What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Vick Bandwagon rolling like a freight train (1 Viewer)

what is the probability that he starts this week? I've read that Kolb is out of practice until at least Friday. I'd guess the chances are low...thoughts?
Listening to Adam Schefter this morning, the medical recommendation is to wait at least one week from the last indication of the concussion. He was vomiting and whatnot on Monday, he said. Given that, I'd say he might be out.I find it amazing that these football players play but Jason Bay missed the entire season in baseball. I'm far from a doctor, so maybe I should shut my face and stick to something I know about :bs:
No. I think your gut is right here. Vomitting over 24 hours after a serious head injury is not a good sign that you will be ready to play soon (and reagg it like westbrook) For all of the people saying that Reids ego makes this impossible, it might be easier to 'justify' if he has to IR the kid. That allows them a year of Vick playing for a new K, and to slide kolb in next year... :shrug: The studies on these conscussions have been bad. And now a Dr. has to clear him for return.It wouldn't suprise me if KOlb sits a month. What Vick does with that month will be determinative.

I'm in a keeper League 3 QB's Max per roster.... I'm itching to Drop Bradford to Get Vick. I kept Ryan thinking he young with lots of upside. Now I feel the same way about Bradford. Would you Drop Bradford for Vick? The kid did throw 254 in his debut

I'm in a keeper League 3 QB's Max per roster.... I'm itching to Drop Bradford to Get Vick. I kept Ryan thinking he young with lots of upside. Now I feel the same way about Bradford. Would you Drop Bradford for Vick? The kid did throw 254 in his debut
Vick will be better THIS year (if he has the job all year) than Bradford. But you're in a keeper and Bradford is nice in a keeper.

Vick will be better THIS year (if he has the job all year) than Bradford. But you're in a keeper and Bradford is nice in a keeper.
Its so tempting we can keep 1 per position. I have held ryan for 2 years hoping he'd breakout. I see what Bradford did with no real WR's and its tough to let go of. Yet not many QB's can rush for 100 yrds

I don't like Cutler's matchup vs Dallas D this week so I'm gonna roll with Vick for one week if I can get him off waivers tonight....

I'll probably catch hell for it, but I'm starting him over Brady vs Jets this week. If week 2 were played out 1000 times I feel confident this would prove to be the correct choice.

This week, Vicks over/under is probably around 1.5 passing TDs and Brady maybe around 2.0. I think the rushing ability of Vick is the difference.
I am considering the same thing. The Jets D is the difference there. So good. Even if the pats win, I could see it being a 230 yd 2 td 2 in type day.

And I think Vick is going to light up the lions. Hell look at how many rushing yards Jake Freaking Cutler ran against the lions for. Now Imagine cutler was Vick.
yeah, he had an 11 yd run, and 4 more totaling another 11 --- and he's a mobile qb.5 guys topped his yardage last year, 6 the year before, and 3 in 2007.

that said, there's obviously no question vick is the better runner, but is he the better qb?

I'm no cutler fan, but isn't he supposed to be some kind of all world hall of famer in a supermartz offense?

I didn't even like vick as a throwing qb before his dog torturing.

I don't want to get all crazy and make a BOLD prediction, but to play devil's advocate, is it possible this isn't the 2009 detroit defense?

at home, detroit gave up 37 to chi last year, including 4 passing td's -- all to the wr/te positions.

at chi they gave up 41, including 2 td's to the wr/te.

last week they gave up 19, and while on the surface it looked like cutler lit them up, half his yardage, nearly half his completions, and both td's were passing to his rb.

now, I'm not going to say that vick won't be allowed to make those same plays, I'm not 'taking away that play'. or claiming that mccoy can't ring up 10 catches for 200 yds and a couple scores, but looking solely at the wr/te position, it doesn't look like detroit did all that badly, considering they also racked up 4 sacks and a pick, and you'd think they'd be better at home.

my memory of vick is that he'd have a great game followed by utter crap --- and that was in his prime.

He has spent prior two years in prison and last year on the bench. This is his big break. He has been waiting for this moment for 3 years. Dog Killer will shine. He is playing for a contract and possibly a new team next year.

I'll probably catch hell for it, but I'm starting him over Brady vs Jets this week. If week 2 were played out 1000 times I feel confident this would prove to be the correct choice.

This week, Vicks over/under is probably around 1.5 passing TDs and Brady maybe around 2.0. I think the rushing ability of Vick is the difference.
I am considering the same thing. The Jets D is the difference there. So good. Even if the pats win, I could see it being a 230 yd 2 td 2 in type day.

And I think Vick is going to light up the lions. Hell look at how many rushing yards Jake Freaking Cutler ran against the lions for. Now Imagine cutler was Vick.
yeah, he had an 11 yd run, and 4 more totaling another 11 --- and he's a mobile qb.5 guys topped his yardage last year, 6 the year before, and 3 in 2007.

that said, there's obviously no question vick is the better runner, but is he the better qb?

I'm no cutler fan, but isn't he supposed to be some kind of all world hall of famer in a supermartz offense?

I don't want to get all crazy and make a BOLD prediction, but to play devil's advocate, is it possible this isn't the 2009 detroit defense?

at home, detroit gave up 37 to chi last year, including 4 passing td's -- all to the wr/te positions.

last week they gave up 19, and while on the surface it looked like cutler lit them up, half his yardage, nearly half his completions, and both td's were passing to his rb.

now, I'm not going to say that vick won't be allowed to make those same plays, I'm not 'taking away that play'. or claiming that mccoy can't ring up 10 catches for 200 yds and a couple scores, but looking solely at the wr/te position, it doesn't look like detroit did all that badly, considering they also racked up 4 sacks and a pick, and you'd think they'd be better at home.

my memory of vick is that he'd have a great game followed by utter crap --- and that was in his prime.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the probability that he starts this week? I've read that Kolb is out of practice until at least Friday. I'd guess the chances are low...thoughts?
Listening to Adam Schefter this morning, the medical recommendation is to wait at least one week from the last indication of the concussion. He was vomiting and whatnot on Monday, he said. Given that, I'd say he might be out.I find it amazing that these football players play but Jason Bay missed the entire season in baseball. I'm far from a doctor, so maybe I should shut my face and stick to something I know about :lmao:
:rolleyes: I was just thinking about Morneau being on the DL since the early part of July with a concussion.With all the talk about being more careful in how the NFL handles concussions, I was expecting a three week minimum benching.Did anyone that got one last year only miss one week?

Listening to Adam Schefter this morning, the medical recommendation is to wait at least one week from the last indication of the concussion. He was vomiting and whatnot on Monday, he said. Given that, I'd say he might be out.I find it amazing that these football players play but Jason Bay missed the entire season in baseball. I'm far from a doctor, so maybe I should shut my face and stick to something I know about :lmao:
:goodposting: I was just thinking about Morneau being on the DL since the early part of July with a concussion.With all the talk about being more careful in how the NFL handles concussions, I was expecting a three week minimum benching.Did anyone that got one last year only miss one week?
i think it depends on the severity of the concussion - all depending on certain persons situation. there's not a blanket recovery time for every concussion from what i understand. matt moore had a concussion sunday too and they're saying he's likely playing this week. :shrug:

on second thought, since vick is the wiseguy darling this week, my opponent plugged him in, and he's a sack of garbage, I think I will make a BOLD prediction:

vick will be bottom 10 this week, while the detroit defense will be top 10.

last year, I think one of the guys in my league picked up det def vs cle, which ended up earning him an all caps LMAO, so I won't be adopting his BOLD tactics, but since talk is cheap I will make the above prediction knowing I can sig it if I'm right, and come back and delete it if I'm wrong.

I'm not sold on mccoy, or philly's o-line, and I'm least sold on vick.

also, it's not like gunther's never had to defense vick before --- they met in a game a few years back while gunther was presiding over one of the worst defenses in the nfl.

maybe check that one out and see how vick fared....

Drafted him in the last round of a keeper league...looking like good value as a 17th round hold-over.

on second thought, since vick is the wiseguy darling this week, my opponent plugged him in, and he's a sack of garbage, I think I will make a BOLD prediction:

last year, I think one of the guys in my league picked up det def vs cle, which ended up earning him an all caps LMAO, so I won't be adopting his BOLD tactics, but since talk is cheap I will make the above prediction knowing I can sig it if I'm right, and come back and delete it if I'm wrong.

also, it's not like gunther's never had to defense vick before --- they met in a game a few years back while gunther was presiding over one of the worst defenses in the nfl.

Can't delete it now...Why are you least sold on Vick? He's never finished out of the top 12 QBs in his career (when he started at least 14 games) and with the oLine in trouble without Jackson, Vick could be the perfect guy to have back there.

What makes you think otherwise? I like to know everything there is to think about, and I thought I had weighed it all. Do you have anything more useful than "I predict..."?

pretend Vick goes 16 of 26 for160 yards and 1 TD and 12 rushes for 85 yards and 2 TD'syou think Kolb starts week 3 ?yeah right
Vick hasn't had a multiple rushing TD game in 5 years. He hasn't had multiple rushing TDs and anywhere close to 85 rushing yards in the same game in 8.

This, but it depends on what price you pay (if any) to keep em. I like Bradfords upside, but the Eagles are a playoff team and the Rams suck balls, and won't be decent for 2 years. If Vick gets and holds this job, he has a nice value, especially when you consider how much better spots his D will put him vs the spots Sam's D will.

Its so tempting we can keep 1 per position. I have held ryan for 2 years hoping he'd breakout. I see what Bradford did with no real WR's and its tough to let go of. Yet not many QB's can consistently rush for 100 yrds
fixedIt's insane. And when compare with tossing yds, it's even better. 100 yds = 10 pts in most leagues. That's equivalent to throwing for 400 yards. Ergo he rushes for 66 and passes for 200. That's like throwing for 550. (rough math)

Kool-Aid Larry said:

As someone else pointed out earlier, this lions d is yound and stout at the tackles. That should lad to a decent pass rush, but after the play breaks down there aren't many guys in the NFL who can tackle Vick consistently in the open field. He'll get his rushing yards. Going north of 150 yds isn't out of the question at all...

werdnoynek said:
griff321 said:
nysportsfan said:
Listening to Adam Schefter this morning, the medical recommendation is to wait at least one week from the last indication of the concussion. He was vomiting and whatnot on Monday, he said. Given that, I'd say he might be out.I find it amazing that these football players play but Jason Bay missed the entire season in baseball. I'm far from a doctor, so maybe I should shut my face and stick to something I know about :shrug:
:goodposting: I was just thinking about Morneau being on the DL since the early part of July with a concussion.With all the talk about being more careful in how the NFL handles concussions, I was expecting a three week minimum benching.Did anyone that got one last year only miss one week?
i think it depends on the severity of the concussion - all depending on certain persons situation. there's not a blanket recovery time for every concussion from what i understand. matt moore had a concussion sunday too and they're saying he's likely playing this week. :shrug:
a "concussion" is a brain bruise. Obviously how badly you impact the brain to the skull is usually determinative of how bad the concussion is. But if there were reports that KOlb was vomiting the next day that is NOT a good sign for a quick recovery in this climate (the concussion debates etc).

Romofan said:
I don't like Cutler's matchup vs Dallas D this week so I'm gonna roll with Vick for one week if I can get him off waivers tonight....
I had Cutler/Stafford. I grabbed Vick off of waivers and I'm starting him this week. It's almost a no brainer.

Kool-Aid Larry said:

LOL that Kool Aid Larry is admitting to dispensing Kool Aid.

By the way when you want a certain outcome to happen based on where you sit (my opponent is starting him) that's not a prediction, it's a justification.

Kolb passed his first test today:

Rotoworld- Kolb

Kevin Kolb and Stewart Bradley have passed the first stage of their concussion testing.

Both players are now allowed to sit in meetings, but neither will practice Thursday. The next step is to be examined by an independent doctor that will determine if they pass their baseline tests. By the time that happens, it will almost certainly be too late for Kolb to play against the Lions on Sunday. Michael Vick is virtually guaranteed his first start since December of 2006

Romofan said:
I had Cutler/Stafford. I grabbed Vick off of waivers and I'm starting him this week. It's almost a no brainer.
I think many of us will have this decision. Is Vick a better start over the likes of Cutler, Flacco, Palmer, Ryan, Favre, etc. It is a risk, and not sure it is that much of a no brainer. I am torn.

Kolb is their guy.

If he stinks it up for a couple of weeks after his return then yeah a full blown QB controversy. I am betting though Kolb will be fine. You can't judge a guy with 2 quarters of a game as the litmus.

And Vick is an awful passer....just awful.

Vick would be a really nice fit in Buffalo...

Thoughts?

I do feel that Kolb will be given a shot to take the reins again as the investment in his ability (after 2 strong games) is far to large to just jump ship. Vick will essentially be playing for a gig elsewhere this week. If he is as successful as many of us believe he should be moved by week 6.

Possible destinations? Buffalo-Cleveland-San Fran

Semi broke the bank on the guy in a BB league with a $300 out of a possible $500.

I have good qbs already so it was part block and part strategy in hoping he takes over and I have some trade bait with him, Cutler, or Ryan. :unsure:

Nobody put a waiver bid on him in my league... found that quite surprising, but nice to get him for free.

Listening to Adam Schefter this morning, the medical recommendation is to wait at least one week from the last indication of the concussion. He was vomiting and whatnot on Monday, he said. Given that, I'd say he might be out.I find it amazing that these football players play but Jason Bay missed the entire season in baseball. I'm far from a doctor, so maybe I should shut my face and stick to something I know about :unsure:
No. I think your gut is right here. Vomitting over 24 hours after a serious head injury is not a good sign that you will be ready to play soon (and reagg it like westbrook) For all of the people saying that Reids ego makes this impossible, it might be easier to 'justify' if he has to IR the kid. That allows them a year of Vick playing for a new K, and to slide kolb in next year... :shrug: The studies on these conscussions have been bad. And now a Dr. has to clear him for return.It wouldn't suprise me if KOlb sits a month. What Vick does with that month will be determinative.
How can Kolb be ready to play that soon in the NFL? This isn't baseball, the kid's head is going to take a beating. It's not just him, but everyone...just scary stuff.

Can't delete it now...
psshh....I can always change my board name.

ROBOPUNTER said:
pretend Vick goes 16 of 26 for160 yards and 1 TD and 12 rushes for 85 yards and 2 TD'syou think Kolb starts week 3 ?yeah right
Vick hasn't had a multiple rushing TD game in 5 years. He hasn't had multiple rushing TDs and anywhere close to 85 rushing yards in the same game in 8.
But they are playing DET.

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

As we had thought, the Eagles will start Michael Vick at quarterback this Sunday.

So writes the Philadelphia Inquirer, which cites a team source for the information.

Philadelphia QB Kevin Kolb suffered a concussion against the Packers last week, and he finally passed the subsequent concussion test he had to take today. But he can’t practice until Friday, and that will be too late for him to get heavily involved in the Eagles game plan for the Lions.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

I am going to start him over Schaub, Romo and Favre. Just because I can and want to get some value out of him before I trade him.

I did figure he would be the starter by the 6th week, but early is better. He is much more valuable to a team than Kolb will ever be and this is his chance to start a QB controversy since Reid likes Kolb even if he does not have the skills Vick does.

I predict about 27 fantasy points this week, top 5.

Who has the stones to start him? And over what other QB?I think he can put up some solid numbers, and has a better than even chance of breaking 50 yards rushing, with a good shot at a score. Still will likely see my bench, though.
Got him in 3 leagues. Starting him over Romo, McNabb, Flacco.

Hmm, got him as my 4th QB in one league and starting him over Cutler. Since I'm the Kolb owner in two of my leagues, no one else is picking him up for some reason so I could have gotten him for free in both if not for QB roster limit. Top 5 this week but I'm not counting on using him past this one.

Vegas Likes Vivk More

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/loca...-more-than-kolb

Bookies Like Vick More Than Kolb

Updated: Thursday, 16 Sep 2010, 12:15 PM EDT

It looks like Las Vegas bookmakers are bigger fans of Michael Vick than Kevin Kolb, as the betting line has shifted for the Eagles' game with the Lions.

The betting line on the Philadelphia Eagles game against the Detroit Lion has shifted dramatically since news broke that Kolb won't likely play in Sunday.

The Eagles had been 3 to 4 point favorites with Kolb as the tentative starter.

Now, the Eagles are a 6 to 7 point favorites over Detroit, despite being the road team.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=w...sc=AB,p=1,date=

On Wednesday, Eagles head coach Andy Reid said Kolb and linebacker Stewart Bradley couldn't pass NFL-mandated concussion tests.

Reid also said that Bradley appeared to be doing better than Kolb in their recoveries.

Bradley's injury drew a lot of attention nationally because he appeared to be semi-conscious on the field.

But both the NFL and the player's union said the Eagles treated both injuries properly.

Kolb and Bradley briefly returned to action in the Packers game but were benched when they started to show concussion-like symptoms.

Vick played well in the 27-20 loss to Green Bay, and the former All-Pro quarterback will get his first start since 2006 in Detroit.

The Philadelphia Eagles are facing a lot of questions after Kevin Kolb and Stewart Bradley went sent back into the Packers’ game after suffering concussions.

Eagles’ head coach Andy Reid told reporters on Sunday night that team doctors examined Kolb and Bradley immediately after they were hurt in the 27-20 loss to Green Bay.

“All of the questions that they answered with the doctors registered well, but as it went on, they weren’t feeling well, so we took them out,” Reid said.

One particular concern was the condition of Bradley, who stumbled onto the grass at the Linc and appeared to be semi-conscious after he was accidently hit by team mate Ernie Sims in the first half.

“I know our doctors and [Trainer] Rick [burkholder] were on top of it. They thought he tested out okay on the sideline,” Reid said.

Burkholder also has extensive training in dealing with concussions.

But that won’t stop the questions from the media, in the wake of growing attention to the NFL’s history of dealing with head injuries.

A new NFL policy states that players can’t return to a game if they “show any symptoms of Lost consciousness, Confusion or disorientation, Amnesia, Abnormalities in a neurological exam (i.e. dizziness, uneven balance) or Persistent headache or nausea.”

Players also can’t play in a game if they have a concussion and can’t pass a battery of tests after five days.

That would only allow Kolb or Bradley to practice for a day with the team before it heads to Detroit to play the Lions next Sunday.

Fox 29 medical contributor Dr. Mike Cirigliano, who is an Associate Professor of Medicine and practicing internist at the University of Pennsylvania, doesn’t think Kolb and Bradley should have been sent back into the Packers’ game.

“We need to examine the patient. If the mechanism of injury – just like we have instant replay – is such that there is serious harm, serious damage to the brain, they should not play,” Cirigliano said.

Cirigliano believes players should be examined in a locker room, not on the sidelines.

“If they had gone back and got hit again, there would be a lot more questions,” Cirigliano said.

That did not happen, as Bradley and Kolb were pulled at halftime.

The issue of concussions is of growing concern on the NFL as reports indicate some former players may have symptoms resembling ALS.

The players’ union has also made concussions an issue as part of negotiations over a new labor agreement with the league.

In 2009, the NFL expanded its concussion guidelines .

A player who suffers a concussion can'treturn to play day if any of the following six classes of symptoms or signs is identified based on the initial medical evaluation of the player

Vick Or Kolb: Here’s One Vote For No. 7

joseph santoliquito

Joseph Santoliquito - WIP Blogger, News,Philadelphia Eagles

9/12/2010

9:26 pm

By Joseph Santoliquito

Somewhere you can almost imagine Donovan McNabb falling backward laughing hysterically on the floor. You can’t blame him for thinking ‘This is what they’ve replaced me with?” It gets even funnier when you consider backup center Mike McGlynn had more receptions in the first two quarters of the season than DeSean Jackson did. But you knew this was coming, didn’t you? You could see it from a galaxy away and all it took was one game.

So let the debate begin: Should the Eagles start Michael Vick or Kevin Kolb against the Detroit Lions next week, after Kolb’s woeful performance and seeing Vick almost singlehandedly resurrect the Eagles against Green Bay?

Kolb went 5-for-10 for 24 yards in one half, his longest completion for 6 yards, before leaving the game in the second half with a concussion. Vick, facing a 27-10 deficit at the start of the third quarter, rushed for a game-high 103 yards (the 10th 100-yard rushing game in his career) and threw for 175 yards, completing 16-of-24, including a touchdown. He made what looked like a joke of a game into something compelling. His emergence will also have Eagles Nation debating aloud this entire week who provides the best chance for the Eagles to win.

The Packers were certainly shaking their heads and pleased that they won’t have to see Vick again this season. They were run ragged by what appeared to be the vintage Vick.

“The guy brought new life to that team, and the thing is, the more he gets in, the better and better he’s going to look,” said Packers’ nose guard B.J. Raji. “He still has an ability to make plays, regardless of where he is on the field. Vick certainly adds a new dimension to their offense. I’d say it’s almost a completely different offense when Vick is in there, as opposed to Kolb. Don’t get me wrong, I think Kolb is a great player, but with Michael Vick, he adds an escapeability to the Eagles that they don’t have with Kolb. Believe me, they were a completely different team with Vick in there than Kolb.”

Troy Aikman, the color analyst calling the game for Fox, was effusive in his praise for Vick.

“I thought Vick was sensational,” the Hall of Fame quarterback said. “He did a heck of a job and brought some real energy and enthusiasm to the Eagles. You saw that. But I also know the way Philly is, too. I know for certain this is going to be a point of discussion all week long in this city. But I also know Andy Reid very well. Andy is a loyal guy, and he’s the kind of guy who will stick to his guns. He won’t change. Andy will stick by Kolb, because that’s his guy. That’s the guy Andy drafted, and that’s the guy Andy traded Donovan McNabb away for.”

But Reid also had to see the marked difference in the way Vick ran the Eagles’ offense, as opposed to the way Kolb did. Let’s be honest here: Kolb was a major flop in his debut as the anointed new Eagles’ starting quarterback. He seemed restless and unsure. He was tentative, doing many of the things starting NFL quarterbacks shouldn’t do. His decision-making was atrocious. He looked like a little kid trying to play with men. That’s how bad he looked. When Kolb left the Eagles’ locker room Sunday night, he wore the glazed veneer of a fighter who just got knocked out. It was an NFL punch from a powerhouse team that said-”You’re not ready yet.”

The Packers’ Clay Matthews was tremendous. The second-year linebacker out of USC was all over the field, and made the play of the game when he stopped Vick on fourth-and-1 at the Packers’ 42 with two minutes left to play.

“I’m still gassed from running around after Vick,” Matthews said. “The guy can still play. Just look around this locker room and see the faces of the defense in here. We’re all a little winded trying to catch Vick. The guy can move, and the guy can play. He adds a dimension to that team that becomes really tough to stop. Vick is a threat to run and a threat to pass. You really don’t know what he’s going to do, and it’s something we were lucky we prepared for.”

Right now, right here, this is one vote for Michael Vick as the Eagles’ starter against Detroit next week. Will it happen? Not likely. Reid is very stubborn, and he may even be willing to stick with his decision to start Kolb, if Kolb is physically able to start. Reid will make the choice despite the truth, just to make a point, regardless of how listless the Eagles’ offense looked under Kolb.

Vick was certainly feeling good about his performance. So good that after the game, he threw a dagger in Kolb’s back, saying, “I can still play at a high level. If I was out there for four quarters, I felt maybe we would have had a chance to win the game.”

It’s not exactly a ringing endorsement for Kolb, unlike the vocal public push Kolb gave Vick during training camp. Though what spilled out of Vick’s mouth is the truth. This isn’t high school or college, where a program is willing to live and die through the growing pangs of its new starting QB. This is the NFL, where wins and losses mean food on the table for the players surrounding Kolb.

And if you asked the team that beat the Eagles, a team that could very well go deep into the playoffs, what they thought and who they would rather not see again …

“I don’t want to see Vick again,” Matthews said emphatically. “We knew what the Eagles would do on that [fourth-down play that decided the game]. We knew they would try a quarterback sneak. But with someone like Vick, you just don’t know. That guy is problems for anyone. But that’s not really a question I have to ask. It’s a question the Eagles and the fans here in Philly have to ask: Who’s going to be the starter next week? That’s the real question.”

I really like Vick. I was glad to see him play well last week and I hope he continues to play well.

I see Kolb as the starter barring injury and/or atrocious play, but I don't totally get the "Kolb is Reid's guy and untouchable" talk.

What do people think Vick is to Reid?

-He alienated a good chunk of the fan base (when he already had 2 pretty good QBs) to sign Vick, who was at the time and still is, the most hated athlete in all of sports (not to mention hadn't played football in a really long time and was a horrible fit for the system).

-Despite the fact that Vick did essentially nothing on the field on 2009 and the entire world took it as a forgone conclusion that the Iggles wouldn't pick up Vick's rather expensive option, they did anyway.

Alot of teams/coaches do what the Eagles did with/for Kolb. They used a 2nd round pick to get him and gave him money before he had ever done anything. This happens all the time in the NFL. It's not a big deal to give up on the Kellen Clemens' and the John Becks of the league, if that's what Kolb shows himself to be.

What the Eagles/Reid did for Vick? That was and still is a truly unique situation. They've gone out on a limb for him and believed in him when no one else did on a number of occasions now.

I don't see how people are so certain about all of this. It looks to me like Reid has 2 "guys" and the one who's playing the best will continue to play.

Listening to Adam Schefter this morning, the medical recommendation is to wait at least one week from the last indication of the concussion. He was vomiting and whatnot on Monday, he said. Given that, I'd say he might be out.I find it amazing that these football players play but Jason Bay missed the entire season in baseball. I'm far from a doctor, so maybe I should shut my face and stick to something I know about :shrug:
:popcorn: I was just thinking about Morneau being on the DL since the early part of July with a concussion.With all the talk about being more careful in how the NFL handles concussions, I was expecting a three week minimum benching.Did anyone that got one last year only miss one week?
Just what I was thinking - are baseball players really that soft or is the sport that strict? Morneau is out for 3 months with a concussion and can't play a limited contact sport while Kolb is looking at coming back in a week or 2? Also had Ellsbury who literally missed an entire season with broken ribs while most NFL players are back in 2 weeks. Strange.Anyway - I grabbed Vick off WW for a ton and am going with him this week....hope he at least gets me one win for the cost.

:popcorn: I was just thinking about Morneau being on the DL since the early part of July with a concussion.With all the talk about being more careful in how the NFL handles concussions, I was expecting a three week minimum benching.Did anyone that got one last year only miss one week?
Just what I was thinking - are baseball players really that soft or is the sport that strict? Morneau is out for 3 months with a concussion and can't play a limited contact sport while Kolb is looking at coming back in a week or 2? Also had Ellsbury who literally missed an entire season with broken ribs while most NFL players are back in 2 weeks. Strange.Anyway - I grabbed Vick off WW for a ton and am going with him this week....hope he at least gets me one win for the cost.
morneau is soft. thats all you need to know.

Nobody put a waiver bid on him in my league... found that quite surprising, but nice to get him for free.
guy paid $55 ( we have $100 total) I thought that was crazy especially since the guy already has Brees.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5584228

interview on espn

PHILADELPHIA -- Michael Vick has always appreciated the chance that the Philadelphia Eagles gave him to return to the NFL. Now, he's getting an opportunity to return the favor.

Vick will start at quarterback for the Eagles on Sunday against the Detroit Lions, the first time he's been under center at the start of a game since his time with the Atlanta Falcons -- long before the world learned about his cruel world of dogfighting.

Eagles coach Andy Reid made it official Friday when he ruled quarterback Kevin Kolb out for Sunday's game with the concussion he suffered in their season-opening loss to the Green Bay Packers. Middle linebacker Stewart Bradley was also ruled out with a concussion.

Reid said that both players passed the written part of the concussion test, but they had to see Dr. William Welch to pass the next phase. That appointment was set for Friday.

"We'll see how that goes before we go any further," Reid said.

Meanwhile, the Eagles head to Detroit looking to even their record at 1-1. And starting at quarterback will be Vick, who last started the final game of the 2006 season for the Falcons against, ironically enough, the Eagles.

"It would be gratifying," Vick said of leading the Eagles to a win. "This team took a chance on me when not many others would."

Vick missed the entire 2007 and '08 seasons after his involvement in a dogfighting ring came to light. The Eagles signed him last preseason and, after serving a four-game suspension, he played in 12 regular-season games for the team primarily as an option in the wildcat formation.

For the season, Vick completed 6 of 13 passes for 86 yards with one touchdown. He also ran the ball 24 times for 95 yards and two touchdowns.

Any rust that may have been lingering came off in chunks last week against the Packers, though, when Vick came into the game in the second half with the Eagles trailing 20-3. His elusiveness in the open field and strong arm helped Philadelphia get within 27-20, before his last drive stalled on fourth-and-1 from the Green Bay 42.

Vick still finished 16 of 24 for 175 yards and a touchdown while running for 103 yards.

"Michael is excited to step in and play," Reid said. "As we all know, he was one of the great quarterbacks in the league before he was incarcerated.

"He did a great job of getting back into shape, that's number one. Then, the speed of the game -- you're talking about a guy who was one of the fastest players in the game and he was stumbling a little last preseason. Then you look last Sunday and he was as fast as he was. He not only ran for 100 yards, but he also threw the ball well."

Vick took all the reps with the first team in practice this week and should be as ready to start as he's been since he left the Falcons.

"This is a big game," Vick said. "It's not about me making my first start or none of that. I've put all of that aside. It's about us going on the road and trying to get a win. We need to go out there and get a win, that's what matters. Nobody wants to be 0-2."

fwiw he does mention in the interview that "kolb will be back next week". I think that is Vick trying to be humble and 'saying the right thing', which for some isn't a big step. For Michael it is.

saw an interesting stat on the espn. Said in designed runs vick gained like 60 yards on 12 plays. In 'broken' plays, he gained 100+ yards on like 4-5 of em.

oh and this link has a hot chick giving her fantasy predictions on vick. is this new?

accuscore weather-- hot chick predicts 3-1 Td-int ratio

great idea...

i might be in the minority here, but i dont see vick doing anything special this week in Det.

it's mostly due to gut feeling , injuries, and the fact that Det. is somewhat improved and pissed aboot last week.

guy paid $55 ( we have $100 total) I thought that was crazy especially since the guy already has Brees.
WTF? thats called bad money management
:thumbup: If Kolb was out for the season it might be defensible. No way under the circumstances.
In my FA$ league one guy bid 71 to get him (or higher, and next lowest was 70) of 200 dollars on vick.Same guy also bid 129 on Austin Collie, and he's a bit of a wildcard, but just thought i'd throw that out there. ETA before you think he spent all his pts on those two players, he also sold players (too cheaply in my opnion) to get extra dollars, so when bidding he had like 240.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/0...m_source=HITpol

and a video. very odd to see this on PBS...

[video starts talking vick at 2:45 or so]

pretty funny to watch a trio of PBS :nerds: talk vick and football. lotta bad puns...

:thumbup:

Shields and Brooks on 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' Michael Vick, the Shotgun Offense

BY: HARI SREENIVASAN

I might have finally figured out after nine or so months what makes this little segment of ours so unique: It is the only program I know of that tackles both what is at times the "sport of politics" and the "politics of sport." It is a real pleasure working with these two gentlemen, Mark Shields and David Brooks, because as they have highlighted week after week, they are far more than political commentators, they are scholars of sports as well.

So this week, we began with the potential repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, which is making waves once again as a defense spending bill comes up for a vote on Tuesday. At issue is whether amendment language including the repeal will be allowed. Pop star Lady Gaga has jumped headlong into the fray, trading in her eye-catching costumes and elaborate stages for what seems like a confessional booth from where she can make a plea to U.S. senators to sway their votes.

And on the sports front, Michael Vick will be the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles this weekend. Here our dynamic duo weigh in on that and so much more:

Also if you'd like to help name our segment, we're looking for something in a nutshell that speaks to both politics and sports. Current contenders are at this online

poll [link]

Users who are viewing this thread