What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (1 Viewer)

Don buys a motorcycle. The cops have found out he's a deserter and are on his tail, for real this time. He's making his escape, and instead of trying to run any further, he turns into the path of an oncoming Coca-Cola truck. We see a green-screen shot of him in JC pose, screeching tires, and then we just see a stream of Coca-Cola along the side of the road, which a couple of crows start drinking.
Brian Batt (Sal Romano) in cameo as the truck driver.
Even better, a guy from the creator's previous show...Paulie Walnuts.

Don buys a motorcycle. The cops have found out he's a deserter and are on his tail, for real this time. He's making his escape, and instead of trying to run any further, he turns into the path of an oncoming Coca-Cola truck. We see a green-screen shot of him in JC pose, screeching tires, and then we just see a stream of Coca-Cola along the side of the road, which a couple of crows start drinking.
Brian Batt (Sal Romano) in cameo as the truck driver.
Even better, a guy from the creator's previous show...Paulie Walnuts.
Good point. AJ would be good too. Lord knows he's not working.

I've not been good at predicting this show. That's one of the reasons I think I like it so much. But the Pete Campbell story line in this week's episode seemed too neat and easy. I thought I noticed all sorts of foreshadowing of a plane crash throughout the show's run, including Pete's father's death, Pete going to work for Lear Jet and a final credits song by one of the most famous plane crash victims of all time, Buddy Holly. Pete's story could still end in tragedy.

I would be surprised if we see Pete next week. Could happen but I doubt it.
I agree. Seems like people want a coda in the final episode for almost every character.

The only characters that are really left are Don and his kids.

I'm sure people want to see Roger again, and certainly that's possible, but what is there left say about him, unless he dies?

I agree. Seems like people want a coda in the final episode for almost every character.

I'm sure people want to see Roger again, and certainly that's possible, but what is there left say about him, unless he dies?
Glad you're not a writer on the show. Is that the only way to give a character closure? Death?

Glad you're not a writer on the show. Is that the only way to give a character closure? Death?
Of course not.

I've said all along there was no way Don was going to die.

Do you feel Roger's character lacks closure?

Of course not.

Sure. What is his closure? Growing old working for Mcann?

You could make a case that none of the characters really lack closure at this point, I guess. You could even leave Don waiting for a bus heading west. That doesn't mean that's how you should end a show. I like to see something happen with Roger.

Something will certainly happen with Roger. They've given close outs to even the most pedestrian characters. He will get his.

Of course not.

Sure. What is his closure? Growing old working for Mcann?

You could make a case that none of the characters really lack closure at this point, I guess. You could even leave Don waiting for a bus heading west. That doesn't mean that's how you should end a show. I like to see something happen with Roger.
Don't be me wrong; I love Slattery and would love to see him in the finale.

I think one could argue, however, that the scene with Peggy was his closure: lamenting selling out to McCann, losing his name on the wall, but then realizing, "Well, what else am I going to do?" and reporting for work.

I've not been good at predicting this show. That's one of the reasons I think I like it so much. But the Pete Campbell story line in this week's episode seemed too neat and easy. I thought I noticed all sorts of foreshadowing of a plane crash throughout the show's run, including Pete's father's death, Pete going to work for Lear Jet and a final credits song by one of the most famous plane crash victims of all time, Buddy Holly. Pete's story could still end in tragedy.
Lots of fake outs and turns but I hadn't thought about this - and didn't think about/recognize the song in the credits. Nice linkage catch.

Anyone who thinks that episode sucked needs to read and re-read sepinwall's review again. It was pretty damn good.

The only thing that I hadn't seen pointed out was that I wonder if Pete only asked Trudy to come with him because he thought he needed a wife in "middle America" Kansas? They made it a point that the CEO asked for dinner with wives, which would lead me to believe that Duck either purposely left out the detail that he was divorced or he flat out lied to them. Either way, it seemed to matter to me :shrug:

I thought that was great closure with Betty. The detail of the letter leads me to believe that we see her funeral with her dressed exactly how she asked Sally at some point in the finale.

Tiger Fan said:
The only thing that I hadn't seen pointed out was that I wonder if Pete only asked Trudy to come with him because he thought he needed a wife in "middle America" Kansas? .
Maybe, but also maybe Pete realizes she is the full package. Man she is stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did the VFW guy say he and his guys did to the 4 Germans they encountered? I couldn't understand most of that sweaty drunken conversation and Roy was really distracting in his hat.

Hoping for a seinfeld style finale with airing of grievances by secondary characters, a Sal return and a lot of Glen.

What did the VFW guy say he and his guys did to the 4 Germans they encountered? I couldn't understand most of that sweaty drunken conversation and Roy was really distracting in his hat.

Hoping for a seinfeld style finale with airing of grievances by secondary characters, a Sal return and a lot of Glen.
They ate them. :stirspot:

Sort of odd how they woke the old guy up to have to relive that cannibal story. How many times does he have to relive that one

Did the motel owner know that it wasn't Don who took the money? Nothing was said and Draper just gave him the money but that scene was pretty odd if the guy really though that DD was the culprit

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Don left with everyone believing he did do it. He took him at his word that he'd get his car keys back, no questions asked.

Sort of odd how they woke the old guy up to have to relive that cannibal story. How many times does he have to relive that one

Did the motel owner know that it wasn't Don who took the money? Nothing was said and Deaper just gave him the money but that scene was pretty odd if the guy really thouhht the Dd was the culprit
The whole stolen money story line was pretty stupid. The motel owner practically begs Don to stay and come to this fundraiser (which Don doesn't even know is a fundraiser) . He knows Don is rich. But they immediately assume he's the thief when $500 is missing? And if he was the thief, where's the money? In Don's drunken stooper where is he gonna hide the money? His room or his car. That's it. So why not just turn the place inside out if you think he's got it.

Did the motel owner know that it wasn't Don who took the money? Nothing was said and Deaper just gave him the money but that scene was pretty odd if the guy really thouhht the Dd was the culprit
The whole stolen money story line was pretty stupid. The motel owner practically begs Don to stay and come to this fundraiser (which Don doesn't even know is a fundraiser) . He knows Don is rich. But they immediately assume he's the thief when $500 is missing? And if he was the thief, where's the money? In Don's drunken stooper where is he gonna hide the money? His room or his car. That's it. So why not just turn the place inside out if you think he's got it.
My thought was that the owners thought Don was the con artist the whole time. Sure he has money, but that doesn't mean he had to "earn it" honestly. Couple that with the owner's comments around how he was handy. Just my $.02

My thought was that the owners thought Don was the con artist the whole time. Sure he has money, but that doesn't mean he had to "earn it" honestly. Couple that with the owner's comments around how he was handy. Just my $.02
Why would he insist he stay if he thought he was a con artist? So he could fix his coke machine?

They were all pretty drunk and trusted everybody else in the room already...so the story didn't have to make sense

Why would he insist he stay if he thought he was a con artist? So he could fix his coke machine?
I love this show - but have to agree. It was odd, forced and made no sense other than to create some scenario for him to give the young guy a new life. Even then Don had to say something about how the kid would have to start over in life.

It doesn't hurt anything for me, but for so many odd things that happened in the series this one seemed like they let an 8th grade literary contest winner come up with that.

I love this show - but have to agree. It was odd, forced and made no sense other than to create some scenario for him to give the young guy a new life. Even then Don had to say something about how the kid would have to start over in life.

It doesn't hurt anything for me, but for so many odd things that happened in the series this one seemed like they let an 8th grade literary contest winner come up with that.
Yeah, they were obviously trying to create some parallel between Don and the kid. "You'll never be able to come back to this town." To which the kid should have said, so what.

Because he knew he had money and could help donate to his buddy. :shrug:

Sure. He even said as much. But I never got the hint that he thought Don was con artist.

Sure. He even said as much. But I never got the hint that he thought Don was con artist.
I might have used the word "con artist" a bit heavy handed. But let's look at it from the hotel owners perspective: You have a single, good looking, well dressed guy who appears to have a bunch of money driving a nice car across country for no apparent reason. He makes 2 phone calls in 6 days, so he apparently has nothing back wherever "home" is that is pulling on him.

It's easy to assess that something isn't right there. The kid put that together too...so it was his plan to pin it on Don. The owner clearly trusted the kid (or else he wouldn't have kept him employed), so Don it.

Not sure if I'm right or wrong, but it made sense to me :shrug:

The uproxx thing isn't a spoiler. Just a theory that he ends up in Europe doing advertising work there (so as to not conflict with his non-compete).

Users who are viewing this thread