What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lowering the Federal Voting Age to 16 (1 Viewer)

Do you think that the population of 10 year-olds is meaningfully different from the population of 30 year-olds when it comes to maturity?
I think both are a mixed bag.  I suspect it depends on the stimulus.  I mean, look at the poor fishing attempts posted around our back and forth.  I think that, by default, the 30 year olds have more experience.  No real way around that.  But again, using age to determine maturity is probably not the best approach.  I'd rather there be a test to make said determination.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think both are a mixed bag.  I suspect it depends on the stimulus.  I mean, look at the poor fishing attempts posted around our back and forth.  I think that, by default, the 30 year olds have more experience.  No real way around that.  But again, using age to determine maturity is probably not the best approach.  I'd rather there be a test to make said determination.
In a vacuum, I could definitely get behind a test to determine voting eligibility.  But in practice this sort of test has a checkered history in the US, and I don't know that I trust authorities to write an unbiased test without putting their thumb on the scale.  I'd rather just stick with an arbitrary age threshold. 

If you can’t win on issues, then of course you want to change the rules of the game.  
Republicans recently don't have a strong track record in winning the popular vote so maybe rules of game vs issues isn't a great stand to take.

I don't believe that very many 16 year olds are "tax payers".  I am pretty sure that they are "tax deductions"

Every 16 year old that I know has mom or dad  fill out their W-4 and just about all of them list "Tax Exempt" or "Student"as their withholding.

If it's not done on their W-4, the parents sure take care of it on any tax return that they may fill out prior to April 15th.
If they have a job they pay all sorts of taxes. If they ever buy anything they pay sales taxes, gas taxes, etc. Not that means they should get to vote, just pointing out they do pay some taxes. 

We don't trust them to drink, smoke or make adult decisions until at least 18.
To me voting is very different from any of these things.  I think it's a huge problem that the interests of about 25% of the country are discounted by politicians because they are too young to vote.  The disproportionate power that old people have in this country has a significant impact on our public policy, and not in a good way in my opinion.  There's no such concern with the fact that young people can't smoke or drink.

If you can’t win on issues, then of course you want to change the rules of the game.  
Oh c'mon...you're making it sound like they'd want to get rid of the Electoral College or something along those lines.

Let's see...

• Lowering the voting age to 16.
  • Allowing illegal immigrants to vote
  • Trashing the Electoral College.
Anything else the Democrats want to introduce to keep the country strong?

How about a single party system?

Oh c'mon...you're making it sound like they'd want to get rid of the Electoral College or something along those lines.

Let's see...

• Lowering the voting age to 16.
  • Allowing illegal immigrants to vote
  • Trashing the Electoral College.
Anything else the Democrats want to introduce to keep the country strong?

How about a single party system?
It’s almost like they don’t care about legal citizens over 18 outside of New York and California.  

It’s almost like they don’t care about legal citizens over 18 outside of New York and California.  
Pretty much.

A handful of (Democratically controlled) states have already either passed or have introduced legislation stating that all of their electoral votes must be cast for whoever won the popular vote.  This would make it feasible that 6-7 states would determine the outcome of a presidential election.

It's not as if 50.001 % of the country distributed in cities on the coasts can dictate their will to 49.999% of the country

Nothing to see here.   :coffee:

A handful of (Democratically controlled) states have already either passed or have introduced legislation stating that all of their electoral votes must be cast for whoever won the popular vote.  This would make it feasible that 6-7 states would determine the outcome of a presidential election.
I have not heard this. Do you have a link?

"Government by the minority is good if the majority happens to live on the coasts." That message is gonna play really well with the next generations of voters, especially after we finish brainwashing them in the schools.

Well this seems to have derailed into Opie knows a guy but personally I am not for 16 year olds voting. Mostly because they are still forming their basis for rational decision making and are still having trouble always distinguishing long term outcomes for actions. Now with that said I think if a 17 year old is in the military, as I was, they should get to vote. If you can die for your country you can vote for who makes that decision. 

"Government by the minority is good if the majority happens to live on the coasts." That message is gonna play really well with the next generations of voters, especially after we finish brainwashing them in the schools.
The whole reason for the Electoral College was to prevent populous cities from dictating policy of the entire country.

Well this seems to have derailed into Opie knows a guy but personally I am not for 16 year olds voting. Mostly because they are still forming their basis for rational decision making and are still having trouble always distinguishing long term outcomes for actions. Now with that said I think if a 17 year old is in the military, as I was, they should get to vote. If you can die for your country you can vote for who makes that decision. 
I was 17 when I joined the USMC...and looking back...I did not know a whole lot about things other than booze and the red-light districts of certain ports.

I certainly wouldn't have trusted my judgement of a 17 yr old me when it came to picking a POTUS

Pretty much.

It's not as if 50.001 % of the country distributed in cities on the coasts can dictate their will to 49.999% of the country

Nothing to see here.   :coffee:
States have moved or tried to move back and forth between winner-takes-all and proportional electoral college votes many times. When Obama was President, Republicans tried changing Nebraska from proportional to winner takes all and Republicans in Pennsylvania tried the opposite. 48 States currently have a winner takes all electoral college system.

The whole reason for the Electoral College was to prevent populous cities from dictating policy of the entire country.
Yup. But at what cost?

I've spent my whole life living either in the upper midwest or the west coast. I see both sides of this. If the electoral college doesn't exist, NY and CA are making decisions for the whole nation. These two states have an extremely high concentration of people that have absolutely no knowledge of the area in between the coasts and don't care. It is all useless flyover country to them. This is not what I want for this country.

However,  the minority making decisions for the majority via the electoral college doesn't work for me either. I wish I had a solution. 

States have moved or tried to move back and forth between winner-takes-all and proportional electoral college votes many times. When Obama was President, Republicans tried changing Nebraska from proportional to winner takes all and Republicans in Pennsylvania tried the opposite. 48 States currently have a winner takes all electoral college system.
Seriously?

It is "winner takes all" of how their state votes....not how the rest of the country votes.

It is "winner takes all" of how their state votes....not how the rest of the country votes.
You said:

A handful of (Democratically controlled) states have already either passed or have introduced legislation stating that all of their electoral votes must be cast for whoever won the popular vote.  This would make it feasible that 6-7 states would determine the outcome of a presidential election.
You mean the electoral votes of a State based on who won the whole country? Can I see a link, that is new to me.

Nevermind I found it.  I am surprised this doesn't have a thread already.

These Bill's swing electoral votes from their states to the winner of the NATIONWIDE popular vote. So Delaware is sending their electoral votes based on how people in other states voted.

You said:
The articles say that these states would cast their electoral votes to whomever won the National popular vote

If Florida, Michigan, and Wisconsin had adopted this rule, they would have cast their electoral votes to whomever won the NATIONAL popular vote....regardless of how their state's population voted.

This, to me, does not seem like the solution to the electoral college issues. And 80s is right, it probably deserves it's own thread.

The articles say that these states would cast their electoral votes to whomever won the National popular vote
I see that now. When you posted popular vote I assume you meant in the State, not National. Here is an article about it and there is a big caveat:

Eleven other states and the District of Columbia have signed onto the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, an agreement that requires those states to select their presidential electors based on who wins the most individual votes nationwide, regardless of which candidate wins in the state.

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis signed a bill Friday bringing the state into the compact.

The compact only goes into effect once states with at least 270 electoral votes — the number needed to win a presidential election — have signed on. While the addition of Colorado brings the electoral count of states in the compact to 181, reaching the 270 point before the 2020 election appears unlikely.
So it only goes into effect if the majority of the Electoral Vote representing States all agree. 

https://www.rollcall.com/news/campaigns/colorado-joins-effort-to-elect-presidents-by-popular-vote-skip-electoral-college

This, to me, does not seem like the solution to the electoral college issues. And 80s is right, it probably deserves it's own thread.
I don't like it but I also concede that it is totally up to the State's how they decide to hand out the Electoral College votes. Not all States do it the same way now. Which I think also indicates some of the major flaws in the electoral college system. 

I see that now. When you posted popular vote I assume you meant in the State, not National. Here is an article about it and there is a big caveat:

So it only goes into effect if the majority of the Electoral Vote representing States all agree. 

https://www.rollcall.com/news/campaigns/colorado-joins-effort-to-elect-presidents-by-popular-vote-skip-electoral-college
So...it will only go into effect if there's a chance it would change the undesirable results of an election?

It is simply a way to circumvent the Electoral College without eliminating the Electoral College so why implement it if it has no chance of achieving the desired results..

So...it will only go into effect if there's a chance it would change the undesirable results of an election?
No, it only goes into effect if the states can be assured that the winner of the popular vote would then win the electoral college.  Having it go into effect before that would be contrary to the point of the whole exercise.*

*For what it's worth, I don't see any way the current Supreme Court is gonna find this constitutional if they ever do reach the threshold.  I'm in favor of getting rid of the electoral college but I think it probably has to be done by constitutional amendment.

Actually it was indirectly a part of the compromise on slavery. As it was affected by congressional representation which benefitted the souths counting of people who couldn't vote for that number.

And it is was outmoded a long time ago not to mention it is now captured completely by team politics so it doesn't prevent anything.

It is simply a way to circumvent the Electoral College without eliminating the Electoral College so why implement it if it has no chance of achieving the desired results..
That was part of it. Also it was a buffer against democracy. There was debate over whether Congress or the citizens should vote for President. This was the compromise. The people get to vote but if they make a poor choice, the EC could override it. The idea was not too dissimilar to how State Legislative branches used to vote for Senators. Today, an Amendment was created a direct vote for Senator and the EC votes are mostly a formality. 

In a vacuum, I could definitely get behind a test to determine voting eligibility.  But in practice this sort of test has a checkered history in the US, and I don't know that I trust authorities to write an unbiased test without putting their thumb on the scale.  I'd rather just stick with an arbitrary age threshold. 
As long as it's acknowledged as an arbitrary line and nothing more, I'm ok with one's position like that.  However, there seem to be some around here who think there's some sort of logic behind this age thing and then go on to offer "examples" that don't support that.  Those people, well...they're those people I guess.  I prefer the test approach myself even though it would probably rule out a good number of the trolls in this thread and on this board.  I mean, you see some of the drivel in this very thread.

The logic to pass the constitutional amendment to drop it from 21 to 18 was that if someone was old enough to be drafted, they were old enough to vote.  I haven’t seen any rationale here that would compare to that.  

It’s not easy to pass a constitutional amendment.

Again, this seems to be another arbitrary line.  The EC prevents the above, but it also prevents this at a local level.  Why draw the line at a state level?  Why not have proportional voting in the EC?  From the first day I read about this in 9th grade civics, I always thought that was a pretty stupid thing to do.  The logical change here is to say if one wins a state 60/40, that's how the EC votes are split up.  That puts all states in focus.  The current EC and complete removal of EC options don't do that, but I never hear my "conservative" friends offer that as a solution.  Weird.

The logic to pass the constitutional amendment to drop it from 21 to 18 was that if someone was old enough to be drafted, they were old enough to vote.  I haven’t seen any rationale here that would compare to that.  

It’s not easy to pass a constitutional amendment.
I agree. The only remotely similar arguments would the issue of taxation without representation and the idea that Congress could declare a war and enact a draft and a 16/17 year old could turn 18 and be drafted without ever having had a vote. The Constitution isn’t getting amended for that without massive disruption from the youth.

Since this thread has always been a bit all over the place, here’s an interesting voting story 

Florida citizens voted to restore voting rights to ex-felons. The Florida House is looking at a bill that would say ex-felons have to pay their court costs to get their voting rights back.

What do people think about this?

Since this thread has always been a bit all over the place, here’s an interesting voting story 

Florida citizens voted to restore voting rights to ex-felons. The Florida House is looking at a bill that would say ex-felons have to pay their court costs to get their voting rights back.

What do people think about this?
More political BS to try and refuse to do the will of the people :shrug:  

ETA:  This is how it was on the ballot "voting rights shall be restored upon completion of all terms of sentence,"

So you’re OK with Cali and NY deciding the POTUS every four years?
Really it’s just Cali. Florida has more people than New York. Texas + Ohio can cancel out California. Politicians would just have to adopt policies that appeal to more people in the country instead of strategies that play to certain States. It would also encourage candidates to pay attention to every State. Now half the States get written off by each Party because they aren’t winnable. I’m not saying it’s better or worse but I don’t think would mean Cali and New York ultimately have final say and make everyone else irrelevant.

Ilov80s said:
Really it’s just Cali. Florida has more people than New York. Texas + Ohio can cancel out California. Politicians would just have to adopt policies that appeal to more people in the country instead of strategies that play to certain States. It would also encourage candidates to pay attention to every State. Now half the States get written off by each Party because they aren’t winnable. I’m not saying it’s better or worse but I don’t think would mean Cali and New York ultimately have final say and make everyone else irrelevant.
but if you take the fear factor away, what's left?

Ilov80s said:
Yes, include Florida also, especially Dade county

The 50 biggest cities in the county probably have a rough population of 50 million total. That’s out of a total of 350 million people. So it leaves plenty of room for non- big city dwellers to have a say. Rural, suburban, small town, college town, etc. They represent a population plenty large enough to prevent the major cities from controlling a popular vote based election.

Opie said:
These laws are clearly unconstitutional and will get thrown out once (if) they hit the magic 270 and they all get activated.  

Can someone please point to me where the Constitution says states can't do this?  This feels like the same argument people were having when Bernie got railroaded by the DNC.  The response there was that they were free to pick their candidate however they chose.  I see nothing in the articles of the Constitution or it's amendments telling states how they must divvy up their electoral college votes.  I'm not saying it's Constitutional or not.  I'm just curious what people are using to support their emphatic "It's unconstitutional" position.  

Can someone please point to me where the Constitution says states can't do this?  This feels like the same argument people were having when Bernie got railroaded by the DNC.  The response there was that they were free to pick their candidate however they chose.  I see nothing in the articles of the Constitution or it's amendments telling states how they must divvy up their electoral college votes.  I'm not saying it's Constitutional or not.  I'm just curious what people are using to support their emphatic "It's unconstitutional" position.  
If a single state decided it wanted to allocate its electoral votes to the national popular vote winner that would not be a problem.  But that’s not what’s happening. A group of states are getting together and saying they will only allocate their electors that way if all the other states do too.  That’s an interstate compact.  Article 1 Section 10 of the Constitution says interstate compacts can only be entered into with the consent of Congress.  So if they don’t get that, it seems like a clear case that it violates the Constitution.

But even if they manage to get Congressional consent, I still think there’s a good chance that the Supreme Court would strike it down as the circumvention of a clear Constitutional provision.  We have a constitutional amendment process for changing stuff like this, and using an interstate compact to essentially change the Constitution seems itself to be a constitutional violation.  I think arguments could be made on both sides on this point but my expectation is that the current Supreme Court majority would reject this end run around the Constitution.

If they get enough states to activate the compact -- which is pretty unlikely imo, though not impossible -- then it's pretty likely that one party will be in enough control of Congress to get its consent. I have no idea what the SC would do but the arguments would be fascinating.

I think some of you (not you especially, fats) are underestimating the growing groundswell of voters who are really fed up with undemocratic processes inherent in our system.

Posts like this make it hard for anyone else to take you seriously.  You are not doing yourself any favors.
Really?  

Show me that I am wrong in saying that one of the Liberal cornerstones is not somebody else, specifically, the government providing for your existence when you can't (or won't) provide for yourself.

Really?  

Show me that I am wrong in saying that one of the Liberal cornerstones is not somebody else, specifically, the government providing for your existence when you can't (or won't) provide for yourself.
You were talking about kids being in school as if no conservatives put their kids in school because it's such a liberal thing.  You make it sound like education is a liberal thing and not a conservative thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread