What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeGarrette Blount signs with NE (1 Viewer)

hard to know for now - today's game will be telling. Don't think that White is on the field as much as Lewis was, but we will see.

I grabbed him dirt cheap in dynasty for the equivalent of the 3.11.

We all know how many runningbacks go down during the regular season, a 250 lb guy like him who averaged 4.3 last season should get a shot.

Hell, even Tim Hightower got a shot last year.

Blount is on my dynasty team's bubble right now and will probably remain so until August when I have to make a choice.

Eminence said:

We all know how many runningbacks go down during the regular season, a 250 lb guy like him who averaged 4.3 last season should get a shot.

Could pan out for you or he could be a total waste.  Really pretty "flip of the coin".  When it comes to RBs you never know if you get "tim Hightower/Ahmad Bradshaw" type help out of nowhere or if you get "Beanie Wells, SJAX thanks but no thanks" type.  It is really hard to tell when these teams decide a RB is worth another run these days.

In general terms, I think pass-receiving backs have a better chance at a call back these days than guys that made their money running over people.  

Could pan out for you or he could be a total waste.  Really pretty "flip of the coin".  When it comes to RBs you never know if you get "tim Hightower/Ahmad Bradshaw" type help out of nowhere or if you get "Beanie Wells, SJAX thanks but no thanks" type.  It is really hard to tell when these teams decide a RB is worth another run these days.

In general terms, I think pass-receiving backs have a better chance at a call back these days than guys that made their money running over people.  
Exactly. I won't lie, if he gets signed to a team I will probably try to trade him again right away.

I think at some point, a team is going to look at their RB depth during otas / preseason and look to add him.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, he is the Patriots Plan C. Plan A is probably see who is available in the draft that falls to them. Plan B is waiting around to see which backs get cut and/or exploring other cheap free agents. If they don't find what they want through those avenues, then they will take back Blount for close to the league minimum. 

At this point, he is the Patriots Plan C. Plan A is probably see who is available in the draft that falls to them. Plan B is waiting around to see which backs get cut and/or exploring other cheap free agents. If they don't find what they want through those avenues, then they will take back Blount for close to the league minimum. 
Agreed...I hope they move on from Blount...just too one-dimensional...would like them to bring in a back with some power that it also a threat in the passing game...backs like BJGE and Blount are not a great fit for a team that values player diversity and confusing defenses with different looks...

Seems like he could slide in nicely to the Joique Bell role in Detroit.  Oakland also seems like a place a guy like him could end up.   Cleveland, Baltimore... Chicago!    Any of those horrible places. 

Seems like he could slide in nicely to the Joique Bell role in Detroit.  Oakland also seems like a place a guy like him could end up.   Cleveland, Baltimore... Chicago!    Any of those horrible places. 
Blount will never see 50+ receptions. 

Delete this thread. I feel like I'm a soap opera fan. Check in on the board after two years and the same flippin topic is at the top. 

This is is a junk thread that needs to be purged. 

loqutis said:
Delete this thread. I feel like I'm a soap opera fan. Check in on the board after two years and the same flippin topic is at the top. 

This is is a junk thread that needs to be purged. 
Listen here guy, Legarrette Blount has hurdled over another play before, OK? He's an excellent football player.

Ended up trading him for 3.05 today.

LeGarrette Blount rumbled for 69 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries in Thursday night's second preseason game against the Bears.
He's now hit pay dirt in back-to-back preseason games. Patriots camp began with some buzz that Blount might be on the roster bubble, but those concerns should be quieted after tonight. Blount hit the hole with authority, got downhill, and flashed big-play ability on a 21-yard gain. Blount remains the clear favorite for big-back carries in New England's offense. He has major ROI potential at his double-digit-round Average Draft Position.

Aug 18 - 10:52 PM

I'm not sure brady's return hurts too badly. It's not like Jimmy G was inept back there and they had to lean heavily on the running game. 

Lewis hurts white more than Blount.. two different backs. Small hit there but nothing too crazy. That said, I'm not exactly confident Lewis will be back anytime soon, nor am I positive he'll be his old self.... and I am a huge Lewis proponent. 

How do you think Blount's role/involvement changes when Brady is back?  or if/when Dion Lewis is back?
Don't see much change once Brady comes back. If anything he might be a bit more effective with defenses having to compensate for the GOAT.

Dion Lewis could draw away from Blount if Blount continues to fumble, but I see Lewis as effecting White (and the other random ball carriers) more since Lewis is more of a passing down back.

At the end of the day though, this is NE's backfield so anything is possible.

How do you think Blount's role/involvement changes when Brady is back?  or if/when Dion Lewis is back?
Blount got crazy carries after Garoppolo got hurt this past week. Not 100% sure what the question is here. I doubt Blount will be a bell cow 20-30 carry a week back once Brady comes back.

We've seen how NE runs things with Brady, Blount, and Lewis. Blount will get the occasional heavy workload and other weeks where he doesn't even get his uniform dirty. Basically, he will be a fantasy wild card once everyone is back healthy. As others have mentioned, how likely everyone is to be back healthy is a completely different issue.

I'm not sure brady's return hurts too badly. It's not like Jimmy G was inept back there and they had to lean heavily on the running game. 

Lewis hurts white more than Blount.. two different backs. Small hit there but nothing too crazy. That said, I'm not exactly confident Lewis will be back anytime soon, nor am I positive he'll be his old self.... and I am a huge Lewis proponent. 
Obviously Lewis hurts White more than Blount, that goes without saying, but it doesn't mean that he doesn't hurt Blount as well.

There's a difference in having the thunder half of a thunder/lightning when the lightning sucks, compared to having it when the lightning is really good.  Obviously we have no idea how much Lewis' injury will affect him when he returns but if he does return to form he'll command a much larger percentage of the RB snaps and plays than White does.

I loved this guy ever since he started leaping over guys in Tampa in 2010.  We let him get away because he wasn't a "Shiano Man".  

I loved this guy ever since he started leaping over guys in Tampa in 2010.  We let him get away because he wasn't a "Shiano Man".  
You did get Jeff Demps...

I was down on Blount going into the season but he is playing as well as he ever has...he has really helped take the pressure off of the young QBs...the Pats are also paying him peanuts...if Dion Lewis comes back healthy that 1/2 punch is going to be devastating...

Same here. Although I'm not a Bucs fan, I did follow him closely and remember the Schiano B.S. That guy was such a putz. I think the phrase he used was "Buccaneer man."

Blount could've been a workhorse for many teams, but instead bounced around and his talent was underutilized. He's not even that bad of a pass catcher despite the stigma he's got. I've seen him make some nice grabs with his hands (as opposed to trying to corral it into his body).

Same here. Although I'm not a Bucs fan, I did follow him closely and remember the Schiano B.S. That guy was such a putz. I think the phrase he used was "Buccaneer man."

Blount could've been a workhorse for many teams, but instead bounced around and his talent was underutilized. He's not even that bad of a pass catcher despite the stigma he's got. I've seen him make some nice grabs with his hands (as opposed to trying to corral it into his body).
I agree.  He really is a feature back.  People assume he is a goal line / early down back, but that's not the case.  He is really light on his feet for being so large.  I'm surprised he didn't generate much interest as a free agent.  The only issue I recall him having was fumbling, but I don't think that's been a problem lately.  I like him catching the ball as well.  He needs to touch the ball 25 times a game.

I agree.  He really is a feature back.  People assume he is a goal line / early down back, but that's not the case.  He is really light on his feet for being so large.  I'm surprised he didn't generate much interest as a free agent.  The only issue I recall him having was fumbling, but I don't think that's been a problem lately.  I like him catching the ball as well.  He needs to touch the ball 25 times a game.
Same here. I carried him in a keeper league after his contract with the bucs ended expecting a possible big role and it just didn't happen. Groupthink happens even with NFL GMs. I think there's enough proof on tape that he could've been a successful workhorse for many teams for the past 5 years, but he's only eclipsed 200 carries once... his rookie season.

Brady's return will be a concern for us BLount force object owners.  However, he's running so well BB will have to keep him involved heavily

Bb does whatever the hell he wants.  Who knows if Blount will continue to dominate or not.  But brady coming back definitely means more passing

Can't argue against Belichick, but I've always wondered why Blount isn't featured at all the passing game. I guess he's always had the luxury of a great pass-catching back in Faulk, Lewis, etc. but seems like Blount could be a weapon there too and not telegraph running plays.

Bb does whatever the hell he wants.  Who knows if Blount will continue to dominate or not.  But brady coming back definitely means more passing
That being said, if the defense continues to play as well as it has, there might be a lot more grind it out games for Blount.

Can't argue against Belichick, but I've always wondered why Blount isn't featured at all the passing game. I guess he's always had the luxury of a great pass-catching back in Faulk, Lewis, etc. but seems like Blount could be a weapon there too and not telegraph running plays.
That has always been an issue with me as well...the same thing happened with BJGE...you would think a few more passes in his direction would keep defenses more honest and make him that more dangerous in the running game...

Brady's return will be a concern for us BLount force object owners.  However, he's running so well BB will have to keep him involved heavily
I see it differently.  Brady's return means more time spent on a big lead in the 2nd half when Blount pulverizes an already-tired defense.

That being said, if the defense continues to play as well as it has, there might be a lot more grind it out games for Blount.
This.  Their defense is playing at a high level and as long as that happens you'll see a lot of Blount grinding down the clock and the defense in the 2nd half of many games this year. 

Brady's return IMO will lower blount's workload.  That's a negative BC he gets less opportunities.  Maybe he goes back to 15-18 carries a game instead of 25-30.  

But that's also a positive BC it preserves blount's health for the season.  

Also, NO opposing defense is foolish enough to stack the box to stop the run the way they have been for the first 3 weeks against the pats when Brady is back there.  The pats also have their best set of healthy wideouts that they've had in a while.  Blount will have less carries but bigger lanes to run through.  And he's always a good bet for a gl td every game.  He's a high rb2 for the remainder of the season IMO regardless of Lewis.   

Belichek overused Lewis last year.tried to feature him too much and he got hurt.  And he's got a laundry list of season ending injuries. Belichek won't do that again.  He wants to preserve lewis for the playoffs when he comes back. 

Blount is now a fixture in my starting lineup until I see a reason not to have him there.  

When Brady plays the Pats are a pass-first team...Blount will still be a big part of the offense but his role will be less and probably change week-to-week like it has in the past...also, there is another very big X-factor...Dion Lewis...he could be coming back week 7 and if he's the same player he was last season he will be a big part their offense...when he was on the field last year it took their offense to another level...I don't see BB lessening his role if he's healthy...that is not how he does things...

Crazy good numbers lately as I have Blount in my flex. Offense could be very scary good when Brady comes back. Blount could be good for a decent game perhaps 50% of the time? He will have weeks where he carries it 10-12 times for 40 yards and no scores I am sure? His rating will probably be 14 carries, 60 yards, and .5 TD almost every week? Then again, he could score 3 TD's and 75 yards in a heartbeat. It's game scheme by Belichek and game flow.

Begrudgingly started him last night over 5 guys drafted before him in ppr...Rawls, CMike, Jennings, Vereen, White.  He's so boring but has just been producing.

Crazy good numbers lately as I have Blount in my flex. Offense could be very scary good when Brady comes back. Blount could be good for a decent game perhaps 50% of the time? He will have weeks where he carries it 10-12 times for 40 yards and no scores I am sure? His rating will probably be 14 carries, 60 yards, and .5 TD almost every week? Then again, he could score 3 TD's and 75 yards in a heartbeat. It's game scheme by Belichek and game flow.
Once the Pats are not on their 2nd/3rd QB, I think it will be hard to project when Blount's big games will be. 

You can look at the schedule & say "the Pats should beat this team easy, Blount will have big numbers at the end of the game when they are running out the clock."  That's what happened the last two weeks; the Pats got up big, and Blount did his damage in the 2nd half.  Against Miami, 14/31/0 in the 1st half, 15/92/1 in the second.  Against Houston, 7/11/0 in the 1st half, 17/94/2 in the second.

When Brady comes back, NE might just step on their opponents' neck when they get up; instead of giving Blount the ball late in the game, they might trust Brady to keep throwing & run the score up.

Once the Pats are not on their 2nd/3rd QB, I think it will be hard to project when Blount's big games will be. 

You can look at the schedule & say "the Pats should beat this team easy, Blount will have big numbers at the end of the game when they are running out the clock."  That's what happened the last two weeks; the Pats got up big, and Blount did his damage in the 2nd half.  Against Miami, 14/31/0 in the 1st half, 15/92/1 in the second.  Against Houston, 7/11/0 in the 1st half, 17/94/2 in the second.

When Brady comes back, NE might just step on their opponents' neck when they get up; instead of giving Blount the ball late in the game, they might trust Brady to keep throwing & run the score up.
:goodposting:

I think if you have Blount, you appreciate the talent but realize the situation and just hold onto him on the roster. There will definitely be games where it's stomp on their throats with the band back together from a passing perspective, it's what Hoodie does. Dion Lewis comes back, more touches getting distributed. But a Blount start as a last bullet in the chamber off my bench if I need it, I will take his single game upside over whatever slog ends up on the WW later in the season all day long. I wouldn't want to rely on him for more than flex consideration past week 4 though week in and week out though, as there will be disappointing weeks for sure based on whatever gameplan works best for Hoodie.

Users who are viewing this thread