What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nebraska volleyball sets world record for attendance at a women's sporting event (1 Viewer)

Love it. Such a cool thing.

Volleyball is my favorite women's sport to watch. Tennis is good too, but I get bored with women's basketball, soccer and softball pretty quickly.

Watched our local high school team play on Saturday and it was great. Helps they are really good and have several college-level players on the team.

92,003. World record for any sport.

Pretty cool. Looks amazing on TV.

How is this a world record for any sport? Doesn’t a big college football game get 100k every week?

Maracana stadium in Brazil had a record attendance of 199,854 for the Brazil vs. Uruguay match in the World Cup Final on the 16th June, 1950. This is the biggest attendance at a sporting event held in an enclosed stadium.

Awesome. I know the outside hitter Harper Murray for Nebraska and her family From Ann Arbor MI. Have watched her play locally for years,

Dad, Vada Murray played football at Michigan and passed away when she was young. #27 that she wears was his number. Sister plays at Michigan and wears #27.

This game was a big reason she picked Nebraska as she was the #1 recruit in the country last year.

HARPER MURRAY​

PositionOH
Height6-2
YearFreshman
HometownAnn Arbor, Mich.

lg.php

High School/Club
• Named the Gatorade National Player of the Year and Michigan Volleyball Player of the Year for 2022
• Won gold with the U.S. Girls U19 Team at the 2022 Pan American Cup and received the “Best Spiker” award at the tournament
• Had 13 kills and two blocks in the 3-0 win over Brazil in the championship match
• Competed on the U.S. Girls U18 Team at the 2021 FIVB World Championships, earning the bronze medal
• Selected to play in the 2022 Under Armour All-America Game
• Named an AVCA and MaxPreps High School First-Team All-American
• Attended Skyline High School in Ann Arbor, Mich.
• Received Michigan’s Miss Volleyball honor for 2022
• Led the Eagles to the Division I regional semifinals in 2022 with 726 kills, 409 digs, 86 aces and a .405 hitting percentage
• As a junior, finished runner-up in the Division I state finals and ended the season with 652 kills and a .430 hitting percentage
• Played club volleyball for Legacy and won the AAU U17 National Championship in 2021
• Ranked the No. 1 overall recruit by PrepVolleyball.com

This all started as kind of a rivalry when Wisconsin set the volleyball record at 18,755. :lmao:
Much more of this would be good. It is good for people to get tribal conflict out of their system by cheering for their sports team to beat the other sports team, or by one-upping a rival university by shoving more people into a phone booth or sitting on a flagpole the longest. That is much, much better than the way we handle this sort of thing now.

Somewhat of a pity they scheduled University of Omaha for this event. Nebraska is #4 in the country. I watched #1 Wisconsin play #21 Arkansas last night in a 5 set barn-burner.

Somewhat of a pity they scheduled University of Omaha for this event. Nebraska is #4 in the country. I watched #1 Wisconsin play #21 Arkansas last night in a 5 set barn-burner.
It was a mini round robin tourney that involved 4 teams from Nebraska. Nebraska also gave $50k to the other 3 teams for travel expense. A hand up for the state schools.
Yes, it was Volleyball Day in Nebraska. The earlier game was an exhibition contests between University of Nebraska at Kearney and Wayne State College. Not really a tournament, just 2 individual games.

It was mentioned that classes at UNL were cancelled for the day. High school volleyball players from all over the state were also excused from classes so they could attend the game.

:lmao: at y’all tripping over this.
did you see that nebraska fan showing his rear end and decide to be like hold my beer and watch this or what the whole thing is soooo cool and so awesome for women and anyone who supports them and all you can think is to crap on the excitement man says more about you than any other point you thought you were making take that to the bank brohans

now its time for wisconsin to step up and beat this record camp randall holds 80k plus for a football game and that leaves a lot of space on the field around the court lets do this and keep it going take that to the bank brohans

now its time for wisconsin to step up and beat this record camp randall holds 80k plus for a football game and that leaves a lot of space on the field around the court lets do this and keep it going take that to the bank brohans
The precedent is now set that you have to beat the volleyball attendance record by 73,248 for it to count. ;)

Seeing rumors online of both Oklahoma and Alabama looking into setting up softball games in their respective football stadiums. :thumbup:

:lmao: at y’all tripping over this.
did you see that nebraska fan showing his rear end and decide to be like hold my beer and watch this or what the whole thing is soooo cool and so awesome for women and anyone who supports them and all you can think is to crap on the excitement man says more about you than any other point you thought you were making take that to the bank brohans

I hated this shtick

Then I loved this shtick

Now I wonder how any sane person cares to stick with it for this long.

I’m wasn't nor will I crap on the event. It’s a fun event.

Personally, I’m not a fan of breaking everything down by race and gender.

It also didn’t happen naturally. Again, 100% awesome but also not an enormous deal. Both can be true.
It's awesome for the same reason the Little League World Series is awesome. Most of the people involved won't get a sniff of professional sport, and this is most likely the biggest athletic event of their lives.

It didn't happen naturally? I don't care. college volleyball athletes of any race and gender aren't gonna ever see a scene like this. Good for them. It will be a nice memory for them, if they can get past the 'Well Actually' fact that it didn't happen naturally.

Personally, I’m not a fan of breaking everything down by race and gender.

It also didn’t happen naturally. Again, 100% awesome but also not an enormous deal. Both can be true.
It's awesome for the same reason the Little League World Series is awesome. Most of the people involved won't get a sniff of professional sport, and this is most likely the biggest athletic event of their lives.

It didn't happen naturally? I don't care. college volleyball athletes of any race and gender aren't gonna ever see a scene like this. Good for them. It will be a nice memory for them, if they can get past the 'Well Actually' fact that it didn't happen naturally.

I said it was cool.

Everything else you’re going on about is your deal.

That was the only downer. I guess they wanted two in state schools for more fans though.

That was the only downer. I guess they wanted two in state schools for more fans though.

Not just that, but as @dino259 pointed out it was billed as "Nebraska Volleyball Day" with 4 state schools participating in a mini round robin tournament. Kids got off school, the smaller schools got a payday - it was a big celebration of the long tradition of awesome women's volleyball in Nebraska. They could have brought in Creighton, who is ranked, but they are a catholic school, not a Nebraska state school.

In retrospect, I don't think any top program would agree to play at Nebraska under these conditions. Its hard enough going to play them at the Devaney Center, much less in an open-air stadium in front of 93k. That said, I agree it negated any appeal for me as a spectator. I had no interest in watching, especially since #1 Wisconsin was playing #21 Arkansas at the same time in an epic 5 set war.

Then they took things even further last month by announcing classes would be canceled for "Volleyball Day."

Maybe its because I'm getting older or maybe because I have a daughter or maybe because I'm just a human with feelings but damn man, this is really f'n cool. I got goosebumps watching the girls enter the stadium.
I feel this is stupid for all of the same reasons you think its cool. Nothing wrong with that. Seems silly.

In the snow FTW.

• Love
Reactions: SWC

Users who are viewing this thread