What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Van Halen Album (1 Viewer)

i met michael anthony a couple times in the early 90s. he was friends with my neighbor, and he and a friend came to visit her a couple times when i lived beside of her. i thought he was a very nice guy.

I love Mike's voice, but come on, don't you think Edward Van Halen's own son is likely a gifted and much more talented bass player? I certainly do. He may or may not be able to bring out the harmonies like Mike did, but he's not exactly a talentless no name bum they found. I'm optimistic.
The point is that the bass is pretty much a non-factor in VH. That was by design. You or I could have played bass in VH with a couple lessons. It was like what's his nuts, the drummer in AC/DC. There was nothing more than a serviceable advancement of the song there. The harmonies were most of the footprint he left, and a HUGE part of the DLR VH footprint. That can't really be overstated. I know it's just harmony vocals, what's the big deal...but no, it is a big deal and you're going to hear the void when the record comes out. Especially, if they're trumpeting it as a return to Diamond Dave era form.
I give you that Anthony's backing vocals were a fundamental part of VH's vocal sound. But that's not so much because his voice was all that amazing. He just happened to be the guy who could hit the high harmony notes. If they want to repreoduce that in the studio, they don't really need Anthony to make that happen. Live on tour, however, is another story. Of course, when I saw the show back in '08 or so, Wolfie was more than serviceable on backing vocals.
There were using harmonizers and loops for the background vocals on the last tour. It was a noticeable blemish to an otherwise great show.

I'm 99% sure I'll buy this album, but man, has there been anyone that's wasted as much talent and been a bigger #### in the last 20 years than Eddie Van Halen?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Mike's voice, but come on, don't you think Edward Van Halen's own son is likely a gifted and much more talented bass player? I certainly do. He may or may not be able to bring out the harmonies like Mike did, but he's not exactly a talentless no name bum they found. I'm optimistic.
The point is that the bass is pretty much a non-factor in VH. That was by design. You or I could have played bass in VH with a couple lessons. It was like what's his nuts, the drummer in AC/DC. There was nothing more than a serviceable advancement of the song there. The harmonies were most of the footprint he left, and a HUGE part of the DLR VH footprint. That can't really be overstated. I know it's just harmony vocals, what's the big deal...but no, it is a big deal and you're going to hear the void when the record comes out. Especially, if they're trumpeting it as a return to Diamond Dave era form.
If you're talking about Phil Rudd, both Angus and Malcom Young said they wrote songs with Rudd's style in mind. When Rudd retired to his farm in New Zealand, they really missed his style, because a lot of guitar riffs were built around it, and those riffs left a lot of space for the drums to pop. When Rudd came back, they were relieved because Rudd's drums really were part of AC/DC's signature sound, and the drummers they hired after Rudd retired the first time couldn't replicate Rudd as far as feel and attitude. Rudd is just as essential to AC/DC's sound as the guitar riffs, and again, both Malcom and Angus explained it in an interview years ago in I think Modern Drummer, in a Rudd cover story.

As always in the FFA, I came in here to provide input to the discussion, then by the time I got to the bottom of the page, I realized this isn't the place to talk music.

I will say that Sammy still sounds a little bitter, but in a likeable way. He's letting the barbs fly, alright.

As always in the FFA, I came in here to provide input to the discussion, then by the time I got to the bottom of the page, I realized this isn't the place to talk music.I will say that Sammy still sounds a little bitter, but in a likeable way. He's letting the barbs fly, alright.
It's a football message board and a band that hasn't done anything noteworthy in nearly 25 years and is strictly a nostalgia thing. What do you expect? A dissertation on Wolfie's intonation?Also, a lot of music fans here, old and young, couldn't care less about a new Van Halen record.That said...fire away. I'll talk music with you.

I won money one night while watching Van Halen in concert with friends. I bet that I could down a bottle of Jack Daniels just like Michael Anthony.

It is without a doubt the drunkest I have ever been in my life. I was brought home by my roommate...dropped to my knees at the foot of the bed, laid my head on the bed and slept for 18 hours straight. I woke up...crawled into bed and slept for another 30+ hours straight. I was definitely suffering from alcohol poisoning but it was worth it just so I could say I did it.

It's a football message board and a band that hasn't done anything noteworthy in nearly 25 years and is strictly a nostalgia thing. What do you expect? A dissertation on Wolfie's intonation?Also, a lot of music fans here, old and young, couldn't care less about a new Van Halen record.That said...fire away. I'll talk music with you.
Not saying I'm an expert, but alright, let's try it.There were a couple of factors that set Van Halen apart in the late 70's and 80's. 1) DLR's stage-presence and improvisational charm, and 2) Eddie not only having more talent than anyone on the guitar, but doing more "new" things with his guitar than any "hair" or metal guitarist of the era. Listening to other arena rock, power rock, and even some prog rock bands form that time, no one was taking their fretboard on quite the adventure that Eddie was. He wasn't the first to tap a lead, but I believe he was the first to use all eight fingers in doing so, which is why it got so much more attention than when Jimmy Page did it ten years earlier. He was also the first to play an entire lead of bell-tones by tapping 12 frets up from a held chord. The things he was doing were just unheard-of. Not to mention his blazing speed, and the "brown noise" that his Frankenstein-rig created...My point is that these are things that won't get them very far these days. Eddie isn't any less talented, but he can't be considered an innovator anymore, nor can his audience expect to be moved to any new areas when they listen to his stuff. Same goes for Roth: His charm and voice aren't weapons anymore, just tools. I'm sure Alex is still great, but he was never what moved the band ahead, nor was Michael Anthony.If I can draw some sort of bottom line here, it's this: I'll give the new album a listen if/when it hits the webs. Van Halen has earned my loyalty. But let's face it, anything they put out going forward will probably their catalog's new low. Just the nature of aging.

But don't forget that in addition to Eddie's innovative guitar work and Diamond Dave's showmanship, they also wrote some great tunes during that time period. If they can reclaim some of that mojo, we may end up with some good music out if this new effort. And no way is this new album worse than the Gary Cherone debacle.

But don't forget that in addition to Eddie's innovative guitar work and Diamond Dave's showmanship, they also wrote some great tunes during that time period. If they can reclaim some of that mojo, we may end up with some good music out if this new effort. And no way is this new album worse than the Gary Cherone debacle.
IIRC the reason that they kicked Dave out was because he wanted to keep the band and music as silly and gimmicky and Eddie wanted to write more complicated pieces. Thus creating a huge internal conflict.

If I can draw some sort of bottom line here, it's this: I'll give the new album a listen if/when it hits the webs. Van Halen has earned my loyalty. But let's face it, anything they put out going forward will probably their catalog's new low. Just the nature of aging.
"How Many Say I" would like to have a word with you about this statement.

IIRC the reason that they kicked Dave out was because he wanted to keep the band and music as silly and gimmicky and Eddie wanted to write more complicated pieces. Thus creating a huge internal conflict.
I think the conflict was created by Eddie's insane jealousy over Dave's solo career. It's the same reason why Eddie kicked out Sammy and Mike. Once you create music with someone else, you're out of the band.

As always in the FFA, I came in here to provide input to the discussion, then by the time I got to the bottom of the page, I realized this isn't the place to talk music.

I will say that Sammy still sounds a little bitter, but in a likeable way. He's letting the barbs fly, alright.
It should be shut down, right? :lol:

You'll get some thicker skin but by and large this place is just a time killer. Occasionally we get some killer threads. I personally like ones where people point out great deals as I don't have the time to search. I picked up an awesome cigar sampler that I will be puffing on over Christmas, that's real and it doesn't happen if I don't check in here.

Not saying I'm an expert, but alright, let's try it.There were a couple of factors that set Van Halen apart in the late 70's and 80's. 1) DLR's stage-presence and improvisational charm, and 2) Eddie not only having more talent than anyone on the guitar, but doing more "new" things with his guitar than any "hair" or metal guitarist of the era. Listening to other arena rock, power rock, and even some prog rock bands form that time, no one was taking their fretboard on quite the adventure that Eddie was. He wasn't the first to tap a lead, but I believe he was the first to use all eight fingers in doing so, which is why it got so much more attention than when Jimmy Page did it ten years earlier. He was also the first to play an entire lead of bell-tones by tapping 12 frets up from a held chord. The things he was doing were just unheard-of. Not to mention his blazing speed, and the "brown noise" that his Frankenstein-rig created...My point is that these are things that won't get them very far these days. Eddie isn't any less talented, but he can't be considered an innovator anymore, nor can his audience expect to be moved to any new areas when they listen to his stuff. Same goes for Roth: His charm and voice aren't weapons anymore, just tools. I'm sure Alex is still great, but he was never what moved the band ahead, nor was Michael Anthony.If I can draw some sort of bottom line here, it's this: I'll give the new album a listen if/when it hits the webs. Van Halen has earned my loyalty. But let's face it, anything they put out going forward will probably their catalog's new low. Just the nature of aging.
Solid

A thousand years from now when ethereal six-armed guitar mutants are playing through liquid crystal amplifiers, they still won't sound better than Eddie Van Halen.

A thousand years from now when ethereal six-armed guitar mutants are playing through liquid crystal amplifiers, they still won't sound better than Allan Holdsworth.
Better?
:thumbup:I remember the first time I saw Holdsworth live. I owned Metal Fatigue, and I was all set to hear my favorite guitar solo. I didn't know much about Jazz at the time, so I didn't know that most of the solos were improvised. So imagine my surprise when he played completely different notes. I wanted to quit playing the guitar that night.

A thousand years from now when ethereal six-armed guitar mutants are playing through liquid crystal amplifiers, they still won't sound better than Allan Holdsworth.
Better?
:thumbup:I remember the first time I saw Holdsworth live. I owned Metal Fatigue, and I was all set to hear my favorite guitar solo. I didn't know much about Jazz at the time, so I didn't know that most of the solos were improvised. So imagine my surprise when he played completely different notes. I wanted to quit playing the guitar that night.
His guitar tones on that whole Metal Fatigue album are sick. I played Devil Takes the Hindmost for a buddy of mine, and he thought it he sounded like he was playing violin instead of guitar.

As long as this new tour is to promote a new album, I'm down. But bullchit if there isn't any new music.

Better?
His guitar tones on that whole Metal Fatigue album are sick. I played Devil Takes the Hindmost for a buddy of mine, and he thought it he sounded like he was playing violin instead of guitar.
Yes. No one sounds like Allan Holdsworth. How many guitarists can we say that about?

I'm actually pretty pumped for this new album and I would love to see them on tour. Anyone know what I could be expecting to pay for two decent seats?

I'm actually pretty pumped for this new album and I would love to see them on tour. Anyone know what I could be expecting to pay for two decent seats?
We paid $150/seat during their last tour. It was the most disappointing concert I've ever seen; the sound kept going in and out, Dave's microphone was having issues, and the sound went out in the arena during Eddie's guitar solo when he started playing Eruption. The set list was awesome, but most of the people around us only knew the big hits so everyone was sitting down most of the night. I'm hopeful for a good new album.

I think the conflict was created by Eddie's insane jealousy over Dave's solo career. It's the same reason why Eddie kicked out Sammy and Mike. Once you create music with someone else, you're out of the band.
Shouldn't Eddie kick himself out of the band for coming up with the guitar riffs for Michael Jackson's "Beat It" then?

Feb 7th album release, first tour dates to be released Jan 3rd

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-confirm-feb-7-release-date-for-new-album/

After much speculation over a possible release date for their much-anticipated new album, the Van Halen News Desk is now reporting a Feb. 7 arrival for the comeback disc.

The album, which despite rumors will not be titled ‘The Future,’ will be preceded by a single and video set to premiere on Jan. 10. The band recently shot footage for the video at Los Angeles’ the Roxy — the same shoot also resulted in the tour promo videos that were discovered online the day after Christmas. Keep checking back for the big reveal on the album’s actual title.

Also on the Van Halen calendar: on Jan. 3, the band’s itinerary (cities and dates) for the first wave of its upcoming tour will be announced. As previously reported, Jan. 10 will also see the first round of tickets for the tour go on sale.

Meanwhile, a Feb. 8 drop date has been announced for the Japanese edition of the album, and that release will be available in a special limited-edition deluxe package, complete with a bonus DVD. So, don’t be surprised if a deluxe edition is also available in the States.

The album will be the first with singer David Lee Roth in nearly 30 years, and the backing tour is expected to be one of the biggest treks of 2012.

First single called "Tattoo" out next Tuesday.

The tour opens in Louisville, KY. Other dates TBD.

Small club gig for journalists at the Cafe Wha? in NYC this Thursday. There's a lot going on!

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/01/05/van-halen-and-david-lee-roth-rock-greenwich-village/

vid:

http://yfrog.com/nd460oz

Van Halen 2012 Tour Dates:

02/18 – Louisville, KY @ KFC Yum! Center

02/20 – Auburn Hills, MI @ The Palace of Auburn Hills

02/22 - Indianapolis, IN @ Bankers Life Fieldhouse

02/24 – Chicago, IL @ United Center

02/28 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden

03/01 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden

03/03 – Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena

03/05 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center

03/09 – Buffalo, NY @ First Niagara Center