What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LenDale White's Stock Falling? (1 Viewer)

Baracuda

Footballguy
From Rotoworld:

The Eagles may be hesitant to draft LenDale White in the first round.

Some considered Philadelphia an obvious landing spot at No. 14 for the former USC star, but whispers about White's work ethic may drop his stock. Coach Andy Reid is confident in Brian Westbrook's between-tackle ability, so the Eagles might wait on a bigger back come draft day. Mar. 30 - 12:59 pm et

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

From Rotoworld:

Coach Andy Reid is confident in Brian Westbrook's between-tackle ability
I don't believe this.
I'm skeptical of Reid's confidence in Westbrook too, but maybe he's not psyched about White. The more I think about this article, if White runs 4.6+ on Sunday, he could really turn out to be the next Duckett. The Texas game made him a first rounder, before that he was a 2nd rd pick. I think he will go late 1st round, and possibly see him drop to early second.

Alot of the time Bush and Lendale were in the backfield together, therefore teams had to key on one or the other, and alot of the time they chose Bush. Also, with Lienart throwing to Jarrett, Byrd, and Smith - teams could not stack the box.

When White is a feature back, I cant see him being as dominate without the other difference makers he had around him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been hearing that his stock is dropping as well, mostly concerns about his attitude and immaturity. I know that he doesn't fit the steelers the profile, but I am still hoping they consider trading up to snag him if he falls into the mid 20s.

I still say he won't make it past New England (barring a horrible performance at his pro day).

I still say he won't make it past New England (barring a horrible performance at his pro day).
Possible. But, with his work ethic questions, I could see Belicheck going in another direction. White doesn't seem like his type of player (i.e., loves the game, puts it first, etc).

LenDale White is a superstar back just waiting to bust out. Any concerns over his work ethic are drastically blown out of proportion. He runs with a fire and determination that not many backs have. I would love to see him fall to the Steelers as he would be a perfect fit.

He has a nose for the endzone, and a hard charging style. His attitude is aggressive on the field, and he is a very coachable player.

Here's a stat from our upcoming (check our email) rookie reports:

963 of his 1,302 yards in 2005 came after initial contact.

That is very telling in what kind of RB LW will become. One can make the argument that he will make a better pro back than Reggie Bush. Yes, Bush is more exciting to watch, and can line up all over the field, but LW can pound it between the tackles and wear down a defense. Think Brian Westbrook vs. Rudi Johnson. Both are great in their own way. LenDale is a pounder that you can feed the rock to on a consistent basis. He has little injury history and because of his split workload he has relatively low mileage.

LenDale White may fall in the NFL Draft, but whatever team gets him will be getting one helluva back.

963 of his 1,302 yards in 2005 came after initial contact.
It could also be argued that this is an indication that he can't make people miss, and he won't be able to run over people the same way he did in college.You can spin this stuff any way you like. :lmao:

The Texas game made him a first rounder, before that he was a 2nd rd pick. I think he will go late 1st round, and possibly see him drop to early second.
He's graded out as a 1st rounder for the last 2 seasons.

I was reading how Savage was raving about him. Browns were last in red zone O and he scored 57 TDs, what's not to like?...something like that

BTW Savage rarely is impressed with anyone at their pro days. He seems to always say "Well he didn't hurt or improve his value" which is very grrrrr but I guess he doesn't wanna show his cards.

This is a shot in the dark to lower his draft stock. Someone's going to trade up for him.

I really think conventional wisdom on the FF boards is skewed, and that a good chunk of NFL teams will prefer White over Williams. It's tough to say how things will fall for the backs on draft day, but if I had to predict it then I'd say:

1.1 - HOU - Reggie Bush

1.14 - DEN - LenDale White

1.21 - NE - DeAngelo Williams

1.30 - IND - Joseph Addai

2.47 - ATL - Laurence Maroney

3.77 - STL - Maurice Drew

3.87 - NYG - Brian Calhoun

3.97 - NYJ - Jerome Harrison

I think it's a year like 2004, when Kevin Jones and Steven Jackson slipped more than expected. The teams at the top of the draft just don't need RBs enough to justify a top 10 pick, although I could see someone like Tennessee, NYJ, or Cleveland surprising us.

White should go somewhere between 12-22. Cleveland, Philadelphia, and Denver are likely destinations. Dallas could surprise us an take him if he falls. I don't see him falling past #22, but stranger things have happened. The thought of him in Pittsburgh is scary. That team would never lose.

I have an odd hunch that Indy will take Addai over Maroney if given the chance. Maroney seems like the consensus preference, but I just have a gut feeling about this one.

Maroney seems like a decent candidate to slip into the second round. He's solid in every way, but he's not good enough to warrant a top 15 pick and the teams at the back of the draft might have better options.

Drew, Calhoun, and Harrison deserve to be first day picks. The problem with these guys is that they're all a little undersized. Teams might be reluctant to use a day one pick on someone who projects only as a third down back.

I am reading more and more about an attitude problem and a weight gain problem. Not a good combination to have for a jump from College to Pros. Not sure it's spin offs from the Reid comments or people are really starting to get concerned. If he goes from 238 to 260 plus and he is only 6 feet tall that tells me he is carrying a lot of extra baggage.

Something to keep an eye on at least. I am starting to see draft bust written all over this dude.

This is a shot in the dark to lower his draft stock. Someone's going to trade up for him.
I was thinking this too. Where are these "whispers" coming from about his attitude problems?He had to attend summer school one year to maintain his eligibility and now he's got maturity issues?

I've spoken to Dave Logan (his hs coach) on several occasions about LW and he always raves about what a student of the game LW is.

Pete Caroll has been on record several times commenting on how LW is a team player. If he wasn't a team player he wouldn't have split time with Bush.

He led the team in rushing 2 of 3 years, and led them in TD's all 3 years. He ended his career as USC's all-time TD machine. That is an amazing feat.

LenDale White is the real deal.

I am reading more and more about an attitude problem and a weight gain problem.  Not a good combination to have for a jump from College to Pros.  Not sure it's spin offs from the Reid comments or people are really starting to get concerned.  If he goes from 238 to 260 plus and he is only 6 feet tall that tells me he is carrying a lot of extra baggage. 

Something to keep an eye on at least. I am starting to see draft bust written all over this dude.
Weight loss. He weighed in around 238 at the combine. Last season he played around 245-250. he played in the Rose Bowl at 253.Another great stat: He only fumbled 4 times in 3 years at USC.

I really think conventional wisdom on the FF boards is skewed, and that a good chunk of NFL teams will prefer White over Williams. It's tough to say how things will fall for the backs on draft day, but if I had to predict it then I'd say:

1.1 - HOU - Reggie Bush

I think it's a year like 2004, when Kevin Jones and Steven Jackson slipped more than expected. The teams at the top of the draft just don't need RBs enough to justify a top 10 pick, although I could see someone like Tennessee, NYJ, or Cleveland surprising us.

White should go somewhere between 12-22. Cleveland, Philadelphia, and Denver are likely destinations. Dallas could surprise us an take him if he falls. I don't see him falling past #22, but stranger things have happened. The thought of him in Pittsburgh is scary. That team would never lose.

I have an odd hunch that Indy will take Addai over Maroney if given the chance. Maroney seems like the consensus preference, but I just have a gut feeling about this one.

Maroney seems like a decent candidate to slip into the second round. He's solid in every way, but he's not good enough to warrant a top 15 pick and the teams at the back of the draft might have better options.

Drew, Calhoun, and Harrison deserve to be first day picks. The problem with these guys is that they're all a little undersized. Teams might be reluctant to use a day one pick on someone who projects only as a third down back.
Once again EBF :goodposting:

I am reading more and more about an attitude problem and a weight gain problem.  Not a good combination to have for a jump from College to Pros.  Not sure it's spin offs from the Reid comments or people are really starting to get concerned.  If he goes from 238 to 260 plus and he is only 6 feet tall that tells me he is carrying a lot of extra baggage. 

I agree. It's not a good sign. I don't know why people think LenDale runs with authority. Other than the Texas game he seemed to dance around a lot. Also, his o-line created big holes for him. People on this board keep saying that Denver's not a good fit because of their blocking schemes.

Possible. But, with his work ethic questions, I could see Belicheck going in another direction. White doesn't seem like his type of player (i.e., loves the game, puts it first, etc).
Cedric Cobbs?

I was reading how Savage was raving about him. Browns were last in red zone O and he scored 57 TDs, what's not to like?...something like that

BTW Savage rarely is impressed with anyone at their pro days. He seems to always say "Well he didn't hurt or improve his value" which is very grrrrr but I guess he doesn't wanna show his cards.
So all of a sudden Savage is going to show his cards and start raving about White?

I got his stock dropping too. After hearing reports about his lack of work ethic and maturity, he just doesn't seem like a 1st round pick to me. He certainly has the physical potential, but a team really needs more to justify a first round pick.

Cedric Cobbs?
Belicheck used a late round pick on Cobbs. I don't think he'll use a first rounder on this type of player.

here's a couple of things Ive read recently:From Rob Rang's chat yesterday:

Indianapolis, IN: Character issues have been associated with LenDale White ... can you elaborate a bit more? I really like him (talent wise) on the Steelers at the end of the 1st round, but am not sure he lands there.Rob Rang: The biggest thing is just a sense of immaturity with White.
From Jeremy Green's chat last week:
Mike, NYC: Is there any chance Lendale White is available for the Jets at 29? If not, who do they take?SportsNation Jeremy Green: (5:04 PM ET ) Lendale White is not very hot right now. There are some concerns about his work ethic.

1.1 - HOU - Reggie Bush

In regard to Addai to the Colts in the first and Maroney to the Falcons in the second, is it due to Addai being a good blocking RB? From what I've seen, the Colts RB needs to be able to pick up the blitz and I've heard (though I cannot corroborate this) that Maroney isn't a good blocking RB.

Where are these "whispers" coming from about his attitude problems?
Someone on the college coaching staff is not going to come clean on the kid on the record. However, a coach will come clean in a private, professional, off record conversation with a peer. Peer defined as somone in the football profession and not a media member. Coaches tend to watch out for one another from time to time. Also, team do a VERY good job tracking down team mates; high school team mates; high school coaches; youth coaches; second tier family members; high school opponents; anyone not a blood relative in his immediate circle of influence, etc...to get the goods on players. If a college player has a skeleton, then an NFL scouting department will find it and it will be taken into consideration and I do not care who the player is. The only other two employers that I have seen that do more extensive historical investigation into a potential employee are the FBI and CIA.

Just to be clear, Im still sold on White as a very successful chain mover in the NFL, Im just passing on what I am reading in my draft research. If I didn't think LenDale was going to be excellent in the NFL, I certainly wouldnt be hoping for my home team to get him.

I was hoping he would run a 4.6-4.7 so the Steelers would have a chance at him. I like this guy and had, until this year, thought he-not Bush-was the better back at USC. This year, Bush looked a lot stronger and more willing to lower his head if the extra yard was needed and impressed the hell out of me. Not to say that I don't like White any less, but I believe Bush surpassed him. I do feel that White is an outstanding back who at 235+ ccould make himself very small when holes weren't there and get positive yards as well as being a load to bring down. I'm all for him as I remember his character concernes being discussed a few weeks (months?) ago and being generally dismissed. Sorry, I don't remember the thread and if you don't either why find it to link it. W/o holes being filled in FA, he was a top 15 prospect. With the need for a starting RB being filled in several places the top RBs in the draft have been pushed down a little. No other reason for his draft spot to be falling.

Weight loss. He weighed in around 238 at the combine. Last season he played around 245-250. he played in the Rose Bowl at 253.Another great stat: He only fumbled 4 times in 3 years at USC.
He played at 233 at times last year and played at 258 vs UCLA. How does a guy at his position gain 25 pounds during the football season? He is the next Ron Dayne, not the next Earl Campbell. He'll be Mama Cass size by his 2nd training camp.

I do not think he will be able to play at this size in the NFL and be successful. He will need to hang around the 230 mark tops. You mention he weighed in at 238 at the combine, but you did not mention that scounts were not pleased with his conditioning. By that I mean, he took his shirt off to get weighed to collective sighs. He looked soft and out of shape. And if that was at 238, sounds like he needs to lose a few more pounds, and no way could he play at 245-250 in the NFL and be successful as an everydown back. He's not a freak like Jamal Lewis, who is probably the only back carrying that kind of weight and being a successful fantasy RB.Well know more this Sunday. He will have a chance to show his abilities at whatever he weighs now, and everyone will have better info to assess White.

He played at 233 at times last year and played at 258 vs UCLA. How does a guy at his position gain 25 pounds during the football season? He is the next Ron Dayne, not the next Earl Campbell. He'll be Mama Cass size by his 2nd training camp.
A professional boxer who fights @ 225 can commonly go up to 270 or so after his last fight, then lose it again while training resumes. All this has shown me is that he has a tendancy to gain weight while off-season, and loses it just as easily when he gets back into condition.He is most commonly compared to J.Bettis. Did a few extra pounds really hurt him once he got up to 250 (listed but probably more like 275). His career may have lasted another year or two if he kept himself down to 240 or so, but really...

A professional boxer who fights @ 225 can commonly go up to 270 or so after his last fight, then lose it again while training resumes. All this has shown me is that he has a tendancy to gain weight while off-season, and loses it just as easily when he gets back into condition.He is most commonly compared to J.Bettis. Did a few extra pounds really hurt him once he got up to 250 (listed but probably more like 275). His career may have lasted another year or two if he kept himself down to 240 or so, but really...
:apples: and :oranges: with boxers. Bettis was fit when he came to the NFL and he adjusted to his body type as he grew older. White is already an eating machine and soon as he gets that five year deal you can catch him signing autographs while he's in line waiting on his two Triple Whoppers and a diet coke.

He's not a freak like Jamal Lewis, who is probably the only back carrying that kind of weight and being a successful fantasy RB.
:confused: Jamal Lewis? :confused: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:rolleyes: :yawn: Sorry, I am going back more than one year which may be more FF experience than you have. Yes, JAM. You know, 1,000 yards in 12 games, the season before last and 2,000 yards the season prior. Granted, terrible last year. But, overall, a worthy fantasy back and more to my point, the only guy that I can think of in recent memory that's carried that kind of weight/size and been sucessful. :P

:apples: and :oranges: with boxers. Bettis was fit when he came to the NFL and he adjusted to his body type as he grew older. White is already an eating machine and soon as he gets that five year deal you can catch him signing autographs while he's in line waiting on his two Triple Whoppers and a diet coke.
If you don't like him, fine. I do. So what? I was just giving two examples of reasons why I'm not too worried about his weight. I apologize if you are on the draft committee of a team picking in the 20s or later trying to push his value down. It is not my intent to ruin your teams chances. :rolleyes:

1.1 - HOU - Reggie Bush

With 2 picks in the first 4 spots in my main Dynasty League rooiie/FA draft i would cream my shorts, front and back, if it shook out this way :bag: :thumbup: :excited:

I am reading more and more about an attitude problem and a weight gain problem. Not a good combination to have for a jump from College to Pros. Not sure it's spin offs from the Reid comments or people are really starting to get concerned. If he goes from 238 to 260 plus and he is only 6 feet tall that tells me he is carrying a lot of extra baggage.

But, he claimed that during the Rose Bowl he already weighed around 250lbs after the holiday eats and lengthy time off between games.....sure didn't seem to slow him down or hamper his abilities during that game.

He's not a freak like Jamal Lewis, who is probably the only back carrying that kind of weight and being a successful fantasy RB.
:confused: Jamal Lewis? :confused: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:rolleyes: :yawn: Sorry, I am going back more than one year which may be more FF experience than you have. Yes, JAM. You know, 1,000 yards in 12 games, the season before last and 2,000 yards the season prior. Granted, terrible last year. But, overall, a worthy fantasy back and more to my point, the only guy that I can think of in recent memory that's carried that kind of weight/size and been sucessful. :P
I agree that he does fine with the weight he carries. But he isn't a successful fantasy RB. Maybe a somewhat successful NFL RB. He's never been a TD machine and other than his 2000 yd season he just doesn't put up alot or even consistent fantasy points. I've seen too many people buy into his hype (including me this year if you go by my roster in my sig) and end up watching from the sidelines during the fantasy playoffs and I'm sure most people on these boards would agree with me. Ofcourse I hope he turns it around this year (for my sake) but it is a long shot.

Users who are viewing this thread