What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mayweather/MacGregor--August 26, Las Vegas (2 Viewers)

That's not the way it works -- heavier / bigger gloves = more force and harder punches, and also easier to cover / defend. A bare knuckle punch has way less concussive force than a gloved punch. The gloves are to protect hands, not the target.
That's not correct. Sure, gloves protect the hands. But the smaller the surface area the bigger the force. The same punch with an MMA glove as opposed to a boxing glove will cause much more damage.

That's not correct. Sure, gloves protect the hands. But the smaller the surface area the bigger the force. The same punch with an MMA glove as opposed to a boxing glove will cause much more damage.
I've heard differently from guys that I somewhat know here locally re: getting hit flush with both types of gloves. Can't speak from experience however, so I'm pretty far from an expert.

I've heard differently from guys that I somewhat know here locally re: getting hit flush with both types of gloves. Can't speak from experience however, so I'm pretty far from an expert.
My guess is the bigger gloves = less damage. ####boy Sugar Ray Leonard demanded larger gloves when fighting Hagler.

Boxing gloves are more prone to tear at the skin given the amount of skin they come in contact to from each punch as well. MMA gloves were designed to create faster knockouts by having less coverage of the hands to reduce tearing, but with something more solid (bone) behind the shot. Keep in mind, the lighter MMA glove weight also produces faster punches, so the overall impact is likely negligible vs. the outcome each produces. McGregor couldn't overlook the difference in weight impacting his hand speed either.

I've been doing Muay Thai and boxing for about five years now, and I've been hit with both in sparring sessions. The MMA gloves hurt a lot more.

The MMA gloves are more likely to cut you and bruise you up, but the boxing gloves are more likely to concuss / KO you.    

And I'm on record saying this fight won't happen -- but playing "what if..." for a minute -- IF this fight does happen, I bet we never see CmG in the Octagon afterwards.   

AhrnCityPahnder said:
The MMA gloves are more likely to cut you and bruise you up, but the boxing gloves are more likely to concuss / KO you.    

And I'm on record saying this fight won't happen -- but playing "what if..." for a minute -- IF this fight does happen, I bet we never see CmG in the Octagon afterwards.   
I disagree again. I can get on board with boxing gloves being more likely to concuss you because you can absorb more hits with boxing gloves so your brain just consistently gets rattled. With MMA gloves you would be knocked out so you wouldn't absorb all those blows.

It's like skis. The force on the snow is much less when it is spread out over the skis, so you stay on top of the snow. With just your foot, it would sink right through. The same force spread over a bigger area = less force on each spot. 

I disagree again. I can get on board with boxing gloves being more likely to concuss you because you can absorb more hits with boxing gloves so your brain just consistently gets rattled. With MMA gloves you would be knocked out so you wouldn't absorb all those blows.

It's like skis. The force on the snow is much less when it is spread out over the skis, so you stay on top of the snow. With just your foot, it would sink right through. The same force spread over a bigger area = less force on each spot. 
I agree with all of that, but the net result is still being all of the force is being applies to your head (assuming that's where you get hit.)

If you were getting hit with a 6 foot cushion and your entire body being jarred then your ski analogy would work.  MMA vs Boxing glove, either way all of the force is going into jarring your head.   The heavier blow (given the same punching power) will ring your bell more.   

Edit:  I'm probably not explaining my point well.   More force on a smaller area is more damaging to THAT SPECIFIC AREA (superficially).  but that's not how you get concussed.   You get concussed by your head getting jarred.    And also, there's a couple different type of KOs.  The neck snapping KO from a cross or a hook that hits you on the chin and turns you (think about hendo V bisping 1) -- those may be more likely given MMA gloves because you may be more likely to get a crack/whip action on your jaw with a smaller glove.  But the JDS/Cain KO where you get hit behind the ear your brain bounces -- I'd argue those are more likely with boxing gloves vs MMA gloves.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all of that, but the net result is still being all of the force is being applies to your head (assuming that's where you get hit.)

If you were getting hit with a 6 foot cushion and your entire body being jarred then your ski analogy would work.  MMA vs Boxing glove, either way all of the force is going into jarring your head.   The heavier blow (given the same punching power) will ring your bell more.   

Edit:  I'm probably not explaining my point well.   More force on a smaller area is more damaging to THAT SPECIFIC AREA (superficially).  but that's not how you get concussed.   You get concussed by your head getting jarred.    And also, there's a couple different type of KOs.  The neck snapping KO from a cross or a hook that hits you on the chin and turns you (think about hendo V bisping 1) -- those may be more likely given MMA gloves because you may be more likely to get a crack/whip action on your jaw with a smaller glove.  But the JDS/Cain KO where you get hit behind the ear your brain bounces -- I'd argue those are more likely with boxing gloves vs MMA gloves.  
I agree for the most part with this too. We are probably saying pretty close to the same thing.

But I would say this - if you had one punch to knock someone out with and you could pick your glove, I'd take MMA gloves 100 times out of 100 and go for the jaw. But, if your goal was to cause brain damage or a concussion, I would take the boxing gloves.

The gloves are negligible. 

This fight makes all the sense in the world for Conor. Nobody expects him to win. If he does, he's a legend. If he loses he walks with generational wealth. 

Fight will end in controversy.  McGregor throws an illegal kick or something and gets disqualified. 

It might make me a moron, but if it happens, I'm definitely buying it.  No question about it.  I'm mostly gonna watch to see what a world class boxer does to a guy who's not a boxer.   There are very few possible outcomes that would disappoint me.

It might make me a moron, but if it happens, I'm definitely buying it.  No question about it.  I'm mostly gonna watch to see what a world class boxer does to a guy who's not a boxer.   There are very few possible outcomes that would disappoint me.
it's probably going to end up an easy sparring session for Floyd, but i'll definitely be watching.

Gotta think it will be one of the biggest PPV events ever.

I still don't think it will happen because neither side will cave and be the 'B side'.

Edit - and FM won't agree to halvesies

I still don't think it will happen because neither side will cave and be the 'B side'.

Edit - and FM won't agree to halvesies
McGreggor would be nuts to not settle for less than 50/50.  even at 70/30 he'd make more than his next 10 UFC fights.

Not a big fan of the anonymous bet on the internet schtick. I'll admit that I was wrong if it gets signed, though. But I'm still very confident that it won't.
I'm not anonymous, but I will paypal the money to Rude or Clayton or if you prefer I can hand it to Getzlap15 when we room at the WSOP in 2 weeks.

Too much money to leave on the table, all this talk doesn't help UFC at all.
Again, too much money for who? McGregor? Sure. Floyd? Uhhhh no -- it won't be even 1/4 of his Pacquiao payday. The UFC? Again, no -- unless Floyd lets them promote it, which he has no reason to do.

if the UFC puts a contract in front of Mayweather that he actually signs, I'll eat crow. But getting McGregor to sign is the easy part; of course he wants this fight. It'll be more than he'll make the rest of his career combined. Mayweather is a different story entirely.

No dog in the fight, but CdL has it right. McGregor coming to terms with his own freakin' promoter was never the stumbling block, and this is transparent posturing by the UFC side. Now we got Dana White showing up on an NBA broadcast to announce this like it's a huge development? Give me a ####### break.

PS. @EYLive the top stories on your Google link are a whole lot more entertaining now, a few hours later.

Conor hasn't fought since November, he is going to have to committ to be on a card soon.   Boxing or UFC.

He should -- I agree. But he's calling the shots on that, obviously. He kept the FW belt forever while he fought meaningless fights against Diaz at WW, then jumped the line at LW too. He doesn't have to play by the rules at all.
I think the other fighters at 155 will have influence.  He gave up the FW belt just less than a year after winning it but fought 3 times.   He has not fought since winning the MW belt in November.  

Dana said he doesn't want to do this and he is only doing it because Conor wants too and Conor has been so good for the UFC that Conor deserves it if that is what he wants.

I think the other fighters at 155 will have influence.  He gave up the FW belt just less than a year after winning it but fought 3 times.   He has not fought since winning the MW belt in November.  
We'll see who he eventually fights. My guess is it's Diaz III or the WW champ if it's not still Woodley or another wrestler. No way in hell he fights Khabib. I'd bet he dodges Ferguson too.

No dog in the fight, but CdL has it right. McGregor coming to terms with his own freakin' promoter was never the stumbling block, and this is transparent posturing by the UFC side. Now we got Dana White showing up on an NBA broadcast to announce this like it's a huge development? Give me a ####### break.

PS. @EYLive the top stories on your Google link are a whole lot more entertaining now, a few hours later.
It's brilliant promotion, all the way around. Every few weeks this year, one side or the other drops a nugget and chums the waters, every time the mainstream sports media (and most niche combat sports media) lap it up. Because Mayweather = clicks, McGregor = clicks. And for every honest/legit sports journalism site that calls BS, there are several who are completely complicit in the con, including the Mothership. I don't know much about the MMA side of the street, but there are some legit boxing matches that could use 1/10th of this build-up.

I would bet heavily that it's going to happen. It's light work for Mayweather, and it's very likely a nine-figure payday for doing so. Secondarily, he gets to an even 50-0, I guess. But all indications are that he's serious about it, as he should be for the kind of money that it's going to create. And for as much money as Mayweather is sitting on, his burn rate has to be incredibly high, as his love for depreciating assets, things like cars, watches, etc.

He also, apparently, got swindled  this year for a ####-ton of money. This also happened in 2007, when some con artist cleaned him out.

The fight itself is hard to cap, as it's hard to know what shape his hands are in, and if he's going to be willing to step on the gas and get McGregor out of there. He doesn't appear to take any extra satisfaction from a stoppage, and he's barely ever knocked anyone out since he moved to welterweight/super-welterweight. I think the odds could get absurdly short on him very close to fight time, which is when it'd be ideal to pounce. Just, please, don't pay for this garbage.

This will happen, Floyd set to make 100 million plus probably 50% of the ppv money which with his lifestyle he needs

This will happen, Floyd set to make 100 million plus probably 50% of the ppv money which with his lifestyle he needs
Not a chance in hell that the UFC sets a precedent that blows up their entire pay scale by giving Floyd $100 million and 50% of the PPV -- come on man. It would ruin their entire business model. The absolute top of their scale is a couple million and a few PPV points -- and plenty of their champions make a few $100K. Can you imagine what would happen next time they try to sign one of their top guys after giving a deal like that to Floyd?

It's brilliant promotion, all the way around. Every few weeks this year, one side or the other drops a nugget and chums the waters, every time the mainstream sports media (and most niche combat sports media) lap it up. Because Mayweather = clicks, McGregor = clicks. And for every honest/legit sports journalism site that calls BS, there are several who are completely complicit in the con, including the Mothership. I don't know much about the MMA side of the street, but there are some legit boxing matches that could use 1/10th of this build-up.

I would bet heavily that it's going to happen. It's light work for Mayweather, and it's very likely a nine-figure payday for doing so. Secondarily, he gets to an even 50-0, I guess. But all indications are that he's serious about it, as he should be for the kind of money that it's going to create. And for as much money as Mayweather is sitting on, his burn rate has to be incredibly high, as his love for depreciating assets, things like cars, watches, etc.

He also, apparently, got swindled  this year for a ####-ton of money. This also happened in 2007, when some con artist cleaned him out.

The fight itself is hard to cap, as it's hard to know what shape his hands are in, and if he's going to be willing to step on the gas and get McGregor out of there. He doesn't appear to take any extra satisfaction from a stoppage, and he's barely ever knocked anyone out since he moved to welterweight/super-welterweight. I think the odds could get absurdly short on him very close to fight time, which is when it'd be ideal to pounce. Just, please, don't pay for this garbage.
That kind of money going to a fighter simply doesn't exist in MMA. I know that this would be a boxing match, but the UFC is still going to insist on being a major player in the promotion of the fight, and they don't pay fighters anywhere near those amounts. Even McGregor probably barely hits 8 figures, if even makes that much (he got $3 million for the 2nd Diaz fight, and even that number lit the MMA world on fire and has created big problems with the other fighters on the roster). The UFC heavyweight champion just made $690K to defend his title this past weekend. Yes, they probably make more in undisclosed income (bonuses and PPV points), but it's nowhere remotely close to what Mayweather makes even in his least lucrative fights.

That is the problem that I see with getting this fight signed. Floyd will obviously insist on getting the $ that he always does, and will insist on handling the promotion as well, like he always does. The UFC has no incentive to let McGregor fight unless they are promoting the fight and controlling things (because after all, it's the face of their organization that's going to be made to look like a fool if it actually happens), and they can't give Floyd $100 million or something and then sit down at the table with a Stipe Miocic, a Michael Bisping, or a Jon Jones (if he comes back) and go back to offering them a million or so (or less). It would create even more chaos and bad blood among their fighters than is already present. The UFC actually still has top-10 fighters fighting on the main card of PPV events making like $20K -- I just don't see any way that they will be willing to make Floyd an offer anywhere near what he is used to, or what he would accept. And if they did, it would create more problems than it would solve for them in the long run.

ETA: I absolutely agree that it is brilliant promotion by both sides, keeping both guys names in the media and generating interest and clicks for both of them, while actually doing nothing. Both sides can easily back away, too, without any harm, by just blaming the other guy for wanting too much $ / not offering them enough. Good business by all parties, even if it never happens.

this is correct.

CDL you don't seem to get that this is not a UFC fight, it is a boxing match.  UFC isn't giving Floyd anything, they are only letting Conor out of his contract to do this.

CDL you don't seem to get that this is not a UFC fight, it is a boxing match.  UFC isn't giving Floyd anything, they are only letting Conor out of his contract to do this.
This isn't true. It's not a MMA fight, but Conor signed a contract with the UFC to fight Mayweather in a boxing match. He didn't sign anything with Mayweather Promotions, nor will the UFC let him.

This isn't true. It's not a MMA fight, but Conor signed a contract with the UFC to fight Mayweather in a boxing match. He didn't sign anything with Mayweather Promotions, nor will the UFC let him.
Obviously you have listened to White or ignored what he said.  Stay in the lane brother, never move or understand.

Users who are viewing this thread