What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies - Artist - Round 3 - #1's have been posted! (4 Viewers)

I've got 3 artists I'm still deliberating. I have all 3 playlists pared down to 31 songs but it's a tough call for me.

One of the bands is an extremely well known band that's one of my favorites ever. I suspect almost all participants will know most/all of the songs in my 31.
The other 2 artists are lesser known but not obscure---some will know a fair amount of their work.

I'm going to wait to see if some of you make my decision for me.....
That's what I was going to say. Or if all 3 are still around, make the choice based on what style or era might not be as represented with the other chosen artists.

I'm in... and for this round I will select... Iron and Wine. Sam Beam is one of my all-time favorite singer songwriters. They have a new album out and I am seeing them in concert next month, so I want to dive into it.
Awesome - the wife and I are going to a show in a few weeks as well.

Curtis Mayfield (including both solo and The Impressions)
Sitting here outside on a nice sunny day listening to some of the FBG Summer Grooves playlists and felt like typing a bit more here….

I don’t think he needs much introduction, but thought would provide a little of the thought process. I’ll concede that as of this time a year ago, I knew Mayfield’s biggest hits from the Superfly, Curtis, and Roots albums, but that was about it as far as my knowledge of Mayfield went. I don’t think was too familiar (if at all) with his earlier work with The Impressions or his lesser-known solo stuff.

After the Nina Simone obsession for the last MAD round, I honestly felt a bit adrift… all of those civil rights anthems, like “Mississippi ******,” “Young, Gifted, and Black,” “I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free,” “Backlash Blues,” etc. I was struggling trying to find something else that grabbed me quite like that. That led me into my dive into The Impressions and their civil rights anthems. Spent much of the winter exploring their albums and the rest of Mayfield’s catalog. Quickly appreciated why he is celebrated among the greats. So, I feel a bit late to the game, but picking Mayfield fits where my head is right now.

I’m probably going to split my Mayfield list about equally between The Impressions and his solo stuff. I expect to also include some stuff that he wrote and produced for artists like Gladys Knight & The Pips and The Staple Singers.

Curtis Mayfield (including both solo and The Impressions)
Sitting here outside on a nice sunny day listening to some of the FBG Summer Grooves playlists and felt like typing a bit more here….

I don’t think he needs much introduction, but thought would provide a little of the thought process. I’ll concede that as of this time a year ago, I knew Mayfield’s biggest hits from the Superfly, Curtis, and Roots albums, but that was about it as far as my knowledge of Mayfield went. I don’t think was too familiar (if at all) with his earlier work with The Impressions or his lesser-known solo stuff.

After the Nina Simone obsession for the last MAD round, I honestly felt a bit adrift… all of those civil rights anthems, like “Mississippi ******,” “Young, Gifted, and Black,” “I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free,” “Backlash Blues,” etc. I was struggling trying to find something else that grabbed me quite like that. That led me into my dive into The Impressions and their civil rights anthems. Spent much of the winter exploring their albums and the rest of Mayfield’s catalog. Quickly appreciated why he is celebrated among the greats. So, I feel a bit late to the game, but picking Mayfield fits where my head is right now.

I’m probably going to split my Mayfield list about equally between The Impressions and his solo stuff. I expect to also include some stuff that he wrote and produced for artists like Gladys Knight & The Pips and The Staple Singers.
This is one I am looking forward to the most.

I was on the fence for a while, still am a bit, but with rolling in the summer I’ll take one of my favorite bands even though they’re relatively new.

The wife wanted me to take Old Dominion. But I’ll take another band my wife and daughter met at the iheart country fest last month.

Letting my girl do the introduction.
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/hRzuBpP8WSy4HjpW/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Brothers Osborne

There are so many cool picks in here. I started to "like" them but then gave up. Btw, remember when we only had 10 "likes" to give per day?

Anyway, I hope I'll be able to do more listening in this one than I did in Chapter 2. But with moving two households across the country unexpectedly in the next two months, things will be insane. If we end up doing multiple car trips with stuff, this'll be great, though!

@The Dreaded Marco and @New Binky the Doormat , you know I'm eager to see what your picks will be.

@Zegras11

after much deliberation - I will select

Roxy Music
Now this will be interesting.
How much Eno and how much post Eno.

wait ...what, so Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno individual songs are allowed on this list? I thought about declaring "Bryan Ferry" and grabbing his solo work in addition to Roxy Music - but would rather go with a label that would encompass Eno as well.

ruling @Zegras11 ?
I think what he's talking about is how much Roxy from when Eno was in the band will be on your list vs. how much Roxy from after he left.

@Zegras11

Roxy Music

wait ...what, so Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno individual songs are allowed on this list? I thought about declaring "Bryan Ferry" and grabbing his solo work in addition to Roxy Music - but would rather go with a label that would encompass Eno as well.

ruling @Zegras11 ?
I think what he's talking about is how much Roxy from when Eno was in the band will be on your list vs. how much Roxy from after he left.

makes more sense ...but how legit is the inclusion of the individual artist members' songs?

@Zegras11

Roxy Music

ruling @Zegras11 ?

makes more sense ...but how legit is the inclusion of the individual artist members' songs?
My opinion is that it's all legit

@Zegras11

Roxy Music

ruling @Zegras11 ?

My opinion is that it's all legit
Binky = not legit

@Zegras11

Roxy Music

ruling @Zegras11 ?
I think if you chose Bryan Ferry you would get all of Roxys work plus Ferrys solo material. Eno being there is irrelevant as Ferry covers the same time.
If you chose Brian Eno, you only get the Roxy from his time in the band and his solo stuff.
You cannot get both Eno and Ferry solo stuff….I think lol.
Unless you happen to have a New Binky the Doormats Secret Identity ID lying around

We have had several instances of someone choosing an artist and all their incarnations eg Damon Albarn (Blur, Gorillaz, The Good The Bad and the Queen, etc)

We have had several instances of someone choosing an artist and all their incarnations eg Damon Albarn (Blur, Gorillaz, The Good The Bad and the Queen, etc)

I excluded Blur songs written and/or sung by Graham Coxon from the Albarn countdown.

This doesn't really apply to Eno's stint in Roxy Music although it would be fun to hear "Music for Airports" after Judas Priest in the mix.

@Zegras11

Roxy Music

ruling @Zegras11 ?
I think if you chose Bryan Ferry you would get all of Roxys work plus Ferrys solo material. Eno being there is irrelevant as Ferry covers the same time.
If you chose Brian Eno, you only get the Roxy from his time in the band and his solo stuff.
Unless you happen to have a New Binky the Doormats Secret Identity ID lying around

yeah, agree.

was just hoping enough here may want the rules more "loosely" interpreted - :D

Eno's "Here Come The Warm Jets" could really jazz up a Roxy Music fav list but severely limit the Roxy Music availability

@Zegras11 - so that I can spend countless additional hours on this, I will amend my pick to be "Bryan Ferry" - which will be heavily Roxy Music so we can mix it up a bit more

@Zegras11

Roxy Music

ruling @Zegras11 ?

yeah, agree.

was just hoping enough here may want the rules more "loosely" interpreted - :D

Eno's "Here Come The Warm Jets" could really jazz up a Roxy Music fav list but severely limit the Roxy Music availability

@Zegras11 - so that I can spend countless additional hours on this, I will amend my pick to be "Bryan Ferry" - which will be heavily Roxy Music so we can mix it up a bit more
Which is why I picked Setzer. I get different styles and bands with one pick. Sweet!

(Oops. I don't think they are at this concert.)

Going with an artist who released only five albums in their heyday, which I have listened to all the way through once, a handful of times, or not at all. It’s their live performances that I frequently turn to on YouTube. So this will be as much a discovery for me as it is for you all.

Fanny
@KarmaPolice alert: There will be covers on this list. They were d@mn good at them.

Going with an artist who released only five albums in their heyday, which I have listened to all the way through once, a handful of times, or not at all. It’s their live performances that I frequently turn to on YouTube. So this will be as much a discovery for me as it is for you all.

Fanny
@KarmaPolice alert: There will be covers on this list. They were d@mn good at them.
No rule we have to listen to all the songs. :p

Fanny
There will likely be covers on my list, including the artist covering his own work. Woo-hoo!

I was on the fence for a while, still am a bit, but with rolling in the summer I’ll take one of my favorite bands even though they’re relatively new.

The wife wanted me to take Old Dominion. But I’ll take another band my wife and daughter met at the iheart country fest last month.

Brothers Osborne
After trying to put the list together, I realized while about a dozen of their songs are among my favorites, I want more really good to great songs to fill the song list. So I’m falling an audible. Change from a country band from Maryland that sounds like they’re from Texas to a rock band from Texas which kinda sounds like they’re from New England. Conveniently, same initials too.

Blue October

Brothers Osborne
After trying to put the list together, I realized while about a dozen of their songs are among my favorites, I want more really good to great songs to fill the song list. So I’m falling an audible. Change from a country band from Maryland that sounds like they’re from Texas to a rock band from Texas which kinda sounds like they’re from New England. Conveniently, same initials too.

Blue October
I don't think I've ever heard of either, so looking forward to your 31.

I need clarification on something...

If one chooses a band, and individual band members release material during the band's active period, can those songs be included? The reason I'm asking is that more songs on my list are written/performed by other band members, yet there are a couple songs my artist released as a side project between the band's albums, so it's not like picking The Beatles and then including any of their post-breakup solo material on the technicality that they were in The Beatles. If it's not an issue, I would like to switch my choice from the individual (Justin Hayward) to his band (The Moody Blues).

:hophead:
TIA

If one chooses a band, and individual band members release material during the band's active period, can those songs be included? The reason I'm asking is that more songs on my list are written/performed by other band members, yet there are a couple songs my artist released as a side project between the band's albums, so it's not like picking The Beatles and then including any of their post-breakup solo material on the technicality that they were in The Beatles. If it's not an issue, I would like to switch my choice from the individual (Justin Hayward) to his band (The Moody Blues).

TIA
just take Dave Grohl. 😉

I don’t believe I’ll have any covers this time but will strongly encourage using a live version for at least a few songs.

Although I’m not sure how different Spotify is from Pandora regarding which live albums are available.

I don’t believe I’ll have any covers this time but will strongly encourage using a live version for at least a few songs.

Although I’m not sure how different Spotify is from Pandora regarding which live albums are available.
I have 0 clue if any of the songs on my list are covers. I do currently have 4 live versions. As I dug through and preferred a couple of those to the studio versions.

Last edited:

TIA
That's ok

TIA
That's ok
Thank you. Change my artist from Justin Hayward to The Moody Blues.

Users who are viewing this thread