What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Sanchez (2 Viewers)

Replacing RGIII as my QB2 this week in a Start2- QB league. I have no idea what to expect but it should be interesting. Matchup is very favorable so that's a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Eagle homer or anyone with in-depth knowledge of the Eagle have any idea of how Sanchez's connection may be with WR options not named Maclin?

Honestly the Philly offense looked the same with him in there, except Foles likes to drift backward and throw off his back foot at times. He looked poised and the TD to Matthews was a nice touch throw. The INT intended for Huff bounced right off his hands on a crossing route. The other INT was a bad read but it looked like there was a little bit of confusion on the execution all around. It happens. He looked very much in control for the most part, and I feel much more confident in him this time around with this offense and this coach. Foles wasn't playing lights out anyway so I don't see why Sanchez can't be productive.

As far as Philly running the ball there was a 4 play, 60 plus yard drive where McCoy and Polk just gashed the Texans like they weren't even there. If Philly starts running like that again at times then I think that only helps open up more of those big play opportunities for Sanchez. They should run plenty of plays overall in that offense as well.
I watched the game back a few times and don't see it the same. Foles hits his man in stride where they can make a play after the catch. The int to Huff is a perfect example of that. The ball was catchable, but it was also high and away from the WR on a simple pattern. Another good example is the big plays to Maclin. Foles hit Maclin and he walks in the end zone, not so with Sanchez.Sanchez should be decent. Most teams season would be over if they lost a starting QB. I'm glad this isn't the case. The Eagles still have a chance at winning the division. However, they are completely different QBs. Foles likes to go deep. That isn't Sanchez's game at all. To act like the needle doesn't even move after losing a probowl QB is crazy talk by everyone.
As others have stated, Foles was not playing anything near pro-bowl caliber. Add in the fact that Chip channeled his inner Andy Reid and started running a ton once the backup was in. If that continues (which I am hoping it does), Sanchez can thrive in this offense. The four play, all runs series that ended in a Polk 8 yard TD up the middle is case in point. The Oline getting back to what its supposed to be means this running game will do the same. That was a statement drive. More of that is exactly what Sanchez needs. No more of this pass 50+ times BS that they were asking Foles to do.
McCoy did nothing in that same span. WR/TEs dropped TDs. The line let pressure up the middle consistently. The team is still a few plays from being undefeated. How can you question the gameplan or prefer Mark Sanchez? As I stated, you don't just lose a pro-bowl talent and retain your superbowl odds. Apperently Eagles fans would rather have a QB that the talk radio heads prefer instead of a chance at a real dynasty. There isn't another team in the league where this nonsense would be uttered.Foles has never really had a tendency to throw picks since college. If/when he did, he always bounced back. I'll side with history and the larger sample size. He's a young, emerging QB working out some kinks (like taking sacks). I'll give him the same pass that everyone gives other young QBs (looking at you Blake Bortles).

This is the same media regurgitation that said Vick and Barkley was better, and that Foles couldn't run this offense at all. They also preferred Geno Smith to Mark Sanchez. Really, what's the odds that they're wrong again? All this Sanchez love actually worries me knowing everyone's track record.
Bro relax. I never once said I prefer Sanchez, only that I don't believe, in this offense, the drop off is as much as you think. I'm not a huge Foles guy but he was the starter for a reason. That being said, you are fooling yourself if you put all the blame on WRs dropping passes and Oline woes on Foles sub par season. He's looked like a shell of last year and has repeatedly missed wide open targets and made bad decisions. When there is a pass rush he back peddles and tosses. You can't tell me he is playing at a pro bowl level. And my point with the run game is that this year they have him tossing the ball a ton. last year-his pro bowl year- all they did was run. I'm hoping they get back to that mentality, which can only help Sanchez.

I really think Dirty Sanchez could be a low end QB1 rest of the way with potential for more. Sure he's going to make mistakes, but he's not afraid to throw downfield. I think this offense is dynamic enough and the Eagles D is porous enough. He will also pick up some rushing yards on scrambles and the option.

Any Eagle homer or anyone with in-depth knowledge of the Eagle have any idea of how Sanchez's connection may be with WR options not named Maclin?
Matthews
Is this Mathews as in, "Mathews is going to be a viable FF starter going forward" or as in, "Mathews will be the next most targeted player." I read somewhere that Sanchez and Mathews had chemistry from second string reps but I haven't watched enough Eagles preseason or whatnot to confirm that.

wbaaoz said:
JetMaxx said:
wbaaoz said:
Matthews
Is this Mathews as in, "Mathews is going to be a viable FF starter going forward" or as in, "Mathews will be the next most targeted player." I read somewhere that Sanchez and Mathews had chemistry from second string reps but I haven't watched enough Eagles preseason or whatnot to confirm that.
I went to Eagles practice early during training camp and if you read my post from that time, I thought Sanchez looked better than Foles. Here's what I wrote:

The one drill I thought was neat was the passing drills. They had the 4 QBs in camp (Foles, Sanchez, Barkley and Kinne) plus another guy who wasn't in uniform so I guess he was a ball boy or something all lined up. Then the WRs, RBs and TEs would run 5 different routes. Two would be in the flat, one short cross, one long cross and one bomb. Depending on where you were in line you would throw one of the routes and then move down the line to get a different throw. IMO, Sanchez look especially good. He had the strongest arm of the group and was money on each and every throw. Foles look pretty good too but Sanchez really stood out to me. Barkley didn't look very good, a lot of ducks and not much arm strength.
Also, what I learned from that practice is that the Eagles run it at such a high pace that even the backups get a ton of snaps so I'd assume that Sanchez has had more work with the all the WRs than your usual backup.

I went to Eagles practice early during training camp and if you read my post from that time, I thought Sanchez looked better than Foles. Here's what I wrote:

The one drill I thought was neat was the passing drills. They had the 4 QBs in camp (Foles, Sanchez, Barkley and Kinne) plus another guy who wasn't in uniform so I guess he was a ball boy or something all lined up. Then the WRs, RBs and TEs would run 5 different routes. Two would be in the flat, one short cross, one long cross and one bomb. Depending on where you were in line you would throw one of the routes and then move down the line to get a different throw. IMO, Sanchez look especially good. He had the strongest arm of the group and was money on each and every throw. Foles look pretty good too but Sanchez really stood out to me. Barkley didn't look very good, a lot of ducks and not much arm strength.
Also, what I learned from that practice is that the Eagles run it at such a high pace that even the backups get a ton of snaps so I'd assume that Sanchez has had more work with the all the WRs than your usual backup.
That's good stuff. :thumbup:

I thought that Sanchez looked pretty sharp in preseason with the opportunities he had. Looked real good in the game last week as well. Every reason to believe that he'll be as good - if not better - than Foles in that offense.

I think these next 6 weeks are going to KILL the Jets fans. :lol:

Sanchez went in all my leagues for crazy high waiver bids. I only was able to get him in one league. I think the buzz on him is going to pan out as legit. We'll see.

:popcorn:

He's going to be OK. Depends on the scoring system but I can see him averaging 15-20 a game. Decent but not stud level. I think McCoy is going to be getting back to form these next 8 games.

I am picking him up. I smell fantasy gold. Chip Kelly is looking like the real deal at this point and some of us are forgetting that Sanchez is actually a pretty battle tested guy, having been both with the Jets in the playoffs and the man at USC. I actually hate the Eagles and I hate Sanchez, but to me this looks like the perfect storm. Sanchez is probably 100% dialed in because he will stand to make a butt-load of money if he succeeds, he is in an offense that is going to sling it around no matter what. It helps that they have a pretty sweet schedule going forward too....it is looking like there are a lot of shoot outs on the horizon.

There's no defenses that are going to kill him except the Seahawks (and that's at Philly, so even they aren't as bad as if at Seattle). It's a good fantasy schedule.

There's no defenses that are going to kill him except the Seahawks (and that's at Philly, so even they aren't as bad as if at Seattle). It's a good fantasy schedule.
Great point, and I also think a lot of the "fear factor" juice has emptied out of that Legion of Boom tank as well.

DaWidowMaker said:
Mark Sanchez is what we know he is.....The Panthers D(as bad as they are w/o Hardy) with one week to prepare will absolutely destroy him. He threw 2 Int's in relief duty, imagine what will happen in 4 full quarters of preparation. I'm not a believer.
Shocking. A Cowboy fan projecting bad things for the Eagles with much hyperbole. Almost as unbiased as the Eagles fans thinking the Eagles offense will improve with Sanchez.

I think there will be a slight drop off in QB play, but not as much as normally happens when you go from a starting QB to a backup QB.

i watched enough eagles football this year to see nick foles is very ordinary... he is terribly inaccurate with his throws as he misses too many open WR's.... i dont see any reason why sanchez cant step in and produce at the same level as foles did

wbaaoz said:
I'm a Jets' homer, not an Eagles' homer but Sanchez has always been stronger attacking the middle of the field - so I'd say Matthews and Ertz should benefit. Dustin Keller was often his favorite target in NY.

I think these next 6 weeks are going to KILL the Jets fans. :lol:
Not this one. I'll be pulling for him. He did a lot for that team and was never the same after a Sunday Night game in Baltimore where he was absolutely abused. They also did him no favors by continuing to take weapons away from him each season leaving the skill guys worse and worse.

On the other side of the fence, he did tend to make many bonehead throws - which I'll put on him.

I picked him up in two leagues where I had Russell Wilson in both. I have looked at their remaining schedules and they compliment each other pretty well. I think Sanchez will be an upgrade to Foles' first half numbers with the return of two OL starters and a favorable schedule down the stretch (Car, GB, Dal 2x, Wash week 16).

Just for FAAB discussion purposes, I got him for $19/$100 in one league as a Luck bye week fill in, and $11/$100 in another league to add to my stable of QBs with Russell Wilson & Tony Romo. I think I'm rolling Sanchize this week. Just want someone out there that I can count on to chuck it 30 plus times.

Oh boy, we all know how this is going to end.
Don't say that. I just need one week outta this guy. Just one.
Haha. Well ill say this. The FFPC doesn't penalize for fumbles lost so in that kind of format, he's a bit more appealing.

Just so hard to trust Mark Sanchez. He can throw 300+ and 3 td's or 180, no TD's and 3 picks. I can definitely see the potential that everyone else here sees but I can also see impending DOOM.

Haha. Well ill say this. The FFPC doesn't penalize for fumbles lost so in that kind of format, he's a bit more appealing.

Just so hard to trust Mark Sanchez. He can throw 300+ and 3 td's or 180, no TD's and 3 picks. I can definitely see the potential that everyone else here sees but I can also see impending DOOM.
But do they penalize for Butt Fumbles?

I like it Mark "Impending Doom" Sanchez....lol

i watched enough eagles football this year to see nick foles is very ordinary... he is terribly inaccurate with his throws as he misses too many open WR's.... i dont see any reason why sanchez cant step in and produce at the same level as foles did
This is kind of the mystery to me--if Sanchez can produce at the same level as Foles did, why would I want to start him? Even just using the 7 games before his injury, Foles was scoring as just 19th in PPG in my main league.I mean, I can see a few situations where you can get excited about that production at this point in the season: if you don't want to start Matt Ryan on the road, if you were relying on RG3 and have been streaming since he first got hurt, and so on. But aside from using Sanchez as a one-week fill-in, what's the real upside here? You have to think Sanchez is considerably better than Foles or the Eagles' schedule considerably weaker the rest of the way than it has been this season if you're expecting him to provide top-12 returns.

Last edited by a moderator:
wbaaoz said:
JetMaxx said:
wbaaoz said:
Matthews

Thank you for your insight. Very appreciated!

I'm now rooting for this guy to succeed.

NFL.com reports former Jets WR Braylon Edwards played alongside Philadelphia Eagles QB Mark Sanchez during those playoff campaigns and claims the passer's early success in New York's run-heavy offense came with a cost. "You have to remember Mark was 20 years old when he was drafted. He was a kid." Edwards said Friday on WPEN-FM, per NJ.com. "They babied him and never really allowed him to man-up in the NFL, which is a league full of men." Said Edwards: "We had a good team that allowed him to not grow up, if you will. When they took away the pieces, that's when you saw the decline of Mark Sanchez. Flash forward, I think those circumstances of his last three years with the Jets really allowed him to take hardship, take scares, and learn from them." Eagles teammates see more maturity in Sanchez today, with WR Jeremy Maclin saying the "sky's the limit" for a quarterback who, at 27, finds himself surrounded by more weapons and better offensive coaching than he ever received in New York.

Matthews
Sanchez to Matthews Once Again

Jordan Matthews described meeting Mark Sanchez for the first time as his “Welcome to the NFL moment.”

“When I saw him I was like, ‘That’s Mark Sanchez.’ It was kind of weird to me,” he said. “But he came right up to me and was like, ‘Hey, what’s up Jordan?’ Cool as the other side of the pillow. It helped my transition a lot because it was like, OK, these guys aren’t that different from me.”

Paired together on the second team this summer, the two became fast friends on the field. Sanchez targeted Matthews so often it became a running joke among some members of the media:

“Guess who?"

Without looking, you knew it was Sanchez to Matthews.

“We’re both extremely competitive guys and it was the situation coming into camp and OTAs that the way the reps were set we were going to be in there a lot with each other, so we both made it a point to go out there and work hard,” said Matthews. “He noticed something in me so he gave me a lot of opportunities and I knew, OK, I’m coming in here and I have a quarterback that trusts me and I have to make the most of the opportunities.”

Not surprisingly, Sanchez’s first touchdown pass in an Eagles’ uniform went to No. 81. Shortly after hitting Jeremy Maclin for the 52-yarder on his first snap of the game, Sanchez feathered a pass to Matthews in the back of the end zone for an 11-yard score. He targeted the rookie three times in his debut, connecting twice for 35 yards and a TD.

“He’s just got a knack for finding the open zone in coverage, and if it’s man-to-man he is so competitive he wants to win every time. With that kind of drive and that kind of talent he has, that’s when you get a real special player,” said Sanchez. “He’s still developing, he’s still learning a ton and he’s getting to do that while he’s playing. It’s been good to watch. And it was cool to throw my first touchdown to him. That was pretty exciting.”

Through eight games, Matthews has 32 receptions for 313 yards and three touchdowns. He’s on pace for 64 catches, which would rank second among Eagles rookies all-time behind only Keith Jackson.

“I still don’t feel like I’ve touched the surface of how good I can be in this offense and how good I can be in the slot,” said Matthews. “I appreciate Coach Kelly for the opportunity that he gave me, this is a great opportunity and I’m definitely going to make the most of it. When I look back on film from the first eight games, I’m like, 'I don’t know who that guy was.' These next eight games are going to be a lot better than that.”

We’ll see if getting reunited with his training camp QB helps in that effort.

dgreen said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
stells said:
The Matthews-Sanchez connection looks real. New WW pickup?
Reminiscent of Foles/Cooper last year.
It was one drive. He's looked less than impressive the rest of the game. Long way to go, though. I picked him up just because the offense as a whole. I'm not expecting anything amazing, though.
:lmao:

Wtf was the mathews hype prior to this week. I barely saw a single blurb about how sanchez loved him. I couldve used a wr. Instead i added adams. UGH

Users who are viewing this thread