What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine (1 Viewer)

Shooter still at large. He's apparently ex-military and a firearm trainer in the reserves so this dude is going to be hard to bring down :eek:

My daughter went to college in Maine and worked in Lewiston for a year after graduation. She still has a lot of friends there....very concerned for them. So awful.

There is nothing we can do about this.
Well of course there is, but we won't do it.
Nothing of substance has been done since these have become more and more common. We as a country have decided this is the cost of living in the US.
I wholeheartedly agree with your first statement GB, but I must have missed the national referendum you refer to in your second one (and yes I realize this isn't a democracy but rather a representative republic).

I think everybody is missing Desert_Powers's sarcasm, but that's what you get when you hang around these boards as often as I do.

My overwhelming emotion for these events for years was sadness, then for a while I was angry because we really aren't doing anything to stop these - now I'm just numb and don't even want to read about it.

My overwhelming emotion for these events for years was sadness, then for a while I was angry because we really aren't doing anything to stop these - now I'm just numb and don't even want to read about it.
I feel the same. Politically, I guess I’d say I lean right but damn I just hate where we are now. It seems like everything is so far on the opposite ends, no middle, that we can’t even discuss trying to fix stuff like this. You do get numb to it because it feels like the same story every time. In this day and age with all of the AI capabilities, it feels like we could literally comb through the mountains of data and actually flag people like this who are going to create these tragedies but we can’t because there’s no more middle ground.

I feel the same. Politically, I guess I’d say I lean right but damn I just hate where we are now. It seems like everything is so far on the opposite ends, no middle, that we can’t even discuss trying to fix stuff like this. You do get numb to it because it feels like the same story every time. In this day and age with all of the AI capabilities, it feels like we could literally comb through the mountains of data and actually flag people like this who are going to create these tragedies but we can’t because there’s no more middle ground.
I get what you are saying, but this shooter (like many) told people as much. We don't need extensive AI programs, we need the ability to listen and properly react when people are in crisis like this shooter clearly was.

If anybody tells me they’re going to shoot anyone I’m not stopping until I’ve done everything to get that person help, locked up or both. I’m not releasing them under any circumstance.

Who made the decision to let him go? Blood is directly on their hands.

If anybody tells me they’re going to shoot anyone I’m not stopping until I’ve done everything to get that person help, locked up or both. I’m not releasing them under any circumstance.

I wouldn't go this strong with the language - many times the people listening to them have their hands tied with the regulations and things they are able to do. No easy answers.

My point was more that reading about mass shooters - the vast majority tell somebody their intentions before the event.

Nothing of substance has been done since these have become more and more common. We as a country have decided this is the cost of

And step one is making sure this particular person has ZERO guns available to him/her.

And step one is making sure this particular person has ZERO guns available to him/her.
That's nearly impossible since guns are so easy to obtain illegally. When someone is hearing voices, is it legal to take away their guns in Maine.

I get what you are saying, but this shooter (like many) told people as much. We don't need extensive AI programs, we need the ability to listen and properly react when people are in crisis like this shooter clearly was.
Understood, but the algorithms will take the judgments out of the equation. I know, slippery slope to Orwell, but people saw these warning signs and nothing happened. All of these cases have warning signs when we look back but we need to be in front of it.

Honestly, I think what AI type data review would also provide us with a better wrapper around which people need to be watched and which are actually going to act. I think it’s also about trying to get more help out there so people don’t feel like they have to do this.

It’s not an easy situation but we’ve got nothing right now.

Nothing of substance has been done since these have become more and more common. We as a country have decided this is the cost of living in the US.
I wholeheartedly agree with your first statement GB, but I must have missed the national referendum you refer to in your second one (and yes I realize this isn't a democracy but rather a representative republic).
No referendum, just my conclusion based on part 1. I'm not so cynical to believe that we couldn't do something if we wanted to as a country, it's just not in the powers that be's best interests so here we are. Not that there weren't shootings before that, but we are nearing 25 years since Columbine and I honestly think the trend is worsening, not getting any better.

No referendum, just my conclusion based on part 1. I'm not so cynical to believe that we couldn't do something if we wanted to as a country, it's just not in the powers that be's best interests so here we are. Not that there weren't shootings before that, but we are nearing 25 years since Columbine and I honestly think the trend is worsening, not getting any better.
If you want gun control, you need a government that can maintain social order. People respond rationally to the government they have.

Mrs MoP who gets her news from places like FB had to tell me today that we have lost over 600 people to mass shootings in 2023 alone
That can't be true, can it?
Probably right, but 500 of those would be from "mass shootings" in the ghetto using handguns so they don't get as much publicity or political attention as the ones like this or the Nashville school shooting.
Yes, most of those numbers are from inner city violence. They aren't the same type of shooting as something like this either, but people try to lump them together. There are other reasons you are hinting at, but also frankly shooting like this is more unpredictable and happens everywhere in the country, so while being less common it scares more people and gets the attention. I live in small town WI - I would have to actively seek out a situation to be involved in an inner city Chicago type shooting. Something like we see here, though?

Again, not taking away the reality that is the war zone too many people live in and find their families in, just trying to make point about the coverage and others reasons for it.

At the very least I would take his guns away
But Maine as I have read doesn't have a red flag law on the books that would have allowed this. This guy is the the walking poster child for where such a law would have come in handy. He had been hospitalized for 2 weeks just this summer for hearing voices and threatening to shoot up a military base.

Mrs MoP who gets her news from places like FB had to tell me today that we have lost over 600 people to mass shootings in 2023 alone
Probably right, but 500 of those would be from "mass shootings" in the ghetto using handguns so they don't get as much publicity or political attention as the ones like this or the Nashville school shooting.
Yes, most of those numbers are from inner city violence. They aren't the same type of shooting as something like this either, but people try to lump them together. There are other reasons you are hinting at, but also frankly shooting like this is more unpredictable and happens everywhere in the country, so while being less common it scares more people and gets the attention. I live in small town WI - I would have to actively seek out a situation to be involved in an inner city Chicago type shooting. Something like we see here, though?

Again, not taking away the reality that is the war zone too many people live in and find their families in, just trying to make point about the coverage and others reasons for it.
Might want to look through the links I posted, I wouldn't say most of the numbers are from inner-city violence. Seems it's ALL over the place, not just tied to major metros.

Been saying for decades that states are going to have to step up here if anything meaningful is going to get done. These are sad, tragic, and completely senseless.

Might want to look through the links I posted, I wouldn't say most of the numbers are from inner-city violence. Seems it's ALL over the place, not just tied to major metros.
Very fair, I shouldn't have focused on inner city like that. There seems to be a distinct difference between types of shootings that are coded as mass shootings. One is like this - planned, big casualities, etc.. I am talking more like this/school/work/church type shooting. That has a very different MO than the other types you see on that list that are largely domestic, crime, and class related. There is a reason they are reported and talked about differently. Is that a little better wording?

you dont have to look very hard to see who opposes red flag laws brohans take that to the bank
Without getting this thread shut down for going political, one of the biggest opponents of these types of laws are law enforcement officers as they are the ones tasked to serve these orders. As someone who worked with many LE reps for over 30 years, I can tell you they knew that the chances of these things going bad were really high and hated them.

Plus one of the other large groups that are opposed to them are the ACLU because of the possible HIPAA rights violations such a law allows.

you dont have to look very hard to see who opposes red flag laws brohans take that to the bank
Without getting this thread shut down for going political, one of the biggest opponents of these types of laws are law enforcement officers as they are the ones tasked to serve these orders. As someone who worked with many LE reps for over 30 years, I can tell you they knew that the chances of these things going bad were really high and hated them.

Plus one of the other large groups that are opposed to them are the ACLU because of the possible HIPAA rights violations such a law allows.
yeah and the nra you know just so we say the obvious one

yeah and the nra you know just so we say the obvious one

Well that goes without saying, but I think a lot of us would like this thread to keep going here in the FFA for information about this situation. If people want to discuss gun control and political BS there are plenty of Reddit threads they can go join.

Very fair, I shouldn't have focused on inner city like that. There seems to be a distinct difference between types of shootings that are coded as mass shootings. One is like this - planned, big casualities, etc.. I am talking more like this/school/work/church type shooting. That has a very different MO than the other types you see on that list that are largely domestic, crime, and class related. There is a reason they are reported and talked about differently. Is that a little better wording?
Totally agree, and it's hard to gauge the real stats since it's not tracked that way. IMO there are deaths from gun violence that aren't mass shootings, even if more than 2 people are killed during the shooting. We should track these independently, at least IMO.

Totally agree, and it's hard to gauge the real stats since it's not tracked that way. IMO there are deaths from gun violence that aren't mass shootings, even if more than 2 people are killed during the shooting. We should track these independently, at least IMO.
It's all over the map on reporting too. Sometimes it's 4+, sometimes a different threshold. Sometimes the stats morph to deaths insteads of murder, things like that.

It's almost as though it's intentional so people can't have an educated, honest discussion about the issue. :oldunsure:

Yea this is the issue in our country. It's not the guns.

We lack common sense in our decisions as a society. We allow people access who should not have access......example, we had a perv teacher in our district moved around, tried to brush it under the rug......well now some kids are bringing a civil suit against him, **** is hitting the fan! No one wants to make the tough decision that is right......it's like when a parent doesn't do the tough thing with their kid on the front end......it becomes so much worse on the back end.

Our society is sick. We have people who don't want to work. Drugs are more accessible then they've ever been. We are allowing people who have bad intent to run rampant. We have lost our way, and I don't see it getting better.

Yea this is the issue in our country. It's not the guns.

We lack common sense in our decisions as a society. We allow people access who should not have access......example, we had a perv teacher in our district moved around, tried to brush it under the rug......well now some kids are bringing a civil suit against him, **** is hitting the fan! No one wants to make the tough decision that is right......it's like when a parent doesn't do the tough thing with their kid on the front end......it becomes so much worse on the back end.

Our society is sick. We have people who don't want to work. Drugs are more accessible then they've ever been. We are allowing people who have bad intent to run rampant. We have lost our way, and I don't see it getting better.
See, but I don't think we can say it's 100% NOT our love of and access to guns. For all this to be true, I would need way more proof that most countries in the world aren't also facing issues like you describe above. All around the world we can look and see countries struggling with similar things or worse, but what we don't see is the level of deaths we have.

If we can't admit that having a gun increases the ease we can kill each other and increases the death rate when incidents happen, I don't think we are having an honest discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread