What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (3 Viewers)

The Beatles Tears for Fears
#25 - Ladybird

Appears - Everybody Loves a Happy Ending LP
Year - 2004
UK Highest Chart Position - Non Single
US Highest Chart Position -Non Single
Key Lyric - Your friends have gone
Porcelain portraits and silver medallions
Your friends have gone
Plasticine soldiers that march in battalions
Your friends have gone
Angels of mercy and lifelong companions

Notes

1- This is the third track in short succession from Everybody Loves a Happy Ending. There are numerous dud tracks here, but I think seven could have been included. It surprised me with how good it is, despite wearing its influences a bit too obviously

2- Ladybird" quotes the English nursery rhyme "Ladybird Ladybird" in its chorus. It was the first collaboration between Smith and Orzabal since the split. Smith had presented the chorus to Orzabal, who wrote a verse to it.

Where to find
The Hurting - 1
Songs from the Big Chair - 0
The Seeds of Love - 0
Elemental - 0
Raoul and the Kings of Spain - 0
Everybody Loves a Happy Ending - 3
Ready Boys and Girls - 0
The Tipping Point - 0
Greatest Hits only - 0
B- Sides - Other/Non Album Songs - 3

Year
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 2
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1989 - 0
1993 - 0
1995 - 1
2004 - 3
2014 - 0
2017 - 0
2021 - 0
2022 - 0

Next up the third track in a row from Everybody Loves a Happy Ending and the fourth out of the last five

Röyksopp
25 - The Alcoholic (Instrumental)

Year - 2010
Appears on - Senior
Vocalist - Instrumental
Key Lyric - Instrumental

Notes
1- Senior is a follow up to Junior which the band describes as “Senior is intended to be an introspective, withdrawn, atmospheric counterpart to the "bubbly dance grooves" of Junior (2009), with Röyksopp stating it has a more "autumn mood" to it, in contrast to Junior's "spring feel"

2- This unfortunately will be the only representative from this album. It works great as a moody down mood album, but less so on an individual track basis. This track was chosen ahead of the singles “The Drug” and “Forsaken Cowboy”. The latter being the only hint of vocal on the album in a backing croon

3- Sven Berge cited "The Alcoholic" as a standout track, explaining that they had "this romantic, nostalgic idea based on this hobo who hitchhikes on trains and travels from place to place"

4- On 4 November 2010, Röyksopp partnered with Genero.tv to launch a competition allowing fans to create videos for each one of the tracks from Senior. The winners were announced on 27 January 2011, with a video for "The Alcoholic" being chosen as the overall winner. Its a heartbreaking video of an abusive muppet. I probably chose this track because of the associating video more than anything

Running Vocal Count

Röyksopp - 2
Robyn - 1
Gunhild Ramsay Kovacs - 1
Alison Goldfrapp - 1
Instrumental - 2

Where to find
Melody A.M - 0
The Understanding - 0
Röyksopp’s Night Out - 1
Back to Mine Series - 0
Junior - 0
Senior - 1
Late Night Tales Series - 0
Do It Again EP - 1
The Inevitable End - 0
Profound Mysteries I - 0
Profound Mysteries II - 0
Profound Mysteries III - 2
Other/Non Album Songs - 2

Year
1999 - 0
2001 - 0
2002 - 1
2005 - 0
2006 - 1
2007 - 0
2008 - 0
2009 - 0
2010 - 1
2013 - 0
2014 - 1
2016 - 1
2022 - 2

Next up a rare male vocal, but their most frequent male collaborator.

Talking Heads
#26 Stay Up Late

Here's the second from 1985's Little Creatures. Stay Up Late as described by Pitchfork:
Mid-album romp “Stay Up Late” is a far more jarring display of Byrne’s sudden fascination with toddlers. Driven by Jerry Harrison’s punching keyboard and big stadium drums, it’s the goofiest entry in Talking Heads’ catalog to date. Byrne demolishes any remaining scrap of stoicism: “Cute. Cute. Little baby/Little pee pee. Little toes,” he babbles. The song was a hit, parking on the charts for a full 10 weeks thanks to its fun, bouncing form: simple, rubbery bass, a lyrical nod to the Temptations, and a sing-along chorus. Perhaps Byrne’s paternal affections made him a more approachable frontman than the paranoid beanpole of yore. Still, no amount of artistic brilliance can justify the lyrics “little pee pee.” :ROFLMAO:

And he looks so cute (all night long)
In his little red suit (all night long)

Oh, and the video is a pretty good example of mid-80s low budget. It looks like it cost around a buck eighty-five. They seem to be having fun, though.

I used this song in my son's bar mitzvah montage. Works perfectly.

25. Nina Simone, You’d Be So Nice To Come Home To (from Nina at Newport, 1960)
YouTube Spotify

Nina Simone said of Bach: “When you play Bach’s music, you have to understand that he’s a mathematician and all the notes you play add up to something – they make sense. They always add up to climaxes, like ocean waves getting bigger and bigger until after a while so many waves have gathered you have a great storm. Each note you play is connected to the next note, and every note has to be executed perfectly or the whole effect is lost.”

This song is Nina Simone applying those principles to a popular song. This is a jazz tune written by Cole Porter, first popularized by the likes of Dinah Shore and Frank Sinatra. In traditional hands, it is a fine (but honestly kind of forgettable) tune. In the hands of Nina Simone, it’s a Bach fugue.

It just starts with Nina Simone on the piano with a pretty slow pace and some drums — if you tap out at 1 or 2 minutes in, you will miss it. It is an introspective song that then explodes. Instruments get layered in and the piano goes into overdrive. Nina Simone does not sing the first lyrics until around 3 minutes in. It’s all a build-up to the storm at the end.

The arrangement of this tune just blew me away when I first heard it. I’m probably over-selling this one, but it is at least not just me that had this song leave this kind of impression on them. Actor-playwright Sam Shepard used to work as a busboy at The Village Gate in Greenwich Village, where Nina Simone frequently performed. His memoir, The Motel Chronicles, included this:

The one song she sang that really killed me was, "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To." It always froze me in my tracks. I'd be out on the floor collecting Whiskey Sour glasses and she'd start that rumbling landslide piano with her ghostly voice snaking through the accumulating chords. My eyes would go up to the bandstand and stay there while my hands kept on working.

I knocked over a candle once while she was singing that song. The hot wax spilled all over a businessman's suit. I was called into the manager's office. The businessman was standing there with this long splash of hardened wax down his paints. It looked like he'd come all over himself. I was fired that night.

On the street outside I could still hear her voice coming right through the concrete walls: "You'd be Paradise to come home to".

Last edited:

• Song: Feb. 14
  • Album: A Blessing and a Curse
  • Released: 2006
  • Lead Vocals: Patterson Hood

The Blessing and a Curse album opens with a pounding kick drum and crunching guitars on the alternative rock-sounding “Feb 14.” This song departs from their country-based roots, as the only southern thing about the Valentine’s Day-themed song is Hood’s gritty vocals. Otherwise, the track wouldn’t feel out of the place on popular rock radio as a song for a broken relationship. Hood sings about an obvious failed relationship, until he launches into the simply stated chorus: “Be my valentine.”

Flowers flying cross the room
Vases smashed against the floor
Said "I'd rather be alone
Take your chocolates and go home"

Be my valentine
Be my valentine
Be my valentine

25. Body and Soul

Have to first start with a terrible admission: I incorrectly presumed that it wasn't until the '2nd generation' of bluegrass acts that adapted contemporary songs into their repertoire. Bill Monroe brought this song into the bluegrass world less than 10 years from the time it was written in 1930 as part of a Broadway revue named Three's a Crowd. It has also been covered by various artists that include Coleman Hawkins, Billie Holliday, Frank Sinatra and as a duet by Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse. Credit where credit is due.

This is the third of four songs from Act 1.

I was never much into their ballads, but I remember hearing them play this live, and now that my mother's gone, I can't help but think of my father when I hear it. I can hear him singing it now and hearing how true every word is to him.

Time for the first spotlight: Guitarist John Starling (not pictured in my avatar).

Doctor Starling was a surgeon in the US Army during the Vietnam War and during his residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in DC, he met future bandmates Ben Eldridge and Mike Auldrich. The three of them began playing together weekly in basement jam sessions, which eventually led them to meeting Duffey and bassist Tom Gray and forming the 'Scene in 1971.

Starling left the band in 1977 to continue in his medical career. Despite stepping back, he did stay around the music biz long enough to release a solo album with the help of not only his former bandmates, but also Emmylou Harris and Little Feat guitarist Lowell George. He also won a Grammy for Best Bluegrass Album in 1992. He returned to the 'Scene in limited appearances in the mid 90's. When he retired from praticing medicine in '06, he returned to music, albeit with another band, partially comprised of other former 'Scene members and his son. His last public performance was in 2017, and he passed away in 2019, aged 79.

While Starling's voice was not a commanding 'frontman' type of voice, it did have a sense of earnestness to it, giving not only a bit of gravitas but also worked an anchor for Duffey's amazing tenor runs.

Finally, other notable musical appearances by Dr. Starling included:

-backing vocalist on Linda Rondstadt's Heart Like a Wheel album
-backing vocals and acoustic guitar on Emmylou Harris' Elite Hotel album
-backing vocals and acoustic guitar on the Emmylou Harris/Linda Rondstadt/Dolly Parton Trio album, as well as their lesser-known Trio II album
-backing vocalist on Linda Rondstadt's Feels Like Home album

For those curious as to how big-timers like Emmylou Harris and Linda Rondstadt came to trust a part-time guitarist from a part-time bluegrass band to provide usable tracks on their albums, both ladies performed at The Birchmere, where the 'Scene were local heroes. Though I have no documented or passed-down stories of their paths crossing, it's pretty safe to say that at least one had watched the other(s) perform there and professional friendships were no doubt born there.

BONUS TRACK #6: An example of Dr. Starling's rhythm guitar work with the aforementioned Trio: Those Memories of You.

25. Body and Soul

Have to first start with a terrible admission: I incorrectly presumed that it wasn't until the '2nd generation' of bluegrass acts that adapted contemporary songs into their repertoire. Bill Monroe brought this song into the bluegrass world less than 10 years from the time it was written in 1930 as part of a Broadway revue named Three's a Crowd. It has also been covered by various artists that include Coleman Hawkins, Billie Holliday, Frank Sinatra and as a duet by Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse. Credit where credit is due.

I was never much into their ballads, but I remember hearing them play this live, and now that my mother's gone, I can't help but think of my father when I hear it. I can hear him singing it now and hearing how true every word is to him.

Time for the first spotlight: Guitarist John Starling.

Doctor Starling was a surgeon in the US Army during the Vietnam War and during his residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in DC, he met future bandmates Ben Eldridge and Mike Auldrich. The three of them began playing together weekly in basement jam sessions, which eventually led them to meeting Duffey and bassist Tom Gray and forming the 'Scene in 1971.

Starling left the band in 1977 to continue in his medical career. Despite stepping back, he did stay around the music biz long enough to release a solo album with the help of not only his former bandmates, but also Emmylou Harris and Little Feat guitarist Lowell George. He also won a Grammy for Best Bluegrass Album in 1992. He returned to the 'Scene in limited appearances in the mid 90's. When he retired from praticing medicine in '06, he returned to music, albeit with another band, partially comprised of other former 'Scene members and his son. His last public performance was in 2017, and he passed away in 2019, aged 79.

While Starling's voice was not a commanding 'frontman' type of voice, it did have a sense of earnestness to it, giving not only a bit of gravitas but also worked an anchor for Duffey's amazing tenor runs.

-backing vocals and acoustic guitar on the Emmylou Harris/Linda Rondstadt/Dolly Parton Trio album, as well as their lesser-known Trio II album

For those curious as to how big-timers like Emmylou Harris and Linda Rondstadt came to trust a part-time guitarist from a part-time bluegrass band to provide usable tracks on their albums, both ladies performed at The Birchmere, where the 'Scene were local heroes. Though I have no documented or passed-down stories of their paths crossing, it's pretty safe to say that at least one had watched the other(s) perform there and professional friendships were no doubt born there.

BONUS TRACK #6: An example of Dr. Starling's rhythm guitar work with the aforementioned Trio: Those Memories of You.
Your writeups are top notch.
TOP NOTCH I SAY!

25. Body and Soul

TOP NOTCH I SAY!
They're definitely coming from the heart. This band has been a bonding experience for me and my dad for 50 years now. I even picked his brain while working on my write-ups. For example, I knew nothing about Buzz Busby, mentioned in one of my earlier write-ups, but he did. And that's why for as much as I'd love to win some folks over to the 'Scene, the act of delving into them like I never have before has been satisfying enough.

25. Body and Soul

TOP NOTCH I SAY!
They're definitely coming from the heart. This band has been a bonding experience for me and my dad for 50 years now. I even picked his brain while working on my write-ups. For example, I knew nothing about Buzz Busby, mentioned in one of my earlier write-ups, but he did. And that's why for as much as I'd love to win some folks over to the 'Scene, the act of delving into them like I never have before has been satisfying enough.
Oh I'm enjoying them big time and they're an artist I probably NEVER would have been exposed to outside of this exercise
Great work

#25 Down Together (off Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy, 1996)

(Music Video) The Refreshments - Down Together
(LIve version - reunion with 3/4ths of the original band) The Refreshments performing "Down Together"

I could give you a star, you could give me one too
And that way we'd be even
And I could sing a song way out of tune
And not care a bit about it

For the record, “there is nothing new under the sun” stretches back to The Bible, if not before. So yes, the person who said it is definitely dead. This song also references Dead Hot Workshop, who of course I mentioned in the preview and may touch on again. This has been your “special mention” category that I’ll probably keep forgetting about.

Why I Chose It:
If you have to ask… But really, this is arguably the second biggest hit, reaching #38 on the U.S. Modern Rock chart back when it was called that. So there’s some chance that you knew this one (and one a bit further down the road) coming into this thing.

As far as the message goes, this is about camaraderie. About enjoying life and not being afraid to look silly while doing it. It was written while Clyne was camping with his girlfriend. Clyne’s never commented on whether another meaning of “going down together” fits here too. Though he ended up marrying his girlfriend (and they're still married), so it’s not out of the question.

Apparently there was a reviewer who thought the song might be about heroin addiction, which Clyne’s denied. I’ll add that no, that was the previous countdown.

PRECIOUS STONES

This was a slam dunk to be on my playlist. One of my favorite tracks on the album, mostly because of Brann's intro and drumming on this one. It's one of the few recent ones that start off with him going to town like on The Wolf Is Loose. I posted an earlier one with the previews, but I will recommend to anybody interested watch the video of Brann drumming the track to this track. HERE it is again if you missed it in the post. If I had to guess, I think this is probably my most watched youtube video, and it's what kicked off my obsession with drumming tracks like this. He has 4-5 nice ones from this set, and also several isolated drum tracks from shows that are from Meinl as well. Otherwise, just a straight forward kick *** rocker that I like put in a similar bucket as Show Yourself, but I like this one a tad more because of the drumming. I think I've also taken this one in a draft previously as well.

ETA: Maybe I should do this since I am hyping one album, and remind everybody if we stay on schedule, the Monday releases will be the playlists with the songs from Emperor of Sand on them. So far we have:

Sultan's Curse
Show Yourself
Precious Stones

Next Monday might just be my favorite track on the album and another top tier video to go along with it .

Ah, @landrys hat. This was the song -- "Donald and Lydia" -- that left me with quite the impression of John Prine the other night. I was going to talk about it, but thought it might be coming. Sure enough . . . here we go. Glad I refrained. "Donald and Lydia" sees Prine take two otherwise forgettable people and make them instantly memorable with just a subtle twist and unexpected lyrical turn.

Quite the poem, actually.

#25 -- Prince -- The Continental (from "The Love Symbol Album") --

I kind of surprised myself with this pick. When I started my re-listen of The Love Symbol Album, I expected to pick Sexy M.F. and 7. I think 7 got omitted from my eventual final list by mistake, but I consciously ended up replacing Sexy M.F. with The Continental, which just felt more fun to me in 2023. A paean to phone sex featuring some rather lackluster phone sex banter between Prince and Carmen Electra of all people, the song nevertheless brims with danceable funk, big horns, and an irresistible chorus as His Purple Badness exhorts Carmen to "tell me how you wanna be done."

Beastie Boys #25 - Mullet Head
Album - Ill Communication (1994)

Peacockin'
Ad-Rock: 0, MCA: 0, Mike D: 0, Beastie Boys: 0, Greater NYC: 0

Name Rockin'
Van Damme, Kenny G, Billy Ray, Joey Buttafuoco, Amy Fisher

Rhyme Squawkin'
A number one on the side and don't touch the back
And number six on the top and don't cut it whack, Jack

Yo Mama Talkin'
So far we’ve had a party rock anthem, hip-hop, punk, a rap/rock hybrid, a sampling extravaganza, a collaboration, and now a BONUS TRACK!

I was mad when I first heard this bonus track that after playing my I’ll Communication CD a billion times, this wasn’t included. Love this!

25. All Around the World
Album: Non-album single (1977)
Lead vocals: Paul Weller and Bruce Foxton
Released as a single? Yes (UK #13)

All Around the World is a non-album single released in between The Jam's two 1977 albums, In the City and This Is the Modern World. It's significant because its showing on the charts -- reaching #13, the highest a Jam single would get until 1979 -- solidified that In the City had indeed given the band a following and set them up to go places. (It also hastened Polydor's timetable for a follow-up album.) While just as slamming as the In the City material, it's more melodic than most of it, an early indication that Paul Weller was a gifted songwriter in his own right and not just a master appropriator of Townshend-isms. The call-and-response vocals between Weller and Bruce Foxton and the "rah rah youth" message are instantly memorable, and the lyrics were anthemic enough to provide the title of the band's box set, Direction Reaction Creation. Though I think the key phrase is

You can't dismiss what is gone before
But there's foundations for us to explore

Because it perfectly captures the band's mission musically and philosophically.

Fire and Skill 1977 disc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbki488Qo7w
Fire and Skill 1978 disc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWeWXE7OU8k
Peel Session 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qcKg5aOXFU
BBC In Concert 1978: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjxQpCdvj9w

At #24, a song that's either full of self-hatred or an allegory about Margaret Thatcher, take your pick.

27. The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had to Swallow)
Album: Non-album single (1982)
Released as a single? Yes (UK #2)

The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had to Swallow) was The Jam's second-to-last single, released shortly before Paul Weller announced he was breaking up the band. It was also one of the band's four videos I remember from the early years of MTV. A soul ballad with prominent strings and female harmonies, the song is basically a template for the sound Weller would pursue with The Style Council. Though its melody and arrangement is more successful than a lot of what that band would produce. The band's previous incorporations of soul tended to be influenced by Motown, but this one is more derived from Philly International. The tune is a breakup song, and one has to wonder how much Weller is singing about a lover and how much he is singing about the band. (It's telling that in the video, the girl leaves Weller for drummer Rick Buckler.)

For the bitterest pill is mine to swallow
The love I gave hangs in sad coloured, mocking shadows

Music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc9VWNl3BSI
There are no documented live performances.

At #26, the "I Can See for Miles" of the band's early Who fixation.
The Guardian ranked their 30 greatest Paul Weller songs and listed The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had to Swallow) at #5. They said:

“I will never be embarrassed about love again,” sang Weller on 1980’s Monday, and he meant it. The opposite of English Rose’s muted, don’t-mind-me appearance, The Bitterest Pill’s saga of romantic woe opens with a pealing, wedding bell-like riff, and brings in dramatic strings, falsetto vocals and an epic chorus. What a fantastic single.

Talking Heads
#25 The Book I Read

Finally! A song from 77, the first Talking Heads album. What's borderline amazing to me is that this album is almost 50 years old, and yet still feels fresh (at least to me).
It also - and this is really odd given the "scene" Talking Heads emerged from - sounds polished. Turns out, they really took there time before even recording and releasing a record.

A brief history lesson:
Contrary to the way they sounded, Talking Heads were not in a hurry. David Byrne, Tina Weymouth, and Chris Frantz had no particular plan to play music together when they moved to New York City after the dissolution of Frantz and Byrne’s band back in Providence, where all three had attended the Rhode Island School of Design. That lasted until Frantz and Weymouth saw the Ramones at CBGB shortly after they arrived—the kind of downtown show a couple of broke art-school graduates might wander into in late 1974. Still buzzing, Frantz, the drummer, convinced Byrne, the singer-guitarist, to give it another go. But they didn’t have a bassist in New York, and they couldn’t find one they liked.

Rather than settle and start playing shows quickly, they decided that Weymouth could do it—never mind that she’d never touched a bass before. She bought one on layaway and set about learning, listening to records by pioneering hard rocker Suzi Quatro and receiving occasional words of encouragement from free jazz legend Don Cherry, who happened to live in the same building, down the street from CBGB, where the newly minted trio rented a loft for $250 a month. Talking Heads practiced for six months before they were ready for their first gig: at CB’s, in June 1975, opening for the Ramones. Another two years passed before they recorded and released their debut album. They had a big future ahead of them. Why rush?

I've read a lot online trying to see if there's some deeper meaning to the song. There are posts that it is actually about a girl (although Byrne's on record saying he's only ever written one love song, and this isn't it) or "finding one’s true identity through literature and introspection" but I think that's nonsense. I think he read a book and sometime later, met the author.

I'm writing 'bout the book I read
I have to sing about the book I read
I'm embarrassed to admit it hit the soft spot in my heart
When I found out you wrote the book I read

Sia - Chronological #25 - The Bully

Scoresman rank: 22

Another downtempo tune which I really grew to like during this process. This one sounds like it could've been on another Zero 7 collab record. This is one of a handful of songs Sia wrote with Beck in the early 2000s.

Quick ranking update.

23 Sunday
22 The Bully
16 Distractions
15 Speed Dial 2
11 Somersault
3 Destiny
2 Breathe Me

I realize I am several playlists behind, but I added so many hearts in the 28's I want to give some shout outs.

Nina Simone's Nobody's Fault But Mine cover was out frickin standing
Silver Jews I Remember Me :wub:
I struggle with Nick Cave's vocals, but not on Tupelo
Mastodon's Show Yourself - so much better than the first 3 offerings
Against Me's Strip Mall Parking Lots tickled my punk rock bone

Also dolled out hearts to Prince, The Peacemakers, and and Sufjan Stevens. Not bad for only coming into this thing with Incubus and Mellencamp in my library!

Talking Heads
#25 The Book I Read

Finally! A song from 77, the first Talking Heads album. What's borderline amazing to me is that this album is almost 50 years old, and yet still feels fresh (at least to me).
It also - and this is really odd given the "scene" Talking Heads emerged from - sounds polished. Turns out, they really took there time before even recording and releasing a record.

A brief history lesson:
Contrary to the way they sounded, Talking Heads were not in a hurry. David Byrne, Tina Weymouth, and Chris Frantz had no particular plan to play music together when they moved to New York City after the dissolution of Frantz and Byrne’s band back in Providence, where all three had attended the Rhode Island School of Design. That lasted until Frantz and Weymouth saw the Ramones at CBGB shortly after they arrived—the kind of downtown show a couple of broke art-school graduates might wander into in late 1974. Still buzzing, Frantz, the drummer, convinced Byrne, the singer-guitarist, to give it another go. But they didn’t have a bassist in New York, and they couldn’t find one they liked.

Rather than settle and start playing shows quickly, they decided that Weymouth could do it—never mind that she’d never touched a bass before. She bought one on layaway and set about learning, listening to records by pioneering hard rocker Suzi Quatro and receiving occasional words of encouragement from free jazz legend Don Cherry, who happened to live in the same building, down the street from CBGB, where the newly minted trio rented a loft for $250 a month. Talking Heads practiced for six months before they were ready for their first gig: at CB’s, in June 1975, opening for the Ramones. Another two years passed before they recorded and released their debut album. They had a big future ahead of them. Why rush?

I've read a lot online trying to see if there's some deeper meaning to the song. There are posts that it is actually about a girl (although Byrne's on record saying he's only ever written one love song, and this isn't it) or "finding one’s true identity through literature and introspection" but I think that's nonsense. I think he read a book and sometime later, met the author.

I'm writing 'bout the book I read
I have to sing about the book I read
I'm embarrassed to admit it hit the soft spot in my heart
When I found out you wrote the book I read
I still remember their first appearance on SNL in '79. They did their cover of Take Me to the River (loved it) and Artists Only (never heard it before, didn't understand it but it was a foreshadowing of what we'd get from David Byrne over the years). I could only dig them from afar; I think I needed to grow into them, which I have, thankfully.

Good write-up. 5 stars.

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night SweatsAAABatteriesHaving a Party

Rateliff doing a cover of one of my favorite artists ever in Sam Cooke. "Having a Party" was released on May 8, 1962, by RCA Victor and was the A-side to "Bring It On Home to Me". Top 5 single ever for me - can you imagine having a song as good as "Bring It On Home to Me" and it's your B-side! I actually prefer it to "Having a Party" but both are excellent.

Rateliffe's version is part of his Live at Red Rocks album and he does a decent job with the song but the Night Sweats are the highlight for me. As mentioned, Rateliff and the gang are one of the few bands I would pay to see live - their energy and the songs just seem like they would be awesome to see in person. This is the 2nd of 3 covers I have on my list. My top cover is easily the least familiar to most and we still won't see it for a little while - I love it that much.

I didn't do a last 5 out or give any teaser songs as I wanted to drop a few as I went along. Here's a cover I considered but didn't make my cut. But based on the love for Cohen around here may be one many of you may enjoy.

Famous Blue Raincoat

The #27s wasn't my favorite playlist but I did manage to add a few new-to-me's to my :heart: list
The first Seldom Scene tune, Will There Be Any Stars In My Crown was enjoyable. I feel I'm going to like this group. (y)
The Jimmy Buffet tune with the Eli Young Band, Saltwater Gospel was fun. I'm wondering if another similar collaboration with a different artist will be coming at some point 🤞
Me & Youphoria (Roykstopp) was a good tune
Silver Jews, Dallas

Also love Learning To Fly.

I feel like I love Sinead's version of Nothing Compares 2 U so much that no other version compares 2 it. 🤔 Even the version from the writer of the song.

Hopefully the 26s provide more songs that I can add to my favorites.

#27.

Known-to-me favorites:

Nothing Compares 2 U x2
Stay Hungry
Breathe Me -- yes, I watched Six Feet Under
Gratitude -- yes, I saw the video on Beavis and Butthead
Helpless -- I ranked it #5 in my Neil countdown, the highest-ranking acoustic song. My writeup: https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...e-covers-and-other-stuff.786493/post-22916451
Queen B!tch
If You Want My Love -- I never thought about it at the time, but this track really sounds like Cheap Trick doing ELO. Both in the arrangement and in Robin Zander's vocal (he sounds like he's channeling Jeff Lynne on the verses).
Learning to Fly
Use It

New-to-me favorites:

The River -- hypnotizing
You Never Met a Motherf---er Quite Like Me -- I'm not into Kid Rock's persona but the groove on this one is sticky. The ending is funny.
The Energizer -- favorite from them so far
Andy
Do What You Gotta Do
The KKK Took My Baby Away -- I would never have expected DBT to sound so faithfully like the Ramones, but here we are.
Dallas
Glass
Casimir Pulaski Day
Do It Again
Shoe Boot
Sweetheart
Cologne
Old Team
Can't Let You Go -- I never thought about it before, but this track makes it apparent how Joe Lynn Turner modeled his vocals after Paul Rodgers at times.

Finishing 26s

Known to me favorites
Stay up late
Edge of the world - had forgotten this gem but it was probably my favorite from that album
Handle with care
Shut up and get on the plane
Nearly forgot my broken heart

New
Don’t play no game that I can’t win - how the flip have I missed this?
Maybe we should fall in ❤️
Still trying
Angel
Evangeline

This was a mixed bag imo. Some I really like, others less so. But that’s the beauty of this thing.

Selected favorites from the #25s. This one I’m doing in playlist order, so no Shuffle Adventures this time around. I ‘revived’ another category instead!

Familiar songs:
Feel Like Making Love - Kid Rock. Almost got too wild, but this cover is mostly on point. Mostly.
Carry on - CSNY
Having A Party - Nathaniel Rateliff
Tremble For My Beloved - A sentimental favorite; would probably be too high on my list.
Decoration of the Christmas Tree - Tchaikovsky. You’re just lucky you caught me before Christmas music starts playing at my workplace.

New discoveries:
The Bully - Sia
Precious Stones - Mastodon. A(nother) possibly familiar song that I’ll put here just to be sure.
You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To - Nina Simone (and the piano player ;)!)
All Over the World - The Jam
City of Roses - Sufjan Stevens
Pontius Pilate’s Home Movies - The New Pornographers

Dig The Vibe
Cumbia Raza - Los Lobos
The Alcoholic - Royksopp

Last edited:
In my efforts to not fall even further behind, the 27's:

I greatly appreciate how few hearts I see with every play list I open. This time it was just my own and I only recognized four songs by name, one of which was a cover done twice. I say greatly appreciate because there have been very few skips, which is why I'm so far behind this time. I've been going through each list twice. But anyway...

Familiar songs that I didn't recognize by name that now have a heart
QotSA - Do It Again, not sure why I didn't have this before
Against Me - The Energizer, finally a sound by these guys I already knew
The Band/Neil Young - Helpless, the latter's lack of internet streaming presence leaves me woefully under informed - I should read more of Pip's threads

It took 2 listens to get a heart
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - Shoe Boot, I assume I was distracted during listen #1 cause that was a no doubter less than a minute in
New Pornographers - Use It, I had to have been distracted the first time through as this one sucked me in from the beginning

Standouts
Sia - Breathe Me, the first few contributions didn't do much for me but that was a head turner
Nick Cave - There Is A Kingdom, two Nick Cave hearts in a row? Unexpected, but deserving.
Drive-By Truckers - The KKK Took My Baby Away, the first few contributions didn't do anything for me but this banger takes gold medal for the 27's

Last edited:
the 26s weren't particularly great for me. I added a few New to me's as favorites but a couple are borderline and may be removed after a second listen.

Evangeline - Los Lobos. This one is pretty safe. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Shut Up and Get On The Plane - DBT - This one should also be safe. I've liked at least half of the DBT songs posted so far.
We Could Be looking for the Same Thing - Silver Jews.
Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart - Chris Cornell
Lump Street

Known
Starman - Bowie
I Am A Wild Party - Kim Mitchell (Was a pretty big party tune back in the day up here in the Great White North if I recall)
Handle With Care - I like the Wilburys!

Almost caught up!

Your Life is Now- John Mellencamp
from Self Titled Album

From that opening guitar slide this one hits... "Your Life Is Now" is a song that inspires with its message about living in the moment and not taking life for granted. It serves as a reminder that life is fleeting, and the future is uncertain, so it's crucial to live in the present. The older I've gotten the more I understand this song.

Best of the 29s

Man Im so far behind... Just getting over a week long bout of Covid... So I'll try to get through some playlist today.

Top Familar to me:

Lets Dance- Bowie Reminds me of the good ol MTV days ( Can you believe this song is 40 years old??)
Make Yourself- Incubus :headbang:
Chicago- Sufjan Stevens- so good
Underground- Ben Folds- Man used to listen to this a lot back in the day

Top New to me:

Somersault- Sia- I dont know what it is... but Im just digging her vibe, been the most pleasant surprise to me so far
Johnny Cash- Kid Rock- I'll be honest I wrote Kid Rock off pretty early in Career and never looked back, but this is a GREAT song
Bmbmbm- Black midi- This was AWESOME
Plastic Flowers on the Highway- Drive by Truckers- I have a feeling Im going to be liking ALOT of their stuff
Floating in the Forth- Frightened Rabbits- another band Im looking forward to hearing more of

Fun Round.... On to the 28s

Against Me! #25 - Don't Lose Touch

Album: Searching for a Former Clarity
Year: 2005

The second and final entry from my least favorite Against Me! album. A lot of Searching for a Former Clarity (The Energizer excepted) sounds like a band that isn't sure what it wants to be. There's way too much meta going on, whether it's songs like Don't Lose Touch that seem to debate whether the band is still punk, or others, such as Mediocrity Gets You Pears* and Unprotected Sex With Multiple Partners that rant about the process of being courted by the major labels. Even when I didn't think the material was that great though, Against Me!'s song titles always delivered.

* The majors that loved Against Me! wined and dined them, scored them drugs, flew them around the country, etc. One that didn't sent the band a fruit basket. Hence the title.

Last edited:
The 25 - Known Knowns

Gold: Mullet Head by The Beastie Boys
Silver: Feet Don't Fail Me by QotSA
Bronze: Gone by Ben Folds

Known Unknowns (expanded for the reverse scenario where I know the song but not really the performer)

Gold: Donald and Lydia by John Prine
Silver: Your LIfe Is by John Cougar Mellencamp
Bronze: Down Together by The Refreshments

Unknown Unknowns

Gold: Iridescent by Linkin Park
Silver: Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye by Audioslave
Bronze: Precious Stones by Mastodon

Your Life is Now- John Mellencamp
from Self Titled Album

From that opening guitar slide this one hits... "Your Life Is Now" is a song that inspires with its message about living in the moment and not taking life for granted. It serves as a reminder that life is fleeting, and the future is uncertain, so it's crucial to live in the present. The older I've gotten the more I understand this song.
One of my favorites. He had just released this before I started dating my wife. His CD was one of just a few we would play while enjoying each others company for hours.
Good times.

Carry On

Nash tells Stills they don't have a proper opening track for the Deja Vu album... Stills pieces together two other songs (one called "Questions" from the Springfield days), and combines them with a jam session they had the previous week. Turned out to be a great tune. I'll probably say this a few more times, but Stills is one of the most underrated guys in rock and roll.

We get a diversion from QOTSA on the #24 playlist... still owing writeups I know but will try to throw something together when I'm back from the boozer

Carry On

Nash tells Stills they don't have a proper opening track for the Deja Vu album... Stills pieces together two other songs (one called "Questions" from the Springfield days), and combines them with a jam session they had the previous week. Turned out to be a great tune. I'll probably say this a few more times, but Stills is one of the most underrated guys in rock and roll.
Stills was astonishingly prolific from the mid-60s to the mid-70s. But his booze and drug issues were almost as bad as Crosby's -- they just didn't get as much attention. They got worse after John Lennon's assassination, which sent him into a spiral. And unlike with Crosby, they caused him to lose his voice -- by 1990 his vocals were painful to listen to and never got better. The music press constantly comparing him unfavorably to Neil starting in the mid-70s probably didn't help his state of mind.

Reactions: jwb
Sorry I haven’t been giving my (incredibly insightful) reactions to the playlists lately - work/life have been a bit crazy. I have been listening to the playlists so far though and have enjoyed the escape it’s given me. Hopefully my Beastie Boys selections haven’t annoyed everyone too much (especially following the heavenly Nina Simone on the playlist). Some general reactions, but know that I’ve been really liking selections from most artists so far.

Known artists I really like that I’ve known most or all of the songs so far and love the choices - Bowie, Incubus, Linkin Park (all three giving me some great memories/feelings)

Known artists I like that I haven’t been familiar with the choices so far but have been fun hearing new to me offerings from - Prince, Talking Heads, Los Lobos, CSNY, Pointer Sisters, Cornell, QOTSA, Tears for Fears

Known artists I didn’t think I liked but have enjoyed their selections so far - Mellencamp, Collective Soul, Thin Lizzy, Ben Folds

New to me artists I’ve really liked so far - Sia ♥️, Nina Simone, Royksopp, Sufjan, Frightened Rabbit, New Pornographers

:headbang:

That is surprising and super cool that Nina could be new to someone of our, ummm experience, but I am just glad she's getting more listeners because she is a legend.
Yeah, for whatever reason I’ve never really listened to her work. I’ll probably recognize a few of her more well known songs but so far it’s all been new to me.

That is surprising and super cool that Nina could be new to someone of our, ummm experience, but I am just glad she's getting more listeners because she is a legend.
Yeah, for whatever reason I’ve never really listened to her work. I’ll probably recognize a few of her more well known songs but so far it’s all been new to me.
Glad finding some new stuff as well. I expect once get into the top half, it will be more recognizable. My favorite part of pulling this together was probably settling on my 16-31.

Homme 29-25:

#29 - Went to Queens' first studio album, don't think it's unfair to say that this isn't their strongest work, and it's not a huge favourite album of mine either, but it had its moments and this was one of a couple I picked off of this album, I just love the entirety of the guitar/bass work on the track. Lyrically it's not up to much, but this got in on the strength of the music
#28 - This track's off the album that they were touring when I saw them live in 2013, although I have no recollection of the specific track from the gig. ...Like Clockwork is very much an atypical of Queens, much like the first track of the playlist which I think was the only other song I picked off the album. Perfectly highlights the range of Homme's vocal abiliities, this is another minimalist track with not a huge amount added from everyone else, but another instance where it's very much the case where less is more
#27, #26 - Going to bundle both these into one. Songs for the Deaf is pretty much the magnum opus of Homme and QOTSA, producing their most notable hits, while at the same time being a quasi-concept album with the CD containing many interludes between tracks as if one is on a drive through the California desert. Both these two tracks are album tracks separated by one song - Do It Again is primarily led by one riff driving throughout the track, which is a solid one, but there's subtle but great differential in the chorus as well as the kick into the end of the track. Another Love Song is somewhat different in that there are guitars playing out the main tune, but for a lot of time they just stfu and let Homme/Grohl do their work, kicking in to offer more of a background track rather than riff-repeat. A great track that is able to go through many different progressions despite being a sub-3 minute track
#25 - Cutting to the most recent of this segment, which I believe without checking is the only track off of Villains. Was loving the hugely long build in before the track kicks in proper, there's enough hints of "classic Queens" in what we get after that to make me like the record, then we go into a fair bit of an unorthodox second half of the track, which is somewhat bonkers but checks enough boxes for me to give it the thumbs up

Users who are viewing this thread