What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Missouri football player Michael Sam is gay (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain said:
It's a privilege to be able to play in the NFL.
That's old timey thinking right there. That's what somebody says when they don't want to think too hard about football in this country.

Stunned that Tim isn't leading this thread in posts already.
I'm challenging something MOP keeps arguing, but other than that I don't have too much to say about this subject other than I'm very happy about it- aren't you? If no, why not?
I'm not happy or unhappy about it. I find it strange that people are congratulating him. Just let the guy live his life and play football.

I give this guy credit ... From what I've read, most NFL teams knew he was gay since he was out in Mizzou. He came out, even before making a dime. Most I'm sure, think it is stupid and risky decision and as a result, a good chance he gave up on a good paycheck ... BUT, I completely understand why he did it. I personally, could not work for someone or in an environment in which I had to pretend to be something I am not. Or hide a lifestyle that is my way of life. It's not so much about the "gay movement" but it is about what's best for him. He obviously didn't cause a gay movement at Mizzou and he came out because it was best for him, and how he wanted to live his life as a college athlete not because he felt that he was making a statement.

I hope it works out for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
What round is likely to be drafted in? Seems like a good guy, need more of those in every workplace :shrug:
The draft pundits say 3rd is best case and more likely 4th or 5th. There is no doubt in my mind when he lasts until day three that ESPN quickly plays the card that it's because he is gay.

If he's drafted, makes the team, and plays for a year or two this whole uproar will be forgotten. He'll just be another football player going to work.

A year or two is a very short time.

It's about time an NFL'er came out. I would hope this isnt the case, but I can only see this hurting his draft stock, im sure teams will think this might cause a ruckus in the locker room with other players.

If his draft position falls substantially and he turns out to be a steal for the team who got him, 31 other teams are gonna look not only bigoted but really stupid. I'd like that.

Of his 11.5 sacks, nine came in three games against what one scout called "garbage competition" -- Vanderbilt, Arkansas State and Florida. "His numbers are inflated," a scout said. "You've got to see through that."

:hifive:

What round is likely to be drafted in? Seems like a good guy, need more of those in every workplace :shrug:
The draft pundits say 3rd is best case and more likely 4th or 5th. There is no doubt in my mind when he lasts until day three that ESPN quickly plays the card that it's because he is gay.
Let's say that his combine numbers are in line with those of a 3rd-5th round pick. If he doesn't get picked in those rounds would commentators be wrong for suggesting that he fell in the draft because he's gay?

If he's drafted, makes the team, and plays for a year or two this whole uproar will be forgotten. He'll just be another football player going to work.
It'll be shorter than that for the general media.He'll eventually fall into the anonymity of a 53-man roster and will be known for his play, primarily. People won't forget he's gay, but it won't be front and center. As for now, it should be seen as the big deal it is.

And eventually, more and more will be openly gay, it won't get reported, and the people who are "ZOMGGG!!! WHO CARES???? WHY IS HE SO SPECIAL?????? HE'S WAVING A GAY FLAG!@#$" will be happy.

Why is this funny? It's not an exact analogy, but it's not a terrible one either.
Rosa wasn't looking at being paid millions of dollars for keeping quiet and going about her job sitting in the back of the bus.

If we're comparing to Rosa Parks, Sam's "heroism" is a particularly luxurious brand of it.

timschochet said:
Gawain said:
timschochet said:
Ministry of Pain said:
timschochet said:
Ministry of Pain said:
dutch said:
There's backlash coming from posters in this thread and it is taking various forms and I think that's what we'll see from the population at large. Coming out as he did is going to prove a challenge to Mr. Sam, imo, and to think he'll get an across the board bump in polularity based on his sexuality doesn't square with the reaction so far.
I think in media that does not cover the NFL day to day he will. I can see the nightly smut shows on from 7-8PM parading him out there as a savior and then asking celebrities walking down the red carpet what they think of an NFL player coming out…and it just keep going from there.

Look what happened with Bullygate, that thing took on a life of its own. Gay Rights in the NFL? Rosie, Ellen, and otters will have a field day and they have legions upon legions of followers, many heterosexual and they will be out in full force. This guy is gonna get a lot of support IMO.
And well he should. This is one of the great things ever to happen to professional sports in my lifetime. How could anyone who is not a bigot fail to cheer for this guy?
:lol:

Tim just called everyone a bigot

:lmao:

I can't run with you dude, you take the cake :tebow:
Who is "everyone"?

As I wrote, I think most people will want this guy to succeed. If you don't, what possible reason could you have other than a dislike towards homosexuals?
I think when it's all said and done, on average only about 3% of all NFL fans will want to see this guy become a star.
I don't care about star. I certainly hope more than 3% will want to see him succeed. I may have a higher opinion of people than you do.
32/100 = about 3%

Why is this funny? It's not an exact analogy, but it's not a terrible one either.
Rosa wasn't looking at being paid millions of dollars for keeping quiet and going about her job sitting in the back of the bus.

If we're comparing to Rosa Parks, Sam's "heroism" is a particularly luxurious brand of it.
Yeah, and no matter how good or bad he is (or will be), I doubt he'll have to face what Robinson faced. In the stands, in the locker room, or in the street.

That being said, a big thumbs-up for not hiding the fact that he's gay.

Let's say that his combine numbers are in line with those of a 3rd-5th round pick. If he doesn't get picked in those rounds would commentators be wrong for suggesting that he fell in the draft because he's gay?
Every year there are players that go undrafted that the average fan doesn't understand because we aren't scouts and can't truly evaluate NFL talent. I have no idea how good of a prospect Sam is. I do know ESPN has no problem generating a BS story on day three of the draft just for the sake of having something to talk about though.

Rosa wasn't looking at being paid millions of dollars for keeping quiet and going about her job sitting in the back of the bus. If we're comparing to Rosa Parks, Sam's "heroism" is a particularly luxurious brand of it.
That's one reason why it's not the greatest of analogies. (There are others). But on the other hand, this guy is the first. And what he's doing IS heroic.

MOP, I'm still unable to find ANY record whatsoever of Rosie O Donnell's "hard line, bullhorn" stances from the early 90s. So far as I can tell, she was pretty much an apolitical celebrity until 1999, when she attacked gun owners after Columbine. Herr comments about gay rights didn't begin until she came out in 2003 in order to promote gay adoption rights, and she didn't become aggressive on the subject until 2005 when she joined The View and changed her public persona. Prior to that, she was known as the Queen of Nice.

So what the heck are you referring to?
Tim, you should know by now that he just makes stuff up. Normally he is not challenged on it because one can't prove or disprove the stories he tells about his personal life. However he made the mistake here of making an absurd claim about Rosie O'Donnell and the origin of the gay rights movement that anybody could disprove in less than a minute with a Google search.

When I first heard about this, CNN said he was a "top prospect". Then I read he was more like a 3-5 round pick before he came out. The cynic in me says he had nothing to lose by coming out since scouts seemed to be already aware he was gay, and now if he drops a couple of rounds or possibly out of the draft entirely he can sue the NFL for discrimination. Genius.

So I guess the whole Hollywood/Rosie thing in my head from the 6 point agenda in 1989(verifiable in print I might add) and the early 90s Hollywood/Rosie projecting that image out to everyone and then Rosie having to suck up to her audience which was not even a remote reflection of who she truly was when she started her talk show in 1996(also well documented), I guess all that was just some craziness from all the acid I must have been on, yeah that's it.

It must have been drugs, it's the only explanation I can think of.

timschochet said:
Ministry of Pain said:
dutch said:
There's backlash coming from posters in this thread and it is taking various forms and I think that's what we'll see from the population at large. Coming out as he did is going to prove a challenge to Mr. Sam, imo, and to think he'll get an across the board bump in polularity based on his sexuality doesn't square with the reaction so far.
I think in media that does not cover the NFL day to day he will. I can see the nightly smut shows on from 7-8PM parading him out there as a savior and then asking celebrities walking down the red carpet what they think of an NFL player coming out…and it just keep going from there. Look what happened with Bullygate, that thing took on a life of its own. Gay Rights in the NFL? Rosie, Ellen, and otters will have a field day and they have legions upon legions of followers, many heterosexual and they will be out in full force. This guy is gonna get a lot of support IMO.
And well he should. This is one of the great things ever to happen to professional sports in my lifetime. How could anyone who is not a bigot fail to cheer for this guy?
OMG. :lmao:

When I first heard about this, CNN said he was a "top prospect". Then I read he was more like a 3-5 round pick before he came out. The cynic in me says he had nothing to lose by coming out since scouts seemed to be already aware he was gay, and now if he drops a couple of rounds or possibly out of the draft entirely he can sue the NFL for discrimination. Genius.
That might make a tiny bit of sense if he were the 50th gay player to come out, or the 1,000th, etc. but he's the first EVER. He has changed the NFL permanently, already, and for the better.

There isn't going to be any suit. It will be very easy to point to the number of people that graded out as well as him and are sitting home. Dude was a mid-rounder on his best day. He was never a sure bet to be drafted to begin with.

So I guess the whole Hollywood/Rosie thing in my head from the 6 point agenda in 1989(verifiable in print I might add) and the early 90s Hollywood/Rosie projecting that image out to everyone and then Rosie having to suck up to her audience which was not even a remote reflection of who she truly was when she started her talk show in 1996(also well documented), I guess all that was just some craziness from all the acid I must have been on, yeah that's it.

It must have been drugs, it's the only explanation I can think of.
I guess so. Unless of course you can provide a link to this early 90s Rosie you speak of. I can't find one.

You call it "nothing to lose" but there's safety in being a mid-round pick. That's still a big investment for a team to make those guys get a long look and a real chance to contribute. You slip a little, and you still get drafted. Risking that is a lot to lose.

We're talking about a All-American DE here.

Now, I do think that, if it was likely to come out anyway, then this was also a good strategic move. Not that it won't hurt his draft stock, but if it was going to anyway, then it's a good strategic move to do it on his own terms.

It can be both brave and a strategic move. Either way, it doesn't matter. He's about to do something no other NFL player has done, and that's going to present some major challenges.

ETA: And saying he opens up the option to sue the NFL is silly for a number of reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:
Ministry of Pain said:
dutch said:
I think in media that does not cover the NFL day to day he will. I can see the nightly smut shows on from 7-8PM parading him out there as a savior and then asking celebrities walking down the red carpet what they think of an NFL player coming outand it just keep going from there. Look what happened with Bullygate, that thing took on a life of its own. Gay Rights in the NFL? Rosie, Ellen, and otters will have a field day and they have legions upon legions of followers, many heterosexual and they will be out in full force. This guy is gonna get a lot of support IMO.
So you're not rooting for him? Why not?

timschochet said:
Ministry of Pain said:
dutch said:
I think in media that does not cover the NFL day to day he will. I can see the nightly smut shows on from 7-8PM parading him out there as a savior and then asking celebrities walking down the red carpet what they think of an NFL player coming out…and it just keep going from there. Look what happened with Bullygate, that thing took on a life of its own. Gay Rights in the NFL? Rosie, Ellen, and otters will have a field day and they have legions upon legions of followers, many heterosexual and they will be out in full force. This guy is gonna get a lot of support IMO.
:goodposting:

I wonder how many players in the past have had their draft stock slip for being found out to be gay.

Once these teams start vetting their prospects and digging into their backgrounds I would think they have discovered gay athletes already.

This might explain Aaron Rodgers dropping??

:stirspot:

It's hard for me to believe that a major conference DPOY won't get a shot somewhere in the NFL, whether it's in the draft or as an undrafted free agent.

But while it may be true that professional football players are a fairly unique work force in terms of testosterone required ( :rolleyes: ), it also doesn't mean that the league is exempt from the rules governing workplaces in this country. No other industry could get away with claiming some sort of special exemption if Michael Sam is subject to boorish behavior from his co-workers and the NFL players and coaches aren't going to get away with it either. Time for the handful of neanderthals left in the league to get with the 21st century.

timschochet said:
Ministry of Pain said:
dutch said:
I think in media that does not cover the NFL day to day he will. I can see the nightly smut shows on from 7-8PM parading him out there as a savior and then asking celebrities walking down the red carpet what they think of an NFL player coming outand it just keep going from there. Look what happened with Bullygate, that thing took on a life of its own. Gay Rights in the NFL? Rosie, Ellen, and otters will have a field day and they have legions upon legions of followers, many heterosexual and they will be out in full force. This guy is gonna get a lot of support IMO.
I couldn't care less about the guy. He was insignificant to me yesterday, he's insignificant today. One thing will make me care about him, if the Bears draft him.

The dudes a football player....why in the hell would anyone care who he's sexually attracted to?

That might make a tiny bit of sense if he were the 50th gay player to come out, or the 1,000th, etc. but he's the first EVER. He has changed the NFL permanently, already, and for the better.
Captain Hyperbole, he has changed NOTHING until he either does or does not get drafted - and if he DOES get drafted he has laid no future path unitl he succeeds. If Jackie Robinson had broken the color barrier and sucked it would have been the responsibility of someone else to prove that African Americans belong in the MLB. Fortunately he not only broke the color bariier but also had the talent to blaze the trail. Hopefully Michael Sam does the same with regards to sexual orientation - but first he has to get drafted, then he has to prove his skills - then we can look back and applaud him for his pioneering effort.

timschochet said:
Ministry of Pain said:
dutch said:
I couldn't care less about the guy. He was insignificant to me yesterday, he's insignificant today. One thing will make me care about him, if the Bears draft him.

The dudes a football player....why in the hell would anyone care who he's sexually attracted to?
Other bears?

Just curious (sorry if already discussed), but if he ends up being "Mr. Irrelevant" or just another 7th round pick - would he have any legal recourse for discrimination?

I can understand someone who is not a bigot being opposed to gay marriage. Even though I disagree, I give most people the benefit of the doubt on that one- there ARE other reasons to be against gay marriage other than a dislike of homosexuals, and I have argued that point many times in this forum.

But this is a different matter. If you are against Michael Sam because he came out, if you don't want him to succeed, then I can only conclude you are bigoted against gay people. What other reason could there possibly be? Now I'm sure that many, like Rambling Wreck, will simply claim indifference. I have trouble believing that anyone who cares enough to read this discussion is truly indifferent, but I'll grant its a possible reaction. Not probable though. I would guess that at least some of those who claim indifference are attempting to hide their true reaction. Indifference is, of course, the ultimate goal for those of us who would like to see gays achieve equality in this country. But not indifference over the first guy ever to come out who is about to play in the NFL. That would be absurd.

Not sure how much this thread as affected MOP's draft stock, but I think it's gone down a little.

As for Michael Sam, good for him - he's already played a season openly gay to his teammates - it seems like it didn't have a negative impact unless I guess you want to blame Mizzou's 1 loss on him. As impressive as it is that his teammates there accepted him it's equally impressive that they kept it in the locker room and were inclined to let Sam tell his story at a time of his choosing.

Btw, Sam announced this to keep ahead of a media outlet that was going to run with the story anyway - so there's nothing to his timing in a "look at me" or "bleep you Putin" sense. I honestly wonder if rumors/whispers of him being closeted would have had a more negative impact than being forthright about it.

Draft-wise it wouldn't surprise me if there aren't a couple/few teams that take him off their draft board - though they certainly wouldn't admit as much (I guess when Jerry Jones inevitable is shown standing in front of his own team's draft board yet again that will be some indication). But as a NY sports radio guy pointed out this morning you have to take the "anonymous scout" stuff with a grain of salt - a team that wants to get him in a later round could totally leak that he's "undraftable" in an effort to drive down his price. Happens all the time. And heck you've had guys knock Dalton's stock b/c he's a ginger.

That said, will there be enough teams that take him off their board/drop him to seriously impact his draft stock - I doubt that. If a handful of teams have him graded in say round 4, one of them will take him around then. I think the combines will have a big impact as they do on many players - both in terms of his physical performance and his interviews. That he's willing to take the issue head-on will be seen as a positive to many I would bet - how he handles himself in the coming weeks will probably build on that. I think that will be the biggest determinant of his draft-stock to be honest.

I do think one thing is a little off base with the whole "what round will he be drafted question" - I think a better question will be where he'll be drafted relative to other DE/OLB prospects. If he's supposed to be the 10th DE/OLB or whatever off the board is that where he lands? Look at how late RBs fell last year or look at other years where there was a run at the top at QB. Totally possible that he "falls" to round 5 but is drafted right where you'd expect him to be relative to the other guys at his position.

Anyway good on the kid for choosing to live his truth.

-QG

I can understand someone who is not a bigot being opposed to gay marriage. Even though I disagree, I give most people the benefit of the doubt on that one- there ARE other reasons to be against gay marriage other than a dislike of homosexuals, and I have argued that point many times in this forum.

But this is a different matter. If you are against Michael Sam because he came out, if you don't want him to succeed, then I can only conclude you are bigoted against gay people. What other reason could there possibly be? Now I'm sure that many, like Rambling Wreck, will simply claim indifference. I have trouble believing that anyone who cares enough to read this discussion is truly indifferent, but I'll grant its a possible reaction. Not probable though. I would guess that at least some of those who claim indifference are attempting to hide their true reaction. Indifference is, of course, the ultimate goal for those of us who would like to see gays achieve equality in this country. But not indifference over the first guy ever to come out who is about to play in the NFL. That would be absurd.
I would welcome Michael Sam on the Miami Dolphins if they draft him and would show support at the stadium…as long as people don't make fun of me and try to rip my pink colored #52 Miami jersey off.

All kidding aside though I would have no issue with him being drafted by the Phins. I would however expect major fallout and a lot of fans vocally denouncing the team and giving up their season tickets because that's gonna happen in every city minus a handful at most.

He can't sue anyone. But if he's truly a 3-5 round prospect and then doesn't get drafted it'll be a huge black mark on the league.

I give this guy credit ... From what I've read, most NFL teams knew he was gay since he was out in Mizzou. He came out, even before making a dime. Most I'm sure, think it is stupid and risky decision and as a result, a good chance he gave up on a good paycheck ....
If this is true that most teams knew he was gay then I give Sam & his agent a lot of credit. Shrewd move . Get the :moneybag: for being the 1st player openly gay & protect his draft status.Its sad that in 2014 we still need labels

I hope he falls flat on his face, simply because you care so much. I know it would bother you to no end if he doesn't succeed. You'd post about bigotry all day long if he isn't drafted, and that would make me chuckle. So, that makes me a bigot?

Users who are viewing this thread