What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Van Halen Album (1 Viewer)

Not that I would have been able to get into Cafe Wha, but wish I knew about this show. Must have been awesome.Lots of youtube clips floating around. Here's

He always was a gimmicky type singer but in the early days his goofy approach mellowed out Eddies more serious application to things and it made a nice mix. If I went to see VH it wouldnt be for DLR but more or less for the band.

That really is an amazing sound for such a tiny little spot. I'm most encouraged by Eddie's playing. And Dave sounds fine to me :shrug:

The "new song" they played is from the Demos they did back in the 70s. And I'll be damn if Wolfgang isn't killing the bass here. Love this!

The "new song" they played is from the Demos they did back in the 70s. And I'll be damn if Wolfgang isn't killing the bass here. Love this!

No doubt Wolfie will do a great job filling in on bass, but the background vocals are likely going to be lacking without Michael Anthony.

Van Halen has about 30 demos that are fantastic. Early version of later released songs with different lyrics, and some songs they just never got released in any form. Excellent stuff!

Probably have to ask Gene Simmons on that one. Definitely good enough to have bumped off a few songs on side two of the debut album.

For their first album, they had 50 original songs to choose from. And since they kept writing 7-10 new songs every year, they didn't feel the need to revisit "second rate" songs from their past. Onward and upward, as they say.Of course, it would have made perfect sense to release these songs on a boxed set in the '90s, but by that time Eddie had disowned the DLR era and he didn't want any Roth-era albums competing with the new Van Hagar material.

Eddie trunks twitter feed last night was a good read. Said the pa was not loud enough. Not the best sound but like someone said earlier being 10 feet from the band made it a non issue.

This post is spot-on. Wolfie is showing that he can more than handle his role in this band. Great bass work on this song. I don't know if the mix showcasing more bass is because of the small club or not, but I hope they attempt to put him more front and center in the mix on tour. He adds a real driving bassline to the songs...like it.

it shouldn't really be a shock that Wolfie would be a young prodigy. I mean his grandfather, father, and uncle were great musicians. He's been around it his entire life. I think what he might be able to add in terms of his bass play could make up for the vocal loss of Anthony. At least, I'm hoping so

Based on those clips, Ive decided I wont shell out money to see them. The band sounds great but Dave's voice is completely shot. Id hate to hear what it sounds like anywhere past the 3rd show on that tour.

Looking forward to the new album though :thumbup:

'tom22406 said:
'zamboni said:
'tom22406 said:
Did anybody mention who was the opening act for VH?

http://promo.livenation.com/vanhalen/

For those that don't wanna open the link it's Kool and the Gang :lmao:

This has to be a joke right? :lmao: :lmao:
I celebrate Kool's entire collection. :fro:
While I do enjoy some of the stuff they did I still have no clue how this sounds like a good match.I guess Slayer should ask Justin Beiber to go out for the next tour. :lmao:
It wasn't uncommon at all in the late 70's/early 80s. Prince opened for The Rolling Stones.

'Al Czervik said:

It was. They just released it under two different tracks: I'm the One & Mean Street.Opening riff is right out of I'm the One. Solo at the 1:30 mark is straight out of Mean Street.

I love it, but they've already been here and done that.

new song sounds great. And anyone that saw the last tour knows there is nothing to worry about with Roth's voice. He sounded great. I'm guessing in that club he probably couldn't hear himself at all, and that's pretty important to know you're in key when doing a live show.

The more I listen to Wolfie on the bass on the live She's the Woman clip...he's got some tight chops. Not surprising, but there's some serious talent there.

While you have to ignore the guy playing on top of it, here is the Bullethead demo from the 70s for those that haven't heard (and not live like the above link, so you can hear it better)

Last edited by a moderator:
While you have to ignore the guy playing on top of it, here is the Bullethead demo from the 70s for those that haven't heard (and not live like the above link, so you can hear it better)

The Atomic Punks are a good cover band, I'll give 'em that. And, this guy is good at covering the Atomic Punks version. I'm looking forward to hearing the 2012 VH version.

'Al Czervik said:

Part of the song was released.The Mean Streets riff at around 1:30 is exactly the same.

I missed your reply cobalt. :thumbup:

I grew up a huge VH fan and an even bigger EVH fan.First concert I saw with them he sat down on the stage right in front of me and jammed for about 20 minutes and I was in heaven.Went on to see the DLR version 5 times and the Hagar version 4 and also saw the Charone abortion once.

For me it was always about the musical side of VH so I enjoyed the Hagar version a little more because of what he brought to the band(live shows).Dave was really sloppy and rarely finish a song vocally which always got on my nerves but he was a great showman back in the day so I always loved the shows.

So they kicked out Sammy and then Michael Anthony(who was the backbone of the group)and are now releasing a bunch of stuff done 3 decades ago?

As a VH fan this is good that we are even getting anything but is this really the best they could do after all this time?

So I was reading Rolling Stone last month and run into this article from Sammy after the news hits of a new VH release and he does sound a tad bitter but he also is saying what a lot of older VH fans have been thinking for quite some time now.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sammy-hagar-claims-new-van-halen-record-is-all-old-stuff-20111121

I was racking my brain to think of the worst opening band they ever had seeing that Kool and the Gang(still a very odd choice IMO)are doing so on the tour and I came up with Autograph.The show I saw the lead guitarist blew out his amp on the first song and they tried to do with what they could but it was freaking horrendous.Autograph sucked to begin with but the added plus on no lead guitar made it comical.

Anyways,my point is do you feel Sammy is just bitter or speaking the truth here in the interview?

Sammy is a fat bitter turd. Get over it dude.
Not saying you're wrong here because I think it is partly true but having witnessed the 2004 reunion tour in person something was clearly wrong.The show was terrible at the MCI Center that I saw and it really was sad to watch Eddie be so bad so I tend to think a lot of what Sammy is saying is true simple because of how others around them were telling the same story.I really do hope Eddie has cleaned up and got his head right because he could have been so much bigger and better than he is/was.I will wait and hear the reviews before I decide to plop down anymore cash and that is tough for me being a long time fan.

Oh Eddie definitely has his issues, and hit a low point during that tour. No doubt about it. I just think Sammy has always acted jealous of the Roth era, has taken lots of shots at Dave over the years, and is now acting bitter towards Eddie about everything. I like a lot of his music, I just think he's a turd.

And while I heard as the tour went on things got worse, but I saw the 2nd show they did in Greensboro and it was awesome. Everyone in the band was spot on, Dave's vocals were great, and seeing the two of them literally tear up smiling was just awesome. I would definitely go see them if I were you.

Last edited by a moderator:
And while I heard as the tour went on things got worse, but I saw the 2nd show they did in Greensboro and it was awesome. Everyone in the band was spot on, Dave's vocals were great, and seeing the two of them literally tear up smiling was just awesome. I would definitely go see them if I were you.
Was talking about the 2004 tour with Sammy.I called it the reunion because they hadn't toured in over 6 years.Here is a clip of a show just before they visited DC and you will understand what I was talking about.

At one point it seemed like Sammy was laughing at how bad Eddie was playing and the reality was it was brutal.

Just found a few great videos from the Cafe Wha show. (much better quality than the others previously posted) I am blown away by how great Wolfie sounds.

The new video for the new single from the new album:

Tattoo.

Upon first listen, I'm underwhelmed. I'm gonna go to bed and I'll try again in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread