What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need a new hobby (1 Viewer)

I really enjoy hiking.  You get to see some really great things.  It pairs well with a whole lot of other hobbies too camping/backpacking/photography.

Running is a nice hobby too, I did a couple winter race series last year and that was fun ended up doing a 5k/10k/or half every other week on average through the winter, but I didn't do it this winter.  They're kind of fun though, and there are usually good looking women especially if you're somewhat fast but not really fast (7.5-8.5 minute/miles) because that's where the majority of the more serious recreational women are going to be.  Since much faster than that is probably about 90% guys.

If you live near cold weather, skiing is awesome. Just got into it a few years ago and absolutely love and look forward to opportunities to head out.

How/where exactly would one get a start in this kind of craft?
While I'm certainly no leathersmith--I have had conversations with a few people that have started to fabricate custom watch straps.  Every single one of them has said that it all comes down to practice and repetition. Watches are all different when it comes to how the straps integrate into the case of the watch in regards to gaps/spacing--the height of the lugs and the placement of where the holes are drilled in the lugs that hold a strap onto the case of a watch..etc.  The best way for one to get a start in this in my opinion would be to practice on watches that you or your family personally owns. I'd also make it a point to visit jewelry/watch stores to see the quality of the fit/finish that is expected of high end watch straps for upscale watches.   Research would also need to be done when ordering the materialis that you are planning on making these straps out of. Out here on the west coast--there are places like Tandy leather where the people that work there are pretty knowledgable on the products that they sell--and can give you pros/cons of each material.  Etc.  

While I'm certainly no leathersmith--I have had conversations with a few people that have started to fabricate custom watch straps.  Every single one of them has said that it all comes down to practice and repetition. Watches are all different when it comes to how the straps integrate into the case of the watch in regards to gaps/spacing--the height of the lugs and the placement of where the holes are drilled in the lugs that hold a strap onto the case of a watch..etc.  The best way for one to get a start in this in my opinion would be to practice on watches that you or your family personally owns. I'd also make it a point to visit jewelry/watch stores to see the quality of the fit/finish that is expected of high end watch straps for upscale watches.   Research would also need to be done when ordering the materialis that you are planning on making these straps out of. Out here on the west coast--there are places like Tandy leather where the people that work there are pretty knowledgable on the products that they sell--and can give you pros/cons of each material.  Etc.  
This is the website of a friend of mine ---> https://anvilcustoms.com/

He made a hobby of leatherworking into a six figure income.

Competitive cake making. 

I've never done this, but it looks like the biggest ####ing waste of time. 

Can be a big initial investment,  but I enjoy my aquarium quite a bit. I enjoy the artistic side scaping the tank and it's fun to keep different types of plants and fish. And of course, I get the benefit of seing my work every day in my living room
Got a shot of your tank? Had a bunch of tanks set up in my basement awhile ago and looking to get back into it. Mrs even approved a tank on the main floor. :thumbup:

wine.

it doesn't have to be expensive, though it can be. 
I have 12 vines which makes about 25 bottles.. for about a month in the fall it is definitely a "time filler". But otherwise, as a hobby, it is a short time

:kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mountain biking.  Got into it about 3 years ago and really loved it.  Heading out Sunday for a 16 mile race/group ride.  Price of entry can be $1k, and it goes WAY up from there.  I'm currently riding one of these, bought used.  Keeps me fit, and it's always a hobby where you are always tweaking something on the bike, which I enjoy.

Must be a bunch of single guys here.. Or without kids...

What's "free time"?
You just wait.. When our daughter was young my thought was the same... Can't wait until she gets older for more free time.. Now she's a senior graduating this year and dreaming of those years :(

Unless somebody figures out a way to add more hours in a day, I can't make time for myself.

18 year old daughter attending local college (she doesn't eat up my free time, just all my money)

15 year old freshman daughter playing high school basketball & travel softball (of which I'm the head coach)

14 year old 8th grade daughter playing middle school volleyball

11 year old 5th grade daughter playing Saturday basketball, volleyball and travel softball

I think I have a free week in May sometime.. I'll have to find something to do for that week...
I once sounded like you. My youngest D is a college F now . I miss those hectic days sometimes 

what kind of grapes? 
3 varieties.. 4 Marquette (red wine), 5 frontenac (red wine) & 3 Frontenac Gris(white wine).. If I were to do the planning over again I'd skip the Gris as 3 vines isn't enough grapes to make wine so I end up using them to blend with the red and also give some to my Mother in law who makes us grape jelly. :banned:

This is the website of a friend of mine ---> https://anvilcustoms.com/

He made a hobby of leatherworking into a six figure income.
That stuff is pretty sick!!  You should tell your buddy to get into the world of custom watch straps.   While it's a niche market--the consumers that want something unique are willing to pay high price points.  Looking at the stuff that he makes--he easily has the skills to do well in the watch strap market. 

3 varieties.. 4 Marquette (red wine), 5 frontenac (red wine) & 3 Frontenac Gris(white wine).. If I were to do the planning over again I'd skip the Gris as 3 vines isn't enough grapes to make wine so I end up using them to blend with the red and also give some to my Mother in law who makes us grape jelly. :banned:
cool. 

i don't have much experience with any of those varieties, though i am a fan of blending a little white (or co-fermenting) into reds as it can bring a bit more acidity if needed. 

All the talk about making your own alcohol got me thinking since I'm not a drinker but I do like to smoke weed.  I grew weed for a few years and enjoyed that.    I can see myself doing that once I get back into it.   
This is what I plan to do for my hobby when I retire.  I want to buy a small place in a legal state and grow indoors.

As a kid I use to Love Pyrography, aka Woodburing

After looking over this Project,  

it gave me some ideas for my Cousins Cabin and lake and river we visit twice a year. He bought a $3000+ "Fish Finder" which allows us to map the bottom of the Lake/River system.. thought it would be cool to see if i could do the same project, but of the Lake/river..

Going to pickup a "cheap" iron at Walmart to test out if it is still fun or not and if so then buy a better one.. :popcorn:

Cocain has occupied a lot of my free time, but it occasionally affects my responsibilities at work. I try to go to the gym everyday and I've seen a huge difference in my energy and appearance. I'm getting ready to install a 300ft zip line in my backyard, so that should be fun for this spring/summer. I also have a dog that I do a lot with. Other than that, it's mainly just kids/family stuff. 

I've had a hobby of tasting fine chocolate.  I'm in the process of turning this into a side business.  

If it is something that appeals to you and you have a lot of time, you could look into learning how to make your own craft chocolate.  

All the talk about making your own alcohol got me thinking since I'm not a drinker but I do like to smoke weed.  I grew weed for a few years and enjoyed that.    I can see myself doing that once I get back into it.   
Internet not the greatest place to be posting this, eh?

I'd get a pet or a baby.  

You could volunteer at your local humane society to meet some potential pets.

I don't know where you try out babies ahead of time.  Maybe an orphanage.

Is there a sport you like? Become a ref.  I do it for ice hockey and a few days a month I do a few games.  Guys are really cool and you get paid so it's technically a for-profit hobby 

I love music and periscoping. Making videos has become an obsession with me at times 

I'm @TonyDJTK on periscope .

If I had room for a shop (and time), woodworking would be my choice.

Before my wife and I had kids, we did a lot of estate sales and auctions and resold on ebay or antique malls.  Loved the thrill of the hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread