What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets disaster (1 Viewer)

That is fine. Camp will feature a Sanchez vs Smith battle. Whoever wins is fine with me. Smith will be starting at some point during the regular season.

LOL at the Jets haters (some in this thread) who poked fun at the Jets 6-QB situation. This stuff takes care of itself, folks. Teams don't carry six QBs during the season.

This is the text to Adam Schein

Text from Garrard: "Having to call it quits. My knee is not holding up. Continuing to swell after practices. Limiting what I can do."

Garrard is leaving due to knee not holding up. Schefter reporting based on text to Schein.
If only there was a big name backup QB with a winning record whom the Jets are familiar with and who is familiar with the Jets... if only. But how could someone like that be on the market? Couldn't be.

Oh well.

That is fine. Camp will feature a Sanchez vs Smith battle. Whoever wins is fine with me. Smith will be starting at some point during the regular season.

LOL at the Jets haters (some in this thread) who poked fun at the Jets 6-QB situation. This stuff takes care of itself, folks. Teams don't carry six QBs during the season.
This is their current roster, right?

9 Garrard, David QB 6-1 239 35 10 East Carolina

14 McElroy, Greg QB 6-2 225 25 3 Alabama

6 Sanchez, Mark QB 6-2 225 26 5 Southern California

5 Simms, Matt QB 6-3 210 24 1 Tennessee

7 Smith, Geno QB 6-3 221 22 R West Virginia

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster.html

Who else do they have?

Last edited by a moderator:

This is their current roster, right?

9 Garrard, David QB 6-1 239 35 10 East Carolina

14 McElroy, Greg QB 6-2 225 25 3 Alabama

6 Sanchez, Mark QB 6-2 225 26 5 Southern California

5 Simms, Matt QB 6-3 210 24 1 Tennessee

7 Smith, Geno QB 6-3 221 22 R West Virginia

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster.html

Who else do they have?
They have four QBs now and one will just be a camp guy. They had six QBs on theroster a few weeks ago.

And now from @MikeGarafolo -

twitter news... take with a grain of salt. I'm sure the full story is still developing.

this much seems to be clear tho - he was taken to the hospital, charged w/ possession of marijuana, possession of firearm, hollow point rounds, and a loaded gun.

It says above that the driver (not Goodson) was charged with the handgun possession. Were there multiple guns in the car? Can two people be charged with possession of a single firearm?

Great Stephen Hill article and news I was waiting for - I get that all the offseason talk is usually all rosy but, with Hill coming off a mixed rookie year I wanted to see how his offseason went and how he tackled his rehab - Best news to my ears is he stayed at the Jet facility all offseason and Sounds humble and ready to put the work in while absorbing advice from his CB and Revis.....

With these NFL players I wouldn't have been surprised to hear he vacationed and partied all Offseason and thought he knew it all... I'll Bump UP Hill based on this....

STEPHEN HILL: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-insidewithea/Hill-Making-the-Effort-to-Step-Up/eb2980fb-9479-48f5-b8d9-ac6575c44eac

As OTAs begin, there is some uncertainty at the wide receiver position for the Jets. Santonio Holmes continues to work his way back from a Lisfranc injury and many people wonder what the Green & White will get out of Stephen Hill in Year 2.

Hill has all the physical traits you would want in a prototypical NFL wideout. The 6’4", 215-pound Hill possesses 4.3 speed and new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is an aggressive play-caller who will dial up plays down the field.

"Me and Marty had a lot of conversations, and he’s definitely looking forward to me stepping up," Hill said.

Hill made it look easy in his first professional game, becoming the first Jets rookie receiver to record two touchdowns in his NFL Debut and his 89 yards in a trouncing over the Bills also set a rookie record. But Hill, a raw product who was making a transition from a triple option attack at Georgia Tech, only collected 16 more receptions throughout his rookie season. Injuries hampered Hill’s 2012 campaign as he appeared in 11 contests and made eight starts.

"After I saw the things I was doing out there on the field, I have a lot to clean up," he said. "A whole lot to clean up, so I’m getting better at that. I’m not going to grade myself now of stepping to the next level, but I’m definitely going to look a lot better — a whole lot better from last year."

Hill, who stayed in the area this offseason after undergoing arthroscopic surgery to repair cartilage in his right knee, believes there are a lot of areas where he can improve.

"The basics. Route running — making sure I don’t show my route a certain way because these corners are very smart nowadays," he said. "Any little thing, they’ll just pick it up just that fast. Cro helped me out with that and actually when (Darrelle) Revis was here — they helped me out with that. Telling me as the year went on how I needed to clean up certain things, and also Santonio Holmes he does the same thing especially in the meeting room. What I need to write down, how I need to see certain things and it’s definitely paid off."

Just like all his offensive teammates, Hill is learning a new offensive language. Mornhinweg called his West Coast terminology "substantial" and has been happy how his players have embraced the challenge.

"You have to know one word and you have to know what everybody’s doing," Hill said. "You have to stay in your playbook — you have to read everything that’s in that playbook. If not, you’re going to be behind."

While Hill will catch passes from the Jets’ four quarterbacks out here at OTAs, he actually already gained experience with rookie Geno Smith at the Offense-Defense (OD) High School All-American Bowl in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

"It was pretty cool. We were actually connecting out there," Hill said. "He said, ‘It’s pretty crazy that we got on the same NFL team.’ We’re definitely trying to make sure that we get this thing rolling, so we can at least be something in the future."

Hill, with one pro season under his belt, has been very impressed with Smith’s approach.

"He takes his game seriously," said the Georgia Tech alum. "He really does... He’s being a pro, and I love the way he’s taking it."

A second-round pick of the Jets in the 2012 draft, Hill just turned 22 in April. The Jets stuck to their board and did not reach for a receiver in the draft. They could elect to add a veteran free agent before training camp, but Hill will be counted on to make a big-time impact in Year 2.

"He’s a big part of this offense. We need him to step up and having him where he is right now is going to speak volumes," said CB Antonio Cromartie. "I’m definitely waiting to see how he’s going to be when we go to training camp because he’s coming out to with me to California and we’re going to be working out together."

"I’m definitely looking forward to showing my skills especially to the coaches and the GM," added Hill. "I love the way the GM’s talking. He really wants competition and that’s what we’re definitely going to bring out there."

I was bored a couple of weeks ago so looked up every one of Stephen Hill's targets last season. He needs to start catching the ball away from his body and, like he said himself, clean up his routes. The pure athleticism is there and he can easily get separation. Hopefully his attitude and injuries will improve and he can get on the field ahead of players like Chaz Schilens and Clyde Gates. Perhaps it's the homer optimist in me, but I think he has potential to be a top 10 WR.

Picked him up in a start up Dynasty league already this year and will be looking to roster him as a very late pick in re-draft leagues.

This is a pretty long read, but I think it's a good post-mortem of Tannenbaum's GM tenure. Link
Thanks - GREAT READ....

A lot of where I've been with this team and the antithesis of the Knee Jerk / Headline Grabbing NY Circus "Disaster" commentary that is ironically even in the Headline of this very thread.....

Bottom line - EVERYTHING has been about a few bad drafts in a row and whiffing on Sanchez. Pretty much all else has been blown out of proportion for a NY audience and taken nationally.

I will say though that I was never one of those fans who called Tanny one of the best GM's and then turned on him - I was always leery of a pure cap guy with little to know Football knowledge - Scouting, playing or coaching background...

Never really like Tanny and I was was full bore driving the bus to FIRETANNY early on.

Geno and Mark were both awful in open OTA today. fun fact the 1 mcElroy rep apparently hit his lineman in the head.

from Mehta (beat writer for Daily News)

First team period: Sanchez goes 3 for 5, INT, sack. Geno goes 0 for 4, INT (tipped). Simms works w/ 3rd team. McElroy takes 1 snap w/4th tm

Second team period: Sanchez goes 3 for 6, 2 INTs (one could have been viewed as sack b4 INT) in 9 snaps. Geno goes 3 for 6, 1 sack/8 snaps

Geno Smith has signed with Jay-Z's Roc Nation for his representation.
He'll be represented by Kim Miale. According to USA Today's Mike Garofolo, Miale's only two other clients are K Carlos Martinez and LB Brandon Hicks. Neither have ever appeared in an NFL game. Smith insists his decision to align with the neophyte agency is not an "image thing." May 22 - 1:13 PM
Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

He'll be represented by Kim Miale. According to USA Today's Mike Garofolo, Miale's only two other clients are K Carlos Martinez and LB Brandon Hicks. Neither have ever appeared in an NFL game. Smith insists his decision to align with the neophyte agency is not an "image thing." May 22 - 1:13 PM
Tell me this isn't :tfp:

This is a pretty long read, but I think it's a good post-mortem of Tannenbaum's GM tenure. Link
Thanks - GREAT READ....

A lot of where I've been with this team and the antithesis of the Knee Jerk / Headline Grabbing NY Circus "Disaster" commentary that is ironically even in the Headline of this very thread.....

Bottom line - EVERYTHING has been about a few bad drafts in a row and whiffing on Sanchez. Pretty much all else has been blown out of proportion for a NY audience and taken nationally.

I will say though that I was never one of those fans who called Tanny one of the best GM's and then turned on him - I was always leery of a pure cap guy with little to know Football knowledge - Scouting, playing or coaching background...

Never really like Tanny and I was was full bore driving the bus to FIRETANNY early on.
This is the crux of the issue. If Sanchez didn't suck and if other picks had worked out, then pretty much everything else over the past few years would've been different.

In the least surprising news of the day, both QBs looked awful. However, I read that Sheldon Richardson looked good, which is terrific news. I'm very excited for him.

Thanks - GREAT READ....

This is the crux of the issue. If Sanchez didn't suck and if other picks had worked out, then pretty much everything else over the past few years would've been different.
Heck, If Vernon Gholston was the Pass Rusher they desperately needed for so long they would have had a much better shot in those Championship games - add a solid Ducasse.....

YAWN AGAIN.....

With the new CBA you don't even need an agent anymore - just a lawyer to sign the deal.....

Another issue ppl will blow up that means nothing to me.....

ONLY way I would have cared is if Geno signed with Schwartz Feinseld of Revis, Roddy White Fame....

Would have been a huge hick in the nads to see Geno drop his agent then sign with those ####'s

YAWN AGAIN.....

With the new CBA you don't even need an agent anymore - just a lawyer to sign the deal.....

Another issue ppl will blow up that means nothing to me.....

ONLY way I would have cared is if Geno signed with Schwartz Feinseld of Revis, Roddy White Fame....

Would have been a huge hick in the nads to see Geno drop his agent then sign with those ####'s
Exactly. For a guy like Geno, his agent is going to be almost entirely working on endorsement deals and doing PR. So it makes sense to go with an agency that has a lot of media/pop-culture sway, even if the agent doesn't have any experience working on NFL contracts.

from Rotoworld:

The Jets don't expect Santonio Holmes (foot) to participate in June's mandatory minicamp.
It's not a surprise, as Holmes is still considered iffy for the beginning of training camp after going down last September. Holmes' injury was serious, but he doesn't seem to be rehabbing with a sense of urgency, instead taking classes at Ohio State. This is a marriage both sides appear keen to end. They almost certainly will in 2014.

Mark Sanchez went 6-of-11 with three interceptions in Jets OTAs Wednesday.
One pass was picked off by UDFA DT Damon "Big Snacks" Harrison. Geno Smith wasn't much better, going 4-of-10 with a pick of his own. Coach Rex Ryan called Sanchez's display "unacceptable." The Jets' QB competition is going to get worse before it gets better.
Sanchez is in mid-season form already.

Thanks - GREAT READ....

Heck, If Vernon Gholston was the Pass Rusher they desperately needed for so long they would have had a much better shot in those Championship games - add a solid Ducasse.....
Or if the Jets didn't win their meaningless last game of the 2007 season against KC, they would've picked ahead of the Falcons and almost certainly would've taken Matt Ryan.

I won't even click on that link. Unless the QBs get injured, there will be no news of any real note until August. As for them looking bad or good now, big whoop. As I recall, Eli Manning was putrid during actual games that counted in 2004.

It is about regular season performance and development there. OTAs? Not so much. I actually would prefer Smith to look bad now. I expect Sanchez to look bad.

Geno Smith won't be at Mark Sanchez's Jets West

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Mark Sanchez's Jets West camp kicked off Thursday in Southern California. Geno Smith was not in attendance.

NFL.com and NFL Network learned Thursday that Smith will not attend the camp, according to a source. The New York Daily News reported that Smith is working out in Florida and plans to stay there through the weekend, a source said.

It's curious news that brings into question the relationship between Sanchez and Smith, two quarterbacks who will compete for the New York Jets' starting quarterback role in training camp and the preseason. Tim Tebow -- Sanchez's backup in 2012 -- attended Jets West last summer.

Smith initially offered a no comment when asked about attending Jets West, which Sanchez has hosted in Mission Viejo, Calif., the past four years. Smith later clarified that he didn't commit to the event because he didn't know what it was. Still, Smith made it clear to reporters that he hadn't been formally invited by Sanchez.

"We haven't talked about it, but from my understanding, it's something that's done annually and all the guys go out there and it's been a great experience," Smith said last month. "Mark hasn't officially extended the hand to me, but I'm pretty sure there's no problem there."

Now we're left to speculate if Sanchez ever invited Smith, or if the rookie simply chose to stay away from the team-building exercise. Either way, it's an unnecessary storyline for the Jets, who'd be wise to steer clear of any big-top-related drama.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

If some geeky co-worker asked me to attend some outside session and I was new to the company, I would talk to my employer about it first. I would not go unless my employer said to go.

I know. It is NFL football. It is not like a real job. Still, I don't get why Smith should get criticism for not attending.

Report: Jets 'toying' with using Geno Smith as 'change-of-pace' QB

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

July 15, 2013 10:25 am ET
The more things change, the more they stay the same: the Jets are reportedly "toying" with using a big-name backup quarterback as a "change-of-pace" guy behind Mark Sanchez. Except this time it's Geno Smith who's potentially being lobbed into the hell that is Jets quarterback limbo.

According to Rich Cimini at ESPN New York, Jets coaches want to turn Smith into what Tim Tebow "was supposed to be last season."

"The coaches are toying with the idea of turning Smith into what Tebow was supposed to be last season -- a change-of-pace quarterback (assuming he doesn't win the starting job)," Cimini writes. "Smith would have a package of plays, mainly read-option runs that could exploit his speed."

This is, undoubtedly, the worst idea anyone on the Jets has had since someone handed Sanchez that ridiculous headband.

Smith isn't a running quarterback: he had 342 rushing yards in college. Like, all four years of it. Do you know who else has 342 rushing yards over four years? MARK SANCHEZ. The calculations here are irrelevant, because what matters is that you understand Geno Smith is not a rushing quarterback.

Geno's not some gimmick, Wildcat guy. And if the Jets drafted him thinking he'd be anything other than a "real" passing quarterback, they're more ridiculous than we could've even imagined.

We've heard chatter about this sort of offensive attack before, but that doesn't mean we should be any less outraged by it now than we were a few months ago. Besides, at this point, just about anything is a welcome reprieve from talking about Jets West.

Report: Jets 'toying' with using Geno Smith as 'change-of-pace' QB

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

July 15, 2013 10:25 am ET
The more things change, the more they stay the same: the Jets are reportedly "toying" with using a big-name backup quarterback as a "change-of-pace" guy behind Mark Sanchez. Except this time it's Geno Smith who's potentially being lobbed into the hell that is Jets quarterback limbo.

According to Rich Cimini at ESPN New York, Jets coaches want to turn Smith into what Tim Tebow "was supposed to be last season."

"The coaches are toying with the idea of turning Smith into what Tebow was supposed to be last season -- a change-of-pace quarterback (assuming he doesn't win the starting job)," Cimini writes. "Smith would have a package of plays, mainly read-option runs that could exploit his speed."

This is, undoubtedly, the worst idea anyone on the Jets has had since someone handed Sanchez that ridiculous headband.

Smith isn't a running quarterback: he had 342 rushing yards in college. Like, all four years of it. Do you know who else has 342 rushing yards over four years? MARK SANCHEZ. The calculations here are irrelevant, because what matters is that you understand Geno Smith is not a rushing quarterback.

Geno's not some gimmick, Wildcat guy. And if the Jets drafted him thinking he'd be anything other than a "real" passing quarterback, they're more ridiculous than we could've even imagined.

We've heard chatter about this sort of offensive attack before, but that doesn't mean we should be any less outraged by it now than we were a few months ago. Besides, at this point, just about anything is a welcome reprieve from talking about Jets West.
Now that would be funny, if, after expending the draft picks and the time and noise on Tebow just so they could demonstrate their offensive ineptitude because they had no clue how to use him and later chuck him, the Jets go and spend a 2nd on Smith and just end up doing the same dang thing all over again.

Sanchez claims he sent email invitations to all offensive skill players per ESPN NY.
Nothing says comaraderie and leadership like an email.
You don't make plans with your friends via e-mail? You don't set up business meetings with Outlook?

There's plenty of things to bag on Sanchez about, but this seems a stretch.
Bachelor parties, Saints and Tiger games, fishing, beers, BBQ, etc., yes.

In business, sure.

But the new guy comes on board and for whatever reason this west coast training exercise is being treated like some kind of training to return to good football, and instead of reaching out in person he just shoots an email? No. If it's important reach out to call him and personally ask him. If it's no big deal then fine; if it is then treat it likes it's important.

ETA: Unless he doesn't really want him there.

Sanchez claims he sent email invitations to all offensive skill players per ESPN NY.
Nothing says comaraderie and leadership like an email.
You don't make plans with your friends via e-mail? You don't set up business meetings with Outlook?

There's plenty of things to bag on Sanchez about, but this seems a stretch.
Bachelor parties, Saints and Tiger games, fishing, beers, BBQ, etc., yes.

In business, sure.

But the new guy comes on board and for whatever reason this west coast training exercise is being treated like some kind of training to return to good football, and instead of reaching out in person he just shoots an email? No. If it's important reach out to call him and personally ask him. If it's no big deal then fine; if it is then treat it likes it's important.

ETA: Unless he doesn't really want him there.
Maybe it's a blast e-mail to every skill position player with the details on the event. Does he need to reach out individually to Smith for any reason? I don't see why, Smith could have followed up if he had any questions.

Sanchez has done this for the past two, maybe three years. He flies everyone out there, puts them up in luxury hotels (all on his dime) and runs a 2-3 camp with classroom sessions and on the field workouts to get in synch before camp.

Your implication that he didn't want Smith in attendance rings a little hollow. He did invite Tebow last year, and Tebow attended.

I think this is the typical non-story that somehow becomes a story. I don't care that Smith chose not to attend for whatever reason and frankly I wouldn't care if Sanchez truly didnt invite him.

Geno Smith had 'lackluster' offseason for N.Y. Jets?

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Mark Sanchez repeatedly has professed confidence about winning the New York Jets' starting quarterback job. We wouldn't expect him to say anything else, but perhaps some of his confidence comes from sizing up the competition.

ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini says rookie Geno Smith has a lot to prove after a "lackluster" performance in organized team activities and minicamp. Cimini also wonders about Smith's leadership.

We've noticed a few outlets make a big deal out of Cimini writing that the Jets are considering using Smith as a "change of pace" quarterback, but this doesn't qualify as news. Rex Ryan talked at length about the issue a month ago.

"They didn't really run a whole lot of zone reads and different things (at West Virginia)," Ryan admitted. "But (Smith) has the skill set to where there's no reason he shouldn't be able to do that. ... Running for first downs and touchdowns, I think that's how the league is probably going to progress with these things."

Cimini questions Smith's leadership in his piece, which could be a tiebreaker in Sanchez's favor for now. Sanchez has a long history with many of his teammates. Wide receiver Stephen Hill told NFL Network last week at Jets West that Smith barely says a word in general, which isn't a bad way to be for a rookie. But it could take a while for Smith to make the Jets "his team."

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

I just posted the email point to fill out the story posted that said it was unknown if Smith was invited. I do not think it is a big deal either way. The Jets Nation guys last night said that none of the other QBs went. I thought McElroy went last year, but am not sure about it. And I am not surprised Tebow went last year, as just a team kind of guy.

I'll pass on anything Cimini writes, it's all speculation from a biased set of NY writers.

Kid got his first look at the playbook and WCO, so let's give him a chance. From the legit articles I've read, he seems like a good kid and a hard worker.

All I know is if Sanchez is opening Day QB and he is pikced off by Revis the building will erupt.

I can't see it happening. (Not the pick, i do see that, but him being starting QB, he has no rope left with the NY Jet fans.)

I expect Geno to start and the NYJ to see what they have in this kid for the entire season to see if they need to grab another kid next year from what looks like a pretty good QB 2014 draft.

I'll pass on anything Cimini writes, it's all speculation from a biased set of NY writers.

Kid got his first look at the playbook and WCO, so let's give him a chance. From the legit articles I've read, he seems like a good kid and a hard worker.

All I know is if Sanchez is opening Day QB and he is pikced off by Revis the building will erupt.

I can't see it happening. (Not the pick, i do see that, but him being starting QB, he has no rope left with the NY Jet fans.)

I expect Geno to start and the NYJ to see what they have in this kid for the entire season to see if they need to grab another kid next year from what looks like a pretty good QB 2014 draft.
That... will be awesome when it happens.

And it will.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/schedule/season-schedule.html

Rotoworld:

Jets re-signed Braylon Edwards to a one-year contract.
This was fully expected to be finalized after Edwards went through a physical with Gang Green earlier on Wednesday. The 30-year-old appeared in three games for the Jets last season, catching ten passes for 125 yards. New York was in dire need of some veteran receiver help with Santonio Holmes (Lisfranc surgery) still on the shelf. Edwards has a real shot to start in Week 1 against the Bucs.

Rotoworld:

Jets re-signed Braylon Edwards to a one-year contract.
This was fully expected to be finalized after Edwards went through a physical with Gang Green earlier on Wednesday. The 30-year-old appeared in three games for the Jets last season, catching ten passes for 125 yards. New York was in dire need of some veteran receiver help with Santonio Holmes (Lisfranc surgery) still on the shelf. Edwards has a real shot to start in Week 1 against the Bucs.

Feel like he'd take the Stephen Hill slot opposite Holmes/Kerley.

Users who are viewing this thread