What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (2 Viewers)

FWIW

While my official start was 265 on Monday. I thought I'd mention that on the weekend I weighed 269. This morning I weighed 259.

Sunday night I had chills and shivering for a little less than an hour. Have a little bit of a sore throat too, but no significant temp increase yesterday or today (just bought a thermometer yesterday). Was able to get tested last night (due to the symptoms, a requirement before I can return to work). Results should be available in 2-3 days. However, my son (same household) was feeling a little unwell too and got tested yesterday too. He works for a hospital and used their facilities and has already heard back that he tested positive for covid-19. I'm now guessing that my results will be the same. If I am positive and my symptoms continue as is, I will consider myself one of the extremely fortunate.
As soon as I started to feel better I started eating and really craved things like bread. Christmas morning I was back to 265. Need to be eating less processed carbs and do some 1 day fasts once I'm done with this round of prednisone.
Still not back to work. Company requires a negative test before returning, instead of the more widely accepted 10 day isolation. It appears I'm one of those who continue to test positive for an extended period despite being symptom free.

Congrats to all who have had success or made progress toward your goal!
Good luck to everyone who will be continuing or renewing your efforts!

Today was rough, as expected.  Very poor food choices all day.   Starting over from scratch tomorrow — back to my routine from the past month.  Hopefully the past two days didn’t cause too much damage! ;)

Anyone else with me?   8-10 lbs between now and Valentine’s Day.  Let’s do this.  Don’t wait until New Year’s Day.  Strike while the iron is hot.
I'll get back on this.  Tapped out when I hit my low (gotta check my phone to get exact numbers), was totally motivated, limited myself to ~1200 cals the nxt day, walked a ton, knocked the dust off the versa climber....+2.5 lbs

Last edited by a moderator:
My final number was 208. Which was -1 from the beginning. Not great but not more, so there’s that. I got up to 211 and down to 206, so that would be -5, which looks better on paper. I’d continue to Valentine’s too. 

As soon as I started to feel better I started eating and really craved things like bread. Christmas morning I was back to 265. Need to be eating less processed carbs and do some 1 day fasts once I'm done with this round of prednisone.
Still not back to work. Company requires a negative test before returning, instead of the more widely accepted 10 day isolation. It appears I'm one of those who continue to test positive for an extended period despite being symptom free.

Congrats to all who have had success or made progress toward your goal!
Good luck to everyone who will be continuing or renewing your efforts!
Glad you are ok.   Hope you are 100% recovered.   Stick around here and let's all get even healthier starting today!

Today was rough, as expected.  Very poor food choices all day.   Starting over from scratch tomorrow — back to my routine from the past month.  Hopefully the past two days didn’t cause too much damage! ;)

Anyone else with me?   8-10 lbs between now and Valentine’s Day.  Let’s do this.  Don’t wait until New Year’s Day.  Strike while the iron is hot.
I'm in as I head towards the next goal of 200!

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                          

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                          
Nice!!  Just super impressive, consistent work the past 4 weeks.

My official weigh in will be next Wed when I’m back home.  Goal was to stay the same weight (153 lbs) from Dec 23-30.   Will see if that happens.  (Note:  I’m clearly shorter and less chiseled than others in here)

Next goal will be 147 lbs — with some addition of muscle via 100 push up plan - by Valentine’s Day.

Nice!!  Just super impressive, consistent work the past 4 weeks.

My official weigh in will be next Wed when I’m back home.  Goal was to stay the same weight (153 lbs) from Dec 23-30.   Will see if that happens.  (Note:  I’m clearly shorter and less chiseled than others in here)

Next goal will be 147 lbs — with some addition of muscle via 100 push up plan - by Valentine’s Day.
Wow, I don't think I've been 150 since 10th grade.

I'm not officially weighing in again until after New Years, but will keep to the 1500-1700 calorie routine I've been doing the last few weeks to keep a habit. 

FBG26 said:
Wow, I don't think I've been 150 since 10th grade.

I'm not officially weighing in again until after New Years, but will keep to the 1500-1700 calorie routine I've been doing the last few weeks to keep a habit. 
Consistent 1500-1700 calories is the way to go. Keep it up!

Re the 150, like I wrote, it’s really fun to be height-challenged. ;)

You just been watching calories Corp?
Yep, I try to stay under 1500 calories most days.  I know a lot of people have success eating 2500 calories and then burning 1000 through exercise but for me it just doesn't work as well.  In this next phase, I will be adding more cardio to what I'm doing, so I will have to increase my intake some, but probably not more than 1750 initially to see how my body does with it.  For my body, it's hard to out-exercise a bad diet.

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4

Yep, I try to stay under 1500 calories most days.  I know a lot of people have success eating 2500 calories and then burning 1000 through exercise but for me it just doesn't work as well.  In this next phase, I will be adding more cardio to what I'm doing, so I will have to increase my intake some, but probably not more than 1750 initially to see how my body does with it.  For my body, it's hard to out-exercise a bad diet.
This is my experience too.  When I stay close to 1500 calories, my body drops weight.  When I go above that — even with tons of exercise — I tread water at best.

Slow and steady.  Down to 216.  I did lose over an inch in the waist, so that's good.  I was pleasantly surprised when I had to tighten the belt buckle more than normal.  
Made it to 215 on Xmas day.  Not a huge drop, but again, steady progress.  I haven't weighed myself today, as I know I went up a little with the holiday and the aftermath.  Working hard to get it down a bit prior to NYE now.  Happy with the progress though - dropping weight without the gimmicks/fads/diets is a little more rewarding.

Made it to 215 on Xmas day.  Not a huge drop, but again, steady progress.  I haven't weighed myself today, as I know I went up a little with the holiday and the aftermath.  Working hard to get it down a bit prior to NYE now.  Happy with the progress though - dropping weight without the gimmicks/fads/diets is a little more rewarding.
Well done!!

Chief Wahoo in the house!

Yeah, I definitely fell off the wagon in terms of sugar consumption the past week which happens on occasion (especially this time of year).  Going to stay strong and remain diligent the next few days.  Seems like as I get older these food hangovers are just as bad as booze.  

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2
Well I've been stuck in the 212-213 range for over a week now.  I'm wondering if I finally hit "starvation" mode.  I know on New Year's Eve I'll be eating poorly so maybe that'll be the cheat day to jar me out of it.

Corporation said:
It's possible but there's a pretty simple formula for CICO.  

Your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is probably around 2000 calories, maybe a little higher since you're over 200 lbs.  

Add in the food you eat and subtract out any calories you burn through activity, and every 3500 excess calories you burn is one pound lost.  

Two people can have a pretty different TDEE because of age, gender, etc. And you can increase your TDEE by building muscle (especially in the large muscle groups that a lot of people ignore in their legs).   

It seems like the more common culprit isn't a low TDEE, but that you're over counting your exercise calories. You could be under counting food, too, but your results the last month suggest that you're doing fine with that.  It could be, though, that you're not counting little things youneat throughout the day, like a gatorade while you run or a couple nuggets your child didn't finish. 

You mentioned burning 1000 calories with exercise.  To burn 1000 calories, you need to do a LOT of exercise.  Running 6 miles burns a shade over 1000 calories.  Depending on your speed that might take an hour or so - 60 minutes at 6mph burns about 20 more calories than 51 minutes at 7mph and covers the same 6 miles. That's about the fastest way to get there.  You could also do about 3 hours of walking 3 mph, or do 4 hours of yoga, or 90 minutes of rowing at a moderate intensity.  

Those numbers come from myfitnesspal, but they aren't perfect. They vary depending on age, weight, fitness level, etc.  When i started out running at my peak weight I was almost certainly burning more calories doing less exercise than I do now, because I was carrying a lot of extra weight and my heart was pumping so much harder to support it.  So they're just estimates, just like your TDEE.  

The other way people seem to overcalculate their calories out is by saying they are "active", then counting the calories they burn doing the exercise that makes them "active".  Like if you walk around non stop 8 hours a day at work, you're active, but if you then add in your 12,000 steps that your fitbit says you burned, you're double counting.  I exercise almost every day, but I still hace myfitnesspal set as totally inactive sloth.  When I log the exercise I do, I know I'm not double counting or overestimating. That's a lot more difficult for people who say they're "active".  What do you do on a Saturday where you're not walking around at work and you go for a 90 minute hike?  Is that just being "active" or do you log some walking calories?  

I'm not going to argue with your results because you are killing it, and you should do what works for you, but for me, I know i made mistakes early on because I didn't understand how all this stuff works and I have seen other people here make the same mistakes and learn from it. I think you're taking a sensible approach here by changing gradually.  Good work. 

It's possible but there's a pretty simple formula for CICO.  

Your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is probably around 2000 calories, maybe a little higher since you're over 200 lbs.  

Add in the food you eat and subtract out any calories you burn through activity, and every 3500 excess calories you burn is one pound lost.  

Two people can have a pretty different TDEE because of age, gender, etc. And you can increase your TDEE by building muscle (especially in the large muscle groups that a lot of people ignore in their legs).   

It seems like the more common culprit isn't a low TDEE, but that you're over counting your exercise calories. You could be under counting food, too, but your results the last month suggest that you're doing fine with that.  It could be, though, that you're not counting little things youneat throughout the day, like a gatorade while you run or a couple nuggets your child didn't finish. 

You mentioned burning 1000 calories with exercise.  To burn 1000 calories, you need to do a LOT of exercise.  Running 6 miles burns a shade over 1000 calories.  Depending on your speed that might take an hour or so - 60 minutes at 6mph burns about 20 more calories than 51 minutes at 7mph and covers the same 6 miles. That's about the fastest way to get there.  You could also do about 3 hours of walking 3 mph, or do 4 hours of yoga, or 90 minutes of rowing at a moderate intensity.  

Those numbers come from myfitnesspal, but they aren't perfect. They vary depending on age, weight, fitness level, etc.  When i started out running at my peak weight I was almost certainly burning more calories doing less exercise than I do now, because I was carrying a lot of extra weight and my heart was pumping so much harder to support it.  So they're just estimates, just like your TDEE.  

The other way people seem to overcalculate their calories out is by saying they are "active", then counting the calories they burn doing the exercise that makes them "active".  Like if you walk around non stop 8 hours a day at work, you're active, but if you then add in your 12,000 steps that your fitbit says you burned, you're double counting.  I exercise almost every day, but I still hace myfitnesspal set as totally inactive sloth.  When I log the exercise I do, I know I'm not double counting or overestimating. That's a lot more difficult for people who say they're "active".  What do you do on a Saturday where you're not walking around at work and you go for a 90 minute hike?  Is that just being "active" or do you log some walking calories?  

I'm not going to argue with your results because you are killing it, and you should do what works for you, but for me, I know i made mistakes early on because I didn't understand how all this stuff works and I have seen other people here make the same mistakes and learn from it. I think you're taking a sensible approach here by changing gradually.  Good work. 
Nice to see you in here BF

I yo yo....but this is the first time in a long time I've gone 3 days without a late night snack.  And I've barely had any chocolate/cookie type snack.

Next step cut out the diet soda.  I only have one every couple days but that is next.  I'm keeping my coffee creamer :).... Trying not to deprive this time and just make slow changes

Well, I have Otis’d this thing right up. Didn’t lose right away like I usually do, got caught up in some busy stuff, and in general only half heartedly attempted to lose. So to sum up, I weigh today what I weighed the Monday that we started. And all that without a sip of alcohol. 
This is almost my summary except I did have a few beers.

Final weight was 240 - down 1.6

SO my final number was 234.6 down from 235.5.  Less than a lb but I got frustrated one day when I thought I did really well and gained 2.5 lbs.  Didn't see the sense in depriving myself of all the xmas goodies so I just tapped out.  Was down to 229.1 at one point and my high for the year is 249.2 so I guess it could be way worse.

This time around I'm going to try IF (18:6).  Actually forgot to take my protein bars to work with me today so it ended up being a 20.5 hour fast.  Thought I'd be famished at this point but I am oddly not hungry at all.  Trying to drink 3-4 quarts of water a day. As well.

Good luck everyone.

I yo yo....but this is the first time in a long time I've gone 3 days without a late night snack.  And I've barely had any chocolate/cookie type snack.

Next step cut out the diet soda.  I only have one every couple days but that is next.  I'm keeping my coffee creamer :).... Trying not to deprive this time and just make slow changes
Depending on what your using there are some really good "healthier" coffee creamers out there that feature less chemical ingredients and natural sugars. We have found some really good coconut crème based ones that are delicious with less calories.

Depending on what your using there are some really good "healthier" coffee creamers out there that feature less chemical ingredients and natural sugars. We have found some really good coconut crème based ones that are delicious with less calories.
No one asked you buddy 😂 

Those late night snacks are killer.  I found subbing a good tasting protein bar works quite well and fills you up.  I'd go with Oatmega Mint Chocolate Chip.  It got me over my evening chocolate/dessert habit.  On the other hand, stay away from Lennys Cookies.   Yes, they taste great but still pack a lot of sugar and calories.  

Those late night snacks are killer.  I found subbing a good tasting protein bar works quite well and fills you up.  I'd go with Oatmega Mint Chocolate Chip.  It got me over my evening chocolate/dessert habit.  On the other hand, stay away from Lennys Cookies.   Yes, they taste great but still pack a lot of sugar and calories.  
I have some atkins chocolate peanut butter pretzel bars on emergency stand by

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                  

I still feel full, I'm guessing Thursday or Friday is when troubles and cravings will start.   I wont be surprised to lose "10 pounds" in a week with the amount of crap still in my gut :)

I have some atkins chocolate peanut butter pretzel bars on emergency stand by
 I used to love Atkins bars until I started concerning myself with ingredients and realized they're filled with a ton of bs.  If you're worried about diet soft drinks, those bars are probably worse.   I like Oatmega's Mint Chocolate because they taste like Thin Mints, good macros and natural/quality ingredients:

Grass-Fed Whey Protein (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate), Chicory Root Fiber, Gluten-Free Oats, Organic Dark Chocolate (Organic Sugar, Organic Chocolate Liquor, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Soy Lecithin, Organic Vanilla), Organic Tapioca Syrup, Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Sunflower Oil, Almond Butter, Responsibly-Caught Fish Oil (Anchovy, Sardine, Tilapia), Cocoa Powder, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Sunflower Lecithin, Tapioca Starch, Monk Fruit Extract.

• Nov 27       235.5
  • Dec 29        234.6
  • Dec 30        231.8
IF 16:8 seems to be ok.  Might be more difficult when at I'm home during the day and don't have work to distract me or the fridge nearby.

Just got home from the holidays and did the official weigh in.  While I didn’t lose anything in the past week, somehow managed to stay almost exactly the same weight from Dec 23-30.  (+0.2 lbs)  Secretly hoped for a slight decrease, but since I was eating 3-4 cookies per day that entire stretch, along with my parents’ horrifically unhealthy eating habits, not exactly a shock.   

Back home now and time to just execute the same gameplan that got me to lose weight from Thanksgiving-Dec 23rd.

Goal is to drop 5.5 lbs between now and Valentine’s Day.  Not as extreme as this past month, but I’m also in week 2 of the 100 push-up plan, so hoping to put on a little muscle too.

Edit to add, at one point this week, my father suggested the following foods as “healthy snacks”:  

- a large chunk of cheese

- a grilled cheese sandwich

- a 1 lb stick of garlic sausage

- homemade fudge

- leftover pizza

- a root beer float

The above explains why I’ve had to recalibrate my views of healthy eating over the years.

Edit to add, at one point this week, my father suggested the following foods as “healthy snacks”:  

- a large chunk of cheese

- a grilled cheese sandwich

- a 1 lb stick of garlic sausage

- homemade fudge

- leftover pizza

- a root beer float

The above explains why I’ve had to recalibrate my views of healthy eating over the years.
I've told this story before but my wife still gives me grief because I once thought blueberry muffins were healthy. I was like, it has berries in it.  And she said thats nice but what about the cake.  Like you literally buy the same box at the store to make muffins or cake.  :blankstare: oh

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2
Well, 212.9 seems to be the weight my body thinks it needs to be.  My body and I are going to have to have a long talk.

For those that don't have a tape measure or may be worried about  accuracy, I use the shvantz to belly ratio.  As you lose weight your number should approach 100%

A lot of people are talking about going from now until February, there are others who plan to do sober February or give up booze for lent. I plan to do all three.. I'm going to go from now until Easter (April 4th) without alcohol and keeping my diet to 1500 net calories per day. 
Three months. I'm not going to say what my weight goal is yet but I have a number in mind and I think it's achievable.

Users who are viewing this thread