What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

Talking Heads
#26 Stay Up Late

Here's the second from 1985's Little Creatures. Stay Up Late as described by Pitchfork:
Mid-album romp “Stay Up Late” is a far more jarring display of Byrne’s sudden fascination with toddlers. Driven by Jerry Harrison’s punching keyboard and big stadium drums, it’s the goofiest entry in Talking Heads’ catalog to date. Byrne demolishes any remaining scrap of stoicism: “Cute. Cute. Little baby/Little pee pee. Little toes,” he babbles. The song was a hit, parking on the charts for a full 10 weeks thanks to its fun, bouncing form: simple, rubbery bass, a lyrical nod to the Temptations, and a sing-along chorus. Perhaps Byrne’s paternal affections made him a more approachable frontman than the paranoid beanpole of yore. Still, no amount of artistic brilliance can justify the lyrics “little pee pee.” :ROFLMAO:

And he looks so cute (all night long)
In his little red suit (all night long)

Oh, and the video is a pretty good example of mid-80s low budget. It looks like it cost around a buck eighty-five. They seem to be having fun, though.

26. City of New Orleans

This is the second of four songs from their debut album, Act I, and a staple in their live show.

I heard this version before I heard the Arlo Guthrie version. Go figure.

Fun fact for you: despite having the most famous version of this song, Arlo Guthrie did not write it. The actual author, Steve Goodman, also collaborated with John Prine and Jimmy Buffett (may see a song or two of his show up on @-OZ- and/or @landrys hat 's lists later on). A lifelong Cubs fan, he also wrote our bonus track #5: Go Cubs Go.

Coming up next, our first individual spotlight.
I had it on the list. Erred in taking it off, should have dropped my #12 or when the boat leaves town 🤷
I was familiar with one or two of his songs with Buffett that were listed on his wikki article. May not have made my list, either, but if they would have, they would have been down around here.

OBLIVION

NOW (after the werewolf running up the mountain album?) we take a turn for the weird and more personal. This is the album opener to Crack the Skye, Mastodon's 4th album. Much different album open than The Wolf Is Loose. For starters it's the first time we get Brann singing, and that's who we hear first on the track. I think it's safe to say that the differences don't stop there. There are more bells and whistles, it's more proggy and it's only 7 songs with 2 being 10mins + in length. It's another concept album, and here is what the story is about (from wiki):

There is a paraplegic and the only way that he can go anywhere is if he astral travels. He goes out of his body, into outer space and a bit like Icarus, he goes too close to the sun, burning off the golden umbilical cord that is attached to his solar plexus. So he is in outer space and he is lost, he gets sucked into a wormhole, he ends up in the spirit realm and he talks to spirits telling them that he is not really dead. So they send him to the Russian cult, they use him in a divination and they find out his problem. They decide they are going to help him. They put his soul inside Rasputin's body. Rasputin goes to usurp the czar and he is murdered. The two souls fly out of Rasputin's body through the crack in the sky(e) and Rasputin is the wise man that is trying to lead the child home to his body because his parents have discovered him by now and think that he is dead. Rasputin needs to get him back into his body before it's too late. But they end up running into the Devil along the way and the Devil tries to steal their souls and bring them down ... there are some obstacles along the way.[17]

As I said, this is the first time I could tell that real life personal stuff got pushed front and center on an album of theirs. The main catalyst is after an awards even Brent was involved in an altercation that ended with him being punched in the face once so hard that he ended up in the hospital, almost died, and from my understanding suffered severe vertigo for months and spent most of his waking time on their couch working through his **** writing music. IMO there is a noticable step up with his solos and the punch they give on the songs. The solo on Oblivion around the 3:30 is an example of what I am talking about. It feels throughout the album the rest of the group was getting out of his way and letting him lead the way in many aspects of the writing. I talked about how I loved that dynamic in the group, and they do the same with Emperor for Bill. That is where the trippy, floating sound on this album is coming from and the ideas of astral projection and the like. It's what Brent was feeling.

On top of that, Brann added a very heavy core of emotion to the album with the title, dedication, song, and many lyrics. I will get into it more later, but Brann's sister died by suicide when he was 14. and her name was Skye. Going through interviews, my impression is that is something that had been festering for decades and he had been needing to get emotions out through his music somehow. Watching the "making of" doc on youtube, it very much felt like it was just the right time for the two friends to team up and push each other to release that into the album and the group as a whole rallying around them working their asses off to get a record together for all that.

Over the last couple of days, I have been playing Crack the Skye a couple times. I'm a broken record, but perfect metal album #4 from them. I am starting to wonder if this is actually my favorite of theirs, I just avoid it more because the emotions are rawer - a song coming up makes me tear up, and we can't have that while blasting metal. ;) All 7 of these songs were on my playlist at one point or another.

@KarmaPolice looks like i posted the #27 song link to the #26. This should be In Between.

Thanks
Doh! Missed that one, sorry. I just made the change.
Was my mistake. No need to apologize. Thanks for correcting the playlist. :thanks:
Not sure I've commented on Collective Soul yet, but I've loved the tunes so far. They are in an embarrassingly big group of artists I largely wrote off for one reason or another back in the day. Mostly that I thought I was too cool or metal for it, honestly. Too radio-friendly?

I've realized how much good music I wasn't listening to back then thanks to these playlists and drafts over the years.
Glad you have enjoyed them. A number of more upbeat songs coming up. Not quite Mastodon level but a little faster pace.

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night SweatsAAABatteriesStill Trying

I believe Rateliff has said in an interview that this song is about his alcoholism. Thankfully I’ve never had to deal with that but have had my own demons over the years. I can remember when struggling I once told my wife, “I’m trying really hard” - I think about that and how great she was whenever I hear “Still Trying”.

Powerful Lyrics:

When I wake up in the morning I'm gonna tell
I was standing looking backwards in the outs
You said there's room enough to cramping in the crowd
No movement here no friends to break us out
Stop breathing or we'll just twin fout

I don't know
I don't know
I don't know
I don't know a ******* thing

In these moments I forget to tell myself
And if you're rolling in it long enough your **** won't even smell
Is there no one I can trust to point it out
Well I can hardly be right here, I was spitting on myself
When I wake up in the morning I'm gonna tell

I don't know
I don't know
I don't know
I dont' know a ******* thing

This wound is gonna cancel me out (x4)

Ooh ooh I don't know
I don't know
I don't know
I don't know a ******* thing

Where are krista and simey, anyway?
K4 had a couple of trips planned this month. Probably explains her absence.

Good notebooking! Actually one of my trips, to New Orleans Oct. 2-6, had to be canceled because of item #1 below. Have a work trip to Denver coming up in a week.

Haven't been around due to two things: (1) Mr. Wrighteous Ray had a health scare with extended hospital/rehab stay (at home now slowly improving), and for half the time was at rehab an hour away, so I've been caught up with transporting Wrighteous Ray and helping her with stuff; and (2) I hate you all.

Just kidding about that second one. The second one is actually job-related. Remember how I had to go to work directly for my employer this time last year because they were otherwise going to fire me for being too expensive as outside counsel? Now, within a year after thinking I was going to lose my job, they've had me take over the whole team instead. So the past 6-8 weeks have been brutal in terms of trying to get up to speed on what that entails, then developing a communication plan for it all (a bunch of lawyers who were parallel to me in the org are now reporting to me, plus we're changing the way work gets allocated), and then dealing with the ongoing communication after the announcement. Oh, and planning the team meeting that I'm leaving for in a week.

It's been...a lot. Not sure I'll ever catch up fully on this thread, but I will definitely hit some of the artists I was most looking forward to.

simey and I message pretty frequently, and she's doing fine. She's on vacation in the Virginia mountains this weekend!

Mike ShinodaJust Win BabyPoints Of Authority

This is a Linkin Park song from their first album, Hybrid Theory, which takes its title from the initial name of the band, which in turn was based on the concept of music theory and combining different styles.

Hybrid Theory was a massive success. It peaked at #2 on the US Billboard 200, despite being in a bit of a new and niche genre - nu-metal. It is certified as 12x Platinum and has sold more than 32 million copies worldwide, making it the best selling debut album since Appetite for Destruction by Guns 'N' Roses. Linkin Park was nominated for the Best New Artist Grammy, and the album was nominated for Best Rock Album, but they didn't win either Grammy.

In 2021, Kerrang ranked the top 20 Linkin Park songs of all time and ranked Points of Authority at #11. Here is an excerpt about the song from that ranking:

Perhaps the most nu-metal track the band ever recorded, this was proof that Linkin Park had the grit to counterbalance their platinum-selling glamour. There’s rabble-rousing quality at every turn, from Joe Hahn’s vinyl-sparking scratchwork to Brad Delson’s rumbling riffage and Shinoda’s all-attitude intro. At the heart of it all, though, is Chester’s cry: ‘You like to think you’re never wrong / You have to act like you’re someone…’ marrying adolescent angst and blockbuster bombast for something truly anthemic.

In 2020, Metal Hammer ranked the top 25 Linkin Park songs of all time and ranked Points of Authority at #16. Here is an excerpt about the song from that ranking:

Points Of Authority was named as the sixth best nu metal song of all time, with Stephen Hill writing “Nu metal’s biggest-selling band proved they had the balls to go with their platinum discs by smashing out this big-riffing banger. Their heaviest tune, without doubt.”

In 2017, Billboard ranked the top 15 Linkin Park songs of all time and ranked Points of Authority at #7. Here is an excerpt about the song from that ranking:

LP at their most weaponized: “Points of Authority”... stands as one of their early signature songs because it scorches at every turn: Shinoda’s carnival-barking intro, Brad Delson’s rumbling-belly fretwork, even Hahn’s blisters-on-mah-fingers scratching. But it’s a Bennington showcase first and foremost: “You like to think you’re never wrong/ You have to act like you’re someone” is about as boilerplate second-person excoriation as you’ll find in nu-metal, but delivered through Bennington’s piercing wail it feels like a near-generational rallying cry.

Lyrics excerpt:

You love the way I look at you
While taking pleasure in the awful things you put me through
You take away if I give in
My life, my pride is broken

You like to think you're never wrong
(You live what you've learned)
You have to act like you're someone
You want someone to hurt like you
You wanna share what you have been through

I highly recommend that you listen in a setting where you can crank up the volume!

26. Away from the Numbers
Album: In the City (1977)
Released as a single? No

A powerful number from the first album, Away from the Numbers may be the most successful case of The Jam's repurposing of The Who's pre-Tommy sound. Rick Buckler gets Keith Moon's style down perfectly, and the same goes for Paul Weller with Pete Townshend's. Its arrangement is more diverse and expansive than the slash-and-burn of most of In the City, so the song really sticks out in the context of the album. (And at 4:03, it is by far its longest track.) As the title implies, the song is about ditching conformity and expectations and following your own path.

Then I saw that I was really the same
So this link's breaking away from the chain

This is not the last appearance of the title phrase in this countdown.

Fire and Skill 1979 disc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KVGWZxQ7l8
Fire and Skill 1982 disc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCdWeaVLxc0
Live Jam (1993 live album) version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2BJXICzgwE
1979 live version included on the deluxe edition of Setting Sons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGNH4-hGkS0

At #25, the band's highest-charting single before The Eton Rifles changed their career trajectory.

Röyksopp
26 - The Night feat Alison Goldfrapp

Year - 2022
Appears on - Profound Mysteries III
Vocalist - Alison Goldfrapp
Key Lyric -
Moon
Ride
Slide
Silver when they fall

Notes

1- This is second appearance of Alison Goldfrapp on the Profound Mysteries trilogy. The first “Impossible” was beaten out by this one.

2- Goldfrapp, from the duo featuring her name were very successful in the US in the 00s, with 4 top 10 entries in the US Sales chart, and 9 in the top 40 for the same chart. A&E reached number 2 and Rocket reached number 4.

3-Goldfrapp was effusive in her praise of the Norwegians. “It’s been great working with the wonderful Svein & Torbjørn from Röyksopp. I’ve been a fan of their music for years, and it was a fascinating joy creating ‘Impossible’ together. I truly hope everyone enjoys the track as there’s more to come.”

Running Vocal Count
Röyksopp - 2
Robyn - 1
Gunhild Ramsay Kovacs - 1
Alison Goldfrapp - 1
Instrumental - 1

Where to find
Melody A.M - 0
The Understanding - 0
Röyksopp’s Night Out - 1
Back to Mine Series - 0
Junior - 0
Senior - 0
Late Night Tales Series - 0
Do It Again EP - 1
The Inevitable End - 0
Profound Mysteries I - 0
Profound Mysteries II - 0
Profound Mysteries III - 2
Other/Non Album Songs - 2

Year
1999 - 0
2001 - 0
2002 - 1
2005 - 0
2006 - 1
2007 - 0
2008 - 0
2009 - 0
2010 - 0
2013 - 0
2014 - 1
2016 - 1
2022 - 2

Next up an instrumental

The Beatles Tears for Fears
#26 - Who Killed Tangerine?

Appears - Everybody Loves a Happy Ending LP
Year - 2004
UK Highest Chart Position - Non Single
US Highest Chart Position -Non Single
Key Lyric -
Who killed tangerine?
The prettiest girl I've ever seen
Who killed tangerine?

And when you think it's all over
It's not over, it's not over

Notes
1- This album is almost a Beatles sound alike. Obviously inferior, but even pastiche Beatles can still sound good.

2- “Popmatters staff” writes
The group has always worn its Beatles fixation on its sleeve, but this time Orzabal and Smith have set out to create the greatest album the Fab Four never released — a strategy that, while admirably bold, will inevitably suffer from unattainable expectations, as the Electric Light Orchestra have painfully proven.”

3- They continue
Can it be a coincidence that the first part of “Who Killed Tangerine?” adopts the same stutter-step beat of “Come Together”? And much like the shimmering 1985 hit “Head Over Heels” ended with a “Hey Jude”-like chorale, “Tangerine” ends similarly, with the repeated and apt refrain “And when you think it’s all over / It’s not over”.

Where to find

The Hurting - 1
Songs from the Big Chair - 0
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 0
Raoul and the Kings of Spain - 0
Everybody Loves a Happy Ending - 2
Ready Boys and Girls - 0
The Tipping Point - 0
Greatest Hits only - 0
B- Sides - Other/Non Album Songs - 3

Year
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 2
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 0
1995 - 1
2004 - 2
2014 - 0
2017 - 0
2021 - 0
2022 - 0

Next up we continue impersonating the Beatles with the most obvious yet, but not for the last time

#26 Maybe We Should Fall In Love (off No More Beautiful World, 2007)

(mixed with live footage & BTS of the recording) Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers "Maybe We Should Fall In Love"
(Live Version – Off Live at the Belly Up) Maybe We Should Fall in Love (Live)

All our might
Can't change it at all
Speed of light is slowing down to a crawl
And now we find that we'll take flight only when we fall

Why I Chose It:

Overall this is a solid, high energy rocker. Strong vocals and guitar work here throughout. Really, I simply dig the vibe of this one, and I’d have this (much) higher if it didn’t feel like the title was bordering on half the lyrics.

Now, message-wise, it’s worth noting that the “we” isn’t directed at a single person, but instead the world at large. Perhaps in the same vein as “All You Need is Love” or “What’s So Funny about Peace, Love and Understanding” in spirit, if certainly without the magnitude of either. Probably not a big surprise; I mean, they have “Peacemakers” in the band’s name for a reason, while trying to not be preachy about it.

Beastie Boys #26 - Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win
Album - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two (2011)

Peacockin'
Ad-Rock: 0, MCA: 0, Mike D: 0, Beastie Boys: 0, Greater NYC: 0

Name Rockin'
na

Rhyme Squawkin'
You're caught now by the skin you're in
In a bind now your thoughts go to all your sins

Yo Mama Talkin'
This is a fun collaboration with Santigold and is a nice change of pace for my playlist.

I highly recommend checking out this awesome video where Beastie Boys action figures battle Nazi zombies with help from a yeti.

I missed the 27's, so let's do both.

27 - Helpless - CSNY
Helpless
It's CSNY, and you can hear the other guys in the chorus, but this is almost solo Neil (prettymuch every CSNY that's Neil's is quasi solo Neil. He brought in his own songs seperately and basiclaly said "here you go" - very little, if any, collaboration.) This one is Neil singing about early childhood memories. The town is Omemee, in Ontario. Karma included the excellent Last Waltz version in the playlist, with Joni Mitchell on backing vocals.

26 - Chicago - Graham Nash

Chicago

Then for the #26, we have a solo effort by Graham Nash, from his debut solo record "Songs for Beginners". It's about the 1968 DNC protests in Chicago, and the subsequent trials. These guys were all about the protest song, which they all do quite well. I saw Nash last year in Durham NC, and he sounded fantastic. He played this and everything else you wanted to hear.

Last edited:
I've been keeping up with the listening, but not with the writeups (besides Mastodon and horror movie rambles). Here are random musings from the #28s and 27s.

Like others, Los Lobos and Sia stand out so far as surprises of the draft for me. There hasn't been a song of either I haven't really liked yet.
A few others have been a tier below in that I've liked most more than I expected. Against Me! was one main one. I don't seem to like punk much, and I assumed I wouldn't like much here. Also with the country leaning acts I haven't had any issues getting through and also really liked most. That would be John Prine, Neko, DBTs, Nick Cave and I feel a couple others I am missing.
There's another big group of acts that I was sure I'd like and they haven't disappointed with the tunes so far. That would be Ms. Simone, Prince, Tanya, Melloncamp, Cheap Trick, Ben Folds, and a few others.

I have officially warmed up to The Jam. Not full embrace yet, more like THIS?
Kid Rock. :lol: In a good way. He has to be the king of dumb, DGAF, 2 fingers up rock, and I am here for it.
This round's winners of my "weed doesn't make everything better" award are Black Midi . I can hear the talent but I find the music both fascinating and terrifying. :lol: Bauhaus was the reason last round that I had to stop with the random button, because it freaked me out when it came on randomly at night. I need to be prepared, or listen in the morning.

I've already added a song from all artists and I feel like I've talked about a lot of others already that I didn't mention above. Great playlist and group of artists again - thanks for the great music, all!
Reaction

Selected favorites from the #26s. It was a strong round for the “new discoveries” section. I could’ve listed ten selections from there easily. Maybe some future time? For now, I’ll let “selected” mean “less than half the songs”. Shuffled? Yabetcha!

Familiar songs:
Straight To You - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
City of New Orleans - The Seldom Scene
Street of Dreams - Rainbow
Starman - David Bowie - Much, much closer to the top of the list for me. Though I know there’s dozens of great songs to go still.

New discoveries:
The Night - Rokyksopp
Edge of the World - Faith No More
Dreaming Man - Neko Case
Video - Ben Folds
Evangeline - Los Lobos. Sounded vaguely familiar, but I’ll put it here. Easily my favorite from them so far.
Lonely Road of Faith - Kid Rock
Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart - Chris Cornell

Against Me! #26 - Americans Abroad

Album: New Wave
Year: 2007

The first of several tracks from Against Me!'s biggest-selling album and major label debut. As someone who's been known to get embarrassed by my loud and obnoxious fellow countrymen,* I embraced a literal read of the lyrics right away:

And while I hope I'm not like them, I'm not so sure

For a (formerly?) anarchist/anti-capitalist punk band though, the words expressed a lot more than discomfort and went straight to an identity crisis.

Here we are, a rock band looking for new audiences
Wherever we go, Coca-Cola's already been
We're Americans abroad
We're Americans abroad
And I just can't help but think that's the comparison

* Visiting the Reeperbahn (Red Light District) in Hamburg, I weirdly took immense pride when the Romanian sex workers - who called out to most of the gawkers in English - mistook me for German and solicited me with sexy words that I in no way understood. I can pass for a slightly chunky European - hooray for me!

Tom PettyZegras11Handle With Care

Second sighting of the WIlburys. Never gave them a deep listen like this before.

Here's my 26-31...

Handle With Care
Learning To Fly
You Got Lucky
When The Time Comes
The Last DJ
Runaway

Second sighting of the WIlburys. Never gave them a deep listen like this before.

Here's my 26-31...

Handle With Care
Learning To Fly
You Got Lucky
When The Time Comes
The Last DJ
Runaway
Traveling Willburys are Vastly under rated IMO. What a super group of individual stars that came together to produce some truly awesome music.

Here's my 26-31...

Handle With Care
Learning To Fly
You Got Lucky
When The Time Comes
The Last DJ
Runaway

Petty is one of my top 5 favorite artists of all time, and my top 31 would not include your 26, 30, or 31. It's a deep catalog!

MY favorites from the 28s

Known
Modern Love - Bowie
Just Another Day - JCM
Your Got Lucky - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Knew to me
Viva Karaoke - Tanya Donnelly
Speed Dial No.2 - Sia/Zero 7
Strip Mall Parking Lots - Against Me!
Midnight cowboy (Theme) - Faith No More
Tupelo - Nice Cave & the Bad Seeds
Promise - Chris Cornell/Slash
Brakeman - Nathaniel Reteliff
Mexican Home - John Prine

Pretty good round for me to listen to although not as good as the 30s.

Really digging John Prine. Had never even heard of the man until his passing and then comments in these threads about his music. Glad I have had a chance to listen to his music.
Also enjoying pretty much all we've heard from Sia.

This was my favorite Mastodon song (Show Yourself) thus far but not quite enough to add to my library.

This is a Linkin Park song from their first album, Hybrid Theory, which takes its title from the initial name of the band, which in turn was based on the concept of music theory and combining different styles.

Hybrid Theory was a massive success. It peaked at #2 on the US Billboard 200, despite being in a bit of a new and niche genre - nu-metal. It is certified as 12x Platinum and has sold more than 32 million copies worldwide, making it the best selling debut album since Appetite for Destruction by Guns 'N' Roses. Linkin Park was nominated for the Best New Artist Grammy, and the album was nominated for Best Rock Album, but they didn't win either Grammy.

In 2021, Kerrang ranked the top 20 Linkin Park songs of all time and ranked Points of Authority at #11. Here is an excerpt about the song from that ranking:

Perhaps the most nu-metal track the band ever recorded, this was proof that Linkin Park had the grit to counterbalance their platinum-selling glamour. There’s rabble-rousing quality at every turn, from Joe Hahn’s vinyl-sparking scratchwork to Brad Delson’s rumbling riffage and Shinoda’s all-attitude intro. At the heart of it all, though, is Chester’s cry: ‘You like to think you’re never wrong / You have to act like you’re someone…’ marrying adolescent angst and blockbuster bombast for something truly anthemic.

In 2020, Metal Hammer ranked the top 25 Linkin Park songs of all time and ranked Points of Authority at #16. Here is an excerpt about the song from that ranking:

Points Of Authority was named as the sixth best nu metal song of all time, with Stephen Hill writing “Nu metal’s biggest-selling band proved they had the balls to go with their platinum discs by smashing out this big-riffing banger. Their heaviest tune, without doubt.”

In 2017, Billboard ranked the top 15 Linkin Park songs of all time and ranked Points of Authority at #7. Here is an excerpt about the song from that ranking:

LP at their most weaponized: “Points of Authority”... stands as one of their early signature songs because it scorches at every turn: Shinoda’s carnival-barking intro, Brad Delson’s rumbling-belly fretwork, even Hahn’s blisters-on-mah-fingers scratching. But it’s a Bennington showcase first and foremost: “You like to think you’re never wrong/ You have to act like you’re someone” is about as boilerplate second-person excoriation as you’ll find in nu-metal, but delivered through Bennington’s piercing wail it feels like a near-generational rallying cry.

Lyrics excerpt:

I highly recommend that you listen in a setting where you can crank up the volume!
One of my favorite Linkin Park songs. I love the version from the Reanimation album. Great workout song.

Lyrics excerpt:

One of my favorite Linkin Park songs. I love the version from the Reanimation album. Great workout song.

Actually, forgot about the official video for this - much better.

26. Away from the Numbers
Album: In the City (1977)

otb had expressed surprise that I had never really sat and listened to The Jam properly, nor really any of their releases. I was familiar with the song "In The City," and parts of the album In The City, but I hadn't really sat with it. Once I did, this was the song that really impressed me. It's straight out of The Who's playbook, and I can imagine them aping The Who down to windmilling on the guitar to it.

I love this track.

Round 26

Top 5 Songs "New To Me"

1. We Could Be Looking For The Same Thing - Silver Jews
  2. Still - black midi
  3. American's Abroad - Against Me!
  4. Talk Shows on Mute - Incubus
  5. Oblivion - Mastadon (@KarmaPolice, we did it!!!)
Top 5 Songs "Known To Me"
  1. Starman - David Bowie
  2. Street of Dreams - Rainbow
  3. Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart - Chris Cornell
  4. Straight To You - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
  5. Edge of the World - Faith No More

Other Notes
  • This round's top 5 mostly took me out of my general comfort-zone but that's just how the songs broke. With that said I still liked what I heard from my usual suspects, Neko Case (great cover), The New Pornographers, Frightened Rabbit and obviously Silver Jews.
  • Other new songs that just missed: The Night - Royksopp, Alison Goldfrapp (what a trip) and Away From the Numbers - The Jam
  • I've been very impressed with Queens of the Stone Age, a band I wrote off and never really gave a chance. Reminds me a bit of Black Sabbath with their heavy but still melodic sound.

Round 26

Top 5 Songs "New To Me"

1. We Could Be Looking For The Same Thing - Silver Jews
  2. Still - black midi
  3. American's Abroad - Against Me!
  4. Talk Shows on Mute - Incubus
  5. Oblivion - Mastadon (@KarmaPolice, we did it!!!)
Top 5 Songs "Known To Me"
  1. Starman - David Bowie
  2. Street of Dreams - Rainbow
  3. Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart - Chris Cornell
  4. Straight To You - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
  5. Edge of the World - Faith No More

Other Notes
  • This round's top 5 mostly took me out of my general comfort-zone but that's just how the songs broke. With that said I still liked what I heard from my usual suspects, Neko Case (great cover), The New Pornographers, Frightened Rabbit and obviously Silver Jews.
  • Other new songs that just missed: The Night - Royksopp, Alison Goldfrapp (what a trip) and Away From the Numbers - The Jam
  • I've been very impressed with Queens of the Stone Age, a band I wrote off and never really gave a chance. Reminds me a bit of Black Sabbath with their heavy but still melodic sound.
:bow:

I wasn't sure about Oblivion with the group, but if we include that song, I think we are hitting a run of about 10 songs that I think will largely be tolerated or liked by the group. The end of the Emperor is where the harder songs are, so we will be a little higher concentration from the first 3 albums there. Of the next 10, 9 will be from the newest 3 albums I am covering and 1 b-side. I particularly like the way the next 5 songs flow on the playlist. I'm glad you've liked a couple so far!

Peaceful world-John Mellencamp
from Cuttin' Heads Album

Sung with India Aire, this track is one that speaks to the need for peace and harmony in a world that is plagued by conflict, hate, and division. It was released about a month before the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in America and Mellencamp performed the song at the 2001 "Concert For New York," a benefit for victims of the World Trade Center disaster. The song explores some of the problems America faces in the verses but resolves with a hopeful chorus: "Everything is cool as can be in a peaceful world."

Despite being nominated for best male rock vocal performance ( and having one hell of a hook) Peaceful World didnt gain much commercial success... it didnt even break into Billboards Top 100, but it remains one of my favorites.

I haven't had time to listen to the 26s as closely as I would like, but there were four songs on my knowns list that I just had to call out:

Stay Up Late by Talking Heads - At least outwardly, I tend to be pretty grumpy and there aren't many songs that make me break out in a smile. This has always been one of the few.

Edge of the World by Faith No More - Except for maybe one song, I love everything about this album. Delightfully weird in so many places. This might be the weirdest.

Handle with Care by Traveling Wilburys - In my entry for this in my 1988 countdown, I wrote "To a 16 year-old in late 1988, the members of the Traveling Wilburys seemed positively ancient. They actually were all between 38 and 52 - yikes."

Shut Up and Get on the Plane by DBT - One of my favorite Cooley tracks. Dr. O neglected to quote my favorite lyrics though:

Screaming engines, shooting flames, dirty needles and cheap cocaine
Some gal's old man with a gun, to me it's all the same
Dead is dead and it ain't no different than walking around if you ain't living
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time

Last edited:
Talking Heads reranked

Prior Knowledge - Something all the cool kids in high school listened to.
They won me over with Psycho Killer. I had heard Burning Down the House when it came out, but missed a lot of the early stuff.
It wasnt until people started raving about Stop Making Sense that I tuned in.
Original as they come. A few greatest hits, singles and maybe one album are in my collection. A bit odd for the sake of it sometimes, but nothing against them. They are always interesting, fun and a great listen

31 - Seen and Not Seen
More like an effort in noise making, but sonically interesting and experimentation sometimes work and sometimes doesnt. This is somewhere in the middle

30- Stay Up Late
A fun track. Nice to see it on the list, but im sure we see better soon.

29- Mind
Its fun listening to David Byrnes weirdness sometimes and the band sound like they freeform behind him. Wonder how much structure they have in making these songs

28- Creatures of Love
Memorable but they clearly have better material. Not the worst #30 by a ranker out there for sure

27- Radiohead
Fun track, eccentric as ever. Who woulda thought what would come from this number.

26-Stay Hungry
Now we are getting somewhere. The urgent intro feeds into a tight, intense song. Truly original and brilliant

Thanks @kupcho1 for choosing them. I probably know at least half of the ones remaining and am looking forward to hearing some new tracks and old favorites.

Prior Knowledge - Something all the cool kids in high school listened to.
They won me over with Psycho Killer. I had heard Burning Down the House when it came out, but missed a lot of the early stuff.
It wasnt until people started raving about Stop Making Sense that I tuned in.

Similar story here. In high school, around 1983-84, I heard the hits off Speaking In Tongues (Burning Down the House, Swamp, Naive Melody, and Girlfriend), and I liked them, but I wasn't familiar with anything else. In my senior year in 1986, I got a job in a video store, and we had a video playing in the store at all times. We couldn't play anything R rated, of course.

The manager was a big fan of Stop Making Sense and played it constantly. We only had VHS and Beta rentals then, no DVDs yet, and the VHS release had 19 songs, compared to 16 for the DVD and just 8 for the CD. It was a great exposure to a much bigger cross section of their catalog, and I loved all of it. IMO Stop Making Sense remains one of the best live albums/videos of all time.

Last edited:
I finally listened to the #27 playlist.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Sia - Breathe Me - this is the only Sia song in my catalog, but I love it... if this is #27, wow...
  • Tom Petty - Learning to Fly - great song and indicative of how great Petty's catalog is that there are 26 songs ranked higher!
On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Kid Rock - You Never Met a Mother****er Quite Like Me - I actually liked one or two of his earlier songs a bit better, but highlighting this for the nod to Lynyrd Skynyrd; I have to say, even though this is the first song I have highlighted, the KR playlist has been better than I expected so far
  • Jimmy Buffett, Eli Young Band - Saltwater Gospel
This playlist was weaker than all of the others to this point for my taste. Looking forward to a rebound with the #26 playlist.

25's PLAYLIST
#25 -
PrinceRamsay Hunt ExperienceThe Continental
Tanya DonellyplinkoUntogether
Star, 1993
Talking Headskupcho1The Book I Read
Sia FurlerScoresmanThe Bully
Los LoboseephusCumbia Raza
The Seldom SceneCharlie SteinerWith Body and Soul
Kid RocksnellmanFeel Like Makin' Love
Against Me!scorchyDon't Lose Touch (Live)
MastodonKarmaPolice Precious Stones
Neko CaseMister CIATightly
Faith No MoreJBBreakfastClubLight Up and Let Go
black midiJuxtatarot[skip]
Nina SimoneDon QuixoteYou’d Be So Nice to Come Home To, from Nina at Newport
Beastie BoysYo MamaMullet Head
Drive-By TruckersDr. OctopusFeb. 14
Jimmy Buffet-OZ-Oldest Surfer on the Beach
The JamPip's InvitationAll Around the World
RöyksoppJMLs secret identity25 - The Alcoholic (Instrumental)
Nick Cave and the Bad SeedssalterifficSteve McQueen
CSNYjwbCarry On
Roger ClyneMt. ManDown Together
David BermanThe Dreaded MarcoK-Hole
David BowieBinky the DoormatYoung Americans
Pointer SistersMrs. RannousI'll Be There

IncubusMAC_32A Kiss To Send Us Off
John MellencamptuffnuttYour Life Is Now

Sufjan Stevens Ilov80sCity of Roses
Mike ShinodaJust Win BabyIridescent
Chris Cornell Raging Weasel Nothing Left To Say But Goodbye
Josh HommetitusbrambleFeet Don't Fail Me
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night SweatsAAABatteriesHaving a Party
Kim MitchellSullieThe Crossroads
Thin LizzyzamboniSouthbound
Collective SoulfalguyTremble For My Beloved
Tears for FearsJohn Maddens LunchboxLadybird (Vocals Roland)
Cheap TrickFairWarningOn Top of the World
John Prinelandrys hatDonald and Lydia

Ben FoldsHov34Gone
Tom PettyZegras11A Thing About You
Scott Hutchison snevenelevenRained On
The New PornographersNorthern VoicePontius Pilate's Home Movies
John Lee HookerDrIan MalcolmMr. Lucky

Rainbow Sam Quentin Stranded
Pyotr Ilyich TchaikovskyzazaleThe Nutcracker, Op. 71: Act I Tableau 1: Decoration of the Christmas tree

Users who are viewing this thread