What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mayweather/MacGregor--August 26, Las Vegas (2 Viewers)

Obviously you have listened to White or ignored what he said.  Stay in the lane brother, never move or understand.
Obviously you haven't listened to Dana White enough to figure out that you can always safely completely ignore whatever comes out of his mouth. He's doing his job and keeping his fighter's name in the media, that's all.

Remember when Anderson Silva and White were going on about a Silva - Roy Jones Jr. boxing match?

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously you haven't listened to Dana White enough to figure out that you can always safely completely ignore whatever comes out of his mouth. He's doing his job and keeping his fighter's name in the media, that's all.
Well I guess we can disagree here too, I see no benefit to the UFC with all this talk about boxing

Not a chance in hell that the UFC sets a precedent that blows up their entire pay scale by giving Floyd $100 million and 50% of the PPV -- come on man. It would ruin their entire business model. The absolute top of their scale is a couple million and a few PPV points -- and plenty of their champions make a few $100K. Can you imagine what would happen next time they try to sign one of their top guys after giving a deal like that to Floyd?
This is a very unique event.  I'll be shocked if McGregor doesn't make a minimum of 25 million and floyd much more if the fight happens.

Could be wrong, but i really don't think this fight will be setting any precedents or ruin their business model at all.

This is a highly profitable freak show, not a standard MMA fight. 

CDL you don't seem to get that this is not a UFC fight, it is a boxing match.  UFC isn't giving Floyd anything, they are only letting Conor out of his contract to do this.
The UFC isn't letting Conor out of his contract in the slightest. That would implicate that Conor would be free to negotiate directly with Mayweather, which isn't the case. The only allowance the UFC is making is that Conor, a UFC fighter, would be allowed to engage in a non-UFC fight, but with the UFC most certainly angling to co-promote it. It will still be the UFC negotiating with Mayweather, and therein lies the problem.

With that said, I do agree that arguing about the impact it would have on the UFC's pay structure is a little off-base. 

The UFC isn't letting Conor out of his contract in the slightest. That would implicate that Conor would be free to negotiate directly with Mayweather, which isn't the case. The only allowance the UFC is making is that Conor, a UFC fighter, would be allowed to engage in a non-UFC fight, but with the UFC most certainly angling to co-promote it. It will still be the UFC negotiating with Mayweather, and therein lies the problem.

With that said, I do agree that arguing about the impact it would have on the UFC's pay structure is a little off-base. 
Eh, I don't know that it's off base. If you're Stipe Miocic, you're not going to hold the UFC's feet over the fire over your < $1 million payday after they give Mayweather $100 million or something? McGregor's (much, much lower) salary has already been pretty hugely disruptive, with a ton of guys making a ton of noise about money fights etc. It's pretty completely ruined the MW division for one, with Bisping refusing thus far to defend against legitimate contenders and fighting Dan Henderson and angling for a GSP fight. Effing Tyron Woodley is a totally "blah" boring fighter for a champion, and he has made serious noise about money and opponent demands. Same with Ferguson over his purse, and before he was one of the most active and exciting fighters on the entire roster. It's definitely had a major effect, and IMO this would accelerate that hugely.

Well I guess we can disagree here too, I see no benefit to the UFC with all this talk about boxing
Agree to disagree again. I see a pretty solid benefit to keeping their guy and organization at the top of the mainstream sports world headlines. And in down the road, being able to say (even if inaccurately) "our guy signed, but Floyd was chicken$hit."

Agree to disagree again. I see a pretty solid benefit to keeping their guy and organization at the top of the mainstream sports world headlines. And in down the road, being able to say (even if inaccurately) "our guy signed, but Floyd was chicken$hit."
But he's sitting at home without a fight scheduled, this ain't promoting crap.

It's like talking about the Yankees in January, just doesn't matter.

But he's sitting at home without a fight scheduled, this ain't promoting crap.
They're using it to sell more than his next fight IMO. The sport itself is still on the fringes of the mainstream for the most part. McGregor is one of the few fighters ever who can push MMA into the mainstream sports headlines and consciousness (along with Liddell, GSP, Lesnar, and Rousey). It makes people watching Sportscenter or reading foxsports.com more aware of the UFC overall.

They're using it to sell more than his next fight IMO. The sport itself is still on the fringes of the mainstream for the most part. McGregor is one of the few fighters ever who can push MMA into the mainstream sports headlines and consciousness (along with Liddell, GSP, Lesnar, and Rousey). It makes people watching Sportscenter or reading foxsports.com more aware of the UFC overall.
I get what you are saying I just don't agree.  5 to 10 years ago I probably purchased 8 events a year, now I can't remember last one I bought.

Eh, I don't know that it's off base. If you're Stipe Miocic, you're not going to hold the UFC's feet over the fire over your < $1 million payday after they give Mayweather $100 million or something? McGregor's (much, much lower) salary has already been pretty hugely disruptive, with a ton of guys making a ton of noise about money fights etc. It's pretty completely ruined the MW division for one, with Bisping refusing thus far to defend against legitimate contenders and fighting Dan Henderson and angling for a GSP fight. Effing Tyron Woodley is a totally "blah" boring fighter for a champion, and he has made serious noise about money and opponent demands. Same with Ferguson over his purse, and before he was one of the most active and exciting fighters on the entire roster. It's definitely had a major effect, and IMO this would accelerate that hugely.
Conor's UFC money has certainly affected how UFC fighters feel they should be paid, yes. This Floyd fight is not even MMA, though. It's something else entirely, and for as much as I LOVE seeing fighters fighting for better pay, they wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on asking to be paid like boxers.

I get what you are saying I just don't agree.  5 to 10 years ago I probably purchased 8 events a year, now I can't remember last one I bought.
I'm actually the same way. I used to buy or go to the bar and watch every single event. Now it's a few times a year and find some youtube videos the next day to see what happened. But it's really not about us (the couple of hundred thousand longtime fans) for them, it's more about the casual fans. They're the ones that can push the PPV numbers toward and over a million where the huge margins are.

Judge Smails said:
It would be one of the most boring fights of all time but we'd all be suckered into buying it.  
#### no. I won't even pay $20 to go to a bar to watch it. And I appreciate Mayweather stylistically, even pitty-pat late-career Mayweather.

I'll catch it later via download or illegally stream it. I'm sure I'll have money on it. But I'm not gonna get rooked into paying for this thing. If I could only watch this or Brook/Spence next week, I'd pick the latter ten times out of ten. 

The gloves are negligible. 

This fight makes all the sense in the world for Conor. Nobody expects him to win. If he does, he's a legend. If he loses he walks with generational wealth. 

Fight will end in controversy.  McGregor throws an illegal kick or something and gets disqualified. 

This is what I think will happen and it will lead to another fight.

This is what I think will happen and it will lead to another fight.
CM was gassed in round 2 vs Nate.  No way he can last 12 vs Mayweather.  If he doesn't knock him down with a punches chance in the first 3-4 rounds, his face is going to get peppered all night long.

That kind of money going to a fighter simply doesn't exist in MMA. I know that this would be a boxing match, but the UFC is still going to insist on being a major player in the promotion of the fight, and they don't pay fighters anywhere near those amounts. Even McGregor probably barely hits 8 figures, if even makes that much (he got $3 million for the 2nd Diaz fight, and even that number lit the MMA world on fire and has created big problems with the other fighters on the roster). The UFC heavyweight champion just made $690K to defend his title this past weekend. Yes, they probably make more in undisclosed income (bonuses and PPV points), but it's nowhere remotely close to what Mayweather makes even in his least lucrative fights.

That is the problem that I see with getting this fight signed. Floyd will obviously insist on getting the $ that he always does, and will insist on handling the promotion as well, like he always does. The UFC has no incentive to let McGregor fight unless they are promoting the fight and controlling things (because after all, it's the face of their organization that's going to be made to look like a fool if it actually happens), and they can't give Floyd $100 million or something and then sit down at the table with a Stipe Miocic, a Michael Bisping, or a Jon Jones (if he comes back) and go back to offering them a million or so (or less). It would create even more chaos and bad blood among their fighters than is already present. The UFC actually still has top-10 fighters fighting on the main card of PPV events making like $20K -- I just don't see any way that they will be willing to make Floyd an offer anywhere near what he is used to, or what he would accept. And if they did, it would create more problems than it would solve for them in the long run.

ETA: I absolutely agree that it is brilliant promotion by both sides, keeping both guys names in the media and generating interest and clicks for both of them, while actually doing nothing. Both sides can easily back away, too, without any harm, by just blaming the other guy for wanting too much $ / not offering them enough. Good business by all parties, even if it never happens.
You don't understand the economics of this at all

No way am I paying for this, but will definitely watch for the spectacle.

Now I wonder if certain individuals from this thread will show up and admit that they had no insider information and were merely talking out of their ###.

And here we are. Short run up from official announcement to fight, they had to jump in front of the ggg/canelo fight, which took their sept date.

Still, dont pay for this.
I'll pay for it, but I bet it's just going to be two guys dancing around a bunch and not doing much. Mayweather wins the decision.

I'll pay for it, but I bet it's just going to be two guys dancing around a bunch and not doing much. Mayweather wins the decision.
I have no problem dropping a benjamin for this.  It can't be much worse than Manny fight.

Lines have been up for awhile. It's around +700/-1100. Mayweather KO is a slight favorite (5/6) over Mayweather decision (5/4) at PaddyPower.
The line has dropped quite a bit from the start, I expect it to drop even more as the UFC fans talk themselves into wagering.  I'll wait until fight week to bet Mayweather; will not be more specific re KO vs decision.

I'll go out on a limb and say Mayweather by decision and everyone will say the fight sucked.
May will win, it will be boring.  KO or UD up to however much May wants the KO, which is probably not much all things considered.

If you're going to pay for only one late summer fight, make it Canelo-GGG. 

Never thought this would happen, and am shocked.  No idea why Dana White would want this, unless he had no choice.  It won't go 12.  Top pros go 12 because Floyd respects them, this goes as long as Floyd wants it to.  

Never thought this would happen, and am shocked.  No idea why Dana White would want this, unless he had no choice.  It won't go 12.  Top pros go 12 because Floyd respects them, this goes as long as Floyd wants it to.  
If this were to happen.  When Floyd wants to end this silly game, he will do so and Connor M will wake up when a doctor in his face making sure he doesn't need to go to the hospital.

My guess would be it doesn't count as a rival promotion and doesn't breach his contract. What could Dana do to stop it?

White doubled down on his comments late Wednesday when asked if the fight will happen during an appearance on the TBS late night show Conan.

“I do. I do think it’s going to happen,” White said. “I think it’s going to be a tough deal because obviously there’s a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. But on the flip side, there’s so much money involved, I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/dana-white-changes-tune-wont-stop-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-superfight/
Bump for people that don't read the thread and ask questions that are answered.  ;)

“[McGregor] obviously has a lot of opportunities right now,” White said. “Tony Ferguson is out there. You know, the Floyd Mayweather thing is out there. We’ll see how this thing plays out. [The Mayweather fight] doesn’t make a lot of sense for my business, but I would never keep Conor from making that kind of money.”

My prediction : McG lands a big shot, perhaps sending Mayweather to the canvas to make the fight close/intriguing enough for a 2nd payday (rematch).  They fight twice, make a fortune twice, and Mayweather keeps his undefeated record in tact.   McGregor respected for making the first fight entertaining and being willing to box against Mayweather.   

Edit to add : this is  :tinfoilhat: / Marcellus Wallace / infowars   version 

this whole thing is a clown show. but here's how they can make the most of it...

they go back and forth for several rounds, with Floyd obviously winning the fight. at some point, Conor 'forgets' this isn't MMA, and knocks out Floyd with a roundhouse kick to the temple. in the ensuing chaos, Justin Bieber runs into the ring and hits Conor with a chair. then Steve Austin runs in and hits Biebs with the Stone Cold Stunner and flips off the crowd.

everybody wins.

My prediction : McG lands a big shot, perhaps sending Mayweather to the canvas to make the fight close/intriguing enough for a 2nd payday (rematch).  They fight twice, make a fortune twice, and Mayweather keeps his undefeated record in tact.   McGregor respected for making the first fight entertaining and being willing to box against Mayweather.   
zero percent chance.  Floyd knocks him out halfway through the first.  McG has no idea what he is in for. 

this whole thing is a clown show. but here's how they can make the most of it...

they go back and forth for several rounds, with Floyd obviously winning the fight. at some point, Conor 'forgets' this isn't MMA, and knocks out Floyd with a roundhouse kick to the temple. in the ensuing chaos, Justin Bieber runs into the ring and hits Conor with a chair. then Steve Austin runs in and hits Biebs with the Stone Cold Stunner and flips off the crowd.

everybody wins.
Feel like this needs a powerbomb in here somewhere

everybody wins.
^ Best case scenario

Users who are viewing this thread