What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Vick gets hit late all the time anybody cant see that youre bl (1 Viewer)

Terrell Suggs on Jim Rome just said Vick is not getting the calls. Rome asks why...Suggs kind of makes up an answer but is dancing around the real issue.
The real issue being that he's a threat to run and therefore won't (and shouldn't) be allowed to have his cake and eat it too?
Seriously. MOP really bringing the garbage in this thread. The issue isn't whether or not he's getting treated differently than guys like Brady and Manning, it's whether he's getting treated differently than guys like Cutler, Roethlisberger and Tarvaris Jackson. Guys like Brady and Manning don't run with the ball. QBs get treated differently when they're in the pocket and passing than when they're out of the pocket and potentially a runner. And that's exactly how it should be. If Vick is going to hold the ball, pump fake, and then juke a guy at the last second and take off for a 30 yard gain, you can't ask defenders to pull up at the very last second when he looks like he's going to pass.And regardless, defenders are given a step against pretty much all QBs. If a QB wait until a defender is a step away to release the ball, he can expect to get hit with no call as long as the defender doesn't spear him, lead with the crown of the helmet, or drive the QB into the ground. The problem is simply that Vick holds onto the ball too long. Guys like Brady and Manning get the ball out so quickly that when they're hit, it's by guys that are 2 and 3 steps away that really are hitting them way late.And again, the stats seem to back this up. Vick actually leads the league in personal foul calls/late hits, whatever you want to classify them as. If he's upset that he's getting hit while running, well, learn to either throw the ball away or, you know, actually slide. He gets hit unnecessarily a lot simply because he doesn't know how to slide. Seriously. He even admitted to the Philly media that he never learned to slide, doesn't want to, and will never learn to. So he takes extra hits just because he won't slide. So defenders are going to tee off on him. Tough cookies. You don't want to get hit like a RB gets hit, than don't act like a RB out there.

'dawhole9 said:
These refs need to treat him like a QB.
FAIL. They will when he acts like a QB. Start running and a defender is going to plant your ### in the ground like a tulip. They are allowed to.Forgot this part: :fishing:

Last edited by a moderator:
'dawhole9 said:
'Dizzy said:
What's with the sudden shock about Mike Vick being injury prone. He's always been reckless, small, and skinny... that doesn't change now that he's older and a little slower.Dream Team! :banned:
He got hurt in the pocket Einstein, both injuries.
Yeah everyone should just automatically assume Vick's gonna stay in the pocket. :rolleyes:

Speaking to reporters as he was leaving the Eagles' facility on Monday, Vick said his hand is "still swollen, still sore" and displayed a large cast he is wearing. He also said he won't be complaining about the referees anymore. On Sunday he blasted officials, saying he wants to be treated like other quarterbacks.

Vick said he respected the jobs the referees have to do and wouldn't call them out again.

"The refs have to do their jobs and they have tons of things to look over," he said. "I was kind of out of character and being too candid in that aspect. Ultimately I have respect for the referees and their decision to make calls ... you won't hear me complaining about it anymore."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7022398/michael-vick-philadelphia-eagles-hand-bruised-qb-backs-refs

Terrell Suggs on Jim Rome just said Vick is not getting the calls. Rome asks why...Suggs kind of makes up an answer but is dancing around the real issue.
The real issue being that he's a threat to run and therefore won't (and shouldn't) be allowed to have his cake and eat it too?
Seriously. MOP really bringing the garbage in this thread. The issue isn't whether or not he's getting treated differently than guys like Brady and Manning, it's whether he's getting treated differently than guys like Cutler, Roethlisberger and Tarvaris Jackson. Guys like Brady and Manning don't run with the ball. QBs get treated differently when they're in the pocket and passing than when they're out of the pocket and potentially a runner. And that's exactly how it should be. If Vick is going to hold the ball, pump fake, and then juke a guy at the last second and take off for a 30 yard gain, you can't ask defenders to pull up at the very last second when he looks like he's going to pass.And regardless, defenders are given a step against pretty much all QBs. If a QB wait until a defender is a step away to release the ball, he can expect to get hit with no call as long as the defender doesn't spear him, lead with the crown of the helmet, or drive the QB into the ground. The problem is simply that Vick holds onto the ball too long. Guys like Brady and Manning get the ball out so quickly that when they're hit, it's by guys that are 2 and 3 steps away that really are hitting them way late.And again, the stats seem to back this up. Vick actually leads the league in personal foul calls/late hits, whatever you want to classify them as. If he's upset that he's getting hit while running, well, learn to either throw the ball away or, you know, actually slide. He gets hit unnecessarily a lot simply because he doesn't know how to slide. Seriously. He even admitted to the Philly media that he never learned to slide, doesn't want to, and will never learn to. So he takes extra hits just because he won't slide. So defenders are going to tee off on him. Tough cookies. You don't want to get hit like a RB gets hit, than don't act like a RB out there.
outstanding post . . .

Poor Mike. I really feel sorry for him. I just wish he could get a fair shake. It's so obvious that the NFL doesn't like him and is conspiring against him. I just hope he has the mental strength to overcome this persecution.

LOL Vick CRYING and Tommy Jackson and Meshawn Johnson trying to take up for him. So lame at least they were set straight by 2 guys that actually played the position in Trent Dilfer and Steve Young. Stop with the whoa is me Vick. All QB's get hit, you will take more cause your O-line sucks, you are very mobile and you hold on to the ball to the last second cause you think you can make something outa nothing on every play. Stop crying and come back the next week and man up. It's is not easy being the preseason Super Bowl Champs.

why can't he just say

"We lost, but we will be back and we will do better next week" ??

Micheal Vick playing style over the years is the reason why the officials are a lil hesitant to throw the penalty flag, Bro maybe if you slide once in a while you wouldn't be getting beat up so bad, Reid and the Philly coaches are trying to make Mike something that he isn't a pocket passer, and the irony is this year he's getting more beat up than ever staying in the pocket. the reason Brady and Manning etc gets those calls is because they are smarter QBs than you, Quit complaining learn how to slide, gaining an extra yard head first isn't worth the injury. He's turning into a real liability because now you don't know that quarter he'll get hurt. His athletic gifts are a gift and a curse.

Speaking to reporters as he was leaving the Eagles' facility on Monday, Vick said his hand is "still swollen, still sore" and displayed a large cast he is wearing. He also said he won't be complaining about the referees anymore. On Sunday he blasted officials, saying he wants to be treated like other quarterbacks.

Vick said he respected the jobs the referees have to do and wouldn't call them out again.

"The refs have to do their jobs and they have tons of things to look over," he said. "I was kind of out of character and being too candid in that aspect. Ultimately I have respect for the referees and their decision to make calls ... you won't hear me complaining about it anymore."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7022398/michael-vick-philadelphia-eagles-hand-bruised-qb-backs-refs
:lmao: That wasn't "out of character" at all for Michael Vick.

:lmao: That wasn't "out of character" at all for Michael Vick.
I was wondering how quick someone was going to jump on that.It really isnt out of character. The guy is a narcissist. Now he's frustrated and blowing steam. Great fodder for the Vick haters.

I just want him to finish games and start playing like he did last year. Get it together Reid and #7!!!

:banned:

If everyone keeps repeating that he's not a turd than eventually it will be true, right?
Huh?Who cares if he's a turd or not? And I doubt anybody in the SP has spent time with him anyway.He's a football player, not a teacher, preacher, or public servant.I know plenty of turds in everyday life. Some of them are professionally successful, some are not. Who cares?

Not a wise move for him to lash out @ the officials because the fix on Vick and the Eagles could be in ala the Miami Heat, LOL A lot of this is on Andy Reid, he's trying to turn Vick into Aaron Rodgers instead of his High risk Very high reward playing style. The O-line isn't helping much either though, but I swear sometimes it seems like Vick has zero instants on his blind side, can't you feel or even smell when a sweaty 300LB beast his is near your head ready to decapitate you? lol

I'm not going to read through all of the overboard and meaningless Vick hate or self indulgent Vick apologist. I will say that getting the great fortune of seeing every Eagles game televised in my market, Vick does get hit a awful lot. Some is his playing style, some is not. Yes, it does seem many other QBs would get a lot of flags thrown where he doesn't. I can pretty much guarantee guys like Brady and Manning would.

Of course Brady and Manning would the flag because they use their brain in unison with the rest of their body and don't try to be superman on every play. I have Vick on my fantasy team and I'm black, LOL ha ha He's not spared he just needs to play smarter and stop always acting like superman on every play.

Who is going to be the first one, on television, to say Vick does not get the calls because of his color? Tonight, Tom Jackson seemed to want to say it and his anger was funny to say the least, but who is going to turn this into a race issue?

So far, it appears to be kept to football and stats indicating Vick gets more calls, but someone is bound to bring race into this. Where is Limbaugh for some comedy?

Someone will slip up soon, LOL who is the Stephen A Smith of the NFL, I'm sure a couple guys are saying it off the record, that there's a conspiracy against Vick since the (you know what).

Vick to the Refs "This is my world you just live in it, now make those calls...Waaaahhhhh"

Refs to Vick "Oh yes sir master, Would you also like some Cheese with that whine as well?"

Welcome to the beginning of end of the new beginning for Vick.....

'jurb26 said:
I'm not going to read through all of the overboard and meaningless Vick hate or self indulgent Vick apologist. I will say that getting the great fortune of seeing every Eagles game televised in my market, Vick does get hit a awful lot. Some is his playing style, some is not. Yes, it does seem many other QBs would get a lot of flags thrown where he doesn't. I can pretty much guarantee guys like Brady and Manning would.
Now this sounds like a pretty objective and unbiased viewpoint. I will usually try to remain fair and objective, but admittedly, my passion for Eagles green gets the better of me on occasion. I agree that when Vick is running with the ball he is fair gam But when he has already gotten rid of the ball and the defender can clearly see that but punishes him anyway, under the current rules (which I hate), a flag should be thrown.

'VaTerp said:
'FunkyTeaParty said:
If everyone keeps repeating that he's not a turd than eventually it will be true, right?
Huh?Who cares if he's a turd or not? And I doubt anybody in the SP has spent time with him anyway.He's a football player, not a teacher, preacher, or public servant.I know plenty of turds in everyday life. Some of them are professionally successful, some are not. Who cares?
Apparently, you do, or else you wouldn't have taken the time to tell everyone how you don't care.

'VaTerp said:
'FunkyTeaParty said:
Apparently, you do, or else you wouldn't have taken the time to tell everyone how you don't care.
Nice try but not really...

I really wished people would stop bringing up Brady and Manning.

Let's face it...those two get ALL THE CALLS. Comparing ANY QB to them is fruitless. Brady especially...no one gets those ticky tack bs calls like him.

As for Vick...sure, he gets hit...but like we've all said, that's because of his style of play. Brady or Manning would've already gotten rid of the ball or just fall to the ground knowing they'll get the yardage back on the next play/set of downs. Vick is like Roethlisberger and will ALWAYS be looking to make something out of nothing. But he's smaller and more frail...so he's going to break much faster than Ben.

It's just going to end up being another frustrating season for Philly and somehow the blame will fall on Vick or the refs or someone other than Reid. Just like I predicted it would end with McNabb. How that Reid keeps a job is beyond me. He's the new Shottenheimer to me. He'll make your team respectable and build you up to a point but then you'll always come up short because he's just not as bright as everyone seems to think he is...it seems like every game there's a time management/field management decision that he makes that ends up screwing the team. Already this year, he decided not to challenge that interception that was obviously not an interception in that Atlanta game. The guy is a hack. Look at how they've found a way to declaw Vick of his weapons. Let him play more fluidly and let him roll out and move around...it's what the guy does. If you don't want that...then don't let the Commissioner steer that type of player your way. Reid consistently ends up blowing his way through his timeouts and leaves the team in a lurch at the end of halves. He is a coordinator and an excellent one at that...or at best, a GM...but he is not a coach and never will be.

Plus, lot's of people just don't like Vick because he's a despicable person. Maybe some of the refs have a pet that they love. Or perhaps they didn't relish having to tell their grandkids why a convicted gambler and animal torturer, a man who threw his kids' family pets into the ring to be mauled, gets to play in the NFL. Just spitballing here.

I disagree. The issue is whether or not he is being treated differently, period. Not in comparison to one QB type vs another. You can't have varying rules depending on your skill set. Also, he absolutely is not upset that he is getting hit while running, he is complaining about every time he passes (from the pocket, from outside the pocket etc.) he gets hit. I watch the games-he's not lying. Dude is on his ### every play. Some of that is because the Oline crumbles, some of that is him holding onto the ball too long and some of that is defenders hitting him late. The fact that he leads the league in late hit calls should prove the point. According to that stat, he is getting hit late/illegally more than anyone else. It stands to reason that there is some number of late hits that are not being called right? Whether or not you want to believe that the refs are giving the defenses a little latitude, the fact remains the guy is getting creamed with illegal hits (again-leads the league). I think this is the basis of his frustration. I don't think its whining. I think that if just about any other QB was getting hit illegally as much as he is it would be a bigger deal. Christ, all I hear about on Sportscenter is how often Cutler is getting hit in Martz' offense and how big of a deal it is. Those are based on legal hits (sacks).

Also, he absolutely is not upset that he is getting hit while running, he is complaining about every time he passes (from the pocket, from outside the pocket etc.) he gets hit. I watch the games-he's not lying. Dude is on his ### every play. Some of that is because the Oline crumbles, some of that is him holding onto the ball too long and some of that is defenders hitting him late.

The fact that he leads the league in late hit calls should prove the point. According to that stat, he is getting hit late/illegally more than anyone else. It stands to reason that there is some number of late hits that are not being called right? Whether or not you want to believe that the refs are giving the defenses a little latitude, the fact remains the guy is getting creamed with illegal hits (again-leads the league). I think this is the basis of his frustration. I don't think its whining.

I think that if just about any other QB was getting hit illegally as much as he is it would be a bigger deal. Christ, all I hear about on Sportscenter is how often Cutler is getting hit in Martz' offense and how big of a deal it is. Those are based on legal hits (sacks).
He's not upset about getting hit a lot, he's upset about not getting the calls that "everyone else is getting".Clearly he's getting plenty of calls if he's leading the league in roughing the passer calls.

His exact quote was "I don't know why I'm not getting the 15 yard flag like everyone else does".

Plus, lot's of people just don't like Vick because he's a despicable person. Maybe some of the refs have a pet that they love. Or perhaps they didn't relish having to tell their grandkids why a convicted gambler and animal torturer, a man who threw his kids' family pets into the ring to be mauled, gets to play in the NFL. Just spitballing here.
Please stop it with this pointless hyperbole. It has nothing to do with the game of football. It is irrelevant to applying the rules of the game evenly and equally. And if its not, then there is a much larger problem at hand. You don't like Vick, great. Keep the conversation on topic.

Please stop it with this pointless hyperbole. It has nothing to do with the game of football. It is irrelevant to applying the rules of the game evenly and equally. And if its not, then there is a much larger problem at hand. You don't like Vick, great. Keep the conversation on topic.
The rules are never applied fairly. Vick is bringing it up, and I think if you truly want to discuss the issue, it's that most people don't like Vick because he's a pretty vile human being. I think that's exactly why he doesn't get the calls. Where is the hyperbole? I'm simply speculating because I don't know any of the refs personally and can't ask them.

The rules are never applied fairly. Vick is bringing it up, and I think if you truly want to discuss the issue, it's that most people don't like Vick because he's a pretty vile human being. I think that's exactly why he doesn't get the calls. Where is the hyperbole? I'm simply speculating because I don't know any of the refs personally and can't ask them.
as long as you agree that he is unfairly not getting the late hit calls that others would, as he stated in his press conference, I guess we agree...

I disagree. The issue is whether or not he is being treated differently, period. Not in comparison to one QB type vs another. You can't have varying rules depending on your skill set. Also, he absolutely is not upset that he is getting hit while running, he is complaining about every time he passes (from the pocket, from outside the pocket etc.) he gets hit. I watch the games-he's not lying. Dude is on his ### every play. Some of that is because the Oline crumbles, some of that is him holding onto the ball too long and some of that is defenders hitting him late. The fact that he leads the league in late hit calls should prove the point. According to that stat, he is getting hit late/illegally more than anyone else. It stands to reason that there is some number of late hits that are not being called right? Whether or not you want to believe that the refs are giving the defenses a little latitude, the fact remains the guy is getting creamed with illegal hits (again-leads the league). I think this is the basis of his frustration. I don't think its whining. I think that if just about any other QB was getting hit illegally as much as he is it would be a bigger deal. Christ, all I hear about on Sportscenter is how often Cutler is getting hit in Martz' offense and how big of a deal it is. Those are based on legal hits (sacks).
He doesn't get as many flags as a couple of elite, face of the league, pocket QBs. Star system application of penalties is nothing new, and happens in the NFL as well as every other major sport.He does get as many or more flags than every other QB in the league. The "late" hits you're talking about are the 1 step after releasing the ball type hits. That's a gray area for everybody. Of the highlight hits on Vick I've seen this year, I have seen none that were obvious, 2+ steps to the hit after release, while he's in the pocket, roughing calls. Its football. :football: Man up!

Maybe the refs have a daughter with herpes. :shrug:

He doesn't get as many flags as a couple of elite, face of the league, pocket QBs. Star system application of penalties is nothing new, and happens in the NFL as well as every other major sport.He does get as many or more flags than every other QB in the league. The "late" hits you're talking about are the 1 step after releasing the ball type hits. That's a gray area for everybody. Of the highlight hits on Vick I've seen this year, I have seen none that were obvious, 2+ steps to the hit after release, while he's in the pocket, roughing calls. Its football. :football: Man up!
I'm not gonna say that all the hits are blatant penalties, and I understand that there is a gray area with a lot of the hits he takes. All I'm saying is that I watch every Birds game, usually more than once. The defenders do NOT hold back on those close ones when they definitely would against Manning/Brady/Rivers/Brees etc. Also, I think the man up thing is pretty silly. Dude is very tough from what I've seen, he looked like he was frustrated on Sunday when they wouldn't let him back in. Guy gets his ### handed to him every game and he keeps coming back for more. He is a polarizing figure in sports, so I understand the backlash at him calling out the officiating. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. This has been going on since he got to Philly and he and the organization brought up their concerns regarding the non calls with the NFL prior to the start of this season FWIW...

I'm not gonna say that all the hits are blatant penalties, and I understand that there is a gray area with a lot of the hits he takes. All I'm saying is that I watch every Birds game, usually more than once. The defenders do NOT hold back on those close ones when they definitely would against Manning/Brady/Rivers/Brees etc. Also, I think the man up thing is pretty silly. Dude is very tough from what I've seen, he looked like he was frustrated on Sunday when they wouldn't let him back in. Guy gets his ### handed to him every game and he keeps coming back for more. He is a polarizing figure in sports, so I understand the backlash at him calling out the officiating. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. This has been going on since he got to Philly and he and the organization brought up their concerns regarding the non calls with the NFL prior to the start of this season FWIW...
You have to see that you are probably a little bit bias here.As a Cowboys fan i acknowledge i am bias in the other direction, even if i think i am being as unbiased as i can.But listen to what vick says"I get hit on almost every play"the people you mentioned do not. Vick is under pressure, holding the ball, and taking more hits. As you take more hits there are going to be more where the hit is in that zone where it may be flagged and it may not. No one has pointed out any major hits where an obvious flag was missed, there are several borderline ones. More hit is going to equal more borderline ones. It is not that hard to figure that out. If you assume there is no league or ref bias against vick you can start to look at why he may have the perception that he does not get the calls.They need to protect him better, have him get rid of the ball quicker, and be in a position to be hit less often if they want him healthy.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the guy and should express it, as long as it's not in a classless manner.

If this was word association and everyone here had to describe him in one word there would be a lot of different answers. Vick isn't a kid anymore, he's been in the league a while now, it's time for him to play a lot smarter where he should have the "live to see another play mentality" because a lot of times watching him play some the extra hits he takes are pointless.

I do agree that Andy Reid is a great Offensive Coordinator and not a head coach, that guy is brutal at managing a game. The whole Eagles situation is a train wreck right now, but I bet you if they go on a winning streak and Vick gets smashed on every play you won't hear a word out of his mouth about not getting the calls. How did a lil guy like Doug Flutie survive playing for so long with the recklessness @ times, he was smart. Drew Brees that seem to be indestructible these days and is smaller than Vick why so, because his overall Football IQ is a lot higher than Vick's.

My biggest problem with the post game press conference was one minute he goes off on the refs for not making the calls then the next minute he apologises? Really ? what the hell is that... If you going to say something with such conviction why go back on it, it makes everyone believe he's just a baby and cries when he doesn't get his way.

If Philly had won the game would he have complained about not getting the calls? I highly doubt it. I didn't hear him complaining about late hits last year. Funny what losing a couple of big games does to people. Many people seem to forget When he got hurt and left the field against the Falcons didn't he point@ the score board when they had the lead? Eagles lost that game, when the Giants beat him last Sunday now he complains, Wasn't hearing him complain after the Deshawn Jackson game winning punt return last year.

Great thread guys

You have to see that you are probably a little bit bias here.As a Cowboys fan i acknowledge i am bias in the other direction, even if i think i am being as unbiased as i can.But listen to what vick says"I get hit on almost every play"the people you mentioned do not. Vick is under pressure, holding the ball, and taking more hits. As you take more hits there are going to be more where the hit is in that zone where it may be flagged and it may not. No one has pointed out any major hits where an obvious flag was missed, there are several borderline ones. More hit is going to equal more borderline ones. It is not that hard to figure that out. If you assume there is no league or ref bias against vick you can start to look at why he may have the perception that he does not get the calls.They need to protect him better, have him get rid of the ball quicker, and be in a position to be hit less often if they want him healthy.
I definitely am biased, even if I try to not be. That bias, however means that I see a lot more plays than the casual FF player that is not an Eagles fan. Its an exaggeration to say he gets hit on every play, but he gets hit a lot. I don't have the time to stream games and find major hits that are obvious late shots, but I will say that in my watching games most of the hits are not major. Typically, its little pushes and things to knock him down, occasionally its a real shot. Regardless the more legal hits he takes, the more illegal ones he'll take too. Its on the refs to see the difference and call it accordingly. Just because our Oline is swiss cheese and Vick is a mobile QB shouldn't preclude the refs from making the right calls. JMO (biased as it may be).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/27/pereira-calls-vicks-complaint-a-bunch-of-bull/

Pereira calls Vicks complaints a bunch of bull

Posted by Mike Florio on September 27, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT

APThe NFL is saying nothing about Eagles quarterback Mike Vicks recent complaints regarding the late of roughing the passer penalties. (We know this because we asked the NFL.) Former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira is saying plenty.

Appearing on Mad Dog Radios Evan and Phillips in the Morning (on SiriusXM Radio), Pereira was pointed in his criticism of Vicks criticism.

Well, I thought it was ridiculous, said Pereira, who now serves as a rules analyst for FOX. It actually took me back, it took me back to my job in New York when I worked for the league, and it was a constant complaint by the Eagles, whether it was [Donovan] McNabb at quarterback or whether it was Vick. They clearly complained more than any other team.

Pereira pointed to the statistics from ESPN showing the Eagles get more roughing the passer calls than any other team in the NFC East, and the seventh most league-wide.

Hes a quarterback thats on the move, hes going to get hit more, Pereira said. Yes, there are a couple that may be missed but the fact that a ton of them are missed and that hes hit late all the time is absurd. And he comes out and kind of does the mea culpa yesterday but at the same time what did he say? I was being too candid. Well, that doesnt sound to me like much of an apology. And also the damage is done. I dont want to be the referee that goes in there now next and works with him. If he calls a roughing the passer penalty for a hit on Vick everybodys going to say, Well, Vick taunted him into that. If he doesnt [call it] theres going to be more criticism. So I think it was a bunch of bull and it didnt sit well with me and it still doesnt.

Thats a great point from Pereira, and thats why Vick should have said nothing to the media. These are issues that need to be handled privately and discreetly. As NFL spokesman Greg Aiello pointed out via email, We do have a long-standing procedure that gives our teams the opportunity each week to receive a full explanation from our head of officiating about any call that they wish to question.

No one wants to be called out publicly about their performance on the job, especially not NFL referees, who already are the targets for criticism. And so whenever Vick plays next, well all know who the referee is and well be constantly reminded after a hit on Vick whether hes getting the calls that, when speaking candidly, he thinks he should be getting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/27/pereira-calls-vicks-complaint-a-bunch-of-bull/

Pereira calls Vick’s complaints “a bunch of bull”

APThe NFL is saying nothing about Eagles quarterback Mike Vick’s recent complaints regarding the late of roughing the passer penalties. (We know this because we asked the NFL.) Former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira is saying plenty.

Appearing on Mad Dog Radio’s Evan and Phillips in the Morning (on SiriusXM Radio), Pereira was pointed in his criticism of Vick’s criticism.

“Well, I thought it was ridiculous,” said Pereira, who now serves as a rules analyst for FOX. “It actually took me back, it took me back to my job in New York when I worked for the league, and it was a constant complaint by the Eagles, whether it was [Donovan] McNabb at quarterback or whether it was Vick. They clearly complained more than any other team.”

Pereira pointed to the statistics from ESPN showing the Eagles get more roughing the passer calls than any other team in the NFC East, and the seventh most league-wide.

“He’s a quarterback that’s on the move, he’s going to get hit more,” Pereira said. “Yes, there are a couple that may be missed but the fact that a ton of them are missed and that he’s hit late all the time is absurd. And he comes out and kind of does the mea culpa yesterday but at the same time what did he say? ‘I was being too candid.’ Well, that doesn’t sound to me like much of an apology. And also the damage is done. I don’t want to be the referee that goes in there now next and works with him. If he calls a roughing the passer penalty for a hit on Vick everybody’s going to say, ‘Well, Vick taunted him into that.’ If he doesn’t [call it] there’s going to be more criticism. So I think it was a bunch of bull and it didn’t sit well with me and it still doesn’t.”

That’s a great point from Pereira, and that’s why Vick should have said nothing to the media. These are issues that need to be handled privately and discreetly. As NFL spokesman Greg Aiello pointed out via email, “We do have a long-standing procedure that gives our teams the opportunity each week to receive a full explanation from our head of officiating about any call that they wish to question.”

No one wants to be called out publicly about their performance on the job, especially not NFL referees, who already are the targets for criticism. And so whenever Vick plays next, we’ll all know who the referee is — and we’ll be constantly reminded after a hit on Vick whether he’s getting the calls that, when speaking candidly, he thinks he should be getting.
So really once again Vick is just a victim of the culture he's surrounded by. He didn't know it was wrong to kill those dogs and I guess the Eagles have taught him it's ok to be a whiner. :unsure:

APThe NFL is saying nothing about Eagles quarterback Mike Vick’s recent complaints regarding the late of roughing the passer penalties. (We know this because we asked the NFL.) Former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira is saying plenty.

Appearing on Mad Dog Radio’s Evan and Phillips in the Morning (on SiriusXM Radio), Pereira was pointed in his criticism of Vick’s criticism.

“Well, I thought it was ridiculous,” said Pereira, who now serves as a rules analyst for FOX. “It actually took me back, it took me back to my job in New York when I worked for the league, and it was a constant complaint by the Eagles, whether it was [Donovan] McNabb at quarterback or whether it was Vick. They clearly complained more than any other team.”

“He’s a quarterback that’s on the move, he’s going to get hit more,” Pereira said. “Yes, there are a couple that may be missed but the fact that a ton of them are missed and that he’s hit late all the time is absurd. And he comes out and kind of does the mea culpa yesterday but at the same time what did he say? ‘I was being too candid.’ Well, that doesn’t sound to me like much of an apology. And also the damage is done. I don’t want to be the referee that goes in there now next and works with him. If he calls a roughing the passer penalty for a hit on Vick everybody’s going to say, ‘Well, Vick taunted him into that.’ If he doesn’t [call it] there’s going to be more criticism. So I think it was a bunch of bull and it didn’t sit well with me and it still doesn’t.”

That’s a great point from Pereira, and that’s why Vick should have said nothing to the media. These are issues that need to be handled privately and discreetly. As NFL spokesman Greg Aiello pointed out via email, “We do have a long-standing procedure that gives our teams the opportunity each week to receive a full explanation from our head of officiating about any call that they wish to question.”

No one wants to be called out publicly about their performance on the job, especially not NFL referees, who already are the targets for criticism. And so whenever Vick plays next, we’ll all know who the referee is — and we’ll be constantly reminded after a hit on Vick whether he’s getting the calls that, when speaking candidly, he thinks he should be getting.
geez, you want to talk about bias? Pereira is still in 'defend the NFL' mode from when he did the weekly NFL Network spots that talked about controversial plays. Give me a break. Also, regarding the bold-They did try to handle it discreetly, through channels set up by the league, prior to the season starting. Nothing has been done to curb it, in their opinion. FWIW, I think this was a shark move by Vick, because after all the hoopla and up-in-arms former/current NFL employees are done shaking their heads, what you'll be left with is very few refs wanting to be scrutinized for their non-calls in big games. This should afford Vick the protection he wants, like it or not.

FWIW, I think this was a shark move by Vick, because after all the hoopla and up-in-arms former/current NFL employees are done shaking their heads, what you'll be left with is very few refs wanting to be scrutinized for their non-calls in big games. This should afford Vick the protection he wants, like it or not.
I doubt it, I seriously doubt it. Let all the talking heads talk. What are they going to do about it... talk. If I am a ref, I change nothing of what I was doing. If I ref in one of Vick's games, I tell him at the beginning of the game, "hold onto the ball, players have a right to hit the ball holder." Either Vick learns or he whines.Protection? Fix your O-line and Vick's mechanics before blaming a third party. Lol at this hoopla. :cry: :cry:

geez, you want to talk about bias? Pereira is still in 'defend the NFL' mode from when he did the weekly NFL Network spots that talked about controversial plays. Give me a break. Also, regarding the bold-They did try to handle it discreetly, through channels set up by the league, prior to the season starting. Nothing has been done to curb it, in their opinion. FWIW, I think this was a shark move by Vick, because after all the hoopla and up-in-arms former/current NFL employees are done shaking their heads, what you'll be left with is very few refs wanting to be scrutinized for their non-calls in big games. This should afford Vick the protection he wants, like it or not.
Pereira had statistics to back up his point and defend himself from allegations of bias. As a clearly biased observer, where are the statistics that back up your perspective?I've always thought that whining and calling out the refs was just as likely to subconsciously turn then against you as for you. Especially with something like late hits, where there's so much subjectivity that almost every call or no-call is defensible. Nobody likes a crybaby, and it's not like the refs have to defend their calls in the media so accountability isn't a concern in that respect. They just have to defend themselves to their peers and their bosses, who probably also don't view Vick quite as kindly as they did before he mouthed off and then didn't really apologize for it. I guess maybe we'll see.

'unckeyherb said:
'B-Deep said:
I definitely am biased, even if I try to not be. That bias, however means that I see a lot more plays than the casual FF player that is not an Eagles fan. Its an exaggeration to say he gets hit on every play, but he gets hit a lot. I don't have the time to stream games and find major hits that are obvious late shots, but I will say that in my watching games most of the hits are not major. Typically, its little pushes and things to knock him down, occasionally its a real shot. Regardless the more legal hits he takes, the more illegal ones he'll take too. Its on the refs to see the difference and call it accordingly. Just because our Oline is swiss cheese and Vick is a mobile QB shouldn't preclude the refs from making the right calls. JMO (biased as it may be).
you missed my point entirelyhe gets hit a lotwhy?because he is in a position to get hit a lot more than brady and manningso if X percent of hits are borderlineand brady and manning get hit Y timesbut vick gets hit 2Y timesTHENVick will have more borderline hits. IT does not mean he does not get the calls because he is vick, it means borderline calls are just that, and he is in a spot where he is taking more hits so of course more of them are on the edge and of course not all those will get a callone thing that you would see if this is true is vick getting more calls in terms of quantity by the nature of the fact that he takes more hits, and sure enough that plays outSo vick needs to realign his thinking and stop trying to be a victim. He takes too many hits, they are not all going to be called, he needs to find a way to take less hits

I live in the Philly market and watch every Eagles game as well. And the bottom line is that he isn't getting treated any differently. The reason he gets hit so much is:

a) He is running an average of 8 times a game right now and it would be more if he hadn't missed so much time. Since he doesn't know how to slide and has said he has no plans to learn, he's going to get hit on every one of those where he doesn't get out of bounds. And that includes runs where he is getting out of bounds too slowly and he gets creamed while still inbounds because the defender doesn't want him planting his foot and heading right passed him upfield while the defender looks like an idiot for "giving up on the play."

b) He holds onto the ball way too long. It's been a little while since I heard the statistic, but Vick holds the ball about 1.5-2 seconds longer than guys like Manning and Brady. That's an eternity in the NFL and it's going to lead to more hits. It's exactly the reason why the Bills went to a spread offense with quick drops. Defenders don't even have time to get to Ryan Fitzpatrick anymore because he gets the ball out of his hand so quickly. The Bills have given up 2 sacks so far this year, one of which was entirely on Brad Smith since he had multiple open receivers and didn't throw the ball.

c) The O-line in Philly is garbage. They're just downright terrible. Defenders get on Vick super quick. He's constantly being forced out of the pocket after his drop or rolling out of the pocket even without pressure because he's so afraid of the pressure. Defenders get to Vick more quickly and more often than in New England (for example) because the quality of the offensive lines is so disparate. This not only leads to more hits, but as soon as Vick moves out of the pocket, he's no longer protected the same as when he's in the pocket because he's now a passer/runner instead of just a passer. Guys are going to be given an extra half step or step leniency because Vick is on the move and guys are trying to make tackles.

I pretty much see only Eagles fans defending Vick on this issue. Yet I haven't seen a single Eagles fan provide evidence that supports an argument that Vick receives more unflagged illegal hits than any other QB. The basis of their argument is usually something to the effect of "I watch every Eagles game and you can just tell that he takes more hits than Brady/Manning........".

Users who are viewing this thread