What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Name the worst QB on this list (1 Viewer)

Who is the WORST Quarterback on this list?

• Favre

Votes: 45 30.6%
  • Elway

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Staubach

Votes: 62 42.2%
  • Manning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Montana

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Brady

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Marino

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters
"Worst" is very relative of course when you're looking at all time greats. I went with Staubach - maybe that's unfair because he played in an era where you weren't going to see gaudy passing game stats but to me he was not the type of QB to win you a game on his own (although he did win plenty of games). 

Sophie's Choice here lol, Marino is my favorite QB of all time but I could see a lot of people voting for him I guess as everyone else has rings. 

I went with Elway. Incredibly low completion percentage in comparison to his peers, threw more interceptions and touchdowns four times, almost 6 times. If not for catching a comet in Hall of Famer Terrell Davis to accompany a Shanahan lead zone blocking scheme he would be right there on the end with Marino, ringless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with Favre, actually. Too many backbreaking decisions at the wrong time in my memory, anyway. 

They're all great, I just think Favre was overhyped by the media at times. 
I wanted to take Farve but his arm was such a cannon and he was mobile in his prime. 

Who saw Staubach? I didn't.

Elway and Farve are bottom for the reasons listed above. 

Won a lot of last minute games. Lot of those games were like that because they threw some bad picks earlier in the game. 

Won a lot of last minute games. Lot of those games were like that because they threw some bad picks earlier in the game. 
I agree with you but a counter-argument: Those guys were asked to carry their teams more than the other guys were. Maybe? Hmmm, Miami had no running game or defense to speak of, either, for a number of years, and Marino carried them without the INTs, so...

Most overrated QB ever.

Great talent but a media made superstar.

Tony Romo was a better QB than Favre. (COME @ ME BROS!  :boxing: )
Not sure it was the media.  The guy was a fantastic and entertaining QB.

Romo though?  Please.  Romo could not do half of what Favre did.

Id probably go Elway or Favre from this list (without really seeing Staubach.  Favre had a better TD to INT ration than Elway.  :)

Not sure it was the media.  The guy was a fantastic and entertaining QB.

Romo though?  Please.  Romo could not do half of what Favre did.

Id probably go Elway or Favre from this list (without really seeing Staubach.  Favre had a better TD to INT ration than Elway.  :)
That's kind of the point.

Romo was a far superior QB, look it up.

Its between Staubach and Elway for me. Forced to choose, I'll say Staubach, though he was a lot like Aikman where his numbers would probably look better if he had needed to do more. Those 1970's Dallas teams had an elite defense, and a high quality running game. Staubach also had Drew Pearson and Bob Hayes to throw to, and later in his career had Tony Dorsett in the backfield. Elway had Sharpe and Davis later on, and had a HC in Shanahan who the NFL was completely incapable of figuring out for several years. I'd have no issues with someone who said Elway was the worst.

Conversely, I'd argue Favre and Marino are kind of underrated. They both spent large parts of their careers having to single handedly carry their teams. 

Of course, I'd also argue Manning>Brady(or any QB for that matter) so YMMV.

I'd rank that group:

Manning>Brady>Favre>Marino>Montana>Elway>Staubach

Of course not, the Favre media blitz made sure of that.

Favre is Vinny Testaverde with a Super Bowl win under his belt.
Now, as much as we usually agree, that's wildly overstated, I think. Testaverde's best and really only good years came with Baltimore and then the Jets around that '96-'98 period when he was about thirty-six through thirty-eight or something like that. His numbers pale in comparison to Favre's, all around. 

He was the worst of this group IMO.  He played a shorter career and was never named 1st Team All NFL.  He probably retired too early as the last few years were far better than the rest of his career.

There's no "worst", but Staubach's numbers aren't like the others on this list, primarily due to the era in which he played. I have no doubt that if he were in his prime on some of Montana's Niners teams or on the 2020 TB Bucs, he'd be an absolute beast. But he got my vote, because numbers.  

You might mean that Namath is Testaverde with a Super Bowl win under his belt. Testaverde might have been better than Namath for the Jets. 
Namath might not even be Trent Dilfer.  Namath was good at branding & soaking up the spotlight. The NY media loved his fur coats & swagger. 

Then he said he wanted to kiss Suzie Kobler & it all went to ####

To be fair, who can blame him - she's a fox. I also want to kiss her. 

Namath might not even be Trent Dilfer.  Namath was good at branding & soaking up the spotlight. The NY media loved his fur coats & swagger. 

Then he said he wanted to kiss Suzie Kobler & it all went to ####

To be fair, who can blame him - she's a fox. I also want to kiss her. 
Oh, I remember the moment. My friend and I looked at each other like "Did that just happen on national television?" 

"I wanna kiss you..." 

Got Namath to stop drinking. I'm not sure how he deals with all of that stuff now, whether he took the drink back up, etc., but he was really embarrassed by that. 

Oh, I remember the moment. My friend and I looked at each other like "Did that just happen on national television?" 

"I wanna kiss you..." 

Got Namath to stop drinking. I'm not sure how he deals with all of that stuff now, whether he took the drink back up, etc., but he was really embarrassed by that. 
In searching for the video, it referred to it as his "rock bottom moment", so I believe he uses it as a watershed moment for sobriety, using the embarrassment to not return to that place. 

I was watching live with like 20 people and the entire room was in stunned disbelief. 

Now, as much as we usually agree, that's wildly overstated, I think. Testaverde's best and really only good years came with Baltimore and then the Jets around that '96-'98 period when he was about thirty-six through thirty-eight or something like that. His numbers pale in comparison to Favre's, all around. 
I more meant that Favre was a stat complier. I agree he is probably better than Vinny but I am 100% that Romo>>Favre

Everyone should note that Roger Staubach didn't start his NFL career until he was 27 because he was y'know serving a tour of duty in Vietnam. He didn't start his first full season until 1973 when he was 31 because he was sitting behind Craig Morton who guided the Cowboys to the Super Bowl in '70.  He came in for Morton in '71 (at 29 years old) and led the team to the Super Bowl but Morton started the following season went 10-4 and took the Cowboys to the conference round.

Of course not, the Favre media blitz made sure of that.

Favre is Vinny Testaverde with a Super Bowl win under his belt.
Nothing about my thoughts on Favre have to do with a media blitz.  And Romo was just not that good.

Everyone should note that Roger Staubach didn't start his NFL career until he was 27 because he was y'know serving a tour of duty in Vietnam. He didn't start his first full season until 1973 when he was 31 because he was sitting behind Craig Morton who guided the Cowboys to the Super Bowl in '70.  He came in for Morton in '71 (at 29 years old) and led the team to the Super Bowl but Morton started the following season went 10-4 and took the Cowboys to the conference round.
All fair points. But the resulting numbers are what they are. 

Between that & the more ground-oriented NFL, I believe he has the weakest resume here. 

Not a slight against the dude by any means though. 

Nothing about my thoughts on Favre have to do with a media blitz.  And Romo was just not that good.
Fair.

If Romo was not that good and he was better than Favre...

FTR I know I am coming of as snarky (maybe?), somewhat intentionally as these threads are all about opinion so might as well have fun with it.

But I am not trolling at all. Romo is one of the most underrated QBs in NFL history. I sincerely believe he was better than Favre and I believe the numbers back that up.

Romo got a bad rap for a lot of undeserved reasons and Favre's status was elevated for a lot of equally undeserved reasons.

Romo got a bad rap for a lot of undeserved reasons and Favre's status was elevated for a lot of equally undeserved reasons.
3 fair criticisms:

1. Butt fumble in the playoffs. Fair or not, he’s always going to be remembered for this above all other accolades. Especially since he doesn’t have a ring, and because that fumble directly cost him one of his best shots at getting one. 

2. Injury-prone. He missed 36 games due to injury & played somewhat ineffectively through numerous other games due to various ailments.

3. 4th all-time in Cowboys career fumbles. 

When he was at his best he was awesome. Highest QB rating of all non-SB-winning QBs. 

but some of the criticism leveled at him is fair. 

All fair points. But the resulting numbers are what they are. 

Between that & the more ground-oriented NFL, I believe he has the weakest resume here. 

Not a slight against the dude by any means though. 
I think comparing Staubach to those other guys is like comparing apples to space ships.

Its hard comparing QBs over different eras mostly because of the rule changes.  In today's game, and most of Brady's career, it is essentially illegal to touch a quarterback in the pocket (we saw this again last night) or to make hard contact even outside the pocket. Favre started 321 consecutive games under slightly different rules, particularly early in his career.  When Staubauch and Marino played, it was pure chaos back there and they were sitting ducks.  It was perfectly normal for a DE to pick a QB up off his feet a full second or so after he released the ball and slam him to the ground on his throwing shoulder. 

I hated the Cowboys, but Staubach was a God.  He's was one of the most composed  technologically advanced QBs of his day (or would have been in the current day) and so were the Cowboys.  i know because i lived it.

There's no "worst", but Staubach's numbers aren't like the others on this list, primarily due to the era in which he played. I have no doubt that if he were in his prime on some of Montana's Niners teams or on the 2020 TB Bucs, he'd be an absolute beast. But he got my vote, because numbers.  
I gotta be honest and say this is an extremely odd take. You’re going to look at the numbers - but not do any statistical analysis to compare Staubach to his contemporaries but simply compare his numbers to more recent players?  

The rules and ancient medical practices by which Staubach played under should be taken into account. 

If this his how you evaluate players I can’t take you seriously. 

3 fair criticisms:

1. Butt fumble in the playoffs. Fair or not, he’s always going to be remembered for this above all other accolades. Especially since he doesn’t have a ring, and because that fumble directly cost him one of his best shots at getting one. 

2. Injury-prone. He missed 36 games due to injury & played somewhat ineffectively through numerous other games due to various ailments.

3. 4th all-time in Cowboys career fumbles. 

When he was at his best he was awesome. Highest QB rating of all non-SB-winning QBs. 

but some of the criticism leveled at him is fair. 
Butt fumble was Sanchez. 

Agree on the injuries.

Romo isn’t on this list. 

For those saying Elway, before he went to two Super Bowls and won with Shanahan and Davis and very good receivers, he did go to 3 Super Bowls with a pretty good defense and not much else on offense as far as skill position players. As much credit as Eli Manning gets for his team's two 4-0 playoff runs to win Super Bowls, Elway deserves some credit for his playoff runs in '86, '87, and '89 to get the Broncos to the Super Bowl. Just saying.

Butt fumble was Sanchez. 

Agree on the injuries.

Romo isn’t on this list. 
Oh - what was the playoff fumble as a holder that knocked the Cowboys off the playoffs? Maybe just a bad fumble and not the butt variety. 

agree to agree on the injuries 

I wasn’t the one who brought up Romo. ;)  

Users who are viewing this thread