What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Malaysian plane shot down in Ukraine. (1 Viewer)

How much does it matter if Americans were aboard?
Personally, I think our involvement should be reduced (not to nothing, but def not as the lead) if something happened on foreign soil that had zero American casualties... That is just my opinion and I'm sure a lot would disagree.

He thinks that it MAY be a terrible tragedy, yet continues on with jokes? What a leader.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2696366/It-looks-like-terrible-tragedy-Obama-briefly-addresses-Malaysian-plane-crash-emerges-23-U-S-passengers-board.html

Barack Obama provoked fury in the U.S. by casually devoting mere moments to the deaths of 295 people aboard a Malaysian airliner on Thursday in Wilmington, Delaware, and then launching into jokes and his prepared remarks on the need to expand America's transportation infrastructure.

Twenty-three Americans are feared dead after the jetliner crashed in eastern Ukraine.

Obama declared that 'it looks like it may be a terrible tragedy, but not before enthusiastically declaring that 'it is wonderful to be back in Delaware.'
Give it a rest, weirdo.
Waaahhhhh, did I hurt your little feelings by criticizing our esteemed "leader"?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Before I begin, obviously the world is watching reports of a downed passenger jet near the Russia/Ukraine border. And it looks like it may be a terrible tragedy. Right now we're working to determine whether there were American citizens onboard. That is our first priority. And I've directed my national security team to stay in close contact with the Ukrainian government. The United States will offer any assistance we can to help determine what happened and why. And as a country our thoughts and prayers are with all of the families and passengers wherever they call home.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/07/17/obama_plane_crash_in_ukraine_may_be_a_terrible_tragedy.html

It looks like it may be a terrible tragedy. Just likely maybe might be. Or not. He doesn't know. Vlad Putin told him personally... but they're still looking for details.

Here's betting that it wasn't written that way for him. Well he got in his photo op and will be doing two fundraisers tonight. He's on it.
Eh, I screw up enough wordsmithing - I'd hose that up on a constant basis. He did seem a little flippant about the whole thing, though; the appropriate thing would have been for a moment of silence and then back to the the fundraising.

But calling him out over a misplaced word? That seems a bit unfair.

It seems to me that there should be another thread created about "Obama's response to the Malaysian airline being shot down". They're two separate topics that both deserve attention but will just clutter each other up in a single thread.

World is a FREE FOR ALL!!!!!

Unbelievable that this happened, even more unbelievable that something like this would involve Malaysian Airlines.

He thinks that it MAY be a terrible tragedy, yet continues on with jokes? What a leader.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2696366/It-looks-like-terrible-tragedy-Obama-briefly-addresses-Malaysian-plane-crash-emerges-23-U-S-passengers-board.html

Barack Obama provoked fury in the U.S. by casually devoting mere moments to the deaths of 295 people aboard a Malaysian airliner on Thursday in Wilmington, Delaware, and then launching into jokes and his prepared remarks on the need to expand America's transportation infrastructure.

Twenty-three Americans are feared dead after the jetliner crashed in eastern Ukraine.

Obama declared that 'it looks like it may be a terrible tragedy, but not before enthusiastically declaring that 'it is wonderful to be back in Delaware.'
Give it a rest, weirdo.
Waaahhhhh, did I hurt your little feelings by criticizing our esteemed "leader"?
It is weird that Obama was with Putin a mere hours before this happened......

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Before I begin, obviously the world is watching reports of a downed passenger jet near the Russia/Ukraine border. And it looks like it may be a terrible tragedy. Right now we're working to determine whether there were American citizens onboard. That is our first priority. And I've directed my national security team to stay in close contact with the Ukrainian government. The United States will offer any assistance we can to help determine what happened and why. And as a country our thoughts and prayers are with all of the families and passengers wherever they call home.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/07/17/obama_plane_crash_in_ukraine_may_be_a_terrible_tragedy.html

It looks like it may be a terrible tragedy. Just likely maybe might be. Or not. He doesn't know. Vlad Putin told him personally... but they're still looking for details.

Here's betting that it wasn't written that way for him. Well he got in his photo op and will be doing two fundraisers tonight. He's on it.
Eh, I screw up enough wordsmithing - I'd hose that up on a constant basis. He did seem a little flippant about the whole thing, though; the appropriate thing would have been for a moment of silence and then back to the the fundraising.

But calling him out over a misplaced word? That seems a bit unfair.
Ok, maybe you're right. He is the president though and wordsmithing is his forte, or it's supposed to be. And he spoke to Putin about it, the plane went down no survivors or close to it, average citizens getting it off CNN knew that. I think the statement overall was good, succinct, but at that specific point it was a flat out a horrible tragedy. Maybe too early to comment about Russian/Ukrainian involvement so ok there.

this is funny, i usually dont bother with these threads, but thought I would post what will happen. cause it's the same #### that happens after every 'big' event. there is gonna be piles of coverage. there will be lots of interviews, tons. there will be investigating. there will be conspiracy theories. there will be top pentagon sources quoted. there will be a lot of anger and calls for action. nothing specific, but action. this will go on for 2-3 weeks. then slowly, but surely, coverage will fade. the cnn breaking news crawl will change to something different, like a kid in a well, or buried miners, or Kim kardashian having a kid. this is what always happens. to think otherwise, well we are just fooling ourselves.

event - breaking coverage - overreaction - reaction - conspiracy theories - inaction - inertia - kid in a well (likely white)

rinse repeat

this is funny, i usually dont bother with these threads, but thought I would post what will happen. cause it's the same #### that happens after every 'big' event. there is gonna be piles of coverage. there will be lots of interviews, tons. there will be investigating. there will be conspiracy theories. there will be top pentagon sources quoted. there will be a lot of anger and calls for action. nothing specific, but action. this will go on for 2-3 weeks. then slowly, but surely, coverage will fade. the cnn breaking news crawl will change to something different, like a kid in a well, or buried miners, or Kim kardashian having a kid. this is what always happens. to think otherwise, well we are just fooling ourselves.

event - breaking coverage - overreaction - reaction - conspiracy theories - inaction - inertia - kid in a well (likely white)

rinse repeat
/thread

rinse repeat
You've dated yourself (as I've just dated myself). That was almost 30 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

rinse repeat
Where does "maybe it got sucked into a black hole" fall on the chart?

What should the response to this be?
Hopefully we don't wait to find out any facts. I want something to be done NOW!
I wasn't really saying what should the US's response be. I was more asking what should the world's response be to this? This is Russia's fault. The question is, will anything happen because of what they have done?
Sorry - wasn't really directed at you. Should have pointed that out.

rinse repeat
:goodposting: :thanks:

Is attending a fundraiser really the best use of our President's time tonight?

(cue the "what should he be doing" replies)

Is attending a fundraiser really the best use of our President's time tonight?

(cue the "what should he be doing" replies)
It's the middle of the night in Europe, they have the first move. Want him to go to the crash scene to run some forensic tests? Lots we don't know.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm late to the party -

Can anyone recall a civilian aircraft being shot down by a foreign military before? What were the consequences?

Can anyone recall a civilian aircraft being shot down by a foreign military before? What were the consequences?
Both the US and Soviet Union have done it, an Iranian and Korean airliner, respectively. Not much.

Presidents don't need to go into bunker mode every time bad #### goes down, I don't understand why people think this has to happen. They are pretty much in crisis response mode 24/7, it's part of the job description.

What should the response to this be?
Hopefully we don't wait to find out any facts. I want something to be done NOW!
I wasn't really saying what should the US's response be. I was more asking what should the world's response be to this? This is Russia's fault. The question is, will anything happen because of what they have done?
This is what the Klingons were asking in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

It was so obvious that the Enterprise fired at the Klingon vessel. It was Kirk's fault. Let's move on to what should be done. No need to question who did it at all. We're already past that.
Great analogy.

Love that movie like crazy but never did figure out why the damage to Gorkon's ship couldn't be scanned and torpedo residue identified to show that it was a Klingon, not a Starfleet, torpedo. Or perhaps Chang's ship retrofitted and used a Starfleet torpedo, but I don't think that was ever addressed in dialogue.

Both the US and Soviet Union have done it, an Iranian and Korean airliner, respectively. Not much.
That was a different time though, nothing could be done. No globalization, Russia wasn't dependent on others for their survival, and the one we shot down was from a country we had no diplomatic ties to.

Give it a rest, weirdo.
Oof, such tired tired schtick

That was a different time though, nothing could be done. No globalization, Russia wasn't dependent on others for their survival, and the one we shot down was from a country we had no diplomatic ties to.
Very true, much different time. Didn't mean to imply that nothing will happen this time.

Yes; the U.S.S. Vincennes, a USN guided missile cruiser operating in the Persian Gulf, shot down an Iranian plane in 1988. Iran sued in, IIRC, the World Court and the U.S. paid reparations as part of a settlement but did not apologize.

In 1983, the Soviet Union shot down a Korean Air Lines jet that strayed into Soviet (Russian) airspace for unknown reasons. The victims included a United States Representative. Nothing substantive happened as a consequence.

Users who are viewing this thread