What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB Playoffs - The FFA edition (1 Viewer)

With all the shenanigans we've seen the last couple years, do you really think every team will match the visiting bullpen mounds with the one on the field?  
close enough.  When you are talking about the pristine condition of the mounds and the number of games these guys play it really isn't that big of deal. 

Now playing on some of these youth fields with portable mounds of different sizes and step locations you have a more compelling argument.  

The game always started when the two minutes was up.  The timer was not merely a guideline.
The couple of games I was at it went over the two minutes quite often.  Maybe it depends if it was a nationally televised game or local broadcast?  

I'm not sure how we didn't win more WS during the Glavine, Maddux, Smotlz, Avery years.  Seemed to always run into a hot team like the Twins, Yanks, or Blue Jays.

As a fan of the Braves first and the Nats second, it's interesting how they had the same record at the trade deadline.  One team went for it and brought home a championship.  They other sold out.  Sad for DC that the Lerners won't pay to keep top notch players.

I feel like I’m still waiting for the Braves somehow to not be crowned the champions. Like the other shoe is still going to fall somehow.

They were talking on local radio about when you final felt like they had it.  I'm not sure I felt genuinely comfortable until after the first out in the 9th.  I swear until Freddie's HR to put them up 7-0 all I could think about was me telling my wife at 28-3 that the SB wasn't over.  As someone described it on the radio, it was like having PTSD.

Question for you - what was more impressive to you - Glavine in '95 or Fried last night?  I'd say Glavine's performance was definitely better due to pitching 2 more innings and that Indians lineup being pretty damn stout like the Astros but what Fried did last night was unreal.  Dude was dealing and was in a zone - I've never seen someone step up so big in a huge situation and show so much more confidence than what you usually see.  He was trying to throw each pitch in like 5-6 seconds.  Astros batters started stepping out just to try and slow him down and get him out of rhythm.  Reminded me of Maddux in his hey day - and I'll be honest, I knew Max was one of the best pitchers over the 2nd half of the season but I never expected that from him last night - I think he could have 9 if Snit wanted to take that gamble.

They were talking on local radio about when you final felt like they had it.  I'm not sure I felt genuinely comfortable until after the first out in the 9th.  I swear until Freddie's HR to put them up 7-0 all I could think about was me telling my wife at 28-3 that the SB wasn't over.  As someone described it on the radio, it was like having PTSD.

Question for you - what was more impressive to you - Glavine in '95 or Fried last night?  I'd say Glavine's performance was definitely better due to pitching 2 more innings and that Indians lineup being pretty damn stout like the Astros but what Fried did last night was unreal.  Dude was dealing and was in a zone - I've never seen someone step up so big in a huge situation and show so much more confidence than what you usually see.  He was trying to throw each pitch in like 5-6 seconds.  Astros batters started stepping out just to try and slow him down and get him out of rhythm.  Reminded me of Maddux in his hey day - and I'll be honest, I knew Max was one of the best pitchers over the 2nd half of the season but I never expected that from him last night - I think he could have 9 if Snit wanted to take that gamble.
After Fried got stepped on at first his whole demeanor seemed to change.   He was lights out after that, but Glavine's 1 hit through 8 was more impressive.  Just a little, though.

After Fried got stepped on at first his whole demeanor seemed to change.   He was lights out after that, but Glavine's 1 hit through 8 was more impressive.  Just a little, though.

After the infield single and then that play I texted my buddy "God hates Atlanta" - I thought for sure he was injured and may need to come out like Morton.  But like you said, it seemed to flip a switch and he turned in to Sandy Koufax for 6 innings.

Congrats GB!

Congrats to the Braves.  Hell of a finish to the season.

To add more pain to the end of the season for us Giants fans, I just heard Buster Posey is retiring.  My son might be on suicide watch.

To add more pain to the end of the season for us Giants fans, I just heard Buster Posey is retiring.  My son might be on suicide watch.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.  That holds true for the 109 wins this year and Buster's retirement. 

I'm glad he's able to walk away on his own terms after a great season and not because of his hip flaring up or one too many foul balls off his mask. 

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.  That holds true for the 109 wins this year and Buster's retirement. 

I'm glad he's able to walk away on his own terms after a great season and not because of his hip flaring up or one too many foul balls off his mask. 
You're right.  I'm happy for him.  Great career, and a great guy.  With 3 WS rings and the best regular season in franchise history under his belt there wasn't much left for him to accomplish.  He's probably making the correct decision with regards to his future health.  

A local fundraiser reached out to our little league and invited some of the kids out to shuttle baseballs to a bunch of players for autographs that were then going to be sold.  The kids weren't supposed to get any autographs out of it, but when my son had some balls he was waiting to bring to Bruce Bochy, Posey saw my son was wearing his jersey and motioned for him to come over.  He ended up effectively cutting in front of the line of paying customers and Posey not only signed the back of his jersey, but spent the extra 60 seconds talking baseball with him.  A day my son will never forget.

I feel like I’m still waiting for the Braves somehow to not be crowned the champions. Like the other shoe is still going to fall somehow.
I remember when the Royals won it in 2015 I just couldn’t stop smiling. For weeks.

Hell, I’m smiling now just typing this thinking about those moments during their run in 2014 and 2015. 

It’s special, man. You’ll never forget it and nobody can take it away from you. Forever.

You guys are champs! 

ChiefD said:
I remember when the Royals won it in 2015 I just couldn’t stop smiling. For weeks.

Hell, I’m smiling now just typing this thinking about those moments during their run in 2014 and 2015. 

It’s special, man. You’ll never forget it and nobody can take it away from you. Forever.

You guys are champs! 
That's 2017 for me.  

AAABatteries said:

I know the Astros are a pretty good team and have been so clutch, but those mid-90s Cleveland teams were dynamite offensively. I mean, that team had Lofton, Thome, Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez all in their prime. Toss in veterans Tony Peña, Paul Sorrento, Eddie Murray, Sandy Alomar and David Winfield. I mean, wow.

In going back and looking at that 1995 Series on Wikipedia, there is a blurb that seems almost impossible to believe. It says that that last person to hit home runs in back to back World Series game before d’Arnaud did it in Games 2 and 4 this year, was Ryan Klesko in 1995 (who actually did it in back-to-back-to back games). If that’s true, what’s crazier is that Freeman then did it as well in games 5 and 6 this year. Which would mean that the only 3 guys to do it over the last 26 years were all Braves and there was a 26 year gap between the first and second time and just a few days between second and third.

In going back and looking at that 1995 Series on Wikipedia, there is a blurb that seems almost impossible to believe. It says that that last person to hit home runs in back to back World Series game before d’Arnaud did it in Games 2 and 4 this year, was Ryan Klesko in 1995 (who actually did it in back-to-back-to back games). If that’s true, what’s crazier is that Freeman then did it as well in games 5 and 6 this year. Which would mean that the only 3 guys to do it over the last 26 years were all Braves and there was a 26 year gap between the first and second time and just a few days between second and third.

That's not true. George Springer homered in four consecutive games in the 2019 series.  Barry Bonds hit HRs in three games of the 2002 WS.

ETA:  in before the cheater jokes

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to back games?

Brunell4MVP said:
I'm not sure how we didn't win more WS during the Glavine, Maddux, Smotlz, Avery years.  Seemed to always run into a hot team like the Twins, Yanks, or Blue Jays.

As a fan of the Braves first and the Nats second, it's interesting how they had the same record at the trade deadline.  One team went for it and brought home a championship.  They other sold out.  Sad for DC that the Lerners won't pay to keep top notch players.
Where do you see this?

According to this article, Braves were 54-54 at deadline and Nats were 49-59.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31959004/mlb-power-rankings-week-17-where-all-30-teams-stand-trade-deadline

I know the Astros are a pretty good team and have been so clutch, but those mid-90s Cleveland teams were dynamite offensively. I mean, that team had Lofton, Thome, Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez all in their prime. Toss in veterans Tony Peña, Paul Sorrento, Eddie Murray, Sandy Alomar and David Winfield. I mean, wow.
the other big thing about those cleveland teams is that they were not proven cheaters take that to the bank brohans

That's not true. George Springer homered in four consecutive games in the 2019 series.  Barry Bonds hit HRs in three games of the 2002 WS.

ETA:  in before the cheater jokes
my god i hate how cheaters have ruined the game of baseball take that to the bank brohans 

Hot Stove is on high broil in advance of the impending Dec. 1 lockout.

Buxton re-signs with Twins, Kluber to TB, Semien and Kole Kalhoun to TEX the most-recent ones today.

Seeing that Max is higher than a couple teams' total payroll reminds me they need some sort of payroll floor. 

Maybe a sliding scale.... 

$40MM Hard floor
Sub .500 for 2 of the last 5 years? $60MM Floor 
Sub .500 for 4 of the last 5 years? $80MM Floor 
Sub .500 for 8 of the last 10 years? Franchise forced to market. 

I have zero problem with what the Mets and Rangers are doing. Would much rather have the players getting a bigger slice of the pie.

But they really need to push for a salary cap floor so the tight-wad owners can't do what they're doing.

Clearly the new collective bargaining agreement will be done soon.

The owners aren’t spending this kind of money if they are intending on putting the screws to the players.

Seeing that Max is higher than a couple teams' total payroll reminds me they need some sort of payroll floor. 

Maybe a sliding scale.... 

$40MM Hard floor
Sub .500 for 2 of the last 5 years? $60MM Floor 
Sub .500 for 4 of the last 5 years? $80MM Floor 
Sub .500 for 8 of the last 10 years? Franchise forced to market. 

BeTheMatch said:
I have zero problem with what the Mets and Rangers are doing. Would much rather have the players getting a bigger slice of the pie.

But they really need to push for a salary cap floor so the tight-wad owners can't do what they're doing.

In related news, the Reds signed a backup catcher!

Tigers getting Javier Biaz for 6 years $140 million is pretty good value compared to the SS contracts signed so far. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see the Rays lock Wander up long-term. 
Kinda surprised at the value there... would have expected him to get more.

That said, he's still young.... he'll still have time to get a true ridiculous-level deal after this one. 

Users who are viewing this thread