What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Top 3 rated rookie qb, rb and wr for dynasty (1 Viewer)

Blackjacks

Footballguy
This is not for redraft, it is 100% for dynasty purposes.

Some of these players might take a few years to blossom but talent eventually shows.

qb-

1) Matt Barkley- Extremely accurate and smart qb who got put in a great situation with a great offensive minded coach.

It might take him a year to get on the field but this was Chip Kelly's only hand picked draft pick in this last years draft. Once Barkley takes over the reins I think he will be a very accurate and reliable starter for 10 years in the NFL and they have the weapons for him to put up very nice #'s

2) EJ Manuel- Will start during the first year and be a very good fantasy football qb due to his ability to rush and pass. The talent is getting better around him as well (Spiller, Stevie Johnson, Woods etc). I would feel safe in saying he will be a top 15 qb year in and year out starting 2014 and for the foreseeable future. (A lesser talented Cam Newton)

3) Tyler Wilson- This time next year Tyler Wilson will be the starting qb for the Raiders due to Matt Flynn being a less than good NFL qb. The weapons aren't great in Oakland but the new regime is trying to turn things around. I believe they will have a top 5 pick in the draft next year and will be targeting a premier WR. Wilson is a natural leader with all the physical tools (-speed) and a huge arm, that you need in a franchise QB. While no one will mistake him for Andrew Luck he will be the guy in Oakland.

rb-

1) Michael Christine- The best combination of speed and power in the draft IMO. As of now he will play behind Lynch but Lynch is a knucklehead and will screw up again eventually. Put this guy behind that line with his talent and we are talking top 5 potential. When I watch him run he just has it..........Perfect size, attitude and catches pretty good also. He might take 2-3 years but he is well worth the price you have to pay as long as you are committed to him for the long haul. Sitting behind Lynch might actually be a good thing for him so he can get totally healthy.

2) Marcus Lattimore- Again, gonna take a bit for him to get on the field but a perfect landing spot for Lattimore. He goes to a very good team with a veteran RB who has 1-2 years left of high production before he needs to be a full go. Lattimore by far would be the first pick in all dynasty rookie draft had he not had the injury he had. It will probably not allow him to get on the field at all this year but I think he will slowly start to take over Gore's gig next year. Lattimore is a smart rb with great size and above avg speed when healthy. Again, a perfect team for him to go to and sit to get healthy. Be prepared to have to spend a top 10 pick (in rookie drafts) to get him and hold him for the future.

3) Le'Veon Bell- This is a guy who should be productive from day 1. He has no competition (IMO) and will get a lot of carries and td attempts. He is an above avg receiver and a perfect fit for a good Steeler offense with a young and talented oline. 6-1 230 lbs and runs a 4.52 40 yard dash.........Sounds like he was made to wear the Gold and Black. The only bad thing about Bell is the early pick you will have to spend on him.

wr-

1) Robert Woods- This guy is the most polished product coming out of college into the NFL this year and will start day 1. He will have the advantage to grow with Manuel and build a good rapport with him. Woods got overshadowed at USC last year by Lee but was a projected first round draft pick heading into the year. You should be able to get Woods in the teens in your rookie draft and he will start paying dividends day 1. You are looking at a guy here that will have a long consistent career.

Don't mess out on him

2) Marcus Wheaton- The Steelers have a good history of drafting wr's and I think they hit a home run again. Wheaton should be getting a lot of work this year as maybe the #3 wr and might earn the #2 by the end of the year but eventually he will be the replacement for Mike Wallace. Todd Haley like to pass downfield and Wheaton is that threat. I love this kid, give him a 1-2 years and he will be a top 15 wr.

3) Keenan Allen- Phillip Rivers is missing that tall gifted wr since Vjax left (and held out), enter Allen. Allen had probably the worst started qb in college football throwing to him last year and still was able to put up descent #'s. Gates is older, Floyd is a waste and while I like Brown, he might now be the big time wr they need (good compliment though). SD has a new regime coming to town and I think Allen starts day 1 (Cause I have no confidence in Denario Alexander staying healthy. I think you can get Allen late 2nd round in most rookie redrafts and he think he offers huge value at that point. I still think Rivers is a good qb. he just needs better coaching, better blocking and better talent at the wr position. 1 thing Rivers has shown is he can make players very relevant if he trust them.

Let me know what you think. I know these guys are on most radars but I think more of them than most I think

Are you saying you like these as your top 3 at each position or your top 3 values for their ADP?

I'm fairly certain you wouldn't draft Robert Woods over Tavon Austin, Cordarelle Patterson, or DeAndre Hopkins.

Are you saying you like these as your top 3 at each position or your top 3 values for their ADP?

I'm fairly certain you wouldn't draft Robert Woods over Tavon Austin, Cordarelle Patterson, or DeAndre Hopkins.
I am absolutely saying that. I am a Rams fan and I like Austin but I definitely think Woods is a more polished NFL player right now and has the skills to be better in the future. Patterson has the talent but has a horrible qb and cant run consistent routes and Hopkins I also like but will play second fiddle for awhile on a run first team. I don't think Hopkins will ever be a #1 wr on his team but will be a nice #2 guy in Houston.

All 3 of the guys I mentioned have #1 talent to be the guys on their team.

And they have good qbs throwing them the ball (except maybe Woods currently but like I stated above, I like Manuel and that offenses direction)

Man, I do not get the love for Barkley at all. Poor mobility, suspect arm strength, bouts of inaccuracy, superior college program...haven't we seen this before?

If I had to give my top 3:

QB:

1) Manuel-highest ceiling because of his mobility, good arm strength, good size.

2) Smith-don't love Smith, but he has good size and comes from a quick play offense.

3) Wilson-Best of the muck. Has many red flags (hand size, inconsistent in midrange balls, head injuries)

RB:

1) Bernard- Most elusive back, decent BMI for carrying the bulk of the load.

2) Bell- Good size with surprising agility for a 230 pound back. Best opportunity of the lot.

3) Stacy- I'm buying into the hype. Possibly the best athlete of the 2013 RB class, decent speed/agility and good size.

WR:

1) Austin- Guys with that combination of 40 and shuttle times are usually pretty good.

2) Hunter- Again, his measurables lift him. His size combined with his explosiveness shown in his broad/high jumps lift him up for me.

3) Patterson- Raw, but on potential he has to check in here. Could easily be the best WR from the class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I do not get the love for Barkley at all. Poor mobility, suspect arm strength, bouts of inaccuracy, superior college program...haven't we seen this before?
Yeah I don't either. Only reason I give him any thought is that Chip Kelly saw him for 4 years and still took him.

I do like Tyler Wilson.

Some of these players might take a few years to blossom but talent eventually shows.

qb-

1) Matt Barkley- Extremely accurate and smart qb who got put in a great situation with a great offensive minded coach.

It might take him a year to get on the field but this was Chip Kelly's only hand picked draft pick in this last years draft. Once Barkley takes over the reins I think he will be a very accurate and reliable starter for 10 years in the NFL and they have the weapons for him to put up very nice #'s

2) EJ Manuel- Will start during the first year and be a very good fantasy football qb due to his ability to rush and pass. The talent is getting better around him as well (Spiller, Stevie Johnson, Woods etc). I would feel safe in saying he will be a top 15 qb year in and year out starting 2014 and for the foreseeable future. (A lesser talented Cam Newton)

3) Tyler Wilson- This time next year Tyler Wilson will be the starting qb for the Raiders due to Matt Flynn being a less than good NFL qb. The weapons aren't great in Oakland but the new regime is trying to turn things around. I believe they will have a top 5 pick in the draft next year and will be targeting a premier WR. Wilson is a natural leader with all the physical tools (-speed) and a huge arm, that you need in a franchise QB. While no one will mistake him for Andrew Luck he will be the guy in Oakland.

rb-

1) Michael Christine- The best combination of speed and power in the draft IMO. As of now he will play behind Lynch but Lynch is a knucklehead and will screw up again eventually. Put this guy behind that line with his talent and we are talking top 5 potential. When I watch him run he just has it..........Perfect size, attitude and catches pretty good also. He might take 2-3 years but he is well worth the price you have to pay as long as you are committed to him for the long haul. Sitting behind Lynch might actually be a good thing for him so he can get totally healthy.

2) Marcus Lattimore- Again, gonna take a bit for him to get on the field but a perfect landing spot for Lattimore. He goes to a very good team with a veteran RB who has 1-2 years left of high production before he needs to be a full go. Lattimore by far would be the first pick in all dynasty rookie draft had he not had the injury he had. It will probably not allow him to get on the field at all this year but I think he will slowly start to take over Gore's gig next year. Lattimore is a smart rb with great size and above avg speed when healthy. Again, a perfect team for him to go to and sit to get healthy. Be prepared to have to spend a top 10 pick (in rookie drafts) to get him and hold him for the future.

3) Le'Veon Bell- This is a guy who should be productive from day 1. He has no competition (IMO) and will get a lot of carries and td attempts. He is an above avg receiver and a perfect fit for a good Steeler offense with a young and talented oline. 6-1 230 lbs and runs a 4.52 40 yard dash.........Sounds like he was made to wear the Gold and Black. The only bad thing about Bell is the early pick you will have to spend on him.

wr-

1) Robert Woods- This guy is the most polished product coming out of college into the NFL this year and will start day 1. He will have the advantage to grow with Manuel and build a good rapport with him. Woods got overshadowed at USC last year by Lee but was a projected first round draft pick heading into the year. You should be able to get Woods in the teens in your rookie draft and he will start paying dividends day 1. You are looking at a guy here that will have a long consistent career.

Don't mess out on him

2) Marcus Wheaton- The Steelers have a good history of drafting wr's and I think they hit a home run again. Wheaton should be getting a lot of work this year as maybe the #3 wr and might earn the #2 by the end of the year but eventually he will be the replacement for Mike Wallace. Todd Haley like to pass downfield and Wheaton is that threat. I love this kid, give him a 1-2 years and he will be a top 15 wr.

3) Keenan Allen- Phillip Rivers is missing that tall gifted wr since Vjax left (and held out), enter Allen. Allen had probably the worst started qb in college football throwing to him last year and still was able to put up descent #'s. Gates is older, Floyd is a waste and while I like Brown, he might now be the big time wr they need (good compliment though). SD has a new regime coming to town and I think Allen starts day 1 (Cause I have no confidence in Denario Alexander staying healthy. I think you can get Allen late 2nd round in most rookie redrafts and he think he offers huge value at that point. I still think Rivers is a good qb. he just needs better coaching, better blocking and better talent at the wr position. 1 thing Rivers has shown is he can make players very relevant if he trust them.

Let me know what you think. I know these guys are on most radars but I think more of them than most I think
QB:

1. Wilson

2. Barkley

3. Glennon

Barkley: Personally, I'm not buying the whole "Kelly hand picked Barkley and there's a decent chance he starts". I'm still in the camp that it's Foles job to lose. Barkley while accurate has very limited arm-strength. Nobody wants Chad Pennington running their offense these days. It just doesn't work in the current NFL.

Manuel: Maybe? He has all the talent in the world around him right now on that offense and even then I'm not sure I'm buying him. I still think the Bills messed up big time by not taking Nassib with this pick. His short ball accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. I really think people are starting to overvalue these rushing QBs because of Cam and RG3's successes over the past two seasons. Manuel is not that good. I think he'll start for the next two or three seasons then be replaced.

Wilson: I'm buying on this one, I'd say he is the best QB in the best situation in this draft. That said it's the Raiders, so who knows these days what those guys are doing.

RB:

1. Bell

2. Ball

3. Bernard

Christine Michael (this is his actual name): Guy has all the intangibles to be great. We can't ignore the fact of Lynch's presence and to say that Lynch will "mess up again" isn't the 'worst' bet in the world but not one I'm making. Lynch is one of the top 5 RBs in the NFL right now. He's going nowhere soon unless he decides to be Aaron Hernandez one night. Michael may end up panning out but it won't be for a couple of years. In dynasty he's probably a 3 year hold at least.

Marcus Lattimore: Yeah, absolutely. Next year Lattimore will more than likely take over the helm behind the QB. It's just a matter of how well he's healed and if it's caused him to lose anything. If he comes back at even 90% of who he was in college he'll be a stud on that offense.

Le'Veon Bell: Bell should be your #1 on this list in my opinion. I'm not sure how you are rating two guys with massive question marks over there heads above him. Bell will start as a bellcow (pun 100% intended) for the Steelers from day 1. He has most of the size, speed and strength numbers they look for in a RB. He's very much a Pittsburgh built back. I don't think he's anything 'special' per se but he'll get the job done and take on the 300 carry load the Steelers want out of their running backs. He won't produce like Doug Martin or TRich or even Alfred Morris but he'll be solid for 1200 yards and 10 TDs a season.

WR: I feel like you just picked these out of a hat...

1. Austin

2. Patterson

3. Hopkins

While I like all the guys you posted up there... I don't see how you rate them above these three.

Robert Woods: Has no established QB, Manuel has a ton of ?? on him. He isn't Calvin or Fitz his QB situation will matter.

Marcus Wheaton: Has the QB situation locked up but I will say that Wheaton was noted having some small issues. He's essentially a track runner that can catch a football. He doesn't possess good play after the catch ability and isn't the best route runner. Two categories that Austin is elite in so I'm not sure how you rate Austin below Wheaton. Wheaton also is no giant at 5' 11" so it's not like he will just snatch balls out of the air.

Keenan Allen: Maybe? See I'm in this position with the Chargers where I don't buy in on Rivers coming completely back to form. But I am buying Alexander and Brown. You have no confidence in Alexander staying healthy but there's really no reason to think he won't. And I think the "big Vjax receiver" position is his to lose. We saw how amazing Alexander was last season and I expect that to continue, they won't replace him with Allen on the depth chart until he proves otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

qb-

rb-

wr-

Don't mess out on him

QB:

1. Wilson

2. Barkley

3. Glennon

Barkley: Personally, I'm not buying the whole "Kelly hand picked Barkley and there's a decent chance he starts". I'm still in the camp that it's Foles job to lose. Barkley while accurate has very limited arm-strength. Nobody wants Chad Pennington running their offense these days. It just doesn't work in the current NFL.

Manuel: Maybe? He has all the talent in the world around him right now on that offense and even then I'm not sure I'm buying him. I still think the Bills messed up big time by not taking Nassib with this pick. His short ball accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. I really think people are starting to overvalue these rushing QBs because of Cam and RG3's successes over the past two seasons. Manuel is not that good. I think he'll start for the next two or three seasons then be replaced.

Wilson: I'm buying on this one, I'd say he is the best QB in the best situation in this draft. That said it's the Raiders, so who knows these days what those guys are doing.

RB:

1. Bell

2. Ball

3. Bernard

Christine Michael (this is his actual name): Guy has all the intangibles to be great. We can't ignore the fact of Lynch's presence and to say that Lynch will "mess up again" isn't the 'worst' bet in the world but not one I'm making. Lynch is one of the top 5 RBs in the NFL right now. He's going nowhere soon unless he decides to be Aaron Hernandez one night. Michael may end up panning out but it won't be for a couple of years. In dynasty he's probably a 3 year hold at least.

Marcus Lattimore: Yeah, absolutely. Next year Lattimore will more than likely take over the helm behind the QB. It's just a matter of how well he's healed and if it's caused him to lose anything. If he comes back at even 90% of who he was in college he'll be a stud on that offense.

Le'Veon Bell: Bell should be your #1 on this list in my opinion. I'm not sure how you are rating two guys with massive question marks over there heads above him. Bell will start as a bellcow (pun 100% intended) for the Steelers from day 1. He has most of the size, speed and strength numbers they look for in a RB. He's very much a Pittsburgh built back. I don't think he's anything 'special' per se but he'll get the job done and take on the 300 carry load the Steelers want out of their running backs. He won't produce like Doug Martin or TRich or even Alfred Morris but he'll be solid for 1200 yards and 10 TDs a season.

WR: I feel like you just picked these out of a hat...

1. Austin

2. Patterson

3. Hopkins

While I like all the guys you posted up there... I don't see how you rate them above these three.

Robert Woods: Has no established QB, Manuel has a ton of ?? on him. He isn't Calvin or Fitz his QB situation will matter.

Marcus Wheaton: Has the QB situation locked up but I will say that Wheaton was noted having some small issues. He's essentially a track runner that can catch a football. He doesn't possess good play after the catch ability and isn't the best route runner. Two categories that Austin is elite in so I'm not sure how you rate Austin below Wheaton. Wheaton also is no giant at 5' 11" so it's not like he will just snatch balls out of the air.

Keenan Allen: Maybe? See I'm in this position with the Chargers where I don't buy in on Rivers coming completely back to form. But I am buying Alexander and Brown. You have no confidence in Alexander staying healthy but there's really no reason to think he won't. And I think the "big Vjax receiver" position is his to lose. We saw how amazing Alexander was last season and I expect that to continue, they won't replace him with Allen on the depth chart until he proves otherwise.

I respect your thoughts and it seems like except the wr's we kind of agree alittle. As for the wr's I love Tavon Austin for MY rams. He is going to fill a spot as a playmaker we have been missing for awhile. That being said I don't think he will ever produce elite ff #'s. His ceiling is Percy Harvin (and I don't think he is that talented) and Percy is maybe a top 15 guy. Patterson is a raw talent with a bad qb and Hopkins, like I stated earlier, is a great compliment.

The 3 guys I listed I feel have the ability to be #1's on their teams and put up good fantasy #'s.

I live in Saint Louis and have been let down by Denario Alexander enough to give up on him. He is a great talent but his knees just wont allow him to make it through a year healthy. As for Wheaton, your description of him is Mike Wallace.

I respect your thoughts and it seems like except the wr's we kind of agree alittle. As for the wr's I love Tavon Austin for MY rams. He is going to fill a spot as a playmaker we have been missing for awhile. That being said I don't think he will ever produce elite ff #'s. His ceiling is Percy Harvin (and I don't think he is that talented) and Percy is maybe a top 15 guy. Patterson is a raw talent with a bad qb and Hopkins, like I stated earlier, is a great compliment.

The 3 guys I listed I feel have the ability to be #1's on their teams and put up good fantasy #'s.

I live in Saint Louis and have been let down by Denario Alexander enough to give up on him. He is a great talent but his knees just wont allow him to make it through a year healthy. As for Wheaton, your description of him is Mike Wallace.
I disagree to a rather great measure on Austin's ceiling being Percy Harvin. Mainly because I think comparing Harvin and Austin is a fruitless effort as they aren't the same player. I keep seeing this comparison and honestly it hurts my head. Austin is like smaller than Harvin by a good deal and bests him in just about every other measurable past size. They aren't nearly the same player. Patterson is a raw talent but he's also considered by most to be the one talent in this draft with true elite potential. Hopkins will be a solid 1000 yard 8-10 TD guy for the next season or two with a chance to become elite as Johnson ages and retires. So I disagree with you that he is simply a great compliment. He's a compliment for the next 2-3 years until he takes over as the #1. Think Julio and Roddy, same situation.

I understand you have been let down by Danario in the past being a Rams fan and all but you cannot deny how amazing he looked last season. He didn't get hurt last year and for me seeing a guy play even the end half of a year (like Alexander did) healthy and be able to enter training camp and everything healthy is enough for me to forgo the injury prone status.

I'm not a huge fan of Wallace thus I'm not a huge fan of Wheaton. Wallace had one Top 10 season and it seems like nobody has ever forgotten about it. If he ran a 4.6 instead of a 4.3 Wallace would be a terrible WR as opposed to a good one. Wheaton will never be elite and doesn't possess the route running, hands and after the catch ability to do so. Just as Wallace.

I disagree to a rather great measure on Austin's ceiling being Percy Harvin. Mainly because I think comparing Harvin and Austin is a fruitless effort as they aren't the same player. I keep seeing this comparison and honestly it hurts my head. Austin is like smaller than Harvin by a good deal and bests him in just about every other measurable past size. They aren't nearly the same player. Patterson is a raw talent but he's also considered by most to be the one talent in this draft with true elite potential. Hopkins will be a solid 1000 yard 8-10 TD guy for the next season or two with a chance to become elite as Johnson ages and retires. So I disagree with you that he is simply a great compliment. He's a compliment for the next 2-3 years until he takes over as the #1. Think Julio and Roddy, same situation.

I understand you have been let down by Danario in the past being a Rams fan and all but you cannot deny how amazing he looked last season. He didn't get hurt last year and for me seeing a guy play even the end half of a year (like Alexander did) healthy and be able to enter training camp and everything healthy is enough for me to forgo the injury prone status.

I'm not a huge fan of Wallace thus I'm not a huge fan of Wheaton. Wallace had one Top 10 season and it seems like nobody has ever forgotten about it. If he ran a 4.6 instead of a 4.3 Wallace would be a terrible WR as opposed to a good one. Wheaton will never be elite and doesn't possess the route running, hands and after the catch ability to do so. Just as Wallace.
I completely agree he doesn't have the skill set as Harvin, that's why I said his ceiling is Harvin is he totally maxed out his potential but he will be used in the same type of role. We will just disagree on Denario, I hope he stays healthy but those knees just don't give me a good feeling. I do love his talent though if he can stay healthy. Again, a disagreement on Hopkins, I just don't see it personally. If he gets 1,000 and 6 this year or next I will be the first to come back into this thread and say I was wrong. Thanks for the feedback though.

Users who are viewing this thread