What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL (1 Viewer)

None of this really bothers me except the fact that they appear to really not know what they're doing. You can't go an extra day then leave a note on your site that it will be up "sometime Friday". It's Saturday and it's still on there and they're still down. This lets confidence erode even more and makes them look incompetent. 

It's a failure for a generally reliable and nice site.

This is somewhat annoying and been handled relatively poorly by MFL (from short notice through the 2+ day delay).  That said, what bothers me most is the level of snark and lack of general PR common sense they've displayed through their Twitter communications which I glanced through last night just to see what was up.

I am not smart enough to disagree with the majority of your post; you may be right.

One thing no one is acknowledging is that season-long and dynasty fantasy sports as we know it may be gone soon with the current DFS legislative bills being passed that encompass both private and commercial season-long fantasy sports leagues. As in, it may soon be illegal to have private fantasy leagues for money depending on how dumb the legislators are in your state and no one is talking about it. 

When you put in that context, MFL being down for a few days isn't so big of a deal. 
Dude.

i am surprised by the number of people defending them on this site. this site seems like the one that would not tolerate this in any way since they have experience in how these leagues work. i see people being grateful to them and saying good job. is this something that deserves a congratulations? down for longer than they say, have a major mess up and are still down during what so many have said is a bad time?

i live in the country and I take my car to get a new engine installed at the only place that can do it in town. they told me before hand that it would take 2 -3 days to fix so with that information i decide to leave my car with them to get repaired even though i could have taken it in to town. i got a call on thursday and they tell me it might be done saturday now because they didnt bring their tools but are not sure it could be longer, when it should already have been done. i made plans for saturday already and this screws up my week even more because of their own issues. if they for some reason cant get it done by thursday when i have to drive cross country, what do i do?

should I just be grateful they are repairing my car? should I be fortunate they allowed me to pay them to fix my car? should i be grateful that they normally do a good job so that excuses this delay?

i normally dont say much but i have time since my car is still in the shop.

You've already said that.  Please explain.
Because who are you to tell people how they should and shouldn't react in such a condescending tone?  Just because it's not a big deal to you doesn't mean others are wrong for having a lot invested in it, so get off your high horse.  It's 4 months before the season, but some leagues are in the middle of RFA, or drafts, or whatever else they decide to do.  It's not up to you to judge what's important for us.  MFL gave almost no notice for this, so adjusting a league calendar on that kind of notice is difficult at best.

Personally, I don't care much either way.  The leagues I'm doing RFA in have just slowed down/suspended until it's back up, when we'll resume.  Sure, they've turned it into a clown show with the lack of professionalism in their communication (rofl at posting a screenshot of Notes and seriously, get a real re-direct page going) but other than that it's very little skin off my back. 

This is somewhat annoying and been handled relatively poorly by MFL (from short notice through the 2+ day delay).  That said, what bothers me most is the level of snark and lack of general PR common sense they've displayed through their Twitter communications which I glanced through last night just to see what was up.
And since when is Twitter the first, and apparently only spot that a company posts status updates?  You'd think if I clicked on the MFL site it would have more up-to-date information than me scanning through a thread on an unaffiliated message board.    

And since when is Twitter the first, and apparently only spot that a company posts status updates?  You'd think if I clicked on the MFL site it would have more up-to-date information than me scanning through a thread on an unaffiliated message board.    
100% agree.  The website still says "should be up sometime Friday."

If not for this thread quoting twitter, I'd start worrying they weren't there anymore by tomorrow.  How hard is it to update the message every 24 hours?

tone1oc said:
If 99% of trade proposals are senseless, then maybe you're evaluation process off? 
That's funny. I always debate even posting anything on here because of responses like this. There is nothing wrong with my evaluation process. Unfortunately, most owners want something for nothing. Still enjoying the downtime. 

Last edited by a moderator:
you did take the time to share that to make others care now you are upset someone responded? seems the know it all would be someone who said there is nothing wrong with my process. mfl needs to get back up, im starting to get involved in this thread more than i ever cared to. :)

I've been pretty vocal over MFL in general. That was mostly due to being a commish and having to do manual workarounds for certain things. I am no longer a commish and now I try to just go with the flow.

This latest delay didn't really bother me until today. Most of us have jobs M-F. With the upcoming draft, I was going to look at some trade possibilities today. Depending on when things get fixed, I may still be able to do that. If the site isn't back up, I won't have another opportunity as I'm heading out of town tomorrow.

It's an unfortunate inconvenience that takes away from a fantasy football experience that I am paying for. If I was to string enough of these together, I would probably quit playing fantasy sports and take up model trains.

I really want for this to be like one of those shows where they do the surprise make overs to a house. We're all going to go to check on our teams and when click the book mark the doors open and we say, "Whoa! This is amazing. Are these granite counter tops? I can't believe this is my fantasy league!"

I really want for this to be like one of those shows where they do the surprise make overs to a house. We're all going to go to check on our teams and when click the book mark the doors open and we say, "Whoa! This is amazing. Are these granite counter tops? I can't believe this is my fantasy league!"
I think people hoping for that will be seriously disappointed. What I read via Twitter was that everything being done was behind the scenes stuff. My understanding is that it will visually look like very little was done. 

I think people hoping for that will be seriously disappointed. What I read via Twitter was that everything being done was behind the scenes stuff. My understanding is that it will visually look like very little was done. 
Oh I know but if it's back up in a few hours then let me dream man. :D

Because who are you to tell people how they should and shouldn't react in such a condescending tone?  Just because it's not a big deal to you doesn't mean others are wrong for having a lot invested in it, so get off your high horse.  It's 4 months before the season, but some leagues are in the middle of RFA, or drafts, or whatever else they decide to do.  It's not up to you to judge what's important for us.  MFL gave almost no notice for this, so adjusting a league calendar on that kind of notice is difficult at best.

Personally, I don't care much either way.  The leagues I'm doing RFA in have just slowed down/suspended until it's back up, when we'll resume.  Sure, they've turned it into a clown show with the lack of professionalism in their communication (rofl at posting a screenshot of Notes and seriously, get a real re-direct page going) but other than that it's very little skin off my back. 
Sorry not trying to be condescending but just reminding people it's only April.  I know most of you here are hardcore fantasy players and get excited around the draft but just put it in perspective that there will be plenty of time to accomplish trades and hold rookie drafts etc. Ultimately this will have no impact on you league this fall other than being a minor inconvenience.  Yes it's not ideal and pretty crappy but your leagues will survive just fine.  I appologize if I offended anyone.

It is april, a time when people and the nfl do their drafts. and important time in dynasties who house their leagues at this site. that its april has more damning effect on mfl to me.

Some of you guys need to chill out.  Their site says they'll be back sometime Friday, April 22nd.  Let's at least have some patience until that time comes and goes.  

Como say what?

Assume you are joking or you passed out on Thursday and just woke up assuming it's Friday....

Is it wrong that I am hoping the roster data got accidentally deleted and can't be recovered?  My team could use a roster reset haha...

In all seriousness, I really wish they would add a Java based draft room for auction leagues.

I'm in the middle of a startup draft. If we had an "ample" notice we wouldn't have planned our draft during this time. To have your product be down for this length of time is embarrassing. Add in the fact that the update was supposed to be done Thursday, then Friday, and now with no ETA and its an absolute joke. There's no room for excuses. 
how's your roster looking?

Doensn't look any different but everythin seems to be working. Can offer trades, make an auction bid and my unfortunately my roster is the same.

First off, 98% of their customers have no idea this even happened as they are checked out until August.  So there is that.... :)

Second, (and not directed to anyone in particular) of course it doesn't look any different because it looks like how we each set it up.  This was a back end database upgrade that was probably due 10 years ago and they finally needed to bite the bullet and get it done.  This should allow them to actually do some "wiz bang" UI upgrades that people always want.  I know several features requests I've made over the years just wasn't possible due to the ancient legacy back end that actually runs everything.  Now with that getting upgrades (and no idea if more is needed) perhaps some requests can finally happen.

I find it funny indeed that the very people that complain they want MFL to modernize, when they start doing exactly that only complain that MFL is doing upgrades.  LOL

First off, 98% of their customers have no idea this even happened as they are checked out until August.  So there is that.... :)

Second, (and not directed to anyone in particular) of course it doesn't look any different because it looks like how we each set it up.  This was a backup database upgrade that was probably due 10 years ago and they finally needed to bite the bullet and get it done.  This should allow them to actually do some "wiz bang" UI upgrades that people always want.  I know several features requests I've made over the years just wasn't possible due to the ancient legacy backend that actually runs everything.  Now with that getting upgrades (and no idea if more is needed) perhaps some requests can finally happen.

I find it funny indeed that the very people that complain they want MFL to modernize, when they start doing exactly that only complain that MFL is doing upgrades.  LOL
There's upgrading, and then there's what they did. Lets not get the two confused, sir. They handled this about as poorly as possible. 

OMG i swear i had gronk, hopkins, gurley, rodgers, cooper and evans on all of my teams and now they aren't there!!!! Also had the 1.01 and 3 2017 1sts that are gone!!! Need to contact MFL to fix this issue immediately

There's upgrading, and then there's what they did. Lets not get the two confused, sir. They handled this about as poorly as possible. 
Really.  And you work in IT and know how database upgrades work?  Especially from a decade+ old version?  I'm honestly surprised it didn't take longer.  I've seen many database upgrades go a whole lot worse then this over the years even to the point of plopping down half a million to Oracle themselves to come in and save the day.  Happens all the time.  Been involved many times in upgrades of all types where you've done the upgrade in test and validation several times without a hitch and when you get to production it all goes wrong for some reason and a 2 hour upgrade takes 5 days.  It Sucks.

So wow, MFL was down a whole 6 days when 98% of leagues are dark doing a very much needed upgrade to get into the 21st century.  Too many panties in a wad over this.

it may just be me but it appears bon is taking any critisim of myfantasyleague personally. your tone suggests you are really upset by it bon. so as you say many panties are in a wad and i started this thread so maybe that is directed towards me maybe it isnt but i will ask. why are your "panties in a wad" to quote you at people who were frustrated or upset at it? i dont think people being upset was surprising. it doesnt look like many were over aggressive towards mfl. its water under the bridge now since we have our leagues back and mfl 10s are up.

from reading twitter and some online boards you would think the world collapsed on both ends. still was not fun without it and im sure everyone survived since i have not heard of any mfl related suicides yet.

bonscott said:
Really.  And you work in IT and know how database upgrades work?  Especially from a decade+ old version?  I'm honestly surprised it didn't take longer.  I've seen many database upgrades go a whole lot worse then this over the years even to the point of plopping down half a million to Oracle themselves to come in and save the day.  Happens all the time.  Been involved many times in upgrades of all types where you've done the upgrade in test and validation several times without a hitch and when you get to production it all goes wrong for some reason and a 2 hour upgrade takes 5 days.  It Sucks.

So wow, MFL was down a whole 6 days when 98% of leagues are dark doing a very much needed upgrade to get into the 21st century.  Too many panties in a wad over this.
I work in IT as a software developer and I can tell you that no upgrade should have that much downtime, but I agree that things go wrong sometimes that require long outages.   Database upgrades should be measured in hours, not days.  Having said that, people should show more patience.  Of course we live in a society where most have to have instant gratification so I'm not surprised by the outbursts in this forum. 

it may just be me but it appears bon is taking any critisim of myfantasyleague personally. your tone suggests you are really upset by it bon. so as you say many panties are in a wad and i started this thread so maybe that is directed towards me maybe it isnt but i will ask. why are your "panties in a wad" to quote you at people who were frustrated or upset at it? i dont think people being upset was surprising. it doesnt look like many were over aggressive towards mfl. its water under the bridge now since we have our leagues back and mfl 10s are up.
No worries, nothing directed at anyone personally.  I just find it humorous all the posts about how much of a disaster this was and how MFL will lose all this business and such.  Fact is something obviously went wrong.  What that is all we can do is speculate unless MFL decides to share.  From what I've gleaned from MFL's twitter posts (and I haven't read them all) the main issue was migrating the tons of data from the past 20+ years into the new database.  From this I assume they ditched their old database which was probably ancient and unsupported by any vendor to an actual modern and supported version or totally new vendor (say SQL from the 90s to a modern Oracle or something for example).  Those types of migrations with the amount of data they have aren't usually a simple one-to-one migration and all kinds of things need to be rewritten (like queries) and so forth.  Again, should have all been tested and ready to rock in validation but something went wrong or it just took a lot longer for all that data to actually migrate then they anticipated.  In fact one tweet on Friday said they finally found the main issue slowing down the import of data and that it should go a lot quicker after that.

(As an aside, this goes to my comment of bringing this up to 21st century standards  LOL)

Many have complained loudly about MFL being stuck in the 90s, and rightfully so.  Now they did something about it, the first step really and people get upset by the outage.  Panties in a wad if you will.  I just find it really funny and ironic is all.  I'll be the first to admit that MFL needs some work, some serious work, to get into the modern era.  Well, they couldn't do a whole lot running a decades old back end.  Hopefully these two things they did this year is the first major step into correcting that over the next year or two.  If not then the complaints will continue and rightfully so.

When the hell did they do this?
Just now with this outage.  A lot of what has been holding them back from what I gather has been the really old back end database running things.  If this is the last piece of that upgrade then they can move forward with modernizing things.  I could be totally wrong of course.  But from what they have implied on Twitter and in responses to people's feature requests over the past few years this would be a good bet.

So maybe now they can re-do the scoreboard to be more dynamically updated similar to other services versus and entire page refresh. Thanks like that for example.

Users who are viewing this thread