What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Jones to sign soon ? (1 Viewer)

Stealthycat

Footballguy
Published Thu Jul 30 1:04:13 p.m. ET 2009

(TheHuddle) ESPNChicago.com reports unrestricted free-agent WR Matt Jones (Jaguars) said during a radio interview that his agent has spoken with the New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys. He believes he will sign with a team sooner rather than later.

Analysis: The Titans are hurting for receivers more than the Bears or Cowboys, so that's probably the team where Jones will land.
Assuming the above is accurate, anyone owning Matt Jones WR would probably be happiest seeing him go to Chicago with Cutler, right? Althougth the Jets aint a bad place for him either, I thought Dallas was out of the question? and the Titans ...... I'm not a Kerry Collins fan or V Young so thats like a WR wasteland to me :heart: Anyway, a big frosty beer :lmao: for Matt Jones to get back to the NFL and go for 80-1000-8 in 2009 baby yeah !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hearing that the Cowboys are the most likely home right now. Jerry Jones had said before that he wasn't interested but from what I hear the Cowboys are back in the mix and could do something by early next week. I agree that Chicago would seem the best location for his potential fantasy production but for some reason they haven't made a move yet.

I disagree with the analysis that the Titans are hurting at WR more than the Bears, but I guess that's open for debate. If I was Matt, I'd hope for the Ravens. The hole left by Mason and their controlled passing attack would fit well with his skill set.

I don't know maybe it's just me but I never saw the big deal with the guy...whole lotta hype and nothing but problems.

Banger said:
I don't know maybe it's just me but I never saw the big deal with the guy...whole lotta hype and nothing but problems.
played really well last season - the light finally went on. Off the field, sure, but on the field there is a ton of potential for this guy.

Banger said:
played really well last season - the light finally went on. Off the field, sure, but on the field there is a ton of potential for this guy.
once he decided to learn the playbook...I don't understand how you can't take a chance on him. Guy has great athletic ability that he wasn't using to his advantage. The Coke bust happened, woke him up, & he started doing/saying all the right things outside of having a few beers on the golf course. Plenty of potential here and he proved once he puts the right kinda work in, he can get it done.Bet Jerry Jones has changed his mind after M. Austin & S. Hurd failed to stay healthy during OTA's...I'd rather not see Jones there.Don't understand why Baltimore wouldn't sign him...I read an article not to long ago, that he has moved into a training facility and has been working his tail off while also taking mental conditioning exercises as well in order to keep/get his mind right. Expenses all paid out of his own pocket. Sure seems like the kid is taking his career seriously now because he knows he is out of chances

Since the Jets traditionally trot out the Smurf village as far as WRs are concerned, I would't mind seeing Jones as a Jet. With that said, over the years, the Jets players have been amazingly good boys considering they play in the largest media market (and get the most off-the-field media attention), so maybe they don't bite. I agree from a fantasy standpoint, nothing is better than Chicago for Mr. Jones...Dallas could work, but there is more competition there than in NY or Chicago.

Baltimore would be a good place, no doubt !

Why take WR Matt Jones ?

He missed 4 games in 2008

He had 65-750-2 for numbers ....... thats 77-1000-3 or so for 16 games

WITH GARRARD throwing him the ball ....... give him Romo or Cutler or Flacco and what COULD happen?

We'll see, I'm glad to have him on two of my dynasty teams to find out though

IDK. I see a guy that took YEARS to learn the playbook. Yes, he has the physical talent to be good. Too bad his mind can't keep up. Maybe if he kicked the drugs & alcohol... I'll pass.

IDK. I see a guy that took YEARS to learn the playbook. Yes, he has the physical talent to be good. Too bad his mind can't keep up. Maybe if he kicked the drugs & alcohol... I'll pass.
He's fine mentally.. he was the qb at arkansas for 4 years which IMO is proof that 1) he can pick up a playbook and 2)Why he hasn't put up stud numbers as a wr yet...heck in the majority of cases it takes guys who've played wr all their lives three seasons before they make a real impact at the pro level. Jones has spent just four years as a NFL wr so as far as I'm concerned he's where he should be.Personally I'd rather see him in dallas then chicago, the bears don't throw enough for me although I agree that the titans have the biggest need at wr of those four teams

He's fine mentally.. he was the qb at arkansas for 4 years which IMO is proof that 1) he can pick up a playbook and 2)Why he hasn't put up stud numbers as a wr yet...heck in the majority of cases it takes guys who've played wr all their lives three seasons before they make a real impact at the pro level. Jones has spent just four years as a NFL wr so as far as I'm concerned he's where he should be.Personally I'd rather see him in dallas then chicago, the bears don't throw enough for me although I agree that the titans have the biggest need at wr of those four teams
According to Garrard, he wasn't "that kind of QB." He was a physical specimen, but the interview last year alluded to the fact that Jones wasn't comfortable with the playcalling/playbook until just last year. Being an athelete/QB at Arkansas is not "proof" that he can pick up an NFL playbook.

I can't imagine what is going on in Baltimore. I just don't understand thier thinking. Jones would have seemed to be just a no-brainer solution to Baltimore's WR dilemna. To me, Jones was a much better choice at receiver than Bennett, who has seen his production tail off since 20004. Jones would have given Flacco a huge target that could well have made people forget about Derrick Mason.

And now that Bennett is done, Baltimore still doesn't appear to want to have anything to do with Matt Jones. I don't get it.

According to Garrard, he wasn't "that kind of QB." He was a physical specimen, but the interview last year alluded to the fact that Jones wasn't comfortable with the playcalling/playbook until just last year. Being an athelete/QB at Arkansas is not "proof" that he can pick up an NFL playbook.
that is because Jones didn't take the time to learn the playbook...once he did, he was fine. He also has a lot of room to improve since he's still learning the position

I believe he'll be a Jet.

They have every intention of starting Sanchez at QB.

Their WRs consist of Cotchery and ??? on the outside.

Could be Stuckey, but they'd prefer him in the slot. Could be Clowney, but outside of his speed he disappointed in the Spring. Both of those guys are young and have a lot to learn still. TE Keller will be a primary target, but again he's inexperienced going into just his 2nd year.

The Jets view themselves as a playoff contender, even with Sanchez starting (Ryan has made several comparisons to the Flacco situation last year). I think they'd love to have Matt Jones' experience and big target for Sanchez at the outside WR position opposite Cotchery, keep Stuckey in the slot, and bring Clowney in as a deep threat and clear out guy while giving him more time to develop.

Wadsworth said:
I'm hearing that the Cowboys are the most likely home right now. Jerry Jones had said before that he wasn't interested but from what I hear the Cowboys are back in the mix and could do something by early next week.
Wrong.Here's what Matt Jones' contact with the Cowboys consisted of:

Dave Butz, Jones' agent, contacted the Cowboys. He was told, as Jerry Jones said repeatedly this off-season, that the Cowboys aren't considering adding Jones to the receiver mix. End of story. He's not coming to Dallas, I can assure you.

And I do have confirmation on this.

Scratch the Cowboys from the list.

ETA: Of the remaining three, the Bears are the most logical team to bring him in and makes the most sense.

that is because Jones didn't take the time to learn the playbook...once he did, he was fine. He also has a lot of room to improve since he's still learning the position
Yes, once he did learn the playbook he was fine. He was better than fine, he was good. Some of his learning curve was route-running I'm sure, but I believe some was also poor comprehension. It's my opinion that he isn't that bright and will still be learning a new offense in his 2nd year. Add a possible drug issue and I don't like the total package.If Vernon Davis had a breakout year in '09, then got popped with coke, how high would you be on him for 2010?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see my Titans adding another player of questionable character and work ethic. Sure their WRs aren't strong, but Gage, Washington and Britt will be decent enough for what they're asked to do.

Wadsworth said:
I'm hearing that the Cowboys are the most likely home right now. Jerry Jones had said before that he wasn't interested but from what I hear the Cowboys are back in the mix and could do something by early next week. I agree that Chicago would seem the best location for his potential fantasy production but for some reason they haven't made a move yet.

I disagree with the analysis that the Titans are hurting at WR more than the Bears, but I guess that's open for debate. If I was Matt, I'd hope for the Ravens. The hole left by Mason and their controlled passing attack would fit well with his skill set.
Welcome to my life as a Bears fan. I took them 22 years to get a QB. How long will it take them to get a WR? Our last 1,000 yard receiver was Marty Booker, I think in 2002.

Yes, once he did learn the playbook he was fine. He was better than fine, he was good. Some of his learning curve was route-running I'm sure, but I believe some was also poor comprehension. It's my opinion that he isn't that bright and will still be learning a new offense in his 2nd year. Add a possible drug issue and I don't like the total package.If Vernon Davis had a breakout year in '09, then got popped with coke, how high would you be on him for 2010?
When somebody admits they haven't been studying like they should, then studies and does all the things they are told and produces...it's pretty much a no brainer that lack of effort from Matt's part was the culprit. You can't just get by in the NFL showing up for practice.Jones didn't have a breakout year and then get popped for coke. He got popped for coke and then had a breakout year. I think there is a big difference. He appeared to be taking his craft much more seriously than he had in the past because the coke bust woke him up. Now he is paying a lot of money to be trained by world class trainers for both mental & physical. I don't see how you don't see the difference. He's obviously a changed man (that used to be an immature millionaire)

Matt Jones should be signed by Miami. But I hope for Andy the Blogger he's signed by the Cowboys. Just cause I loathe the Cowboys. Except for Pat Watkins, he's ok.

Jeez, why do you guys keep saying Dallas and Jerry Jones?!?!They have repeatedly said they don't want him, including in the last 24 hours.Andy Herron has access to insiders, and he confirms this in post #16. Stop with the Dallas already!From FBG news blogger:

Cowboys | Still not interested in Matt Jones Thu Jul 30, 07:30 PMTim MacMahon, of the Dallas Morning News, reports that the Cowboys have indeed been in contact with Matt Jones agent - to tell them that they are still not interested. "We're very happy with our situation there (at WR)," Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones said.Our view: That leaves the Titans, Bears, and Jets from Jones list. We still expect him to play this year, and we think he proved he could be a starting quality WR last year.Link to story

When somebody admits they haven't been studying like they should, then studies and does all the things they are told and produces...it's pretty much a no brainer that lack of effort from Matt's part was the culprit. You can't just get by in the NFL showing up for practice.

Jones didn't have a breakout year and then get popped for coke. He got popped for coke and then had a breakout year. I think there is a big difference. He appeared to be taking his craft much more seriously than he had in the past because the coke bust woke him up. Now he is paying a lot of money to be trained by world class trainers for both mental & physical. I don't see how you don't see the difference. He's obviously a changed man (that used to be an immature millionaire)
All either one of us are doing is forming an opinion. Neither of us know him or what his issue is. Dumb or lazy, possible ongoing drug issue, or mid-life ressurection, it's all speculation. I have my opinion and I'm not so obtuse as to think my opinion is the only one or the best, but thought it was worth mentioning my observations. I don't agree with your assesment, but that doesn't mean I'm dismissing it either.

When somebody admits they haven't been studying like they should, then studies and does all the things they are told and produces...it's pretty much a no brainer that lack of effort from Matt's part was the culprit. You can't just get by in the NFL showing up for practice.

Jones didn't have a breakout year and then get popped for coke. He got popped for coke and then had a breakout year. I think there is a big difference. He appeared to be taking his craft much more seriously than he had in the past because the coke bust woke him up. Now he is paying a lot of money to be trained by world class trainers for both mental & physical. I don't see how you don't see the difference. He's obviously a changed man (that used to be an immature millionaire)
All either one of us are doing is forming an opinion. Neither of us know him or what his issue is. Dumb or lazy, possible ongoing drug issue, or mid-life ressurection, it's all speculation. I have my opinion and I'm not so obtuse as to think my opinion is the only one or the best, but thought it was worth mentioning my observations. I don't agree with your assesment, but that doesn't mean I'm dismissing it either.
have you read this? http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/footbal...lots_nfl_returnI'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but it sure seems to me like he's turned a corner. My opinion comes based off the stuff i've read which all makes sense to me when you consider his performance last year compared to previous. He went from that coke bust to proving to the team that he deserved to be the WR1

If I were the Denver Broncos, I would trade disgruntled Marshall to Baltimore for draft picks (and maybe an RB or two :coffee: ) and pick up Jones.

If I were the Denver Broncos, I would trade disgruntled Marshall to Baltimore for draft picks (and maybe an RB or two :unsure: ) and pick up Jones.
If Moreno looks to be a long holdout, that may not be a bad plan.Let the rookie sit for a year, and potentially lose his starting job. I'm in favour of that.

I'm hearing that the Cowboys are the most likely home right now. Jerry Jones had said before that he wasn't interested but from what I hear the Cowboys are back in the mix and could do something by early next week. I agree that Chicago would seem the best location for his potential fantasy production but for some reason they haven't made a move yet. I disagree with the analysis that the Titans are hurting at WR more than the Bears, but I guess that's open for debate. If I was Matt, I'd hope for the Ravens. The hole left by Mason and their controlled passing attack would fit well with his skill set.
I don't think Matt Jones is a Lovie Smith kind of player, plus I think the Bears like Hester and Bennett had a very good off season. Jones strikes me as fitting in with Dallas best as they like to take high profile head cases and give them another chance, but I think Tenn has the biggest need.

I don't think the Titans are interested unless he's cheap. Otherwise, feigningly interested to get Britt to sign and get going, may be more likely. Nate got more money than many people expected and they're commonly regarded as frugal. To spend a bunch on another WR just doesn't fit

If I were the Denver Broncos, I would trade disgruntled Marshall to Baltimore for draft picks (and maybe an RB or two :unsure: ) and pick up Jones.
Why trade one head case for another, especially when you are losing the more talented head case for a less talented one?

I like the Bronco suggesting with Marshall but I still think the Jags are the best spot for him. Outside of Holt the experience of the WRs is extremely minimal. In hindsight, agreeing to add a year to his existing contract last year or signing him to one more year probably would have been best.

I'm surprised Detroit hasn't come up with Schwarz having seen alot of him and plugging in these meh WRs to play with Megatron.

I think he will land in Chicago of the ones mentioned, Denver sounds like a possibility too. Another team not mentioned so far that I think he would excel on is San Diego.

If I were the Denver Broncos, I would trade disgruntled Marshall to Baltimore for draft picks (and maybe an RB or two :X ) and pick up Jones.
Why trade one head case for another, especially when you are losing the more talented head case for a less talented one?
1. Jones would probably be cheaper2. You get rid of the BIGGER head case3. You get picks

I think he will land in Chicago of the ones mentioned, Denver sounds like a possibility too. Another team not mentioned so far that I think he would excel on is San Diego.
Not sure about that. They wouldn't want to admit that the Hester experiment had failed. They drafted Bennett fairly high (3rd round) and I think they want to give him a shot. They still have Davis, and drafted 3 rookies (2 with relatively high expectations I would assume); Knox, Iglesias, and Kinder. If they get Jones, whoe would they sit? Would they be stifling the develoment of these young receivers? Would Jones be THAT much better than them? Risky.

I'm hearing that the Cowboys are the most likely home right now. Jerry Jones had said before that he wasn't interested but from what I hear the Cowboys are back in the mix and could do something by early next week.

Dave Butz, Jones' agent, contacted the Cowboys. He was told, as Jerry Jones said repeatedly this off-season, that the Cowboys aren't considering adding Jones to the receiver mix. End of story. He's not coming to Dallas, I can assure you.

ETA: Of the remaining three, the Bears are the most logical team to bring him in and makes the most sense.
Interesting. Thanks for the information. I heard a very different story from a good local source that has been extremely accurate in Matt Jones matters in the past. But you've been pretty spot on with Cowboys information in the past yourself so I have no reason to dispute it. I can say that Matt is in great shape, ran a 4.40 very recently and has put on a good deal of muscle mass on his upper body. Where ever he signs, I'm going to keep a close eye on him for fantasy purposes. There's a lot of sleeper potential in this situation.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I heard a very different story from a good local source that has been extremely accurate in Matt Jones matters in the past. But you've been pretty spot on with Cowboys information in the past yourself so I have no reason to dispute it. I can say that Matt is in great shape, ran a 4.40 very recently and has put on a good deal of muscle mass on his upper body. Where ever he signs, I'm going to keep a close eye on him for fantasy purposes. There's a lot of sleeper potential in this situation.
I'm getting the same reports that Matt has been really putting his nose to the grindstone in preparing himself both mentally and physically for an opportunity to return to the field for "somebody." That said, and I have no reason to doubt it, the Cowboys are not in the market for a WR of any kind. I don't want to repeat myself, as I've covered this issue in the Cowboys thread extensively over the last few months as many Cowboys fans had been chiming in and itching for his services. The Cowboys are set at WR. What affords them to stand pat is what they have in Witten and Martellus Bennett at TE and their three RBs. Do not underestimate Bennett, as he will be used in multiple formations and positions this season and become a tremendous thorn in the side for many defenses.And I appreciate the recognition and kudos.

Thank you. Not enough of that is found for "anybody" in this forum.

Best wishes on a good season.

3nOut said:
waveman said:
Not sure about that. They wouldn't want to admit that the Hester experiment had failed. They drafted Bennett fairly high (3rd round) and I think they want to give him a shot. They still have Davis, and drafted 3 rookies (2 with relatively high expectations I would assume); Knox, Iglesias, and Kinder. If they get Jones, whoe would they sit? Would they be stifling the develoment of these young receivers? Would Jones be THAT much better than them? Risky.
I would drop davis in a heart beat for Jones. Jones probably a major upgrade. Then move bennett into davis spot.

why not Tampa? Antonio Bryant reclamation worked for them. Mike Clayton hasn't been the same since his rookie season. Stovall is perennial disappointment and Hilliard has moved on. Not sure how there WR's will break down, but maybe they are gonna run the wishbone with Ward, Graham, & Williams (since he's rumored to have a shot at returning sooner than later). Edited: I'm only slightly kidding, but I do think we see 2 TE, 1 WR groupings with Winslow split out wide a bit.

whatever.He is 6'6 with WHEELZ and a former qb (for knowledge of the position). He was the go to guy for Jax last year till he went down, and was on his way to being a top 25-30 WR until injury.

I'd like to see Carolina take a shot. Moose isn't getting any younger and Jarrett in his 3rd year looks as lost as he did his first year.

I would guess the asking $$$ is what is preventing Jones and Harrison from being signed at the moment. Just from a pure talent/productivity standpoint, both are probably better than most of the #3 WR's currently on the bulk of the teams in the NFL. Harrison I'm sure will keep the price high and if no one calls then he'll retire. Jones on the otherhand, I would guess may be more willing to come down in asking salary since he still should have a long career potentially ahead of him (barring he can stay out of trouble).

Users who are viewing this thread