What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My first commercially available beer to be released May 5 (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
So long time FBGs will remember that I have been home brewing for many years. About 6 years ago I took it to the next level and invested maybe $15k in equipment and I now do 1/2 barrel batches and have 9 beers on tap at my house. The name of my fictional brewery is Thursday Night Aleworks because that's my weekly drinking nigt with my buddies.

Back in February I was offered a chance to do a collaboration beer with Penn Brewery, Pittsburgh's oldest craft beer brewery. So after much deliberation on what to brew I decided on my Mexican cake stout which I called "el chapo". It is an imperial stout (9.0%) with cocoa nibs, vanilla, cinnamon, agave nectar and habanero peppers. It has been renamed "chico de Mayo" in honor of my daughter's chihuahua that doesn't like people and features his face on the can. It will be made available on draft at main location in Pittsburgh and at the Pittsburgh airport.

It was a small batch for Penn (only 3 barrels) so very limited number of cans are available but I am pretty excited about it. Here is a link to the event on their website: https://www.pennbrew.com/events

If you happen to be in Pittsburgh or airport on the 5th or during the month of May, give it a try and let me know what you think!

Very cool! If I happen to be in the Pittsburgh area on May 8th would there be any way to track down a sample?

That's awesome.
Wish you coulda worked bacon into it somehow, but still all sorts of awesome.

So long time FBGs will remember that I have been home brewing for many years. About 6 years ago I took it to the next level and invested maybe $15k in equipment and I now do 1/2 barrel batches and have 9 beers on tap at my house. The name of my fictional brewery is Thursday Night Aleworks because that's my weekly drinking nigt with my buddies.

Back in February I was offered a chance to do a collaboration beer with Penn Brewery, Pittsburgh's oldest craft beer brewery. So after much deliberation on what to brew I decided on my Mexican cake stout which I called "el chapo". It is an imperial stout (9.0%) with cocoa nibs, vanilla, cinnamon, agave nectar and habanero peppers. It has been renamed "chico de Mayo" in honor of my daughter's chihuahua that doesn't like people and features his face on the can. It will be made available on draft at main location in Pittsburgh and at the Pittsburgh airport.

It was a small batch for Penn (only 3 barrels) so very limited number of cans are available but I am pretty excited about it. Here is a link to the event on their website: https://www.pennbrew.com/events

If you happen to be in Pittsburgh or airport on the 5th or during the month of May, give it a try and let me know what you think!

Congratulations!! This beer is right up my alley. Any way I can buy some cans?

Or I can send my dad for me. Who now makes Pittsburgh beer runs on my behalf — grabbed me Aslin’s Barrel releases (amazing) and the Nancy B’s Choc Chip cookie stout (not great) recently. How the tables have turned! 😂

Very cool! If I happen to be in the Pittsburgh area on May 8th would there be any way to track down a sample?
It will be on tap at the brewery on May 5 and at the airport location, but I am not sure when. Cans will only be available at the brewery

Or I can send my dad for me. Who now makes Pittsburgh beer runs on my behalf — grabbed me Aslin’s Barrel releases (amazing) and the Nancy B’s Choc Chip cookie stout (not great) recently. How the tables have turned! 😂

If you Dad can make it to the brewery on May 5 he should be able to get some cans. If they sell out before he gets there he can ask for Mike from Thursday Night Aleworks and I should be able to get him at least a couple.

It has been renamed "chico de Mayo" in honor of my daughter's chihuahua that doesn't like people and features his face on the can.

This is 👩‍🍳🤌💋

Like, it wouldn't even matter if this stuff was the dreck of all drecks. I'd buy it just for the name. Need to get a real graphic designer on the artwork for that can though. :shades:

Congrats on it. Freaking Penn Brewery....takes me back.

If you Dad can make it to the brewery on May 5 he should be able to get some cans. If they sell out before he gets there he can ask for Mike from Thursday Night Aleworks and I should be able to get him at least a couple.

Ha. Will do. He will talk your ear off about beer though. He fancies himself a Belgian Beer connoisseur.

Ha. Will do. He will talk your ear off about beer though. He fancies himself a Belgian Beer connoisseur.

Bernardus....🤤

Damn, just flew out of Pittsburgh early this month. Would have been nice to give this one a try.

I LOVE stout beer.
Back in the mid 80s I helped a buddy brew a batch that won a gold ribbon in the Colorado State fair. He was thinking about becoming a master brewer but couldn't afford the cost of going through the course.
We wound up exploding about four or five carboys as we had no clue what we were doing.
I take zero credit for his achievement but it's fun to have helped.
Overall winner that year was a newer brewery from back East called Sam Adams.
One of my favorite stouts is Mackeson and it runs at 4.9%.
Your stout is at 9%?
That's pretty strong.
Second worst beer I ever had was one when I was in high school. A Canadian beer called Northern that was 10%.
Worst beer I ever had was over 23% but I can't recall the name. It had the highest content for a beer back in the 80s when I tried it. I remember drinking it out of a shot glass and was told it was terrible. It was, lol.

Just found this thread. Very cool, congrats!

I don't generally drink stout but would buy a 4/6 pack if I could.

Congrats @Godsbrother Any chance this takes off or is your creation just a drop in the world of craft beers?
It may become a seasonal at Penn but I am also talking to another area brewery about a collaboration with them.

As for myself starting a commercial brewery: I plan on retiring next year so it may be a possibility or I just may continue working with local breweries.

Congrats @Godsbrother Any chance this takes off or is your creation just a drop in the world of craft beers?
It may become a seasonal at Penn but I am also talking to another area brewery about a collaboration with them.

As for myself starting a commercial brewery: I plan on retiring next year so it may be a possibility or I just may continue working with local breweries.
Well, count me in as a loyal customer.

Mrs APK loves a good stout, and we’re rolling through Pittsburgh next month. How good are the odds of picking up a couple for her to try?

It was a small batch for Penn (only 3 barrels) so very limited number of cans are available but I am pretty excited about it. Here is a link to the event on their website:
Eolo Speed Test è uno strumento utilizzato per misurare la velocità dell'Internet Service Provider italiano chiamato Eolo Applicazione web. È considerata la migliore opzione per testare la velocità della tua connessione Internet Eolo.
I've been home brewing for years and recently had the opportunity to collaborate with Penn Brewery on a beer called "el chapo," a Mexican cake stout. It's an imperial stout with cocoa nibs, vanilla, cinnamon, agave nectar, and habanero peppers. Renamed "chico de Mayo," it features my daughter's chihuahua on the can. The beer will be available on draft at Penn Brewery's main location in Pittsburgh and at the Pittsburgh airport. It's a limited batch,

What a coincidence.

Mrs APK loves a good stout, and we’re rolling through Pittsburgh next month. How good are the odds of picking up a couple for her to try?
I am really not sure but I can find out.

I am really not sure but I can find out.
Don’t do anything special for us — if and when you brew more broadly, Mrs APK will likely be a champion for your stout!!!

I LOVE stout beer.
Back in the mid 80s I helped a buddy brew a batch that won a gold ribbon in the Colorado State fair. He was thinking about becoming a master brewer but couldn't afford the cost of going through the course.
We wound up exploding about four or five carboys as we had no clue what we were doing.
I take zero credit for his achievement but it's fun to have helped.
Overall winner that year was a newer brewery from back East called Sam Adams.
One of my favorite stouts is Mackeson and it runs at 4.9%.
Your stout is at 9%?
That's pretty strong.
Second worst beer I ever had was one when I was in high school. A Canadian beer called Northern that was 10%.
Worst beer I ever had was over 23% but I can't recall the name. It had the highest content for a beer back in the 80s when I tried it. I remember drinking it out of a shot glass and was told it was terrible. It was, lol.
9% is nothing these days. Many stouts drink link wine now, often barrel aged.

It was a small batch for Penn (only 3 barrels) so very limited number of cans are available but I am pretty excited about it. Here is a link to the event on their website:
Eolo Speed Test è uno strumento utilizzato per misurare la velocità dell'Internet Service Provider italiano chiamato Eolo Applicazione web. È considerata la migliore opzione per testare la velocità della tua connessione Internet Eolo.
I've been home brewing for years and recently had the opportunity to collaborate with Penn Brewery on a beer called "el chapo," a Mexican cake stout. It's an imperial stout with cocoa nibs, vanilla, cinnamon, agave nectar, and habanero peppers. Renamed "chico de Mayo," it features my daughter's chihuahua on the can. The beer will be available on draft at Penn Brewery's main location in Pittsburgh and at the Pittsburgh airport. It's a limited batch,
huh?

huh?
I'm convinced that's a bot.

Users who are viewing this thread