What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

It finally stopped raining long enough to get Lou out for a decent walk. I always find the lists via thelukewarm's Spotify profile. I assume KP put MAD2 in a folder or something because it wasn't at the top of the list.

I shuffled up the #1's playlist but couldn't figure out whether the first song was by Faith No More, Incubus, Collective Soul or somebody else. The singer sounded familiar but I couldn't figure out the artist. I checked my phone and discovered it was Clutch from MAD1. :bag:
Yeah, I think I packaged up the MAD activities into folders the other night so I could pin something else near the top. :lol:

Nina Simone

Pre-MAD31 knowledge: 1/10 Similar to The Jam. Knew the name, probably a song or two but couldn't name one quickly. I think I even had her voice and music style off in my head.

Ooooh that voice. I am glad that I watched the documentary (I think on Netflix?) before Part 2 kicked off, because what really drew me in was knowing a bit about her personality and stage presence to go along with the talent on piano. What I loved the most about the playlist is how that came through on the tunes and the handful of live tracks included. She could and did play it all, and that was what I was struggling with as I went through the playlist a second time. I was getting crabby that 5 wasn't enough to fully express the range and talent in her music. Obvious sign I need to dig into some albums. A couple of the tough cuts were from Wild Is The Wind, so that and a live album will be first in the next phase of research. What did make the list:

Love Me or Leave Me, To Love Somebody, Strange Fruit, Funkier than A Mosquito's Tweeter, and Mississippi ******.

What a talented and fascinating woman. Thanks for the music, @Don Quixote

Now, I understand that a good % of Nina's catalog is covers, but as I said - ignorance is bliss on my end for a large amount of that as well.

On my days off I can sometimes get enough listening in to cover 2 artists. Today I was grumpy about having to do that last minute Christmas shopping and grocery shopping but if I do a double feature, it will Beastie Boys and Kid Rock. You're damn right I'm doing that. Kid Rock would be proud to know I will be shopping at Wal-Mart later with his music in my ears and two mental middle fingers raised to everybody around me.

Now, I understand that a good % of Nina's catalog is covers, but as I said - ignorance is bliss on my end for a large amount of that as well.

On my days off I can sometimes get enough listening in to cover 2 artists. Today I was grumpy about having to do that last minute Christmas shopping and grocery shopping but if I do a double feature, it will Beastie Boys and Kid Rock. You're damn right I'm doing that. Kid Rock would be proud to know I will be shopping at Wal-Mart later with his music in my ears and two mental middle fingers raised to everybody around me.
Stay clear of the Bud Lite.

Stay clear of the Bud Lite.
I thought it was PBR only while listening to Mr Rock. Was I doing it wrong? I was getting funny looks while tailgating in WalMart parking lot this morning.

Sorry I haven't been able to comment or join in the discussion. Don't have access to FBG at work and I'm too old to do it on my phone (and too busy lately - which is weird). Thank those of you that have uploaded your playlist, because that's when I'll do the deep dive.

Anyway, here is the only Holiday song from Ben (BFF actually). And just in time for his 5th divorce - dude just needs to stop getting married....

NSFW Language (go figure)

Ben Folds Five - Bizarre Christmas Incident

Since I had so much fun (and wasted so much time) with my Beastie Boys writeups, here are some of my favorites for each of my stupid categories.

Beastie Boys Awards

Peacockin’

Gold 🥇

#17 - Too Many Rappers - Ad-Rock: 3, MCA: 3, Mike D: 4, Beastie Boys: 3, Greater NYC: 1

Silver (tie) 🥈

#6 - Pass the Mic - Ad-Rock: 4, MCA: 5, Mike D: 4, Beastie Boys: 0, Greater NYC: 0

#7 - Paul Revere - Ad-Rock: 2, MCA: 6, Mike D: 4, Beastie Boys: 1, Greater NYC: 0

#23 - The New Style - Ad-Rock: 3, MCA: 2, Mike D: 3, Beastie Boys: 2, Greater NYC: 3

Name Rockin’

Gold 🥇

#10 - Shadrach - Al, Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, Putney Swope, Jacoby & Meyers, Rambo, JD Salinger, Charles Dickens, the (KFC) Colonel, Harry S. Truman, Alfred E. Newman, Jerry Lee Swaggert, Jerry Lee Falwell, Mario Andretti

Silver 🥈

#16 - Ch-Check It Out - Trekkies, Klingons, Lorne Greene, Darrin, Hazel, Einstein, The Rapping Duke, Shazam, Miss Piggy, Cable Guy

Bronze (tie) 🥉

#5 - Sure Shot - Dr. John, Mr. Zu Zu, Lee Dorsey, Mario, Kojak, John Woo, Rod Carew, Cane, Dougie, Lee Perry, Vaughn Bode, Cheech, Ma Bell

#21 - Get It Together - John Starks, John Holmes, Chachi and Joanie, Grandma Hazel, Grandma Tilly, Patty Duke, Evan Bernhard, Biz Markie, Q-Tip

Rhyme Squawckin’

Gold 🥇

#2 - Shake Your Rump - I'm like Sam the Butcher bringing Alice the meat / Like Fred Flintstone driving around with both feet

Silver 🥈

#22 - Car Thief - You be doing nose candy on the Bowie coke mirror / My girl asked for some but I pretended not to hear her

Bronze 🥉

#30 - The Move - I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast / But I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast

:headbang:

Didn't really discover him until 1997 when "Brick" went mainstream. (oddly enough it didn't make the cut - not because I don't like it, it's a truly great and haunting song).
This goes beyond puzzling. Simply a glaring omission.
:no:

Truly a sight to behold. A man beaten. The once great champ, now, a study in moppishness. No longer the victory hungry stallion we've raced so many times before, but a pathetic, washed up, aged ex-champion.

Speaking of the Beastie Boys

Pre MAD31 ka-nowledge: 7/10? I really like them, and Paul's Boutique is an all-timer. For me they have always had that hurdle to overcome as being one of THOSE aritists in the dorms. I swear there was never a point I couldn't hear a Beasties, Beck, or Dave Matthews Band album going. Because of the years (93-95) Paul's wasn't the album that was played to death. After the first four, I don't think I really sat down much and bothered with those, but know of a couple songs on each middle one. If I encountered a song off Hot Sauce Committee before this MAD, I certainly don't remember it.

I really need to listen to them more and test the waters to see if Ill Communication and Check Your Head still have a little stink on them for me. Is it possible that they are underrated or at least that their talent is underrated? There are a few artists I think of similar in that they have a bit of a goofy persona, but if you take the time to dig in and listen there is a lot going on. What makes the lyrics so catchy is the pop culture references that have a more universal starting point for so many people. Plus a bit cleaner and mostly N-word free so you can often sing along aloud doesn't hurt. Part 1 proved that every playlist is going to have a surprise for me unless it's a band I have done a playlist for. As I said above, there was an album I had completely skipped because I thought it was panned. OR I just thought it was a dumb title and confused it with a Limp Bizkit album. Instead of listening to the playlist 2x, I listened one and then I played that album. Holy ****, man - thanks. Such a fun listen, and I probably looped through the first 5 songs a few times after that. Here's what I ended up with:

Shake Your Rump, Intergalactic, Pass the Mic, Root Down, and Make Some Noise

What happened is I loved Too Many Rappers so much and I dug the other two, and that made me want to listen to that album. The album opener got the slight nod over Rappers for me. Must have listened to that song about 10x today.

Thanks for the music, @Yo Mama

Kid Rock

Pre-MAD knowledge: 3/10 Sounds about right. Not sure what others' honest reaction was when they saw the pick, but I had a huge smile on my face. Not something I actively seek out, but have a found amusement of and even liked a few songs. Rock reminds of the crazy rednecks I've encountered around here - 100% guaranteed that you are getting ****ed up somehow - cheap beer being the main mode. After that it's about a 10% change of being the sloppy emotional drunk night, 20% getting into a fight (probably over politics), and 70% the night is ending like The Hangover. And.....

That's basically how the playlist and his music plays as well, in the most glorious way. I knew I'd like a fair chunk of songs, but I liked more than I expected even. I don't know how he does it, but at least IMO he manages to be obnoxious as hell while still coming off as still having a heart and that simple family feel. It's weird. Rarely a song goes by when I'm not laughing at some lyric. I'd probably listen a bit more, but unlike him I don't quite have that level of DGAF so it can't be spun much. Another playlist that I struggled narrowing down songs, and mostly it was picking between the loud DGAF (how I code them in my head) anthems for the playlist. What made the cut:

Amen, Wasting Time, Trucker Anthem, Johnny Cash, and Hillbilly Stomp.

Johnny Cash does similar than another I really like - All Summer Long. The whole playlist had a lot of good tracks, but I really liked the first 4 or 5 and those really stuck with me the rest of the way. In the end, I thought it was a good 5 to represent how I described him and his music above.

Thanks for the music, @snellman

Last edited:
Was I doing it wrong?
There's some video of him shooting up cases of Bud Lite with an assault rifle after Bud Lite hired a transgender spokesperson.
One of my best friends is a huge Kid Rock fan and Bud Light was his beer of choice. After that he switched to Coors Light and calls Bud Light trans fluid lol
He chose unwisely both times but at least Coors only tastes like water, not swill.

Was I doing it wrong?
There's some video of him shooting up cases of Bud Lite with an assault rifle after Bud Lite hired a transgender spokesperson.
One of my best friends is a huge Kid Rock fan and Bud Light was his beer of choice. After that he switched to Coors Light and calls Bud Light trans fluid lol
He chose unwisely both times but at least Coors only tastes like water, not swill.
And 'Silver Bullet' is a cool nickname.

Beg pardons for my lackluster participation in this thread. My attention span is my curse.

But I'm here to Hipple random comments. Let's start with David Bowie. I loved the rankings. Moonage Daydream is the Andrew Luck of David Bowie rankings.

My wholly subjective ranking would have listed Width of a Circle #1. I watched a live performance of it on Don Kirchener's Rock Concert (or Midnight Special) when I was very young, and I swear it changed my brain chemistry - a lot. Mick Ronson slays all. Pretty sure this is it:

I also love Candidate:

Drive-By Truckers. Great list of solid 'A' songs.

Gravitys Gone is the Moonage Daydream of DBT songs. Would have been disappointed if it was not revealed as #1.

A few other favorites of mine.

A top-10 on my sad song list, Panties In Your Purse:

Peak Mike Cooley, One Of These Days:

Pauline Hawkins:

Ramon Casiano. The outro guitar solo stuff repeat-worthy, love it hard. Guessing it's Jason Isbell's guitar.

Beg pardons for my lackluster participation in this thread. My attention span is my curse.

But I'm here to Hipple random comments. Let's start with David Bowie. I loved the rankings. Moonage Daydream is the Andrew Luck of David Bowie rankings.

My wholly subjective ranking would have listed Width of a Circle #1. I watched a live performance of it on Don Kirchener's Rock Concert (or Midnight Special) when I was very young, and I swear it changed my brain chemistry - a lot. Mick Ronson slays all. Pretty sure this is it:

I also love Candidate:

My favorite Bowie not to make this list:

Nick Cave.

Holy cow, what a body of work to sort. If you polled 100 Nick Cave fans for their top-10 songs, how many unique songs would get listed? Answer: a lot. It's a priority to carve off a two-hour window to absorb this playlist because I think I'll discover some new favorites.

A couple of mentions.

The entire No More Shall We Part album. Compelling on the same level as The Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin. Neither lend themselves to single-song highlights, but my goodness they're beautiful.

Come Into My Sleep:

The biggest whiff of my internet career, Local Girl. This song packs an emotional punch.

Weird. I just popped in to read the final page here, and these threads are now 2-for-2 in someone posting a live version of a song featuring Chicago's own Kelly Hogan on backing vocals (the first one had a song from The Decemberists that had Kelly as well as my friend Nora). :)

By the way, I'll post about the new M-AD countdown of covers soon. Came home from New Orleans with a COVID souvenir. Pretty mild case, but it's zapping my energy.
Pretty sure a I dropped a kind word earlier about Kelly Hogan. If not, I sure meant to. Discovering Neko Case's backing vocalists has been my favorite revelation in this exercise.

Kelly Hogan's Tiny Desk:

My favorite backing vocalist is Rachel Flotard. Nothing but love for this:

More love:

Last edited:
My top-31 Los Lobos' songs are the previous 31 Los Lobos songs I've listened too, but one more album shoutout, this time to Kiko and the Lavender Moon

Personal favorite:

Last edited:
My favorite Los Lobos facsimile. The Blazers. Lots of Cumbia if you choose to explore this rabbit hole.

Roger Clyne

Pre-MAD Knowledge 1/10: I didn't know the name, mentally said "oh, yeah" when I read The Refreshments, but it still took all my mental energy to come up with a name for that one song that I knew. I did not know he did the King of the Hill tune.

LOVED the sound here on the playlist. This is the style of music that I dig now and probably did then the more I really think about my collection of CDs I had then. Yes, metal was important in my formative years, but when I think about my college collection mixed in with the metal was a huge dose of bands like Refreshments, Gin Blossoms, Collective Soul, and similar that I would put more in the pop rock genre. You can hear the DNA of Springsteen and Mellencamp and others in here, but he's still his own thing. I'd imagine they are a great, fun concert to see - they have that perfect bar band vibe. What I ended up with:

Good Year, Empty Highway, Maybe We Should Fall in Love, Counterclockwise, Beautiful Disaster

These playlist do a great job of showcasing different sounds from bands. It gets lost in the shuffle a bit on the main MAD playlist, but here I loved the shift in tones. What I coded in my head was Refreshments, Solo Clyne rock/twang, Solo Clyne pop. I seemed to gravitate to the last one most looking at my 5 and what I struggled with cutting. Yet another great playlist. Fittingly, a co-worker said he needed more music and knowing what he liked this was the first playlist I gave him yesterday.

Thanks for the music, @Mt. Man

BTW, only 10K listens/month for Clyne & The Peacemakers? I was jealous of Mt. Man, and now I have to dig deeper down the hole to beat that. ;)
The Refreshments have 103k per month, which is probably a fairer measurement.
I could probably get to low 3 digits, but that's with extreme cherry-picking, not particularly an artist I plan to use. Well, maybe when we're on list #12 or so 🤣

BTW, only 10K listens/month for Clyne & The Peacemakers? I was jealous of Mt. Man, and now I have to dig deeper down the hole to beat that. ;)
The Refreshments have 103k per month, which is probably a fairer measurement.
I could probably get to low 3 digits, but that's with extreme cherry-picking, not particularly an artist I plan to use. Well, maybe when we're on list #12 or so 🤣
In Genrepalooza 4, we had a playlist of songs by artists with under 100k per month. I “won” with 5. (A friend’s old band that they don’t promote in the slightest.)

Los Lobos released a very fine Christmas album in 2019. "Christmas and You" is the only original composition on the record and one of only two tracks sung in English.

I was thinking of you because Los Lobos is doing five nights at my favorite Seattle venue at the beginning of February, but all of the nights are Mr. krista worknights, and I can't think of anyone else I could convince to go. If I lived in Chicago, this would be easy, but my Seattle friends are hikers/climbers, not music people. Sucks.

Last edited:
Los Lobos released a very fine Christmas album in 2019. "Christmas and You" is the only original composition on the record and one of only two tracks sung in English.

I was thinking of you because Los Lobos is doing five nights at my favorite Seattle at the beginning of February, but all of the nights are Mr. krista worknights, and I can't think of anyone else I could convince to go. If I lived in Chicago, this would be easy, but my Seattle friends are hikers/climbers, not music people. Sucks.
I might have to get some recommendations. In September I will be visiting Seattle for a 5 day weekend. I will be pretty busy as I am there for my nephew's wedding but I should have at least 1 day to just explore and would love some ideas of places to eat/drink.

I was thinking of you because Los Lobos is doing five nights at my favorite Seattle at the beginning of February, but all of the nights are Mr. krista worknights, and I can't think of anyone else I could convince to go. If I lived in Chicago, this would be easy, but my Seattle friends are hikers/climbers, not music people. Sucks.
I might have to get some recommendations. In September I will be visiting Seattle for a 5 day weekend. I will be pretty busy as I am there for my nephew's wedding but I should have at least 1 day to just explore and would love some ideas of places to eat/drink.

I'm happy to give suggestions when you get closer to the visit!

The Jam never performed any Christmas songs, but Paul Weller played guitar and sang on Do They Know It’s Christmas? He hated the experience. The reason why is pretty funny in retrospect:

“[The video shoot] was horrible,” be said in a 2021 Q&A. “Everyone was getting off doing blow in the toilets. It probably would have been all right for me in the ’90s but I wasn’t into all that then. I was totally out of my comfort zone”.

Song: My December
Artist: Linkin Park
Album: The Real Slim Santa
Released: 2000
Genre: alternative rock

Chester Bennington said this about the song:

"KROQ started playing the album before anybody else. They invited us to write a song and open up the show last year and this year we came back and we're headlining, it's just crazy."

"We did it a charity album for a radio station in LA a couple of Christmases ago for these guys named Kevin and Bean out in LA. It does a lot of good for some charities and they've done great work and we felt we could something special for them. What was amazing was, that Mike wrote this song in about two hours man. It was ****ing unbelievable. Unbelievable. We recorded in Nashville in a place where ****ing Elvis used to record man. That was kind of creepy, you know what I mean? It worked out pretty well, I think."

Linkin Park wrote this for a KROQ Christmas album, though the song doesn't really remind me of a Christmas song. I like it though.

Bonus: here is the video for the My dcmbr remix version from their Reanimation album, featuring Kelli Ali.

Truly a sight to behold. A man beaten. The once great champ, now, a study in moppishness. No longer the victory hungry stallion we've raced so many times before, but a pathetic, washed up, aged ex-champion.

Two brothers. One speaks no English, the other learned English from watching The Wide World Of Sports. So you tell me which is worse.

Last edited:

Two brothers. One speaks no English, the other learned English from watching The Wide World Of Sports. So you tell me which is worse.
Did he get Jim McKay's accent?

Simple LOL. Had posted more about McKay, but thought better of it. Good broadcaster.

Users who are viewing this thread