What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manti Te'o's girlfriend who died... (1 Viewer)

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGIDWow. RT @TheBigLead: Confirmed from 2 sources: ESPN has known about Manti Te'o story for 10 days.
ESPN is the WORST
Bull####. Just another pathetic attempt to try and undermine the work that Deadspin has done.
That doesn't undermine Deadspin's research at all...It further reveals what most of us have known for a long time...ESPN is a joke
Totally inexcusable. Apparently they're claiming they couldn't confirm the hoax allegation. Yeah, right.

@AdamHimmelsbach: ND's Grant Patton said Te'o received call about GF's death in locker room on Wednesday before Mich. St. game: "He was in pain. He was hurt."@AdamHimmelsbach: I spoke to ND's Grant Patton, who witnessed Manti Te'o receiving call about GF's death: "He was distraught. It was pain personified."

Jadeveon Clowny's Twitter feed is gold right now... https://twitter.com/JadeveonClowny

Jadeveon Clowny ‏@JadeveonClownyManti teo should have just gone the tebow route and admitted he was a virgin.Jadeveon Clowny ‏@JadeveonClownySo Manti teo is gonna be on catfish now?Jadeveon Clowny ‏@JadeveonClownyManti teo probably wont get that eharmony endorsement nowJadeveon Clowny ‏@JadeveonClownyManti Teos girl pic.twitter.com/skhjtGM4Jadeveon Clowny ‏@JadeveonClownyYou wanna know what's weirder than Manti Teo making up a girlfriend then pretend killing her? Nothing.

So is the take home right now that Manny is really gullible? Who was on the phone with him on all those intimate calls if not this Tuiasosopo dude?

If ESPN has known the story for 10 days, that would mean they got it on Jan 6. And what happened on Jan 7 that was televised on ESPN? :popcorn:

Lakers Nation (@LakersNation)1/16/13, 6:33 PMOn the bright side, Lakers, your playoff chances are still more real than Manti Teo'o's girlfriend.

If ESPN has known the story for 10 days, that would mean they got it on Jan 6. And what happened on Jan 7 that was televised on ESPN? :popcorn:
Had to wait 10 days because they couldn't confirm this was an obvious hoax, but, broke the Bernie Fine story immediately...

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame says a story about Manti Te'o's girlfriend dying, which he said inspired him to play better as he helped the Fighting Irish get to the Discover BCS National Championship game, turned out to be a hoax apparently perpetrated against the linebacker.

The university issued a news release Wednesday after Deadspin.com reported it could find no record of Lennay Kekua existing.

The university says Notre Dame coaches were informed by Te'o and his parents on Dec. 26 that Te'o had been the victim of what appeared to be a hoax. Someone using a fictitious name "apparently ingratiated herself" with Te'o, the school said, then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had died of leukemia.

The university said "the proper authorities" are investigating a "very cruel deception."

On Sept. 12, Te'o learned his 72-year-old grandmother, Annette Santiago, had died. Te'o said he was told just six hours later that Kekua had lost her battle with leukemia.

After Notre Dame's 20-3 win over Michigan State on Sept. 15, Teo said: "My family and my girlfriend's family have received so much love and support from the Notre Dame family," Te'o said. "Michigan State fans showed some love. And it goes to show that people understand that football is just a game, and it's a game that we play, and we have fun doing it But at the end of the day, what matters is the people who are around you, and family. I appreciate all the love and support that everybody's given my family and my girlfriend's family."

He was asked again about his girlfriend on Jan. 3 prior to the BCS title game, saying: "This team is very special to me, and the guys on it have always been there for me, through the good times and the bad times. I rarely have a quiet time to myself because I always have somebody calling me, asking, do you want to go to the movies? Coach is always calling me asking me, 'Are you OK? Do you need anything?' "

According to the Deadspin report, Te'o and Tuiasosopo have been in contact via Twitter, including exchanging several friendly messages last summer. A Notre Dame source told ESPN that Te'o was vetted heavily when the school learned in December that Kekua was a hoax, and said he believes Te'o was not involved. But a friend of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, a high school classmate of Kekua, told Deadspin he was quote "80 percent sure" that Te'o participated and did so with publicity in mind.
ESPN linkDoes ESPN even read the stuff they put out. How is Tuiasosopo a high school classmate of someone that doesn't exist?

So is the take home right now that Manny is really gullible? Who was on the phone with him on all those intimate calls if not this Tuiasosopo dude?
The spin is that he's really gullible.The take home is that he's a liar.
but the reporter who said he saw him take the call informing him of her death and was "pain personified" suggests he either believed or was a really good actor.

people thought those tweets from Clowney were real? Bunch of Teo's in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
but the reporter who said he saw him take the call informing him of her death and was "pain personified" suggests he either believed or was a really good actor.
That wasn't a reporter, that was a teammate. For all we know, Te'o could have set up the phone call and faked his response.edit: it's also possible that the teammate actually witnessed the phone call about Te'o's grandmother (remember, both the girlfriend and the grandmother supposedly died within a few hours of each other).

Last edited by a moderator:
That wasn't a reporter, that was a teammate. For all we know, Te'o could have set up the phone call and faked his response.
If that's the case then he's good. I mean, real good.

That wasn't a reporter, that was a teammate. For all we know, Te'o could have set up the phone call and faked his response.
oh. I didn't recognize the name. Figured it was someone credible. Guess not.

Doug Gottlieb (CBS radio host): "Here's the other question, in addition to how did Manti Te'o conduct all these interviews when at some point he had to know he didn't have a girlfriend because he never met her, how did no other journalists happen to do any sort of research to find out she didn't exist?"

Jack Dickey (Deadspin writer): "Doug, I have no idea. As surprising as people find the facts of this story that we published on Deadspin, I find it far more shocking that we're the first ones to actually look into it. I really am. And we're going to publish a follow-up that illustrates it. And we're not talking local newspaper guys who are at fault, although certainly many of them are. Many major media organizations and writers that I respect a lot were taken in by this, and didn't do their fact-checking, or overlook discrepancies, etc. So that's, to me, at least, as a journalist, that's what really shocks me about this story."
Awesome.BTW, Jack Dickey is a senior at Columbia. Undergrad.
Stefan BC ‏@WretchedSnarkDeadspin stopping an undergrad from masturbating long enough to work while on break is a big story

Users who are viewing this thread