What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seahawks Michael Bennett threatened by police (1 Viewer)

Sweet,  implying someone is a racist.  This firun has gone to crap. 
Oh yeah, it's long gone because of nut jobs like Dedfin. Only reason to check the politics forum is to monitor current levels of insanity. 

Who is dumb Shick and why would anyone be playing him?
:hey:

I'm a bit gullible and a hot-head? Turn-ons are stud RBs, the color blue, his holiness the Dalai Lama, sprint cars on clay short tracks, Kay Adams, and statisticky things. Turn-offs are BGP, fucla, intolerance, evangelicals,  atheists that don't realize they're the other side of that coin, and most people watching FOX news. Nice to meet yinz (Its a PA thing from my childhood). 

Dirty Jersey taking it to quite an embarrassing level. Dear lord. 
So wait, in your myopic world view, anyone who gives someone the benefit of the doubt, and leaves open all possibilities before the facts are known, is a bleeding heart liberal?

Sweet,  implying someone is a racist.  This firun has gone to crap. 
i am also disappointed with the crapness of firuns other things i care about are ferns and funyons so i hear you brohan take that to the bank

Of course there's a difference between detaining someone and arresting them. Detaining someone involves a brief stop in order to ask a few questions. A pat down to make sure the person has no weapons would probably be considered still just a detention too. Henry Ford discussed this earlier--a Terry Stop. But once you move or confine someone you have arrested them.
Did we ever get to the bottom of this?  This lawyer disagrees with you unless I'm missing the point you and HF are making.

http://www.cosleycriminaldefense.com/criminal-blog/2016/08/24/retail-theft-detained-vs-arrested/

Store Security and Employees Have Limitations

While store employees and security have the legal ability to hold a shoplifting suspect, their ability to do so is limited under the law. You can be detained by a store’s security or employees on for a reasonable length of time and in a reasonable manner. Store security is not required to read you your rights, wait for a parent or guardian, or wait for a lawyer before questioning a suspected shoplifter. However, police are required to do these things when you are placed under arrest.

Detention can occur either on or off of the merchant’s premises. During the detention, security may:

• Request you to identify yourself,
  • Verify your identity,
  • Inquire about whether you have in your possession merchandise that you have not purchased, and do not intend to pay for,
  • Report you to the authorities, and
  • Attempt to contact your parents or guardian if you are a minor.
Each of these is at the merchant’s discretion. In the case of a minor, the merchant is not required to contact his or her parents before handing the minor over to law enforcement.

Detention is not the same as being arrested – only the police are capable of arresting you. Stores sometimes choose to let a suspect go and not press charges. Many stores simply ban an individual accused of shoplifting from ever entering the store again. Other times stores decide that the police should be involved and detain the suspected shoplifter until police arrive and make an arrest.

When you are placed under arrest, law enforcement must read you your Miranda rights. These rights inform you that you are in custody of the police and that you have the right to remain silent and that you can get a lawyer. The exact format of Miranda rights vary from state to state, but generally the Miranda warning covers these basic points. You will next be taken to jail and booked.

When you are arrested for retail theft, it is absolutely critical that you only consult with a lawyer before telling police anything because your lawyer can advise you on how best to protect yourself, your rights, and your freedom.

i am also disappointed with the crapness of firuns other things i care about are ferns and funyons so i hear you brohan take that to the bank
I am glad you find humor in smart phone typos.  Really shows your superiority.   I guess that makes you a write supremacist.  

i am not a write supremercists but i am a member of antloofa they exfoliate and also help keep you clean what is not to like take that to the bank brohans 

This thread really did turn into quite the cluster####.  

I thought the three pages of "arrest" vs. "non-arrest" was bad, but that may have been the high water mark.  haha

Did we ever get to the bottom of this?  This lawyer disagrees with you unless I'm missing the point you and HF are making.

http://www.cosleycriminaldefense.com/criminal-blog/2016/08/24/retail-theft-detained-vs-arrested/
You should put his picture with it to really hammer home the fact that he's discussing legal concepts and not just trying to drum up business.
No, ####. Only the police can arrest in Illinois?

I dont think so:

(725 ILCS 5/107-3) (from Ch. 38, par. 107-3) 
    Sec. 107-3. Arrest by private person. 
    Any person may arrest another when he has reasonable grounds to believe that an offense other than an ordinance violation is being committed. 
(Source: Laws 1963, p. 2836.)
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/072500050K107-3.htm

You should put his picture with it to really hammer home the fact that he's discussing legal concepts and not just trying to drum up business.
Are you assuming his motivation for writing that article based on how he looks?  :unsure:  

The guy's probably trying to say that in normal circumstances you're not being "placed under" arrest as some kind of weird justification for making a blog post that's intended to be an advertisement (but not really!) but that "article" is horribly bad.
Especially when he should be saying if you're a potential retail theft client, shut your mouth whoever's asking the questions.

Are you assuming his motivation for writing that article based on how he looks?  :unsure:  
No, I'm assuming his motivation based on it being on his website and having this as the final two sentences:

Please contact a Rolling Meadows shoplifting attorney immediately. Call the Law Offices of Christopher M. Cosley at (847) 394-3200.
I'm pointing out his picture because he looks like a self-tanned leather-faced out of work comic book villain got a law degree.

*Edit: It also wasn't written by him.  It was written by "Staff Writer" according to the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy's probably trying to say that in normal circumstances you're not being "placed under" arrest as some kind of weird justification for making a blog post that's intended to be an advertisement (but not really!) but that "article" is horribly bad.
If you can't trust shoplifter lawyers you find online doing a Google search then I'm not sure who to trust any more.

This thread really did turn into quite the cluster####.  

I thought the three pages of "arrest" vs. "non-arrest" was bad, but that may have been the high water mark.  haha
Thank you. At least one person recognizes my efforts.

:bowtie:

This is a completely unfounded assumption.  You have no idea why he or any of the other people that fled the scene were doing so, and neither do we.

This is the wrong question.  The question is whether a white person in an identical situation would have been treated identically. If not, that's racial bias.  And again, none of us has any way to know the answer to this.
I have a pretty good idea

What a joke.

I have no doubt that black men experience some level of racial profiling in this country. I'm guessing that NFL players (most of whom are black, physically imposing and often come from poor backgrounds) see this on a more frequent basis than most when they grow up. But what Bennett did (flat out lie) is absolutely disgusting and sets this discussion back in a pretty terrible way.

When you read Bennett's initial description of the incident (an innocent black man being racially abused and unnecessarily assalted) and then see the video, (an erratic person fleeing the scene of a shooting and then being calmly detained and questioned by what appear to be professional and calm police officers)  it casts a shadow over any future accusations like this.

I'm a reasonable person, so I understand that every scenario is different. But I guarantee there are people out there seeing this that assume all "racial profiling" and "police abuse" are bull#### and just a case of minorities acting like fools and not following the legitimate instructions of law enforcement. And this scenario helps that narrative.

I know it will NEVER happen, but some of these guys kneeling for the anthem (a protest that I am completely fine with even though I don't totally agree with their methods) should come out against Bennett. He hurts their cause. 

Thought the police were pretty classy in pointing out any innocent detainee would be upset. Which is very true. We would all be pissed. 

The NFL and ESPN don't touch this now do they?  After ESPN ####ed out their coverage of this on Day 1 of the "incident", I'm curious if they cover this back end here.

ESPN won't cover this.  Doesn't fit their narrative
At the very least Bennett needs to man up and offer  a public apology.  This false incident contributed to much of the NFL unrest that is going on right now. 

Bennett.  :lol:

I assume all the guys that immediately and wrongly blamed the police on these boards will now pretend they never did and move on?

So this just confirms what I thought from the beginning, there was a reason he didn't scream this from the mountain top the night it happened. He was somewhere he probably shouldn't have been--maybe told a spouse/girlfriend he was back at his room and he is out at the club and he panicked. Just a stupid gut reaction got the best of him, If he just stands there--this is a non-story and no one hears about it and he takes his lumps at home or wherever.

I mean he shakes the cops hand and the whole thing is over in less than 10 minutes--hardly a traumatic incident filled with racist cops singling him out and hunting him down.

I try not to draw general conclusions from single incidents, though I do not always succeed.  I also try not to as matters are evolving.  This matter may yet evolve.  I do believe Mr. Bennett's attorney is hurting his cause at the moment.  I believe the ball is in Michael's court and cannot be returned by his attorney.

These NFL players are contributing to a movement where police are afraid to be proactive and do their job well in chaotic, stressful situations.  The only consequence is that more innocent people are going to die because the police won't be there to protect them.  

Don't anyone dare say anything bad now about poor Michael Bennett on this thread, or you'll get banned for a few days from posting. By the way, where are all the Bennett defenders now. CRICKETS!! Bunch of hypocrits

Don't anyone dare say anything bad now about poor Michael Bennett on this thread, or you'll get banned for a few days from posting. By the way, where are all the Bennett defenders now. CRICKETS!! Bunch of hypocrits
Liberal media main story when he's crying foul.  Now there's proof he's a lying fool and barely a peep from them.  This is exactly why people don't trust the media and many  :lmao: when someone claims they are honest and just report the news.

Users who are viewing this thread