What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (8 Viewers)

Is this show still getting the great reviews? I've seen a few folks say they like it and I thought I'd give it a try. I never watch regular TV though so I'm wondering if it's still getting the love it was.J
Dude, rent the entire first season. I think it's one of the top 10 best shows ever. Just outstanding. Chock full of good characters, great set and costume desgin, and just tons of subtext.

Dude, rent the entire first season. I think it's one of the top 10 best shows ever. Just outstanding. Chock full of good characters, great set and costume desgin, and just tons of subtext.
The show is a great miror of the time period. Episodes may still be available on line as well. I didn't watch last year, but got to see a few episodes of the marathon they ran the week before the new season. They will be re-airing the 1st five episodes from this season next sunday 5-10pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The show is a grat miror of the time period. Episodes may still be available on line as well. I didn't watch last year, but got to see a few episodes of the marathon they ran the week before the new season. They will be re-airing the 1st five episodes from this season next sunday 5-10pm.
:moneybag:

I love the scene a couple of episodes ago where Draper simultaneously threatens the comedian's manager while copping a feel on her.
Some interesting stuff going on there.And Don visiting Peggy in the hospital was enlightening as well.
I haven't watched last night's show. Will report back later...
Sorry about that. Not really a spoiler but I just assumed you had seen it. Carry on.

[And Don visiting Peggy in the hospital was enlightening as well.
Sorry about that. Not really a spoiler but I just assumed you had seen it. Carry on.
Well,then, I'll ask my question in the box for now.
I think we've settled on the rule around here that if the original episode has aired it's fair game to talk about it and if you missed it you take your chances entering the thread.I think it's a combination of the two.

I love the scene a couple of episodes ago where Draper simultaneously threatens the comedian's manager while copping a feel on her.
Some interesting stuff going on there.And Don visiting Peggy in the hospital was enlightening as well.
No need to apologize. I read the thread knowing that there may be spoilers.

Great show. One of the few I have to watch every week. This season is a little slow for me. I miss the office and ad biz stuff. I loved the episodes about the Kodak Carousel where they get into the creative process. This season is way more about home life drama and personal issues, which is compelling, but a bit boring. One thing for sure is that Draper is completely losing it.

Great show. One of the few I have to watch every week. This season is a little slow for me. I miss the office and ad biz stuff. I loved the episodes about the Kodak Carousel where they get into the creative process. This season is way more about home life drama and personal issues, which is compelling, but a bit boring. One thing for sure is that Draper is completely losing it.
I liked last season much better too. I watched all the new episodes until last week's. The new season episodes end, and I feel like nothing's really happened in the episode. Things are just slightly more twisted.

The last 10 minutes of the show last night were the best --- the Jimmy Barret vs Don Draper confrontation at the end was brilliant: "You know what I like about you? Nothing. But you got me everything I want. And what did you end up with? Bobby. And plenty of others have already had her." Ouch. Nailed him.

The last 10 minutes of the show last night were the best --- the Jimmy Barret vs Don Draper confrontation at the end was brilliant: "You know what I like about you? Nothing. But you got me everything I want. And what did you end up with? Bobby. And plenty of others have already had her." Ouch. Nailed him.
Yep. It's always fun when a character is revealed to be smarter than he was previously portrayed.Betsy ------------> :rolleyes:

Awesome episode last night. Sal loves Kenny, Draper having more flashbacks, Barrett calling Draper out, Betsy ralphing in the new car.
I looked away for a second just before the scene where Sal and his wife were in front of the television and for as second I thought he was the one knitting.

That last 10 minutes was about as good as any I've ever seen on a TV show.

:thumbup: Not to mention the scene between Joan and Draper's sec. Is she an icy ##### or what.

:goodposting: Not to mention the scene between Joan and Draper's sec. Is she an icy ##### or what.
Man, I am so in love with her.

Best episode this season. Seeing Draper's life unravel is great drama. Some how the guy is holding it together.

I am having bad luck getting people to watch this show. It's too bad HBO didn't pick it up because it would have had a bigger audience.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
zamboni said:
jdoggydogg said:
Robbie Cooper said:
Which one? Joan or the new secretary (who, btw, owes Sterling a little favor)?
The new secretary is definitely hot, but it's the red headed that does it for me.
There's stacked and there's stacked. She's definitely in the latter category.
She's built like a shick brit house.
Seriously. Those thangs are missles.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
zamboni said:
jdoggydogg said:
Robbie Cooper said:
Which one? Joan or the new secretary (who, btw, owes Sterling a little favor)?
The new secretary is definitely hot, but it's the red headed that does it for me.
There's stacked and there's stacked. She's definitely in the latter category.
She's built like a shick brit house.
Seriously. Those thangs are missles.
AaaaOoooooGahhhhhhh!

Great episode.

Did anyone find the littering at the picnic to be a little odd.

Just showing a total disregard or something deeper?

Who was the woman in the flashback at Don's car dealership job.

Great episode.Did anyone find the littering at the picnic to be a little odd.Just showing a total disregard or something deeper?Who was the woman in the flashback at Don's car dealership job.
I was wondering about the trash scene too. I think they do things like that to show how different life was back then. It was weird how they pulled back and sat on that shot for a while. I've noticed that they throw weird scenes like that in there from time to time; like pregnant women smoking and last year they had an episode where the Don's daughter was playing with a plastic bag over her head and the parents didn't seem to care. Maybe it had a deeper meaning, but I didn't get what it was.My guess about the woman at the dealership is that it was the deceased Don Draper's wife?

Great episode.Did anyone find the littering at the picnic to be a little odd.Just showing a total disregard or something deeper?Who was the woman in the flashback at Don's car dealership job.
I was wondering about the trash scene too. I think they do things like that to show how different life was back then. It was weird how they pulled back and sat on that shot for a while. I've noticed that they throw weird scenes like that in there from time to time; like pregnant women smoking and last year they had an episode where the Don's daughter was playing with a plastic bag over her head and the parents didn't seem to care. Maybe it had a deeper meaning, but I didn't get what it was.
On one level I think it is nothing more than a reminder to the viewer that the show takes place in a different time. The smoking, drinking, sexism, driving without seat belts, racism, etc. It works the same way the hair and costumes do...it adds a little realism.

I was wondering about the trash scene too. I think they do things like that to show how different life was back then. It was weird how they pulled back and sat on that shot for a while. I've noticed that they throw weird scenes like that in there from time to time; like pregnant women smoking and last year they had an episode where the Don's daughter was playing with a plastic bag over her head and the parents didn't seem to care. Maybe it had a deeper meaning, but I didn't get what it was.
On one level I think it is nothing more than a reminder to the viewer that the show takes place in a different time. The smoking, drinking, sexism, driving without seat belts, racism, etc. It works the same way the hair and costumes do...it adds a little realism.
That's what makes it odd to me. I wouldn't even think anything of it if the show was set today, but back in that time people generally tried to keep things clean. I was very little in the late 60's but clearly remember people always cleaning up as they left parks and beaches. It definately wasn't the norm for the day and was a symbolic visual.and I love the speculation that the woman might be the real Don's wife.

That's what makes it odd to me. I wouldn't even think anything of it if the show was set today, but back in that time people generally tried to keep things clean. I was very little in the late 60's but clearly remember people always cleaning up as they left parks and beaches. It definately wasn't the norm for the day and was a symbolic visual.and I love the speculation that the woman might be the real Don's wife.
I don't think it's the real Don Draper's wife. She seemed to not be sure at first that it wasn't Don Draper. It took her a second of looking at him to be sure. I think his wife would have been sure right away.Perhaps people were more trash-conscious in the late 60s than 1960. A lot changed in those nine years.

I don't think it's the real Don Draper's wife. She seemed to not be sure at first that it wasn't Don Draper. It took her a second of looking at him to be sure. I think his wife would have been sure right away.Perhaps people were more trash-conscious in the late 60s than 1960. A lot changed in those nine years.
It's wild to me that they didn't even have pull rings on beer cans yet in 1960. 1960 doesn't seem that far away, but they do a great job showing how far society has come since then, on many levels.

You know a show is great when you are still thinking about it many days after.

I think the last episode might make it my favorite show on TV.

It's approaching Sopranos territory with how much it makes you think.

After watching it again last night a few things stood out.

I was wondering about the litter at the picnic and caught what Jimmy says to Don:

"you're garbage and you know it"

and the whole connection between the the Rothko painting and the Golden Violin story(also the episode's title)

Both beautiful things that you look at that suck you in but don't have any real purpose.

Very much like the characters and the show itself.

btw...I said to my wife it was going to be a Jackson Pollack painting. Rothko was probably a better choice for it's more sublime feel.

You know a show is great when you are still thinking about it many days after.I think the last episode might make it my favorite show on TV.It's approaching Sopranos territory with how much it makes you think.After watching it again last night a few things stood out.I was wondering about the litter at the picnic and caught what Jimmy says to Don:"you're garbage and you know it"and the whole connection between the the Rothko painting and the Golden Violin story(also the episode's title)Both beautiful things that you look at that suck you in but don't have any real purpose.Very much like the characters and the show itself.btw...I said to my wife it was going to be a Jackson Pollack painting. Rothko was probably a better choice for it's more sublime feel.
Great comments. The Pollack one in particular. But were Pollack's paintings going for $10,000 at that time period?

You know a show is great when you are still thinking about it many days after.I think the last episode might make it my favorite show on TV.It's approaching Sopranos territory with how much it makes you think.After watching it again last night a few things stood out.I was wondering about the litter at the picnic and caught what Jimmy says to Don:"you're garbage and you know it"and the whole connection between the the Rothko painting and the Golden Violin story(also the episode's title)Both beautiful things that you look at that suck you in but don't have any real purpose.Very much like the characters and the show itself.btw...I said to my wife it was going to be a Jackson Pollack painting. Rothko was probably a better choice for it's more sublime feel.
Great comments. The Pollack one in particular. But were Pollack's paintings going for $10,000 at that time period?
Not really sure what art was going for at that time. Since Pollack had already died by then and Rothko had yet to commit suicide (nice investment) it makes more sense that it was a Rothko.Just wishful thinking from a Pollack fan.

Not really sure what art was going for at that time. Since Pollack had already died by then and Rothko had yet to commit suicide (nice investment) it makes more sense that it was a Rothko.Just wishful thinking from a Pollack fan.
I'm a fan of Pollack's art. The guy himself? Ehhhhhhh not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread