looks like a top flight WR2, the deep threat that can stretch a D, but doesn't do much in short to intermediate routes, and doesn't do much in the middle of the field. I think he's miscast as a WR1, and can be shut down. He'd thrive with a more complete receiver opposite him to draw coverage.

Good contract for Evans, though, and good for the fans that get to keep rooting for one of the organization's good guys. I hope it works out well.
The Bills were in the bottom 3 for pass attempts the past two years, and the bottom 3rd for years now.Even still, Evans lead the Bills in receptions in 07 and 06 since Eric Moulds left (including catching 82 two years ago).

You don't do that by being a receiver that just goes deep.
:lmao: It should be added that the Bills have not had a true #2 WR since Evans assumed the #1 role. Josh Reed is a very competent wide receiver, but is best when working in the slot. James Hardy was drafted to be the #2 guy, but has not been able to produce thus far in his rookie season. Only time will tell with him...

But in all seriousness, Evans still must get over 50% of his catches and yards on go routes. It's pretty comical actually, particularly since EVERYONE knows what's coming.
I'd venture closer to 75% of his FF production. Though the Bills have added a few complimentary slant/go combination patterns this year, which is nice to see.

Just came in to post this. I thought I heard on ESPN radio it made him 3rd highest, but apparently 4th. :lmao:

Maybe this contract looks good by the end of it, but, despite some of the awful contracts ( J. Walker :) ), this sure looks like overpaying. I like Evans, and while I don't follow the Bills, I'll take the fanbase's word that he's a class guy and good worker. But he appears to me to be in a lower tier than the top guys, and paying top money for less production isn't a good way to build a franchise.

The Bills were in the bottom 3 for pass attempts the past two years, and the bottom 3rd for years now.Even still, Evans lead the Bills in receptions in 07 and 06 since Eric Moulds left (including catching 82 two years ago).

:popcorn: It should be added that the Bills have not had a true #2 WR since Evans assumed the #1 role. Josh Reed is a very competent wide receiver, but is best when working in the slot. James Hardy was drafted to be the #2 guy, but has not been able to produce thus far in his rookie season. Only time will tell with him...

But in all seriousness, Evans still must get over 50% of his catches and yards on go routes. It's pretty comical actually, particularly since EVERYONE knows what's coming.
I'd venture closer to 75% of his FF production. Though the Bills have added a few complimentary slant/go combination patterns this year, which is nice to see.
Love the Hartford Whalers avtar, they had their run back in the day though Gordie Howe was way over the hill when they brought him in to play with his son.Why is it that Buffalo does not design any plays for Evans over the middle? Have they tried this in the past with him exhibiting alligator arms? Marvin Harrison isn't exactly a hard nosed football player but he knows how to get open all over the field and when to drop to the turf before getting hammered.

Just came in to post this. I thought I heard on ESPN radio it made him 3rd highest, but apparently 4th. :eek:

Maybe this contract looks good by the end of it, but, despite some of the awful contracts ( J. Walker :X ), this sure looks like overpaying. I like Evans, and while I don't follow the Bills, I'll take the fanbase's word that he's a class guy and good worker. But he appears to me to be in a lower tier than the top guys, and paying top money for less production isn't a good way to build a franchise.

:thumbup: It should be added that the Bills have not had a true #2 WR since Evans assumed the #1 role. Josh Reed is a very competent wide receiver, but is best when working in the slot. James Hardy was drafted to be the #2 guy, but has not been able to produce thus far in his rookie season. Only time will tell with him...

Love the Hartford Whalers avtar, they had their run back in the day though Gordie Howe was way over the hill when they brought him in to play with his son.Why is it that Buffalo does not design any plays for Evans over the middle? Have they tried this in the past with him exhibiting alligator arms? Marvin Harrison isn't exactly a hard nosed football player but he knows how to get open all over the field and when to drop to the turf before getting hammered.
Long live the Whale. There's a documentary coming out about we long-suffering Whalers fans: http://www.bleedinggreenmovie.com/Trailer.html.Could not agree more with the Harrison comparison, as Evans's skill set is akin to a young Marvin Harrison. That is his full potential, if he were to ever to fall into the correct coaching and scheme.

Why is it that Buffalo does not design any plays for Evans over the middle? Have they tried this in the past with him exhibiting alligator arms? Marvin Harrison isn't exactly a hard nosed football player but he knows how to get open all over the field and when to drop to the turf before getting hammered.
Actually, Schonert is starting to do that. There have been a few times this year that Evans has made catches between the numbers.

Evans played like a true #1 WR in 2006 and clearly has the potential to be one of the league's elite if he can get consistent QB play and a coaching staff that knows how to use him. The offense became stagnant last year and was far too conservative during most weeks. They've been more aggressive this year and Edwards is emerging as a quality QB. Evans has excellent deep speed as everyone knows, but he also runs crisp routes, has soft hands, and is very good running after the catch. He's a complete receiver in the same mold as guys like Steve Smith and Santana Moss. As long as the line can give the QB time and the QB can deliver the ball accurately (two things the Bills have struggled with in recent years), Evans is going to have no trouble living up to that contract. I'm certain he would have commanded a lot more on the open market next year, although the Bills would have used the franchise tag to keep him around. This works out much better for both sides.

Edwards/Lynch/Evans is a phenomenal young core to build the offense around, combined with Peters at LT and a young, promising defense. Hopefully, Schonert can prove to be a great hire for the OC job as well.

When management/ownership makes a commitment like this to a key player, it will also make it easier for them to attract other players and convince other guys to stick around. Bills are starting to build something special so hopefully they can continue.

I still don't understand what happened with Crowell though. That move really bugs me, but fortunately it hasn't hurt them yet.

Just came in to post this. I thought I heard on ESPN radio it made him 3rd highest, but apparently 4th. :lmao:

Maybe this contract looks good by the end of it, but, despite some of the awful contracts ( J. Walker :hey: ), this sure looks like overpaying. I like Evans, and while I don't follow the Bills, I'll take the fanbase's word that he's a class guy and good worker. But he appears to me to be in a lower tier than the top guys, and paying top money for less production isn't a good way to build a franchise.

:goodposting: It should be added that the Bills have not had a true #2 WR since Evans assumed the #1 role. Josh Reed is a very competent wide receiver, but is best when working in the slot. James Hardy was drafted to be the #2 guy, but has not been able to produce thus far in his rookie season. Only time will tell with him...

Long live the Whale. There's a documentary coming out about we long-suffering Whalers fans: http://www.bleedinggreenmovie.com/Trailer.html.Could not agree more with the Harrison comparison, as Evans's skill set is akin to a young Marvin Harrison. That is his full potential, if he were to ever to fall into the correct coaching and scheme.
Hartford sits in a bad spot to pick up a professional team again. I followed the Springfield Indians (AHL) pretty closely in the 60's and 70's before I moved down to the Boston area ( I am now in CO). Hockey was huge then with the influence of the B's in general and Orr in particular. I saw some great AHL games with Goring and Billy Smith before they were called up to the Islanders. Wow that was a looooooooooong time ago.

Just came in to post this. I thought I heard on ESPN radio it made him 3rd highest, but apparently 4th. :hey:

:excited: It should be added that the Bills have not had a true #2 WR since Evans assumed the #1 role. Josh Reed is a very competent wide receiver, but is best when working in the slot. James Hardy was drafted to be the #2 guy, but has not been able to produce thus far in his rookie season. Only time will tell with him...

Admittedly limited on my knowledge of Evans skillset, as I only see him once or twice a year, and then facing NE, which hasn't been a good matchup for the Bills for the past few years. Most of my opinion of his play comes from the box scores, which can be a very limiting vantage point.With improved QB play, you all seem to agree that he has true elite #1 WR potential. From what you've seen out of him so far, do you think he has the combination of hands, quicks, and precision route running to get in the neighborhood of Marvin? I know he has the top end speed. Also, does Edwards look like a long term solution, in terms of accuracy and reading defenses, to stick long term and grow the repore with Evans, similar to the Manning/Harrison tandem?

TIA.

Admittedly limited on my knowledge of Evans skillset, as I only see him once or twice a year, and then facing NE, which hasn't been a good matchup for the Bills for the past few years. Most of my opinion of his play comes from the box scores, which can be a very limiting vantage point.With improved QB play, you all seem to agree that he has true elite #1 WR potential. From what you've seen out of him so far, do you think he has the combination of hands, quicks, and precision route running to get in the neighborhood of Marvin? I know he has the top end speed. Also, does Edwards look like a long term solution, in terms of accuracy and reading defenses, to stick long term and grow the repore with Evans, similar to the Manning/Harrison tandem?TIA.
The comparisons to Marvin Harrison are strained due to the fact that Harrison's career has been so greatly predicated by playing with Manning and comparing Manning to other quarterbacks just isn't fair. With that being said, Edwards does look like the long-term solution at quarterback. Without sounding too much like a homer, Edwards' poise, ability to read defenses and accuracy are something you only see in veteran quarterbacks. Although you do not necessarily notice it in the stat sheet (yet), the guy simply looks light years ahead of what his experience says he should be. So, ya, given that Edwards should be there with Evans for the long-term, it only bodes well for both players' production numbers.

Admittedly limited on my knowledge of Evans skillset, as I only see him once or twice a year, and then facing NE, which hasn't been a good matchup for the Bills for the past few years. Most of my opinion of his play comes from the box scores, which can be a very limiting vantage point.With improved QB play, you all seem to agree that he has true elite #1 WR potential. From what you've seen out of him so far, do you think he has the combination of hands, quicks, and precision route running to get in the neighborhood of Marvin? I know he has the top end speed. Also, does Edwards look like a long term solution, in terms of accuracy and reading defenses, to stick long term and grow the repore with Evans, similar to the Manning/Harrison tandem?TIA.
Evans has first rate hands for a small receiver -- a step below guys like CJ, Wayne and Colston. He's not as quick as say, Steve Smith or Santana Moss -- closer to Greg Jennings or Santonio Holmes. He's a very smart receiver, has elite separation skills, and never quits on a pattern. He doesn't run routes as well as Harrison (who does? arguably, only Jerry Rice) but he is a little tougher after contact.However, Edwards will never be Peyton Manning. And, unless Marv Levy and Ted Marchibroda return to the sidelines, the Bills will never run a prolific dome style offense like Indy.

Evans is a more talented WR than Marvin Harrison. Not as precise in his routes, but he can do pretty much everything Marvin can do while he's also more physical and a much better downfield blocker. I think he also has better RAC skills than Harrison. Marvin usually falls down at first sign of contact. Evans can break tackles and make people miss in the open field. Unfortunately, his talent hasn't always translated to production but I don't think there's any doubt this is a good deal for him and for the Bills. They have to spend money somewhere and he's a great guy to start with. The new money coming in from Toronto should certainly help them to hand out some bigger signing bonuses than they have in the past.

Ditto. I came in here to find out if he might slack off after this signing, and got just the info I needed. Gracias.

Ditto. I came in here to find out if he might slack off after this signing, and got just the info I needed. Gracias.
Here's hoping he goes off on Sunday like Plaxico did right after signing his new deal at the beginning of the season.

Evans played like a true #1 WR in 2006 and clearly has the potential to be one of the league's elite if he can get consistent QB play and a coaching staff that knows how to use him. The offense became stagnant last year and was far too conservative during most weeks. They've been more aggressive this year and Edwards is emerging as a quality QB. Evans has excellent deep speed as everyone knows, but he also runs crisp routes, has soft hands, and is very good running after the catch. He's a complete receiver in the same mold as guys like Steve Smith and Santana Moss. As long as the line can give the QB time and the QB can deliver the ball accurately (two things the Bills have struggled with in recent years), Evans is going to have no trouble living up to that contract. I'm certain he would have commanded a lot more on the open market next year, although the Bills would have used the franchise tag to keep him around. This works out much better for both sides.Edwards/Lynch/Evans is a phenomenal young core to build the offense around, combined with Peters at LT and a young, promising defense. Hopefully, Schonert can prove to be a great hire for the OC job as well.When management/ownership makes a commitment like this to a key player, it will also make it easier for them to attract other players and convince other guys to stick around. Bills are starting to build something special so hopefully they can continue.I still don't understand what happened with Crowell though. That move really bugs me, but fortunately it hasn't hurt them yet.
Have you been happy with Ellison?

added- not being a homer, but Lee has a history of starting slow, but his numbers on above his usual 4 week numbers, I;m trying like crazy to trade for him in a coule of leagues, offering up Cotchery and Colston in a couple. We'll see.

Aaron, great summary about the core, gave me chills.

huh?I don't think of him as a guy that drops many passes at all. From his FBG player page, it looks to me like he has 247 receptions on 435 targets for a reception ratio of 57%. Is that low compared to most of the league's best receivers?
Low compared to the mid-range guys, the chain-movers, the YAC guys. A little low compared to the truly elite deep threats. Generally, 60% is an elite season for a long-baller like Evans. Given his exceptionally high ypr, 57% is still very good.A better way to compare receivers with different styles, imo, is yards per target. It evens the playing field between the low-percentage, high-value reception guys and the high-percentage, low-value reception guys. Any time a receiver posts a ypt of 10, that's an elite season. It's still early, but Evans ypt is currently 13.5. If that held up for an entire season, it would easily be the best mark I've seen in several years worth of tracking the stat.
Evans ran very hot-and-cold last season, but it's unclear how much of that is on Evans and how much is on the rest of the offense (which was pretty brutal). Judging him based on his 2006 season, though... Evans can't be shut down. Period. In my opinion, he was the best receiver in the entire NFL in 2006, easily. Just unstoppable despite playing in an offense helmed by J.P. Losman with no running game or complementary threats to keep defenses from keying on him. I think Evans is one of the top 10 WRs in the league.
Evans, in my opinion, is halfway between a Marvin Harrison and a Steve Smith. Better straight-line speed than either, imo. His open-field moves aren't quite as nifty as Smith's, and his routes aren't quite as crisp as Harrison's, but they're at least in the conversation. He's not as good between the numbers as either receiver, but he's not bad, either... and he's better than either down the field. Awesome burst lets him get quick separation virtually at will. Hands could be better, but that means they're simply great rather than truly elite.

Users who are viewing this thread