What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

Way behind on writeups. Maybe today with the snow and work being called off, but I've been having issues with my elbow/nerve so I haven't been at the computer as much either. I think I have all the ones posted done, and was going to start making and adding the playlists for the rest of the artists not on the spreadsheet.

Here's the John Prine palylist

I listened to this one this morning. I bought Prine's self-titled first album in the '00s, and it remains one of the greatest singer-songwriter albums and a massive influence on the whole alt-country/Americana thing. I was not too familiar with his subsequent work. What strikes me is that while there are obvious parallels between the first album and Dylan's best '60s material, much of the later work parallels other phases of Dylan's career. They seemed to share an affinity for certain kinds of arrangements.

Here are the ones I really liked that are not from the debut album:

Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
Christmas in Prison
That's the Way that the World Goes Round (live)
Sweet Revenge
Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow)
In Spite of Ourselves -- while this is a wreck vocally -- I find both singers extremely limited and Dement bordering on grating -- the lyrics and the verve with which they are delivered are special
Mexican Home

Listened to @falguy 's Collective Soul playlist this afternoon. Beforehand, I knew only the songs that got airplay on "modern rock" radio in the '90s. I remember at the time they were slagged on for not being grunge, basically. But their material has held up well. If they had come along 10-20 years later, they would have fit in perfectly with the Imagine Dragons and OneRepublics and no one would have complained that they should have been something else.

Songs I know and like:
The World I Know
Precious Declaration
Heavy
December
Listen
Gel
Shine

Songs I didn't know that stood out:
Run
Under Heaven's Skies
Perfect Day
Tremble for My Beloved (I never saw Twilight or heard its soundtrack)
When the Water Falls
This

For some synergy between this MAD exercise and the next one, Collective Soul did an excellent cover of a relatively obscure Neil Young song called Opera Star (#121 in my Neil countdown): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ycd1PpFj0I

Not sure if I ever posted the Sufjan playlist here or just texted it to KP but here it is

Added to spreadsheet.

Not sure if I ever posted the Sufjan playlist here or just texted it to KP but here it is

Listened to this today. Fantastic songwriting and arrangements. He is truly gifted. Favorites included:

All of Me Wants All of You
Mystery of Love
Tonya Harding
All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands
Flint (for the Unemployed and Underpaid)
Vito's Ordination Song
Casmir Pulaski Day
They Are Night Zombies and so on
Chicago
Fourth of July

While Chicago, the only song I knew coming into this exercise, is still my favorite and IMO is his magnum opus, Fourth of July is close.

Tonya Harding
I couldn't sleep last night, so I started channel surfing around 1 am or so, and I, Tonya was on so I watched it. I saw it back when it came out, but I haven't seen it since then, and I forgot how much I liked it. I just listened to this song out of curiosity, and I like it, especially the lyrics.
Yeah I really liked the movie as well. It managed to be funny but I thought still very respectful of the people involved.

I have to give you my Sia Introduction/Writeup now because I am leaving for Hawaii later this week. Hooray for being behind on the playlists before it even begins! This writeup and a lot of my song writeups will be summarized from various reddit posts as I'm fairly new to most of her catalog.

Sia Kate Isobelle Furler

Sia is an Australian singer/songwriter/producer/activist/wig enthusiast, She is famous for her unique raspy voice and voice cracks, and songwriting credits. Sia's music has changed genres a couple of times over her career. She started out singing for an acid jazz band called Crisp. When they disbanded in 1997, she then did some vocals for the British triphop duo Zero 7, before releasing her solo albums and seeing some success. If you've ever watched the HBO show "Six Feet Under", in particular the finale (AKA best series finale ever), I'm sure you remember and recognize one song that grew popular in the US because of its use in this episode. A few more years down the line, she began doing some songwriting for other pop artists before releasing her own pop albums that thrust her into stardom.

Sia's catalog can be categorized as pre-2010 and post-2010. While her life has always been problematic, in 2010, her growing fame, couple with her addictions, depression, and diagnosis with Graves disease took its toll. She refused to do promos for her tours, began to wear a mask on stage and became increasingly dependent on drugs and alcohol on the road. This nearly drove her to suicide. She took a hiatus from singing and public appearances, and began her career as a songwriter, writing songs for other famous and rising pop stars including Beyoncé, Kylie Minogue, Flo Rida and Rihanna. In 2014, she burst back onto the scene with what many consider her magnum opus album that was praised for its personal tone and showcased Sia's vulnerable side. This also marked her transition from an indie "jazzy rock" singer to full on pop music. Because of all of this, I have chosen to present her playlist in chronological order. I will include my personal rankings in song writeups.

What to expect from a Sia song:

Pre-2010:
Minimal, upbeat jazz influenced songs with themes being introspective or relationship based. Some labels for this stage of her career have included jazz, folktronica, synthpop.
Post-2010: Electro-heavy, down tempo songs, with powerful vocals and lyrics full of metaphors about her own personal conflicts.

My playlist will also include some interesting covers Sia has done, as well as some songs from other artists that she has written. So if you see a song on the playlist from a seemingly new artist out of nowhere, it's a song Sia wrote. Since these come right in the middle of her career, this will be a nice intermission in between her pre and post 2010 work.

Why did I choose Sia?

When I did my Sigur Ros playlist, I mentioned that I really like music that delivers powerful emotions and really makes you feel things. I feel like Sia's voice and songs deliver this like few other pop artists have. I also wanted to switch it up and go with an artist this is a bit more accessible. I really liked the inclusion of Taylor Swift in the last draft (and was bummed when Beyonce didn't happen), and I feel like this one will have similar vibes, surprising a lot of people who may only see her as a pop singer.

I, like many, first discovered Sia while watching Six Feet Under as mentioned above, and I probably had that song on repeat for a month. Despite this, at the time I never really dove into her catalog, granted this was very early in her career and there was not much solo stuff out there. It wasn't until hearing Chandelier years later on all the radio stations that I realized there was something that clicked with me about her music in general. I now have a bunch of new favorites from this deep dive.
Good day to post the Sia preview. Tonight is the premiere of the new season of Survivor. Sia is a Survivor superfan, obsessed to the point where she gives out money (usually $15K or $100K) to the people she likes most from each season.
I went through the Sia playlist over the past few days.

It's a good reflection of her talent. As I mentioned when I was able to listen to the early playlists, I enjoy the jazzy stuff, but hearing those songs consecutively does make me wonder if I could take an entire album's worth of that.

Favorites after the jazzy stuff included:

Breathe Me
The Girl You Lost to Cocaine
Clap Your Hands
You've Changed -- probably my favorite on the playlist
Fire Meet Gasoline
Cheap Thrills
Chandelier -- I knew this one beforehand, as I suspect did most people

Nina Simone

Pre-MAD31 knowledge: 1/10 Similar to The Jam. Knew the name, probably a song or two but couldn't name one quickly. I think I even had her voice and music style off in my head.

Ooooh that voice. I am glad that I watched the documentary (I think on Netflix?) before Part 2 kicked off, because what really drew me in was knowing a bit about her personality and stage presence to go along with the talent on piano. What I loved the most about the playlist is how that came through on the tunes and the handful of live tracks included. She could and did play it all, and that was what I was struggling with as I went through the playlist a second time. I was getting crabby that 5 wasn't enough to fully express the range and talent in her music. Obvious sign I need to dig into some albums. A couple of the tough cuts were from Wild Is The Wind, so that and a live album will be first in the next phase of research. What did make the list:

Love Me or Leave Me, To Love Somebody, Strange Fruit, Funkier than A Mosquito's Tweeter, and Mississippi ******.

What a talented and fascinating woman. Thanks for the music, @Don Quixote
@Don Quixote Listened to the Nina Simone playlist last night and this morning. KP's take is pretty much mine as well.

I knew her version of Feelin' Good before any discussion of her in the music threads, and I remember Nobody's Fault But Mine, Mississippi Gosh Darn and Sinnerman from past threads here. My favorites from among the rest:

Everything Must Change
Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter
Isn't It a Pity
Wild Is the Wind
Strange Fruit
Four Women
Why? (The King of Love Is Dead)
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
My Sweet Lord / Today Is a Killer

Nina Simone

Pre-MAD31 knowledge: 1/10 Similar to The Jam. Knew the name, probably a song or two but couldn't name one quickly. I think I even had her voice and music style off in my head.

Ooooh that voice. I am glad that I watched the documentary (I think on Netflix?) before Part 2 kicked off, because what really drew me in was knowing a bit about her personality and stage presence to go along with the talent on piano. What I loved the most about the playlist is how that came through on the tunes and the handful of live tracks included. She could and did play it all, and that was what I was struggling with as I went through the playlist a second time. I was getting crabby that 5 wasn't enough to fully express the range and talent in her music. Obvious sign I need to dig into some albums. A couple of the tough cuts were from Wild Is The Wind, so that and a live album will be first in the next phase of research. What did make the list:

Love Me or Leave Me, To Love Somebody, Strange Fruit, Funkier than A Mosquito's Tweeter, and Mississippi ******.

@Don Quixote Listened to the Nina Simone playlist last night and this morning. KP's take is pretty much mine as well.

I knew her version of Feelin' Good before any discussion of her in the music threads, and I remember Nobody's Fault But Mine, Mississippi Gosh Darn and Sinnerman from past threads here. My favorites from among the rest:

Everything Must Change
Isn't It a Pity
Wild Is the Wind
Strange Fruit
Four Women
I really enjoyed that list also.

Nina Simone

Everything Must Change
Isn't It a Pity
Wild Is the Wind
Strange Fruit
Four Women
Glad you enjoyed and discovered some new favorites. I was not sure going in if her catalog would be too familiar, but I’ve been happy to see others getting to enjoy a dive into her music.

Users who are viewing this thread