What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

Mastodon

Pre-MA-D Knowledge: 2/10. I mean, I’ve heard them play, it’s just that it was a Cover of AIC's "Again". Which I think they performed quite well, FWIW. That and a few mentions in prog metal discussions might push it to a 3, but it’s not like I pretend to know much about them.

But yeah, the sound overall is right up my alley, yet they’ve definitely slipped under my radar. To mix metaphors. Plausibly a bit more “heavy metal or no metal at all” (wait, wrong band) than my tastes have been, but that feels like picking nits. Especially with a few songs fitting more into the field of sludge. It’s those and the more melodic songs that resonated strongest with me. I’m a fan of Dream Theater, and while comparisons might be a bit apples-and-oranges, there is some common ground. Or at least more than one song hit me in the “I like the musicianship, but the voice kinda throws me off” kind of response that I’ve heard occasionally

My 5: Show Yourself, The Motherload, The Hunter, Quintessence, Andromeda

Thinning down to 5 proved quite difficult. I ended up with a “short” list of 2-3 times that (from the 31, though I listened to the bonus songs too) and forced myself to whittle it down from there. I’m definitely planning to listen to it again. Maybe listen to just Emperor of Sand separately too since a lot of those songs hit with me. The playlist has every song, after all.

Thanks for the music, @KarmaPolice !

Ok, so my old *** didn't realize there were more artist messages from the Wrapped. That and Mt. Man's post put a huge smile on my hungover mug. I was randomly going through stuff and accidently clicked it. I'm surprised I didn't wake everybody up laughing, not only was there an obvious one I hadn't seen in Mikael from Opeth (they are recording and hitting the road in 2024!!!), but also from MAD artists Spoon and wait.... Elton ****ing John?? :lmao: On my Spotify?

Merry Christmas, all!

Louder had an interesting article about MAD 2’s Rainbow today, focusing on the chaos that was singer Graham Bonnet’s brief time in the band:

Blackmore is a great guitarist but seems to wear out his welcome after 3-4 years. Crazy that he would hide Graham's clothes rather than just asking him to try wearing something else.

Louder had an interesting article about MAD 2’s Rainbow today, focusing on the chaos that was singer Graham Bonnet’s brief time in the band:

Blackmore is a great guitarist but seems to wear out his welcome after 3-4 years. Crazy that he would hide Graham's clothes rather than just asking him to try wearing something else.
There’s a reason why there were personnel changes after every single Rainbow album. He has such high standards and is so difficult to get along with that everyone quit or was fired after a few years, if that.

ETA: The only member in the 70s and 80s who really ever got along with Blackmore was Cozy Powell, and he quit because he hated Since You’ve Been Gone and the change in musical direction it represented.

As far as Round 3, yes for sure. I sense a little music burn out during this round from many of you, so I'd like there to be a break
I definitely agree with taking at least a month or two off in-between rounds 2 and 3, and if @krista4 is around and wants to jump in with a covers list first, than it will be a few more months away.

Maybe we can pick our artists sometime in mid-January so people that really dive into the artist can start without worry of getting sniped.

Thanks for the tag, and thanks to Zegras as well for it. I'm currently on my fourth out-of-town trip since Dec. 6, but when I arrive back home Sunday I should be blissfully travel-free until mid-February. So I'll try to fire up a post in the next week to get it going. Probably will give people until mid-January or so to get their lists in, though I know Pip and Uruk have already completed theirs. :lol:

Hi all! Obviously I've fallen down on the job here. I blame travel, and then COVID, and then I've had some weird back issue the last week that has set me way back. The Middle-Aged Dummy countdowns take a lot of inspiration and energy (given all the contests and creativity, not to mention the math - THE MATH!), and I haven't had any of that!

If you guys would rather do another one of these first instead, I totally get it and am happy to wait. @Zegras11 Otherwise I do swear I'll try to conjure some inspiration in the next few days to get my initial post going. Either way is fine with me. :)

As far as Round 3, yes for sure. I sense a little music burn out during this round from many of you, so I'd like there to be a break
I definitely agree with taking at least a month or two off in-between rounds 2 and 3, and if @krista4 is around and wants to jump in with a covers list first, than it will be a few more months away.

Maybe we can pick our artists sometime in mid-January so people that really dive into the artist can start without worry of getting sniped.

Thanks for the tag, and thanks to Zegras as well for it. I'm currently on my fourth out-of-town trip since Dec. 6, but when I arrive back home Sunday I should be blissfully travel-free until mid-February. So I'll try to fire up a post in the next week to get it going. Probably will give people until mid-January or so to get their lists in, though I know Pip and Uruk have already completed theirs. :lol:

Hi all! Obviously I've fallen down on the job here. I blame travel, and then COVID, and then I've had some weird back issue the last week that has set me way back. The Middle-Aged Dummy countdowns take a lot of inspiration and energy (given all the contests and creativity, not to mention the math - THE MATH!), and I haven't had any of that!

If you guys would rather do another one of these first instead, I totally get it and am happy to wait. @Zegras11 Otherwise I do swear I'll try to conjure some inspiration in the next few days to get my initial post going. Either way is fine with me. :)
If you are up for it, I'd sort of like to do a different draft for a bit. I'm still working on Setzer, but the holidays have cut into that.

I'm in favor of the cover song thread next. Not sure how it will work, but I've bookmarked about 80 songs, so far.

I'm in favor of the cover song thread next. Not sure how it will work
This is one reason why I'm out on cover songs. It would have to be a straight up draft and I think we'll have the 2023 song draft coming up.
There's no way everyone can submit a list in advance without a good probability of duplication.

This is one reason why I'm out on cover songs. It would have to be a straight up draft and I think we'll have the 2023 song draft coming up.
There's no way everyone can submit a list in advance without a good probability of duplication.
There were many songs that received multiple listings in @krista4’s US, UK and International countdowns as well. Tracking that was a large part of them as it’s basically a consensus ranking of the best cover songs of all time (in theory).

I'm in favor of the cover song thread next. Not sure how it will work, but I've bookmarked about 80 songs, so far.
I’d also be down for a cover song draft as a change of pace before doing another artists thread.

There were many songs that received multiple listings in @krista4’s US, UK and International countdowns as well. Tracking that was a large part of them as it’s basically a consensus ranking of the best cover songs of all time (in theory).

Thanks. Yes, the Middle-Aged Dummy countdowns were very different from these artist deep-dives. I see several people have mentioned a covers "draft." That would be fine, though I thought it had been done before. And someone else would need to run that. All fine with me, whatever you folks decide. If you want a regular-style M-AD countdown of covers, I'll run that.

I’m in for a “MAD” countdown of covers. I’ve been slowly working on adding songs to a cover playlist.

I’d skip a draft though — prefer the MAD approach of upfront research and then enjoying the music. In drafts, I find spend too much time researching and too little time listening; so, I don’t get to experience as much of the enjoyment of the music.

I'd prefer the covers thing to another round of MAD artists.

In the meantime, I'll start the 2023 year-end song draft next week unless @Northern Voice wants to run it. That usually draws a different crowd than this thread though.
I think Krista would prefer the MAD format version for covers too.
The artist thing I think Zegras wants to take a break

OK, sounds like I should fire up the M-AD covers countdown. I can't say when I will, because I started having some severe pain in the area of my left shoulder blade on Thursday. It seemed a bit better on Friday so I decided not to get it checked out - mistake! As of last night it was worse than ever. I've tried all sorts of pain relievers, heating pads, etc., and it's just not getting any better. Now I'm trying to hold out until I can get in to see the doctor, which would be Tuesday at earliest. Anyway, it makes doing anything hard, and my brain isn't working well due to pain. Fingers crossed I'll be better soon.

I don’t think anyone is in any rush for whatever direction we go.

I have ideas for either one and would have fun with either.

I believe it’s Krista’s turn though - although I don’t think anyone opposes that take.

but I was planning to go to the NHL Winter Classic tomorrow. :cry:

Aw, Krista, sorry to hear that. That sounds like a Kraken good time, too! I hope you feel better soon and the diagnosis winds up as non-serious as can be.
At least the Kraken decided to win for you.
I also liked that they had a 14-year-old left-handed guitarist play the Hendrix arrangement of The Star Spangled Banner.

Yeah, that was really cool. And the win was nice! It was fun to watch on TV. Loved the intro where people were throwing fish above the players as they walked out. :lol:

Tonight I listened to the Ben Folds playlist from @Hov34 . I have always enjoyed his piano-driven power pop but have never delved deeply into it. I am familiar with the first two BFF records. Here are the songs that stood out that are not from those albums:

Landed -- Reminds me of the brilliant first two solo albums by Jason Falkner, about whom I've raved in various threads on this board.
Still Fighting It -- Compelling ballad with slight tinges of the sunnier side of psychedelia.
Army -- Love Folds' percussive piano style on the verses and how it contrasts with the more florid style on the choruses.
Bruised -- I had no idea that the three Bens of power pop made an album together. I am going to have to investigate this further. This song definitely delivers the goods.
Michael Praytor, Five Years Later -- The story is one of Folds' best, and the piano tells a story of its own.
Cologne -- Fantastic melody and string arrangement.

Tonight I listened to the Ben Folds playlist from @Hov34 . I have always enjoyed his piano-driven power pop but have never delved deeply into it. I am familiar with the first two BFF records. Here are the songs that stood out that are not from those albums:

Landed -- Reminds me of the brilliant first two solo albums by Jason Falkner, about whom I've raved in various threads on this board.
Still Fighting It -- Compelling ballad with slight tinges of the sunnier side of psychedelia.
Army -- Love Folds' percussive piano style on the verses and how it contrasts with the more florid style on the choruses.
Bruised -- I had no idea that the three Bens of power pop made an album together. I am going to have to investigate this further. This song definitely delivers the goods.
Michael Praytor, Five Years Later -- The story is one of Folds' best, and the piano tells a story of its own.
Of the songs on the playlist that didn't make the top 31, Fired and Narcolepsy are the two that I would have definitely had ranked that highly.

Listened to the Roger Clyne playlist while watching college basketball. As I gathered while listening to playlists each round he’s someone I didn’t know but feels familiar to me and it’s a great listen. Think I like his stuff with the Peacemakers better overall.

I’ve started listening to Neko Case and Silver Jews albums now and will expand within that.

I’ve listened to Sufjan’s new album a few times and I love Illinois so rather than go through that playlist I’ll find the album where I liked the songs as that album was revealed and dive into that next.

Want to get to the Jam playlist soon.

Cover #13: Sweet Soul Music
Performed live at various times; a 1981 version was released on The Jam at the BBC (2002); a 1977 version was released on the 1977 disc of Fire and Skill (2015).
Writers: Sam Cooke, Arthur Conley and Otis Redding
Original or best known version: Arthur Conley

The Jam's two released live performances of Arthur Conley's 1967 hit Sweet Soul Music (which he co-wrote with Otis Redding; Sam Cooke was added to the writing credits after his business partner sued Conley and Redding for appropriating Cooke's "Yeah Man") are as good a marker as any for how the band's relationship to soul music progressed over their career. The 1977 version is pure adrenaline, more sweat than sweet. The 1981 version, recorded in a BBC studio, features horns and bears more resemblance to the arrangement of the original, which the 1977 edition of the band could probably not have pulled off.

At #12, more Kinksian goodness from All Mod Cons.

The original is one of my favorite songs, period. The Jam do great punk rock work with it.

Just finished the David Berman/Silver Jews playlist from @The Dreaded Marco . He's an excellent lyricist, though I don't know if I could take him in large doses. He does this sort of melodic non-singing like Lou Reed and Leonard Cohen did in their later years, and that's not really my thing. At times he sounded to me like the male version of Lucinda Williams. You may disagree, but it makes sense in my head. The songs that stood out to me:

All My Happiness Is Gone
Snow Is Falling in Manhattan
The Wild Kindness
People
San Francisco B.C.
Punks in the Beerlight
Buckingham Rabbit
Margaritas at the Mall
There Is a Place
We Could Be Looking for the Same Thing
Dallas
Strange Victory, Strange Defeat
Sometimes a Pony Gets Depressed
Suffering Jukebox

Interestingly, many of my favorites were from the Tanglewood Numbers album, the reviews for which weren't always enthusiastic because of the music often being more prominent than the lyrics. But I guess that's how I prefer him.

I found the setlist of the Ben Folds Five show I saw in 1996 when they opened for Neil Young. Of the 8 songs, 6 appeared on Hov's playlist. Three were from Whenever and Ever Amen, which would not be released for another 7 months.

Blockbuster-Sony Music Entertainment Center, Camden, NJ 8/16/96

Uncle Walter
Where's Summer B.?
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
Alice Childress
Steven's Last Night in Town
Song for the Dumped
Underground
Philosophy

I just remembered that I saw Folds perform solo at a special event in 2004. I had gotten a friend into a Ween show and he said he would repay the favor at some point because his wife worked for a promoter in NYC. One day in September, he called me to say -- you're going to want to use your favor on this. Miller Lite/Miller Genuine Draft had run a contest for people to win tickets to what they called the Miller Rock Thru Time Celebrating 50 Years of Rock Concert. It was a private show at the Roseland Ballroom. The bill was Velvet Revolver, Cheap Trick (with Alice Cooper guesting for one song), The Strokes and Ben Folds. I was high as BALLS, so all I remember about Folds' set is he performed solo on piano. The setlist is not documented anywhere.

I've seen shows by two of the three members of The Bens but Mr. Folds is the odd man out.
I saw Ben Kweller open for my friends' band at the Wetlands in NYC around the time his first album came out. A couple of years later I saw him open for The Moldy Peaches in Philly. I have never seen Ben Lee live.

I made the Faith No More list but I'm not sure where the document is to post the link.

I went to see Laura Jane Grace at a new place in Minneapolis this week. It was a really fun show where she basically took requests from the audience from an hour and mixed in some songs from her upcoming album.

I made the Faith No More list but I'm not sure where the document is to post the link.

I went to see Laura Jane Grace at a new place in Minneapolis this week. It was a really fun show where she basically took requests from the audience from an hour and mixed in some songs from her upcoming album.
It’s here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...LPobbVquc5qcrK1H2Gqfj4Cs/htmlview?pli=1#gid=0

Today I listened to the Drive-By Truckers playlist from @Dr. Octopus . Pretty much equal parts Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rolling Stones and Neil Young/Crazy Horse. So needless to say, I liked a lot of the songs, especially these:

Women Without Whiskey
G@ddamn Lonely Love
My Sweet Annette
Where The Devil Don't Stay
Let There Be Rock
The Southern Thing
Guitar Man Upstairs
Ronnie and Neil -- obviously
Daylight
Danko/Manuel
The Unraveling
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Feb. 14
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Easy on Yourself
Plastic Flowers on the Highway
Primer Coat

Ben FoldsHov34Battle of Who Could Care Less
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.scdn.jpg

Battle of Who Could Care Less

Ben Folds Five · Song · 1997
spotifycdn.com%2Fcdn%2Fimages%2Ffavicon32.b64ecc03.png open.spotify.com
In the '90s I thought the next-to-last line of the chorus was "Honor and happiness." Later I thought it was "Honored unhappiness." Only after looking up the lyrics during this exercise did I realize it was "Unearned unhappiness".

Got around to the Jam playlist- really enjoyed most of it. They're a poppy punk without being punk pop, if that makes sense. I only knew 3 songs prior to jumping in. Will definitely listen to them now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread