What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

Rd 31 reviews

Some New to me that I really Liked:

Sia Furler- Destiny ... Really enjoyed this one.
Drive by Truckers- Never gonna change... This one is in my wheel... house cant wait to hear more!
Silver Jews- Suffering Jukebox... very cool sound
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats- Intro... New to me song, but I have heard some of them before and have been meaning to check out more.
Thin Lizzy- Little Darling... Know the band, but new to me song... That guitar solo is amazing!
Familiar to me:

David Bowie- Fame... might be my favorite Bowie songs... at least till the next one I hear, and that one will be my favorite. Impossible to pick LOL
CYN- Judy blue eyes... my 2nd favorite CSN song
John Prine- Summers end- soooo damn good
Ben Folds Five-Emaline... Went through big BFF phase in college. Looking forward to this list alot!

Overall great way to start!

Last edited:
MARCH OF THE FIRE ANTS

In between the first 4 songs on the main album, I will be playing 1 song from each album in release order. This is off their debut Remission. It's my least favorite album, and this is the only entry so if I lose any of you that were OK with the first song, keep that in mind. My entry point was their 2nd album, which I also consider a perfect album, so if I want heavy Mastodon I usually stick with albums 2 and 3. You can tell their love for the heavier bands and sludgy stuff as well. At the start of their career, IMO they were more about echoing their loves and less about growing into their own ideas and sound. If you hate the vocals and are getting squirrely, FF to 2:30, as the last 2mins are just them jamming. Of course the drumming here is mostly what brings me back to this song in particular.

As far as the album goes, supposedly there is a running theme of "fire" here, but with songs like Mother Puncher, Elephant Man, and Ol'e Nessie, I fail to see the connection. Very heavy album, so if you do like this tune it's worth a listen. If you hate it, just keep in mind that ,10% of the playlist is from the first 2 albums.

Talking Heads
#30 Creatures of Love

The first of 4 songs from 1985's Little Creatures, which was, for me at least, the last great Talking Heads album. It's also their most "approachable" album and I think it shows in the first of the songs from the album in the countdown.
From Pitchfork:
Little Creatures is a triumphant pop document that celebrates life’s simple joys, the exact thing Talking Heads once weaponized. By this point, the band had already run the gamut of creative endeavors. In addition to their hugely influential discography, they’d worked extensively with Brian Eno, recorded an expansive live album (1982’s The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads), and collaborated with director Jonathan Demme on the groundbreaking and now-classic concert film Stop Making Sense. Critics keenly traced the arc of their success from Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) art obsessives to downtown punk affiliates to a 10-piece band of Afrobeat enthusiasts. Talking Heads’ love of funk and Afrobeat is alive and well on this album, evident in Weymouth’s walloping basslines and a smattering of hand drums

In a 1985 review, Rolling Stone insisted that Little Creatures was “the sound of David Byrne falling in love with normalcy.” Normalcy existed throughout Talking Heads’ catalog (what could be more normal than “buildings” and “food”?), but Little Creatures is their first album to examine one of normalcy’s most complicated and significant corners: Procreative sex and parental love.

A woman made a man
A man he made a house
And when they lay together
Little creatures all come out

Well, I've seen sex and I think it's alright
It makes those little creatures come to life
I can laugh or I can turn away
Well, I've seen sex and I think it's okay

I listened to the #31 playlist.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Prince - I Wanna Be Your Lover
  • Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right
On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Sia, Zero 7, Sophie Barker - Destiny - I only have limited exposure to Sia and had never heard of Zero 7 or Sophie Barker, but I love this song; I have a feeling the Sia playlist is going to be one of my favorites from this exercise
  • Los Lobos - I Got Loaded - fun song
  • Neko Case - Guided By Wire - not my typical type of music, but I liked this
  • Chris Cornell - The Keeper - I love Cornell and also love acoustic ballads
  • John Lee Hooker - Birmingham Blues - I like blues music but don't listen to it much, so I know who JLH is but I'm not familiar with a lot of his songs; this was a great start to his playlist
Great opening playlist. Love the diversity, and there are a lot of artists new to me. I liked a lot of other songs, these are just the ones that stood out to me. Look forward to hearing more.

Mike ShinodaJust Win BabyShe Couldn't

This song is a Linkin Park song. It was never released as a single but was released officially as part of the 20th anniversary edition of their first album, Hybrid Theory (which I very highly recommend!).

I chose this as my second playlist song because it is quite different from the first song, so two songs in you can see the diversity in Linkin Park's (and Shinoda's) music.

Mike Shinoda said this about the song:

"...that song was one of the first songs we wrote with Chester. It was one of the really early ones we wrote from scratch with that configuration of the band. And here's some things that are in it - not really any distorted guitars. It's got the beats, it's got the electronic sounds, it's got a sample of Mos Def from a High & Mighty "Rawkus" release. Which by the way, shout out to Yasiin Bey, to Mos, for clearing the sample. So, it's got those things in it and the theme of the song, lyrically, the song is about the outsider and being there for somebody. Do you know what I'm saying? Like, I feel like that song is a foreshadowing of not just of Hybrid Theory, it's the foreshadowing of the next ten to fifteen years of the band. Like, we had everything we were from the very beginning, right? Think about that. Everybody knew us for the Hybrid Theory sound. Even before we released that, we had that song. And we had other songs like that. So that's the thing I thought was so dope."

"Two things stand out about the song, to me: 1.) The programmed beat and focus on synth sounds and vocal loops (rather than heavy guitars) foreshadowed a future of the band many years after Hybrid Theory. In searching for our “first sound,” we set the groundwork for our later evolution. 2.) The softly-sung “you’re not alone” refrain reminded me that, although we debuted with a song screaming “shut up,” what most fans came to find out was that empathy and community were just as integral a part of LP’s DNA from the very beginning."

Dance Naked- John Mellencamp
From Dance Naked album

The title track from John's 13th album was a moderate success... making it to 41 on billboard top 100. it wasnt the best song off that album... that will come later on down the list. Pretty standard Mellencamp song... short with nice hook. I like the vibe and think this is an under rated one.

Sia chronological #30: Distractions by Zero 7, Sia

Scoresman rank: 13

The second of four songs I selected that Sia performed with Zero 7. This is more downtempo goodness to get lost into. This is also the first of two songs on my playlist that was included in an episode of Six Feet Under. The producers of that show must’ve really like Sia.

While we’re getting more Zero 7, I’m going to go ahead and recommend them if you’ve liked this sampling of songs, especially their early albums. Along with Sia, they have some really good songs featuring singers like Sophie Barker and Jose Gonzales. Really good stuff.

Beastie Boys #30 - The Move
Album - Hello Nasty (1998)

Peacockin'
Ad-Rock: 1, MCA: 0, Mike D: 0, Beastie Boys: 0, Greater NYC: 0

Name Rockin'
Toulouse Latrec, Shadi Rock

Rhyme Squawkin'
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast
But I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast

Yo Mama Talkin'
I don’t have a lot of interesting commentary on this one, but this gives me more of an ear worm than any other Beastie song.

Röyksopp And Robyn
30 - Do It Again feat Robyn

Year - 2014
Appears on - Do It Again EP
Vocalist - Robyn
Key Lyric -
We just do it again
Don't care what they say, it hurts so good
I don't wanna stop, I know I should
But let's do it again

Notes
1- By now Robyn and the band had worked together numerous times and after Robyns highly successful Body Talk series, she wasnt ready to do an album again. Röyksopp did appear on Body Talk Pt 1 with “None of Dem”, but that songs **** and wont appear on this list. They do record a worse song together later. It wont appear here either

2- The Do It Again EP was nominated for the 2015 Grammy Award for Best Dance/Electronic Album

3- Robyn said “I've been going back and forth to Bergen to record and write with the boys up until recently. Collaborating with them is something I enjoy very much. In the beginning we just knew we wanted to do something together and then it started to feel more like a band thing than songs for a Röyksopp or Robyn album so we're releasing this music together as a band, you could say", she said, describing the collaborative project as "an outlet for not having to live up to anything but my own expectations."

4- Berge said “the three of them were "in a particular place and space in our lives, where things were perhaps a bit bleak. So, in a way, we were all starting from square one, with no real intention other than to take our time and make what we wanted. And value every opinion, and I think that that translated well into the music." The duo commented that Do It Again "doesn't sound like Röyksopp featuring Robyn or Robyn produced by Röyksopp, it's just something else entirely. The word 'collaboration' has never before been more justified in the world of music!"

5- This track is at #30 cause it doesnt really sound like Röyksopp at all, its definitely more a Robyn track, which is great, but way poppier. This track almost got the boot as I just didnt feel it representative of the band. But its a great pop song.

Running Vocal Count
Röyksopp - 1
Robyn - 1

Where to find
Melody A.M - 0
The Understanding - 0
Röyksopp’s Night Out - 1
Back to Mine Series - 0
Junior - 0
Senior - 0
Late Night Tales Series - 0
Do It Again EP - 1
The Inevitable End - 0
Profound Mysteries I - 0
Profound Mysteries II - 0
Profound Mysteries III - 0
Other/Non Album Songs - 0

Year
1999 - 0
2001 - 0
2002 - 0
2005 - 0
2006 - 1
2007 - 0
2008 - 0
2009 - 0
2010 - 0
2013 - 0
2014 - 1
2016 - 0
2022 - 0

Thin LizzyzamboniRunning Back
The first of several songs that will come from their most familiar - and their best - album. Also likely the most fantasy football friendly title we'll get in this draft. A very melodic song that features Scott Gorham (the long-time second lead guitarist) doing a nice brief solo. Main lead guitarist Brian Robertson hated the song and decided not to play on it, and session keyboardist Tim Hinkley was brought in to do the keyboard riff. Phil Lynott readily admitted it was influenced by fellow countryman Van Morrison - maybe not a total coincidence, as two of the original Lizzy members, who were no longer with them by 1976, came from Van's band Them back in 1969.

two of the original Lizzy members, who were no longer with them by 1976, came from Van's band Them back in 1969.

Wow, I learned something today. I always liked Them. I had a 2 CD set with all their recorded material on it. Excellent garage/mid-'60s rock and roll.

two of the original Lizzy members, who were no longer with them by 1976, came from Van's band Them back in 1969.

Wow, I learned something today. I always liked Them. I had a 2 CD set with all their recorded material on it. Excellent garage/mid-'60s rock and roll.
Yeah, original lead guitarist Eric Bell and keyboardist Eric Wrixon were with Them (along with Van) back in the mid-'60s.
I love Phil Lynott's voice. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I definitely dig it.
For sure - he's got a real soulful sound to his voice - very soothing.

Röyksopp And Robyn

Gave this a listen. Loved it. I saw you had tagged me in a post, but I got it way too late to comment on what you had asked. I have heard of Röyksopp, but am totally new to them. This is a very cool dance track. Not sure about the video, though. Not really getting what it's trying to say, but hey, the song was cool.

Röyksopp And Robyn

Gave this a listen. Loved it. I saw you had tagged me in a post, but I got it way too late to comment on what you had asked. I have heard of Röyksopp, but am totally new to them. This is a very cool dance track. Not sure about the video, though. Not really getting what it's trying to say, but hey, the song was cool.
The weird dancier/electro stuff that evokes Daft Punk is coming later. Like the french duo they can be all over the place, but are rooted in electronica. Trip hop, downbeat, dark synthwave are just some of the categories they bounce in and out of.

The introduction tracks are just setting a scene.
Track #31 a song more familiar to others done by them
Track #30 an accessible pop song.
Track #29 is definitely more Röyksopp, but has a hook that is familiar to pop culture
Track #28 is Röyksopp as producers
Track #27 starts the real Röyksopp rundown

Thanks for listening.

Tears for Fears
#30 - Creep

Had never heard this before - really good cover. Is that Curt singing - sometimes it's hard to discern between his and Roland's voice.

Pointer SistersMrs. RannousI Need A Man

Fierce bass work here - damn. Not sure which of these legends are playing here from the Wiki album notes:

Tears for Fears
#30 - Creep

Had never heard this before - really good cover. Is that Curt singing - sometimes it's hard to discern between his and Roland's voice.
No, this is Roland.
It was first done in the mid 90s when Curt left the group.
Basically TFF are a duo in the 80s, 00s, 10s and 20s
They are a Roland solo project in the 90s

Most of these songs will be Roland as the lead.
Curt did 5 of the first 7 singles as lead though and does plenty of backing and verse or chorus stuff once Roland takes over.

The poppier the song = Curt.
The more dramatic and emotional = Roland

Tears for Fears
#30 - Creep

No, this is Roland.
It was first done in the mid 90s when Curt left the group.
Basically TFF are a duo in the 80s, 00s, 10s and 20s
They are a Roland solo project in the 90s

Most of these songs will be Roland as the lead.
Curt did 5 of the first 7 singles as lead though and does plenty of backing and verse or chorus stuff once Roland takes over.

The poppier the song = Curt.
The more dramatic and emotional = Roland
I didn't know that Curt had actually left at one point - they were kind of off my radar after the late '80s/early '90s.

Oooh, Mastodon. That was righteous.

eta* I should be grouping my comments together, but I didn't expect to be listening this morning. I'm not endeavoring to listen to the entire playlist, so my comments are a bit fragmented.

Listening to the 30s?

Yeah, I think. "March of the Fire Ants." I listened all the way through "Burning Man" on the album Remission. Good stuff. I enjoyed it.

I started to listen to Leviathan, also. Apparently I've already downloaded a Mastodon song from eons ago. Probably forgot all about it.

I dig it.

Listening to the 30s?

Yeah, I think. "March of the Fire Ants." I listened all the way through "Burning Man" on the album Remission. Good stuff. I enjoyed it.

I started to listen to Leviathan, also. Apparently I've already downloaded a Mastodon song from eons ago. Probably forgot all about it.

I dig it.
Hey man, if you are working ahead I can just send you my playlist. ;)

Seriously, glad you are liking it though. Surprised, but glad.

So far, Roger Clyne, and Drive By Truckers, have totally been doing it for me, except now I find out the DBT song is the wrong song so I don’t know what the hell to make of anything anymore
Well you'll get to hear it again next round. I linked the one for today as well.

Mastodon is great, I know this stuff already (mostly) so looking forward to seeing how you rank it. I should have done Deftones for a little counterbalance. I felt like early on we were skewing heavy, and then we didn’t

Surprised, but glad.

I was going to protest but can see where you'd be surprised. We did team up for the Genrepalooza thrash category with a few other souls, though. At least that's my memory of it. I grew up listening to heavy metal, so there's also that. But yeah, I gravitated away from metal in my later years.

I got half way through the 31s so hoping to finish that up today and maybe get started on the 30s. 🤞

My #30 - Not The One - is one of 7 I have from the Dosage album. You might think that I kind of like this album. Not The One is a typical song from the band highlighting melodic vocals and Roland's voice. Although there are a few "rockers" in my list like my #31 This, Not The One is the type of song I really love from the band and I have many like this in my list. If you don't like it you'll probably not like many of the songs I have selected.

Mastodon is great, I know this stuff already (mostly) so looking forward to seeing how you rank it. I should have done Deftones for a little counterbalance. I felt like early on we were skewing heavy, and then we didn’t
@plinko - no ranking of songs here. I can talk more as we go about what might be my ranked favorites. For the playlist I am playing Emperor of Sand start to finish, but between every song I am putting 2 songs from other albums and I tried to match the tunes so it flowed. For example, Sultan's Curse is probably my least favorite tune on the album and probably wouldn't have made the playlist if I was doing a legit rank 31, and more from Leviathan would be on it. To start we are doing Track 1 off EoS, song from Remission, song from Leviathan, Track 2 off EoS.

@plinko - no ranking of songs here. I can talk more as we go about what might be my ranked favorites. For the playlist I am playing Emperor of Sand start to finish, but between every song I am putting 2 songs from other albums and I tried to match the tunes so it flowed. For example, Sultan's Curse is probably my least favorite tune on the album and probably wouldn't have made the playlist if I was doing a legit rank 31, and more from Leviathan would be on it. To start we are doing Track 1 off EoS, song from Remission, song from Leviathan, Track 2 off EoS.
Right right I forgot… well let it flow baby po

Surprised, but glad.

I was going to protest but can see where you'd be surprised. We did team up for the Genrepalooza thrash category with a few other souls, though. At least that's my memory of it. I grew up listening to heavy metal, so there's also that. But yeah, I gravitated away from metal in my later years.
I think this is more what I was getting at. Surprise in general because I am self conscious about the metal when I know it's not something that is spun much in the group, and when it leans heavier/growly. But the bolded is probably more accurate, and I was similar for at least a decade + of gravitating away from metal but growing up on it. It was Opeth then Mastodon that rekindled my love of the genre in my old age, and now that we are talking about it - that is what I would be happy with if it captured that for any other aging former metal fans that got away from newer bands. Emperor of Sand really hits me in the feels and brings back that exploration of bands like Maiden from the day. Sitting there staring at the art, digging into the weirdness, etc. It was like Middle School and obsessing over 7th Son.

Incubus - Are You In?

Objective of round 2: something completely different than round 1. Is it about an orgy? drugs? resolutions to in-fighting amongst the band? I don't care. The bass line is infectious and the rest of the band sprinkles in their pieces and parts to compliment it beautifully beginning-to-end. Apparently this was a single, which I didn't realize until getting ready for this thing, so some may already be familiar with it, but since I didn't even realize it I assume most are the same, especially since many in here were disengaged from new music in the aughts. Hope you enjoyed!

Some random stand outs for me from the 30s:

Someday - So far Los Lobos might be the biggest surprise of the playlist for me. Loved both tunes so far
Stabitha Christie - I didn't mind the first tune, but this was a step up for my ears.
Love Me or Leave Me - I watched the Nina doc, and it's highly recommended. I really dug the swinging groove on this one.
Primer Coat - spoiler alert, I liked both DBT tunes on this playlist. ;)
Long Time Gone - I've heard a few CSN/CSNY tunes, but never with the headphones. Suite Judy was better than I remember (and I remembered really liking it), and I have been loving the musicianship along with the vocals.
Fourth of July - little crabby that 80s made me cry this morning, but haunting and beautiful tune.
I Feel Better - right up there with the Los Lobos surprise. I have really enjoyed the 1st two tunes.
No More Doggin' - Loved both the first songs and I'm so glad we are getting some old school blues to dig into.
Love's No Friend - Epic rockin' 70s. I was looking forward to Rainbow on the list too.

Knew 8 of the 31's going in.
Fav of the new to me 31's in playlist order
Star-Full Band- only know the first 2 albums
Destiny- don't know anything about Cia
Sultans Curse- only know a couple early albums
Never Gonna Change- I've seen them live a couple times and liked them but don't know much about them
Intro- never heard of him/them
Crash Years- never heard them before
Strong start, so far I like this mix of artists better than last round.
In to the 30's !

Playlist was updated and now has Primer Coat on there as it should have.
Just want to say the spreadsheet is locked for any updates.

So I doubt this will be changed on my end.

The form is great and all, but it is a little quirky. When I deleted multiple entries submitted from the google form before posting the 31's, the old duplicates still download to the spreadsheet and so, I had to lock it before posting the 31's.

Starting to get a lot more change requests this round than last. The only place for me to change them is when I actually post the next list here and I can't guarantee I will remember. With lists submitted in many different orders, I don't think it's that big of a deal to move one up or down.

So please everyone, don't submit any more change requests. thanks!

“lick a message” is weird and gross and very groovy

I, pretty much, thought the exact same thing. I included another super cringy song later on about a stripper which I really, really didn't want to include but as much as I hate the lyrics, I really enjoy the song. So it is equally weird, gross and groovy.

Also, I am way too lazy to fact check, verify, identify and look this up but I know that Pye Dubois wrote a lot of / some of / a few of (I honestly don't know how many) of Kim Mitchell's songs. I believe he credits him (Pye I mean) for his most popular song which I've included. Rush fans know the name all too well but for the other unenlightened masses, Pye Dubois penned the lyrics for Tom Sawyer. I always imagined Neil sitting around going "oh come on, people really love 'Catch the sprit, Catch the spit' over 'That those who know what's best for us, Must rise and save us from ourselves'?. . whatever. . . I hate people!" :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread