What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like Coca Cola
I swear I've heard a version where the lyric is cherry Cola. Am I out of my mind? Or was there an interlude where Coke was suing the Kinks?
You are not crazy. The original was Coca Cola. However, the BBC banned the song from being played as they felt it was advertising. I am not aware of any lawsuits from the Coca Cola company. Anyway, the BBC ban forced The Kinks to re-record the song with the generic cherry cola lyric.
The live version says “cherry cola” also.
Some concert arenas sell only Pepsi products.

5. Don't Take Me Alive is the only song from the album The Royal Scam to appear on my list.

I haven't taken the time in my previous write-ups to give proper details for those less familiar with Steely Dan, and that actually includes myself. I'd like to rectify that a little at this time.

The arc that Steely Dan's story follows is typical and atypical at the same time, with the various members of the band crossing paths with each other before ultimately finding their way to the same place. College buddies Fagan and Becker were joined by Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter (future Doobie Brother as well as highly acclaimed studio musician for a list of big names longer than my arm), who also knew the other founding members: guitarist Denny Dias, drummer Jim Hodder (who I spotlighted earlier) and singer David Palmer, whose other claim to fame was providing the lyrics for Carole King's song Jazzman. With this combination of talented musicians and the songwriting chops of Fagan and Becker, success was inevitable, and with Fagan/Becker as the 'brains' of the band, 'trouble' was also inevitable.

As Fagan and Becker began stretching their songwriting muscles even more, they also became increasingly particular about the musical details, bringing in a list of session musicians that is simply too long and impressive to fully list here. A small taste of the list of session musicians includes another future Dobbie Brother, Michael McDonald, as well as future founding members of Toto Jeff Porcaro and David Paich, and Mark Knopfler for one song on one album. In their later albums, they were able to land some of the jazz and R&B world's heavy hitters to contribute on their post-touring albums.

The more I looked for tidbits of information to add to my write-ups, the more their story told itself. Ultimately, Steely Dan was a perfect storm of talent and internal expectations. What I mean by this is that when Fagan and Becker grew tired of touring and wanted to just make music in the studio, there was no big drama where the rest of the band tried to move on together without Fagan and Becker, but rather each followed the path their talent took them, either to new bands or 'back' to being studio musicians that got to work for some high-profile artists.

Fun fact for you: one of the songs on this album name-drops The Eagles, who in return, included the lyric 'steely knives' in their song Hotel California.

Anyway, on to the song.

In my initial write-up about Fagen, I mentioned his Kubrick-like drive for perfection. This song is an example of what I meant, as session musician Larry Carlton had been added to the band when they moved to studio-only work. His specific sound--something that apparently the other guitarists still in the band, including Elliott Randall, who had done a lot of heavy lifting for the band, including their early hit Reelin' in the Years, couldn't replicate. With a fixed lineup, they don't have that kind of luxury to choose from multiple options.

Finally, there is a line that I think everyone else has mis-heard, so I'll put it to the FFA to decide: Is it "the mechanized hum of another world" or "the mechanized thrum of another world"? I think 'thrum' works better and therefore Fagen himself would have chosen that word instead of 'hum'.

Agents of the law
Luckless pedestrian
I know you're out there
With rage in your eyes and your megaphones
Saying all is forgiven
Mad dog surrender
How can I answer
A man of my mind can do anything

I'm a bookkeeper's son
I don't want to shoot no one
Well I crossed my old man back in Oregon
Don't take me alive
Got a case of dynamite
I could hold out here all night
Yes I crossed my old man back in Oregon
Don't take me alive

Can you hear the evil crowd
The lies and the laughter
I hear my inside
The mechanized hum of another world
Where no sun is shining
No red light flashing
Here in this darkness
I know what I've done
I know all at once who I am

I'm a bookkeeper's son
I don't want to shoot no one
Well I crossed my old man back in Oregon
Don't take me alive
Got a case of dynamite
I could hold out here all night
Yes I crossed my old man back in Oregon
Don't take me alive

I think this is my #1 for Daft Punk, at the very least top 3.

Awesome. Glad you dig it.

I think the four ahead of it are there for very good reasons and the explanations will assuage any doubt you might have regarding why it's not higher on the list.

One was their breakthrough, two charted higher on the world dance music charts (I believe), and one was their origin story set to a track.

It'll make sense and I'll keep writing them up as we get to the nub of it.

5. Heaven Beside You (off Alice in Chains, 1995)

Be what you wanna be
See what you came to see
Been what you wanna be
I don't like what I see

(Official Video) Alice In Chains - Heaven Beside You
(Unplugged Version) Alice In Chains - Heaven Beside You

Again, first I should explain my teaser. The “Explicit” marker on this one is accurate, as AIC drops the F-bomb a few times here. On the radio version (and the official video above, actually), that’s replaced with the phrase “tanked up”. I think I’ve also heard “tacked up”, which I guess is a little more sensible? Anyway, not going to dwell too much on the censoring. Not when there's the music to get into. Jerry and Layne's harmonizing sounds incredibly like one echoing voice here. Perhaps the best example, though that might be bias showing. Soft, pensive, and showing at least two sides of a person.

While what I present is often cribbed from the Internet along with my own experiences, here I quote directly from the Music Bank liner notes from Cantrell. "Another attempt to reconcile the fact that my life and paths are tearing me apart from the person I love. All the songs I write about her are a way for me to maybe speak to her, express things I could never express."

Next on the countdown, an autobiographical song

Last edited:
5. Don't Take Me Alive is the only song from the album The Royal Scam to appear on my list.

I'm a bookkeeper's son
The things you learn after all these years - I always thought it was a pool keeper’s son. 🏊‍♂️

I’m also a big fan of the title track and “Haitian Divorce” but glad to see the tune here.

Last edited:
#5 Lola (1970 - Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part 1)

This is, perhaps, the most iconic and well known Kinks song. I have seen different stories about its inspiration including incidents described about Ray, about Mick Avory, and/or about Robert Wace, the band’s manager. Ray did say he did some research with drag queens while writing the lyrics. While controversial in subject matter, Ray intentionally crafted the lyrics to be a bit ambiguous. Ray would later say “It really doesn’t matter what sex Lola is, I think she’s alright.” The subject matter of this song paved the way for the likes of Lou Reed and David Bowie to incorporate gender fluidity in their work.

This song was written with the intention of being a hit. Ray wanted a catchy tune that people could sing along to, and he realized he got it when hearing his 2 yr old daughter singing the chorus. The album itself is a concept piece about trying to make it in the music industry. The tracks prior to Lola are all pre-fame struggle oriented. The track immediately following Lola is Top of Pops (didn’t miss my list by much) about having a hit song and becoming a star. Seems like a well planned set up. In the context of the album, the song could be taken as a metaphor for the music industry which looks enticing but isn’t necessarily what it seems to be.

One last fun fact on a bit of a personal note, I lost my innocence with this song playing in the background. Too much information?

Bonus Track: Lola Instrumental with a slightly different vibe to it from the 1971 album and movie soundtrack, Percy:

I met her in a club down in old Soho
Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like Coca Cola
C-O-L-A Cola
She walked up to me and she asked me to dance
I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said, "Lola"
L-O-L-A Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola

Well, I'm not the world's most physical guy
But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine
Oh my Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola
Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walked like a woman but talked like a man
Oh my Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola

Well, we drank champagne and danced all night
Under electric candlelight
She picked me up and sat me on her knee
She said, "Little boy, won't you come home with me?"
Well, I'm not the world's most passionate guy
But when I looked in her eyes
Well, I almost fell for my Lola
Lo lo lo lo Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola
Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola

I pushed her away
I walked to the door
I fell to the floor
I got down on my knees
Then I looked at her, and she at me
Well, that's the way that I want it to stay
And I always want it to be that way for my Lola
Lo lo lo lo Lola
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
Except for Lola
Lo lo lo lo Lola

Well, I'd left home just a week before
And I'd never ever kissed a woman before
But Lola smiled and took me by the hand
She said, "Little boy, gonna make you a man"
Well, I'm not the world's most masculine man
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola
Lo lo lo lo Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola

I had a high school teacher whose wife's name was Lola. We used to start singing this in class to agitate him.

Furiously catching up. Would love to see a krista/OH breakdown. I fear my ToD #5 "All St. Day" is a bit of a grower. Our second and final submission from the Source Tags follow-up EP St. Elena's Tomb.

The subsequent full length Worlds Apart we closed out at #6 with "Let It Dive", as catchy a pop number as we get out of these guys. There's an EP demo version, from a special edition of So Divided, on Apple Music that I like a little better, a smoother intro and outro, a little less noisy. But it's not on Spotify or even Youtube. So forget I said anything. Unless you have Apple Music, in which case, check it out yo!

Speaking of So Divided, we done closed that out too at #7 with the Floydian (to me) "Life"

Only two albums left that are represented in the top four.

Our #4 track you should love or hate, get ready to learn all about the Bible.

Bonus track from St Elena's - Crowning of a Heart , more Jason Reece smoothness. One more Reece track yet to come and it can give me chills if I stop and let it. We're done with shouty Reece.

Bonus tracks from Worlds Apart
All White - speaking of Floydy, holy Dark Side, Batman, I love this one though. Short and sweet. I couldn't squeeze it in.
Worlds Apart - A cool post -9/11 track but the laughing kids bit turns me off some tbh.. and we've had enough F yous
Will You Smile Again For Me - this is apparently their top track on Spotify. Quite proggy, I just never got into it so much

As if you didn't have enough to listen to. Do it now!

Foo FightersJust Win BabyTimes Like These

Times Like These is the third song I chose from One By One, the Foos' 4th studio album, which I described in this earlier post. The song peaked at #5 on the Billboard US Alternative Rock chart and #5 on the US Mainstream Rock chart.

Here are several videos:
I just watched that last video about 10 times... I love it. :-)

About this song:

In April 2002, the band... took a break. This was an unofficial hiatus which lasted for three months. Things were uncertain during that time. Although a bit of a break was needed, nobody knew how long the break would be for. Grohl was wondering whether he wanted to bring the band back at all.

During this time, Grohl came up with the basic idea for Times Like These. The song reflects how he felt at the time, which was ‘scared but hopeful’ and ‘like I wasn’t entirely myself’. The idea came in a hurry, and he initially wrote it down on a napkin.

The band hadn’t parted ways under the best of circumstances, but Grohl had started to realize that he missed his bandmates. As can be seen by the lyrics, he had reached a point where he also started to appreciate them and subsequently, by being true to his heart, had experienced his own newfound appreciation for life and interpersonal relationships.

Grohl described the song as being about “hope and love and compassion”. And it was ‘times like those’, i.e. being away from his friends, that made him personally re-manifest those emotions to a higher degree.

In 2020, Kerrang ranked the top 20 all-time Foo Fighters songs and ranked Times Like These #12. This is their writeup:

Even if the jangly, mid-tempo, almost post-punk sound of the second single from One By One felt like a step down from the barn-burning high impact of All My Life (and the heaviness strewn throughout much of the rest of that LP), its message of keeping on keeping on even in the face of self-doubt and adversity remains one of the Foos’ most powerfully affirmative. ‘Do I stay or run away / And leave it all behind?’ Dave asks as the guitars cascade, intertwine and drift off with a sense of psychedelic possibility that’s matched by the kaleidoscopic music video. ‘It's times like these you learn to live again / It's times like these you give and give again / It's times like these you learn to love again.’ Quite.

In 2023, Consequence of Sound ranked what they characterized as all 156 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Times Like These #3. Here is their writeup:

Many folks dig on the acoustic version of “Times Like These.” Maybe it’s because the sonics more closely match Dave Grohl’s self-doubt at the time of writing One by One’s best song. But we’ll always go for the electric. It’s simply more uplifting, thanks in no small part to Grohl and Chris Shiflett’s dueling leads. Their guitar lines intertwine, then float away, as if the two musicians are having a conversation in the sky. Sure, the piano in the unplugged version is purdy, but when you’re feeling like **** — as the entire band was during the recording of One by One — what would you rather have? A ballad or an anthem?

I was thinking about this in the shower, and of the artists where I have a favorite song, very few of them have been revealed. Does this mean my favorites will take top four honors, or will they get shut out?

Modest Mouse - Yes (Float On)
The Kinks - No
Elliott Smith - No
Chicago - No
Ryan Adams - No
Stevie Wonder - No
Queen - Yes (Don't Stop Me Now)
Doves - No
Simon & Garfunkel - No
Elton John - No

Green DayMAC_32Minority
Love their BBC sessions, so I really wanted to showcase one from them. It took a couple listens, but the second time through the choice was obvious. The band slowed things down a notch on each of their tracks for these sessions, so my objective was to find the best example. The breakdown with the harmonica and horns (sorry, @krista4 ) is where this one separates itself from the rest of the sessions - just wish they'd have been able to wedge in the accordion in there somewhere too.

Maybe this has been discussed already but would be cool to have a list of artists covering other artists. Like a Foo Fighters cover of an AC/DC song or Frank Black covering The Kinks. I wonder how many actually exist?

As far as I know Big Thief has no official covers.

I was thinking about this in the shower, and of the artists where I have a favorite song, very few of them have been revealed. Does this mean my favorites will take top four honors, or will they get shut out?

Modest Mouse - Yes (Float On)
The Kinks - No
Elliott Smith - No
Chicago - No
Ryan Adams - No
Stevie Wonder - No
Queen - Yes (Don't Stop Me Now)
Doves - No
Simon & Garfunkel - No
Elton John - No
I'll predict a Kinks shut out. Of the 4 remaining, I doubt 3 of them would be at the top of many people's list. One of them remaining is pretty obvious, and certainly popular, but I suspect would not be at the top of your list as you don't strike me as the type with chalk at the top of the list.

Maybe this has been discussed already but would be cool to have a list of artists covering other artists. Like a Foo Fighters cover of an AC/DC song or Frank Black covering The Kinks. I wonder how many actually exist?

We did see a cover of the Kinks' All Day and All of The Night by The Stranglers at #29
The Kinks definitely performed some covers, but none that I am aware of for artists in our countdown.

The Foos have done a bunch of great covers but nobody here, other than a live "Tie Your Mother Down" with some other folks

I would have expected more of that, especially since we got one so early. ToD only have the one cover, unless there's something I've missed

Unfortunate that the Foo Fighters' best cover doesn't stream, but I won't go any further for the remote chance of spoiling

You'll get a fair dose of that from my next artist.

Genesis #5 - The Musical Box

Album - Nursery Cryme
Year - 1971

Stefan from SNL voice: “This Genesis song has it all: three different guys playing 12-string guitars, gentle Pete, an oboe, a girl who decapitates a guy with a croquet mallet, sorrowful Pete, literary references, new drummer Phil playing drums with said croquet mallets, angry Pete, decapitated guy coming back as a rapey ghost since he hasn’t gotten any for so long, Incel Pete, electric guitars, an organ, and something called Mister Bassman bass pedals.”

A bit raw at times, but this was an early look at how rich and complex these guys could be in an epic Prog way.

Number Nines. Eating celery and peanut butter, between cigarettes, and slamming through ADD style. Sorry to myself for the cigarettes, they come and they go, and sorry if I repeat any points or sentiments, I'm a little behind on the thread too

"Your Little Hoodrat Friend" -- and this was the first Hold Steady song I ever heard, struck me as Springsteen with .. well, different .. vocals at the time. Once I discovered more and got into them, and saw them live however many times, I love it.

"Come Dancing" - still fantastic fun.

Well what can you say about "Roxanne". Still reminds me a little bit of school because it had a lot of buzz* with the kids. As did "Roxanne, Roxanne" come to think of it but that's a whole different thing.
*No Sting pun intended

"Call On Me" one of those Chicago songs I know but never think about, great melody and percussion

"Who Will You Run To" -- I remember being at a church youth group retreat and some girl played this and said, now think of it as if it's your parents. That's all I've got. Rock solid tune though.

"My Love For You Is Real" -- new to me, very nice, good to hear some of this RA that I missed, as I felt he'd gone too country for my tastes

"All Too Well" 10 minute version, this is a lengthy Swiz but I hear what you kids love about her.

"Cattails" -- simple but not, quirky and beautiful, super evocative

"I Stay Away" -- one of a kind and just amazing, best on Jar

"Couldn't I Just Tell You" -- fun, rocking Rundgren is the best Rundgren

"Brain Stew" still slays, doesn't even need the "Jaded" chaser but that rules too

"Mohammed's Radio" -- love the story and the song

"New Frontier" -- I've heard this a few times before and it's great

"High And Dry" -- more Slade that's right up my big dumb alley

"Valerie Plame" -- clever and catchy

"Cold Shot" is just pure killer

"Anthem" - early, perfect Rush

"Too Long" -- I get it. It's a little too long. But good.

"I Want To Break Free" -- Takes me right back to .... Paul, Pat, Nuno and Gary: EXTREME!

"Start Choppin'" -- sounds like a hit to me

"El Mañana" -- it's La Mañana dude

"Zumbi" -- needs more cuica

"Mr. Blue Sky" -- I would have said this was my favorite ELO song going in, and it still may well be, but as I've probably already mentioned I have been pleasantly surprised by this list, all told

"Messages from nowhere" -- also have been impressed by this guy who I knew nothing by

"Hallelujah I Love Her So" -- too good for all this other slop!

"Uptight" -- out of sight. Pun possibly intended.

"Kathy's Song" -- nice one, Kathy

"Bankrupt On Selling" -- gentle, brooding Isaac is the best Isaac

The Foos have done a bunch of great covers but nobody here, other than a live "Tie Your Mother Down" with some other folks

I would have expected more of that, especially since we got one so early. ToD only have the one cover, unless there's something I've missed

Unfortunate that the Foo Fighters' best cover doesn't stream, but I won't go any further for the remote chance of spoiling
Agreed- that cover is an all timer

From simey:

#5 - Ray Charles - A Fool For You

Ray wrote this song and released it as a single in 1955, and it was put on his 1957 debut album. This is a soulful bluesy tune that has been covered by artists such as Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Van Morrison and Michael Jackson. It is one of my favorite slow burners by him, and I love his scream near the end.

I took Ryan Adams’ songs covering Taylor Swift and Bruce Springsteen- not sure if either of those artists will have the original listed in the Top 4 but it’s still possible.

"Your Little Hoodrat Friend" -- and this was the first Hold Steady song I ever heard, struck me as Springsteen with .. well, different .. vocals at the time. Once I discovered more and got into them, and saw them live however many times, I love it.

This one gets in the rotation of my "favourite Hold Steady song ever". It might be my first favourite of theirs. I suspect my current and most often favourite will not be covered here but stranger things have happened.

Tragically Hip #5 - Grace, Too

This, like most of my top 5 is one of those Hip songs that threads the needle of being objectively incredible and of my very favourites - elite by any measure.

Instantly recognizable from the first note (in Canada), they played this on SNL in 1995 (Dan Aykroyd is a huge fan and is also from Kingston, ON) in their attempt to break through in the USA but even though it's not too far off the grunge of the time, it's pretty damn weird.

Here's a live clip from Woodstock 99

Number Sevens

In order!

EVERY TRACK

Bypassed the eights for now because there are some here at #7 that I feel strongly about.

There is danger of Thumperism ahead but I will work on it.

"Hello It's Me", and here is the only Todd Rundgren song I really know, everything that's good about 70's soft rock.

"A Minha Menina", and here is the only Jorge Ben song I know at all, wonderful 60's psychedelia from a foreign land

"Broken Horses" -- excellent quiet-loud country rock here

"Invisible Sun" -- I'm not afraid to say this because I've been slurping them most of the time, but here is a Police song I don't get into so much.

"Missed the Boat" -- I wasn't familiar with this cut, but I'm pleased it's a straight up nice Isaac

"Supper's Ready" -- Gabriel's Genesis in peak form. Longest track in the whole countdown maybe?? I won't bother with a link but look it up live on Youtube if you have a lot of time to kill.

Skipping ahead, sorry Pete I love you buddy

"Tightrope" -- It's OK, medium blues, and then the guitar solos just crush.

"Grace Cathedral Hill" -- you think it might be twee, but the band kicks in and it's pretty awesome

"Life" -- not the harshest transition we've gone through here

"Days" -- ditto. I've felt a little self conscious about being sandwiched between these way less intense legends. Don't know this one but it's a keeper.

"Xanadu" -- I don't remember this from the movie

Posting 1-11 while this shakes itself out.

Dreaming of 4000

Today's is a deeper ELO cut from their third album, On the Third Day. Early ELO was embraced by many prog fans, because they were unique, and a little weird too. This is probably the "proggiest" song on my list. It's really not a top-5 ELO song to me, but I didn't do these in any order, so this is where it is.

Has Atlantic City made the Bruce list? Because there’s The Hold Steady cover of that.

Has Atlantic City made the Bruce list? Because there’s The Hold Steady cover of that.
Forgot about that one. And I don't think so? But I think that counts.

Number Sevens

In order!

EVERY TRACK part two

"Xanadu" -- Of course it's a great listen

"Vio Sflpdrkt Endlpflfff" -- Very nice, brief and breezy, I think the butt album might be their best

"Babylon Sisters" -- A Steely Dan hit that I know well. Pass. The. *******. Bong already

"Walking Contradiction" -- and now here is a fine cover of this track https://youtu.be/U-Cy_uRYbiQ
And another https://youtu.be/VGkri-2NRF4
This is NOT my favorite Green Day song but it's up there. I feel good about mine showing up.

"Mary" -- the break we needed. Sad and sweet.

"Contact" -- Love the drums, another evocative track, makes me want to blast off into space with Bezos and Shatner.

"Question..?" -- Sounds a little like if you asked A.I. to write a Taylor Swift song. Keep!

"Antonio Carlos Jobim" -- more lovable Elliott Smith, early electric style

"Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" because it feels like I've been sitting here doing this all afternoon.
Monster cut.

"Something Better Change" -- Great, straight-up piece from No More Heroes. Spoiler - nothing ever changes.

"Highway Patrolman" -- I wasn't expecting the Adams cover of Springsteen to pop right up here, but it's a cool surprise. I expect one more Adams cover.

"Do I Do" -- I don't think I know this one. Superb of course, all around.

The two AIC covers I know about from artists here are Heart's Barracuda (2007, so that's Gretchen Wilson on vocals) and an Elton John song I doubt is top 5 but hasn't been mentioned. So no accidental spoilering.

5 - Sigur Ros - Varúð (Caution) - Valtari - 2012

A lot of Sigur Ros songs follow a certain formula. Slow starting, then slowly introducing the bowed guitar and Jonsi's vocals. Then, the drums come in and it leads to an epic finale. Some say they overuse it, I can't get enough of it and this might be my favorite implementation of it (even though I have two more coming up that kind of follow a similar formula).

This song also has a certain atmosphere that I just love. The distorted piano opening, the choir, and Jonsi's panicked screams during the end sequence.

This is my only song from this album. Valtari was mostly an ambient sounding album which is not my favorite thing. This song really stands out to me almost like it doesn't belong on the album.

Number Sevens

In order!

EVERY TRACK part three

"In The Doghouse" -- Gotta love it, fun and more than just big and dumb

"Free" -- Now we're talking, this Phish is just incredible, my favorite of theirs and one of my favorite songs from that whole second half of the 90s musically messy era. A simply gorgeous tune.

"Nightrider" -- Very cool, moves along and builds nicely.

"Chip Away Boy" -- I liked how the ELO led into this piano, then it turned into a stomp.

"Rising Son" -- hell yeah, classic Clutch. Smooths and slams. Can't wait to see the rest of this list.

"Loaded" -- I've got a favorite on this album and I'm not sure we'll get it but this one rules even more than I remember.

"Don't Let Us Get Sick" -- Warren did so many songs like this in the few years before he got sick that it's a little weird.

"Got Me Wrong" -- Sap was such a cool thing to hear when I discovered it. Killer.

"'39" -- I wasn't expecting a Brian May number up here. Some googling shows it as a fan fave. Not really my style particularly but, respect.

"Jailbreak" -- fist pumper from the early days

"A Slight Discomfort" -- Nice listen, an interesting, mellow one from an up and down record. I can be sure my favorite from this album, which was really a B-side, will not be here, I think @scorchy thinks I'm weird for liking it.

"Badhead" -- Never heard it, sad and lovely. A good place for one last intermission, 12 here, 12 to go, starting with Ray.

OH's take on “We Gotta Get You a Woman” by Todd Rundgren

This song should be canceled...canceled into the sun. It’s so revolting. “Oh, you’re depressed. Let’s get you laid!” As someone who's suffered from major depression, I can tell you what I do not want is Todd, or anyone, saying let’s go get laid. You’re hanging out at your apartment, unable to get out of bed, and he says, "Let’s get dressed up, and go get you a hooker. We’ll go out on the town, and I’ll abandon you in a hotel room...with a hooker." Why not just kill me? Why not just let me die? Do you even like your friend? Do you care? Like, we’re all born into a world in which we’re doomed to die…here, have a hooker!

I don't know if the bongos were there the whole time, but I just noticed them at the end, and they really sealed the deal on this sh!t sundae. An indifferently played, appropriated instrument, you know [he starts drumming the table], “Hey, we gotta get you laid!” That song needed bongos like your depressed friend needed to get laid.

Now we’re going to learn that song was about John Lennon or something, and that’s why he went back to Yoko.

Last edited:
"Pais Tropical" by Jorge Ben Jor: Loved it. Liked the call-and-response, wish I knew what to respond when he called, but it turns out I don't speak Portuguese. The whole thing sounded so alive, joyful. I've liked a lot of tropicalia, but I haven't learned a lot about the genre. It seemed to dominate the international bins in record stores, but a lot of it seems to be music made for drug dealers in Miami. I loved how at the end of lines he would add more syllables and then the trumpet would mimic it with an arpeggiated run. It sounded like it could have been made in 1965 or last week, but if it were made last week, there would be a ****ty hip-hop break, or a dubstep skrillex breakdown added in there.

"The Joke" by Brandi Carlile: I love her voice. She's obviously a great singer. Structurally the song is good, but the people involved are afraid to let her voice do the heavy lifting. They're afraid of simplicity and so whenever she goes big, they bring all the music up with it, like the strings in a Steven Spielberg movie to hammer the point home. It's so corny and manipulative. There's a universe in which that song could be powerful, and I imagine the demo of it sounded great, but it was so overwrought in the studio that anything a dude like me would connect with has been sanded down or worn away. Compare it to this song by Nina Nastasia. Like the Brandi Carlile song, it's simultaneously small and quiet but grandiose. It has a mix of electric and acoustic. But everything sounds natural, and there's an immediacy to the recordings. When she goes big, her voice carries where it needs to carry, and the music doesn't compete with that. The whole thing creates a world that you can inhabit.

"Don't Stand So Close to Me" by The Police: There's a reason that Stewart Copeland is a drummer's drummer. He's so inventive. It's easy to make that syncopated reggae beat sound boring and bland, but you could just listen to the drum track unadorned and get about 90% of what's good about the song. I like the treacly guitars and the noisy synth wash and wish that part went forever. I just do not like the way Sting sings. That polished concrete voice...why sing? Why say stuff? It doesn't sound like a person. It's like someone asked AI to create what a Christ-like person would sing. I hate his whole shtick. And the lyrics to that song are so dumb. OK, there's a perv and there's this girl, and "don't stand so close to me." And if you didn't get the point, there's that line, "That book by Nabokov." They set up the whole line before it just so they could say Nabokov. In case you didn't get it. Instead of subtly evoking the creepiness of a sex predator, you just had to refer to it. That book by Nabokov. What, Pale Fire? No, cuz that's about poets.

Finishing up just in time, please please please keep em coming K&O!

Number Sevens in order, EVERY TRACK part four

"America the Beautiful" -- PLAY BALL!

"Caught By The River" -- still more excellent Doves.

"The Underdog" -- It was a long time coming but they finally made it onto the map. Sooooo good. I don't think we'll see my actual favorite from GA GA.. but who knows, stranger things have happened? Just a hair more likely than that THS one I mentioned.

"My Hero" -- I'm trying to remember who Dave Grohl dedicated this to when I saw them play that aforementioned show like 20 years ago. Maybe since his parents were there it was his dad, and that's it. My poor brain is getting a little fried perhaps. I do know the B-side was their best cover.

"Baby Driver" -- this is fun. I don't know it. Was it in the movie? I saw the movie. Had some decent music IIRC

"Something In The Night" -- the moaning is indeed a turnoff, and it indeed gets better.

"Invisible Sun" -- another surprise, a second Invisible Sun! I guess when they are invisible you don't know. Prodigy has been another one that gave me much more than I expected, and I dig most of what I've heard off of the fox album.

"Third Uncle" -- Think I already said it once today, ditto, very impressed with Bauhaus. This jams.

"Straight On" -- One of their best. Still takes me back to GTA, oops I just ran over Todd Rundgren's friend's hooker

"The Dark Canuck" -- Also very impressed, so much good stuff by these hosers. RIP Hip guy, we hardly knew ye

"So There I Was", minding my own business, and in walks Todd Rundgren, you'll never believe what he said to me

"Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" -- a long time plinko jukebox fave. All about bang for a buck. Remember Hemorrhage (In My Hands) by Fuel? That was pretty good too.

That's all folks, thanks for letting me take up all these bytes on a lazy Sunday

"Talking **** about a Pretty Sunset" by Modest Mouse: The band I was in played with them on this tour. It was the most people we'd ever played in front of. The youngest member of our band was 18 at the time, which was like the youngest member of their band, too. They were so young! This was their show closer. For a punk or indie rock show it felt like a very long song. The drummer and the bass player stayed with us, and the singer slept in the van outside. They were already way more popular than they knew what to do with, because they were children. At the time, they seemed cool and worldly to me, but I think they were at a loss. They didn't seem happy or having a blast. They seemed troubled. In other words, they didn't get high with us, which struck me as weird. I guess it fit since all their songs at the time were about being embarrassed. But I was struck by how amazing the drummer was. We mentioned it and got into a fight with our actual drummer. It was interesting how K records went from Beat Happening and artists that seemed child-like to recording actual babies like Modest Mouse and Built to Spill. Awesome show closer, great how they were OK being nervous and weird on stage, because that's who they were at the time. Being strange and twee wasn't an affectation.

"The Musical Box" by Genesis: [Saw band name and length of song and reached to fast forward. I reminded him of the two-minutes rule, and he said, "Can we come back to this one?"]

"Riviera Paradise" by Stevie Ray Vaughan: [Saw length of song. "Aw ****, can we go back to Genesis?"]

"Talking **** about a Pretty Sunset" by Modest Mouse: The band I was in played with them on this tour. It was the most people we'd ever played in front of. The youngest member of our band was 18 at the time, which was like the youngest member of their band, too. They were so young! This was their show closer. For a punk or indie rock show it felt like a very long song. The drummer and the bass player stayed with us, and the singer slept in the van outside. They were already way more popular than they knew what to do with, because they were children. At the time, they seemed cool and worldly to me, but I think they were at a loss. They didn't seem happy or having a blast. They seemed troubled. In other words, they didn't get high with us, which struck me as weird. I guess it fit since all their songs at the time were about being embarrassed. But I was struck by how amazing the drummer was. We mentioned it and got into a fight with our actual drummer. It was interesting how K records went from Beat Happening and artists that seemed child-like to recording actual babies like Modest Mouse and Built to Spill. Awesome show closer, great how they were OK being nervous and weird on stage, because that's who they were at the time. Being strange and twee wasn't an affectation.

"The Musical Box" by Genesis: [Saw band name and length of song and reached to fast forward. I reminded him of the two-minutes rule, and he said, "Can we come back to this one?"]

"Riviera Paradise" by Stevie Ray Vaughan: [Saw length of song. "Aw ****, can we go back to Genesis?]
:lmao:

The Kinks - No
My hopes are high.

Genesis #5 - The Musical Box

Album - Nursery Cryme
Year - 1971

Stefan from SNL voice: “This Genesis song has it all: three different guys playing 12-string guitars, gentle Pete, an oboe, a girl who decapitates a guy with a croquet mallet, sorrowful Pete, literary references, new drummer Phil playing drums with said croquet mallets, angry Pete, decapitated guy coming back as a rapey ghost since he hasn’t gotten any for so long, Incel Pete, electric guitars, an organ, and something called Mister Bassman bass pedals.”

A bit raw at times, but this was an early look at how rich and complex these guys could be in an epic Prog way.
I'm not a huge Genesis fan, but were I, this is easily my #1.

EDIT: except for the most iconic of Genesis songs.

Jeremiah Green was a great drummer. RIP.

Miss Misery- Elliott Smith
from The Good Will Hunting Soundtrack and later New Moon(Earlier Version)

The one that started it all for me ... as well as the other 4 GWH songs. Miss Misery is "the big one" and at the time this was the catalyst for the single biggest turning point of Elliott's career. The story goes that Gus Van Sant had heard Either/Or and started digging deeper into Elliott's catalog. Eventually, he put some songs into the film (Angeles, Between The Bars, No Name 3, etc) and asked Elliott if they could used them. Elliott agreed and the rest is history. The song Miss Misery was then nominated for an Academy Award for best original song... but lost out to Celine Dion and "My hearty will go on"

This song always reminds me of discovering him for the first time, just being completely blown away and hanging on every lyric and every chord change. I remember the white tux on the Oscars... such amazing imagery. I linked the performance below.

Miss Misery at the Oscars

I've heard it said by many of Elliott's friends and family that this song getting big the way it did was the single worst thing that could have happened to him. The mainstream exposure resulted in a change in trajectory that would have implications for the rest of Elliott's career.

Users who are viewing this thread