What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Did I find the Madden '08 cover pic? (1 Viewer)

Gotta love the strategy by Young here. Pacman is down. He knows they will suck. He is still very young. Wring in the Madden $s for a year knowing you will likely get injured and miss most of the season. Allow Tenn an even higher draft pick next year and then start winning game and turning the franchise around. After you have sealed some extra cash and taken an injury mulligan. :shrug:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am totally on the kids bandwagon. Well at least I didn't suck enough to be able tdraft him last year. I'll wait untill his injury and maybe I can buy low. Hey this might be a good thing. Think I could trade Alex Smith for him once he is injured?

Here we go again, just like last year. I had to listen to all this don't draft SA crap because he is on the cover of Madden. Well I drafted him anyway and .... wait that didn't work out to well for me. Never mind!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!I am totally on the kids bandwagon. Well at least I didn't suck enough to be able tdraft him last year. I'll wait untill his injury and maybe I can buy low. Hey this might be a good thing. Think I could trade Alex Smith for him once he is injured?
Depending on the scoring system I think that could be a mistake.

The "Jinx" will end this year. VY will not be injured nor miss any games and have a great year. Mark it down and bump this thread in Feb 08. :wall:

Tuesday, 04/17/07

Young on Madden game cover

Agent says Titans QB doesn't believe in jinx

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Vince Young has survived the so-called Sports Illustrated jinx — three times to be exact.

Can he escape the Madden curse? It looks like everyone will get a chance to find out this fall.

Young's agent said the Titans quarterback has been told he'll appear on the cover of Madden '08, the popular football video game that features one NFL star on its package each year. Whether it's a coincidence or a curse, however, recent players have been injured the year they appeared on the cover.

"We don't believe in no jinx,'' agent Major Adams said. "People said when they put Vince on the cover of Sports Illustrated (that) it was going to jinx him in the Rose Bowl game, and (Texas) won the national championship.

"We don't believe in stuff like that. In the unfortunate event he gets hurt, it is just a part of the game, not because you have the cover.''

Officials from EA Sports wouldn't confirm Young is this year's choice for the cover, which will be announced officially on Jimmy Kimmel Live. The show airs at 11 tonight on ABC.

The past six cover players have been injured. Seattle running back Shaun Alexander was on the cover of Madden '07, and he broke a bone in his left foot early in the season. Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb suffered a sports hernia the season he was on the cover of Madden '06.

Before that, it was Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis (wrist) and Madden '05, Falcons quarterback Michael Vick (broken leg in exhibition game) and Madden '04, Marshall Faulk (ankle) and Madden '03, and Dante Culpepper (knee) and Madden '02.

The last player to not be injured was former Titan Eddie George, who appeared on the cover of Madden '01. In fact, that season (2000-01) was George's best as a pro.

"Being on the cover of Madden is such a big honor nowadays; no one ever turns us down because of (the so-called curse), that's for sure,'' said Chris Erb, director of marketing for EA Sports.

On Internet sites, there's been plenty of speculation about who might be on this year's cover for weeks.

On Tuesday, Young's marketing manager, Mike Mu, said Young is scheduled to be in Los Angeles for the taping on the Jimmy Kimmel Show but wouldn't reveal for what reason. On abc.com, Kimmel's guests are listed as actor Paul Reubens, the fourth eliminated contestant from Dancing with the Stars, musical guest Silversun Pickups and the Madden video game cover athlete (to be revealed on the show).

Young was the NFL's offensive rookie of the year in 2006, when he guided the Titans to six straight wins at the end of the season.

"Everyone wants to be the Madden guy," Erb said. "The issue is the guys that have been on the cover tend to be the guys that are around the football more often, and football is a rough sport.

"We've had a string of unfortunate incidents I guess you could say … but we really don't believe in the jinx.''

I guess that means AJ can finally trade Turner.

Sorry, had to bring up Turner in another thread, I know. :goodposting:

I'm not one to buy into the jinx but IMHO, 2007 will go down as year it continued. Not because I believe Young will get injured or play really poorly compared to last year, but because I already believed the Titans were in for a regression from last year's season.

Hear me out: they won a number of very close games last year that easily could have gone the other way. In the way of personnel, they've lost their starting RB, #1WR and by far the best player on the their defense (and their best player on the field outside of Vince) for the season. I can specifically remember a handful of games where if PacMan had not been on the field, they most certainly would not have won (punt's returned for TD's or really good field position, multiple INT's.)

They still have a number of picks to make and considering what they've got starting right now at those positions, can possibly add a starter at either/both WR and a CB in the 1st 2 rounds. Trading for Turner might still be a possibility (although I feel this is getting less and less likely as time wears on.) However, I think duplicating last year's cinderella 8-8 season is extremely unlikely and your casual fan and pundit is going to blame the Madden Curse instead of looking at everything else happening behind the scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not one to buy into the jinx but IMHO, 2007 will go down as year it continued. Not because I believe Young will get injured or play really poorly compared to last year, but because I already believed the Titans were in for a regression from last year's season.
If there's going to be a continuation of the curse outside of injury (which is also a possibility), you're definitely right about the likely regression of the Titans. Pac-man Jones was every bit as crucial to the D and special teams as Vince was to the offense in their big comeback wins. His loss alone will be devastating to their chances of a good season. I understand why they let Wade, Bennett, and Henry go rather than pay above market value for fairly average players, but those losses will still hurt, too.At least the silver lining is that I was one of the first in the nation to call it. :thumbup: to those who remembered that!

If there's going to be a continuation of the curse outside of injury (which is also a possibility), you're definitely right about the likely regression of the Titans. Pac-man Jones was every bit as crucial to the D and special teams as Vince was to the offense in their big comeback wins. His loss alone will be devastating to their chances of a good season. I understand why they let Wade, Bennett, and Henry go rather than pay above market value for fairly average players, but those losses will still hurt, too.

At least the silver lining is that I was one of the first in the nation to call it. :lmao: to those who remembered that!
:lmao: :lmao: Can VY completion percentage actually get worse than 51%. Outside of Madden himself being on the cover this is the worst cover yet.

A friend of mine named Rob came up with the greatest Madden idea of all: what if you could order a custom copy of Madden 08 with any player you wanted on it? They could charge a fat premium for it and I think a LOT of people would play NFL voodoo doll, coughing up money to bring down Manning or Brady or TO or whomever, don't you?
Wouldn't EA have to pay everyone they put on the cover then?
They've already licensed the right to use NFL players likeness in the game. I suppose it would depend on the details of the contract as to whether they have to pay the cover person extra or whether it's covered in it.
I actually looked into this a few months ago when there was the story about Tom Brady suing Yahoo! for using his picture to promote their fantasy football. The rule is that if there are 6+ players in the picture it falls under the general license and there is a set fee. If there are less than 5 players, the individual has the right to negotiate their own deal. So since there is just 1 player on the cover of Madden, they have to negotiate with the player directly.So if they gave everyone the option of choosing their own cover player, EA Sports would have to negotiate with every single player in the NFL individually. Not going to happen.

It is undisputable that the Madden curse would be a stronger factor in a bad season for Young than:

1. The fact that he is only a second year QB, and

2. The fact that he runs the ball a lot.

The Madden curse explains all!

i cant believe people really believe in this thing. V.Young will be a stud
Poor dynasty owner. So oblivous to the fact that Young is perhaps the most hyped and overrated quarterback ever. VY won't even finish in top 15 for QB's. Let me guess, you took him as the 3rd or 4th QB off the board. The guy plays in Tennessee throwing to David Givens, Brandon Jones, Courtney Roby, Roydell Williams, Jonathan Orr, Justin Gage, Clinton Solomon. If that's not a recipe for a disaster, I don't know what is. Even a WR in the first day of the draft won't help VY put up good throwing numbers.

Can VY completion percentage actually get worse than 51%. Outside of Madden himself being on the cover this is the worst cover yet.
He'll move merchandise, especially for the teenage demographic I'm sure they're targeting. Bush and Young are probably the safest bets for attracting that audience.Also, love him or hate him, he was really fun to play in Madden 07 and I bet he'll be even _more_ fun in Madden 2008. Video Game VY is a player we can all enjoy. ;)

Marc Faletti said:
Can VY completion percentage actually get worse than 51%. Outside of Madden himself being on the cover this is the worst cover yet.
He'll move merchandise, especially for the teenage demographic I'm sure they're targeting. Bush and Young are probably the safest bets for attracting that audience.Also, love him or hate him, he was really fun to play in Madden 07 and I bet he'll be even _more_ fun in Madden 2008. Video Game VY is a player we can all enjoy. :lmao:
I gotta agree, it's an even more obvious pick than Reggie and makes too much "$ and sense" to not put VY on the cover. Best possible marketing choice, even better than picking LT as he doesn't pull the casual fans as much as VY name does.

Marc Faletti said:
He'll move merchandise, especially for the teenage demographic I'm sure they're targeting. Bush and Young are probably the safest bets for attracting that audience.Also, love him or hate him, he was really fun to play in Madden 07 and I bet he'll be even _more_ fun in Madden 2008. Video Game VY is a player we can all enjoy. :hifive:
Online anyone who plays with VY or Vick is looked at as weak, and I agree.

It's not an MVP award, it's a game cover. A marketing tool. And from a marketing standpoint, VY is a hot commodity and a good choice.

It's not an MVP award, it's a game cover. A marketing tool. And from a marketing standpoint, VY is a hot commodity and a good choice.
Where does VY rank in Jersey sales and who is above him?
If you know, just say so. If you don't, you can probably look it up if it interests you. But I'm not taking the time to do it.

4th black QB in 6 years :hot:
Madden is a reverse racist! I'll never buy an EA product again. :rolleyes:
This actually raises a very interesting (and incredibly difficult) trivia question - can you name the only 2 WHITE players ever to appear on a Madden cover? Before you answer, I'll give you half the answer - yes, John Madden himself is one. Who is the other?
LenDale? No... um...By the way, you said white PLAYERS. Madden is not an NFL player, so I'm glad you tossed that one out of the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
4th black QB in 6 years :bag:
Madden is a reverse racist! I'll never buy an EA product again.

:confused:
This actually raises a very interesting (and incredibly difficult) trivia question - can you name the only 2 WHITE players ever to appear on a Madden cover? Before you answer, I'll give you half the answer - yes, John Madden himself is one. Who is the other?
I see one here, in the background on the left: http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/lar...20593017-00.jpgAnd here, in the middle:

http://www.djangomusic.com/images/games/co...g06997qsp5b.jpg

Didn't take the time to figure out names.

Users who are viewing this thread