What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (7 Viewers)

Going to the Brooklyn Museum tomorrow to see the David Bowie exhibit (only a couple of weeks left!) Looks like Franklin Ave has a lot of options for food but any specific recs for lunch in the area?

It's funny that I started this thread looking for recs in the same area.

Going to the Brooklyn Museum tomorrow to see the David Bowie exhibit (only a couple of weeks left!) Looks like Franklin Ave has a lot of options for food but any specific recs for lunch in the area?

It's funny that I started this thread looking for recs in the same area.
Chavela’s, Mayfield, Berg’n are all pretty good. Chavela’s is Mexican, Berg’n is a beer hall with great beer and a handful of different food vendors including Mighty Quinn’s. Mayfield is fancier America.  

Franklin Park is a popular outdoor burger/drinking establishment. Its never really blown me away but is fine for what it is. 

Lots of stuff on Washington and Vanderbilt too which are closer to the museum, but I can’t really speak to them first hand. I’ve heard good things about Sunshine and Compamy.

And on Underhill is a Caribbean place called Cheryl’s. It’s been years but I used to eat there a lot. 

Story in Harper's about the change in NYC from vital, vibrant city to quasi suburban, soul-less playground of the rich. Interesting, moreso when presenting facts as opposed to opinions (i don't need your uninformed architectural opinions to sell your point, guy)

Chavela’s, Mayfield, Berg’n are all pretty good. Chavela’s is Mexican, Berg’n is a beer hall with great beer and a handful of different food vendors including Mighty Quinn’s. Mayfield is fancier America.  

Franklin Park is a popular outdoor burger/drinking establishment. Its never really blown me away but is fine for what it is. 

Lots of stuff on Washington and Vanderbilt too which are closer to the museum, but I can’t really speak to them first hand. I’ve heard good things about Sunshine and Compamy.

And on Underhill is a Caribbean place called Cheryl’s. It’s been years but I used to eat there a lot. 
Thanks Nick! Some nice options.

Looks like life got in the way of our plans today but hopefully next weekend, before the exhibit leaves.

just booked a flight to new York for a week in October 
bucket list trip so have some questions as I only bought it a couple of minutes ago and haven't started researching yet 

I fly into and out of Newark , is it easy to get into and out of it with public transportation 
im a budget solo traveler so like saving money on a rooms (usually private Airbnb room or hostel) to spend it on something else 
if I do Airbnb , whats a good area for me to stay in that's easy for me to get around - buses or trains
or any hostels that are good
I want to get tickets for the giants (eagles on thurs night)  and rangers (sat afternoon against oilers)  games the week im there , is it better to buy tickets now or wait until game day
im going to do all the tourist stuff  but anything else that I should see

once I figure out where im staying ill probably come back and ask about food  

thanks

bucket list trip so have some questions as I only bought it a couple of minutes ago and haven't started researching yet 

I fly into and out of Newark , is it easy to get into and out of it with public transportation 
im a budget solo traveler so like saving money on a rooms (usually private Airbnb room or hostel) to spend it on something else 
if I do Airbnb , whats a good area for me to stay in that's easy for me to get around - buses or trains
I want to get tickets for the giants (eagles on thurs night)  and rangers (sat afternoon against oilers)  games the week im there , is it better to buy tickets now or wait until game day

thanks
You can easily train or bus in from Newark, yes.

thanks
I would buy your sports tickets sooner than later.   Especially for the giants game.

Regarding airbnb just try to be near a subway and you should be good most neighborhoods in Manhattan.  You can also look at the outer boros if it’s much cheaper but usually people find decent deals on Airbnb in Manhattan.

there are hostels in Chelsea and the upper upper west side... Chelsea more convenient to everything.

If you find some airbnbs that look interesting, run them by us- we'll be able to tell you yes/no in regards to specific neighborhoods and maybe even block to block.

I would buy your sports tickets sooner than later.   Especially for the giants game.

Regarding airbnb just try to be near a subway and you should be good most neighborhoods in Manhattan.  You can also look at the outer boros if it’s much cheaper but usually people find decent deals on Airbnb in Manhattan.
thanks for heads up on the giants game
never been to the stadium so are there any sections I should avoid (bad sight line or just idiots besides eagles fans ) 

will start looking into airbnbs 

there are hostels in Chelsea and the upper upper west side... Chelsea more convenient to everything.

If you find some airbnbs that look interesting, run them by us- we'll be able to tell you yes/no in regards to specific neighborhoods and maybe even block to block.
cool thanks , ill do some googling for them

and thanks for the offer of helping out about neighborhoods  

Story in Harper's about the change in NYC from vital, vibrant city to quasi suburban, soul-less playground of the rich. Interesting, moreso when presenting facts as opposed to opinions (i don't need your uninformed architectural opinions to sell your point, guy)
And yet he concedes early on in the article that "...New York today—in the aggregate—is probably a wealthier, healthier, cleaner, safer, less corrupt, and better-run city than it has ever been."

Sometimes nostalgia and rosy retrospection does distort reality, as NYC was pretty much a vibrant ####hole in the Seventies and Eighties. 

I do agree with him that landlords are killing the city. I don't know what it is, but this city attracts some of the worst landlords on the face of the earth. But it's always been that way. 

And yet he concedes early on in the article that "...New York today—in the aggregate—is probably a wealthier, healthier, cleaner, safer, less corrupt, and better-run city than it has ever been."

Sometimes nostalgia and rosy retrospection does distort reality, as NYC was pretty much a vibrant ####hole in the Seventies and Eighties. 

I do agree with him that landlords are killing the city. I don't know what it is, but this city attracts some of the worst landlords on the face of the earth. But it's always been that way. 
I got here in 86, the year crack and the certifiably insane hit the steets en masse. If you weren't vigilant, you were punished- badly. It wasn't a place for people who wanted to "hang out" for a little while in their lives... It was a place for people driven by some compelling internal reason to be here- career, culture, whatever. That compulsion created a palpable energy to the place that was unrivaled anywhere in the world- you had to be here because whatever it was you did for work or love was here in the biggest possible way imaginable. And you stayed vigilant and put up with people getting killed over looking at somebody the wrong way, or sneakers, or just because of crack or crazy. And anybody could afford to live here, from the poorest of poor, to mostly poor, to kinda middle class and on upwards. And other than enclaves on the upper east, it felt like you could rub shoulders in your hood with the just about any social class or type of person- and it meant that the arts and creativity could flourish side by side with wall street and money. That tangible, almost edible energy and vitality has disappeared in the wash of a wealthier, healthier, cleaner, safer, less corrupt, and better-run city that has brought the well scrubbed visionless homogeneity of it's current state. 

I posted on a few sites asking about hostel recommendations and got a few responses 
of the ones I listed what would be a good area to stay in that's safe and close to subways

HI New york hostel

new york moore hostel

jazz on the park hostel

vanderbilt ymca

I listed them in order I think are the best 
The 2 on the upper west side are in a decent location.  They are very close to each other and both are near the 1 train and the C and B station, as well as bus stops.  It's not my favorite part of the city, but you shouldn't have any problems getting around the city or with safety.  That is a more residential part of NYC, while the YMCA is in midtown.  That is also near transportation, including Grand Central, but it's a commercial neighborhood with a lot of office buildings.  Midtown is closer to most everything than the UWS hostels (and the Brooklyn one), but it's not hard to get around the city and go wherever you want from any of those locations.  Someone else will have to chime in about the neighborhood of the Brooklyn hostel since I am not familiar with it.  I don't know what kind of neighborhood you would prefer, nor I am familiar with the quality of any of the places you listed.  Considering you should be fine in any of those locations, I would say to stay in the one you like the most.

Google maps will be helpful to you.  It will show you the locations of the subway stations with a capital M with a light blue background and the bus symbols show the bus stations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Girlfriend is leaning toward manhattan for her 40th in mid October. Would be her first time.

Looking for parts of town to stay in that might offer decent value (for Manhattan) while still having relatively nice spots. Is pretty much all of midtown the more desirable area for tourists to make the Rounds for 4 days? 

She will likely want to do a tour or two (loves them), so any suggestions on something that gives a decent overview of the city would be welcome. Also a top 2-3 must-hit spots that aren’t just total tourist/crowd nightmares would be cool. 

Shes pretty low maintenance and isn’t a big shopper so that’s not a concern. May catch one show while there but it’s not a must-do draw either. 

Dining out is a pretty big part of our travels. Love smaller spots but will likely plan a big dinner or two as well. 

If we are in the city for 4 days should we stick to manhattan or is there a borough that’s worth dedicating a day to for her first time up there? I’ve personally not set foot in the city in damn near a decade at this point either. 

Thanks! 

Midtown is generally convenient, but I find some good deals in Koreatown / just downtown and east from Madison Swuare Garden. Bunch of hotels have opened over the last 5-7 years there and it's convenient to just about anywhere. 

As to tours, if you want something of the city, I'd look to do a decent booze cruise perhaps depending on the time of year, though you can always to the Staten Island Ferry for free and get a nice tour Lady Liberty.

For history, I found the tenement museum has some really cool tours - you can pick a time period, different ethnic groups, they have eating/food tours... plus it's surrounded by some good stuff I. The Lower East Side and close to the Village. 

As to an off the beaten path (but still close to everything great Italian meal that is reminiscent of NY 10-40 years ago before it got so damned high end, Ill reiterate Meecato on 39th and 9th which I've recommended here.  If you go to the tenement museum, you can hit up Katz' Deli which is both awesome pastrami and other goodies and also a tourist notch to check off. 

Id suggest one day in Brooklyn perhaps. Maybe walk over the bridge, but up Williamsburg or stroll around the DUMBO neighbourhood - if you are there when Smorgesburg is going on, that's a great reason to head to BK, it's a super flea and fold festival every weekend with a wide range of awesome tastiness.

I posted on a few sites asking about hostel recommendations and got a few responses 
of the ones I listed what would be a good area to stay in that's safe and close to subways

HI New york hostel

new york moore hostel

jazz on the park hostel

vanderbilt ymca

I listed them in order I think are the best 
Are hostels in NYC much cheaper than budget Air BnBs? Seems like you could get a better deal without having to share a bedroom with 4-8 people.  

To answer your question, I'd go with any of the Manhattan hostel recommendations.  I wouldn't want to deal with all the subway issues and taxi fares going to BK if I was just a tourist.  Walking everywhere and short subway/uber rides are ideal.  

Major said:
Are hostels in NYC much cheaper than budget Air BnBs? Seems like you could get a better deal without having to share a bedroom with 4-8 people.  

To answer your question, I'd go with any of the Manhattan hostel recommendations.  I wouldn't want to deal with all the subway issues and taxi fares going to BK if I was just a tourist.  Walking everywhere and short subway/uber rides are ideal.  
from the quick research I have done , an Airbnb private room is way cheaper then a private room in a hostel and a dorm room bed in a hostel is slightly more expensive then a private Airbnb room.
in Europe I chose the private Airbnb room over hostels because of the price difference ( the price difference was large and makes a difference when I was traveling 4-6 weeks)   , on this trip and hopefully on future trips I want to chose meeting other travelers over money . if the money difference isn't huge I would prefer the social aspects of hostels over my bank account 

thanks for your input on the locations , I need to sit down and look at a map and put some time into this trip - pick a spot and get tickets for the giants and rangers game the week im there 
from my past Europe trips , I book my Airbnb at the city I land in and that's it , I just do a quick google search and some reading at night then head out the next day and then find my next aribnb and train ticket the night before I leave to the next city 

There was an explosion underground in front of my office yesterday.  A loud noise followed by smoke pouring from the manhole in front of our building.  I was told that it was a result of old, fraying wires combined with the heat and rain... and boom.  It could have been much worse, but clearly the infrastructure of this city needs updating.

RC94 said:
There was an explosion underground in front of my office yesterday.  A loud noise followed by smoke pouring from the manhole in front of our building.  I was told that it was a result of old, fraying wires combined with the heat and rain... and boom.  It could have been much worse, but clearly the infrastructure of this city needs updating.
Saw that. Yeah...as much as the, now in it's eighth ####### year, work being done on e Houston St is a pain- it's nice to see those new pipes going down.

Other news near office- appears to have been a jumper from a hotel nearby last night.

Girlfriend is leaning toward manhattan for her 40th in mid October. Would be her first time.

Looking for parts of town to stay in that might offer decent value (for Manhattan) while still having relatively nice spots. Is pretty much all of midtown the more desirable area for tourists to make the Rounds for 4 days? 

She will likely want to do a tour or two (loves them), so any suggestions on something that gives a decent overview of the city would be welcome. Also a top 2-3 must-hit spots that aren’t just total tourist/crowd nightmares would be cool. 

Shes pretty low maintenance and isn’t a big shopper so that’s not a concern. May catch one show while there but it’s not a must-do draw either. 

Dining out is a pretty big part of our travels. Love smaller spots but will likely plan a big dinner or two as well. 

If we are in the city for 4 days should we stick to manhattan or is there a borough that’s worth dedicating a day to for her first time up there? I’ve personally not set foot in the city in damn near a decade at this point either. 

Thanks! 
This is impossible to answer without a general idea of budget.  

Saw that. Yeah...as much as the, now in it's eighth ####### year, work being done on e Houston St is a pain- it's nice to see those new pipes going down.

Other news near office- appears to have been a jumper from a hotel nearby last night.
Is that Houston St thing close to being done?

What's the word?

El Floppo said:
any affect on work/getting to and around work?
No, it was ok.  The explosion and smoke was startling, especially because I had my back to the window and was about to join a conference call, but it seems relatively minor overall.  That said, 2 days of work on it seems like it could have been much worse.  Probably got lucky.  If it was bigger, I would have been covered in broken glass (at a minimum) since I was 2 feet away from some windows overlooking it.

Wow. The last two days have been just stunning, weatherwise. Been walking to my mealpal pickups instead of biking, to take advantage. K-town to mad park.

Reminds me that tourists still like to walk for abreast and blocking the sidewalks. Pretty much encouraging me to play, red Rover red Rover send floppo right over, to break their chain...and win!

Wow. The last two days have been just stunning, weatherwise. Been walking to my mealpal pickups instead of biking, to take advantage. K-town to mad park.

Reminds me that tourists still like to walk for abreast and blocking the sidewalks. Pretty much encouraging me to play, red Rover red Rover send floppo right over, to break their chain...and win!
Not on Mealpal, but if you like Korean food check out Woorijip - https://www.yelp.com/biz/woorijip-authentic-korean-food-new-york?osq=Korean+Food

Also, Taim is opening a location on 22nd St (near the corner of 6th Ave.).  Taim makes the best falafel in NYC.

Not on Mealpal, but if you like Korean food check out Woorijip - https://www.yelp.com/biz/woorijip-authentic-korean-food-new-york?osq=Korean+Food

Also, Taim is opening a location on 22nd St (near the corner of 6th Ave.).  Taim makes the best falafel in NYC.
I'm on 32nd st... k-town dining ground zero. unfortunately, I'm not a big korean food fan. 

two favorite falafel places from way back (haven't had a falafel in ages): rainbow on union square, jerusalem near columbia u.

nanoosh is on mealpal... they're ok, not great. I get them every now and then when I don't mind my breath smelling (who am I kidding- I love having my breath smelling).

Looking for good restaurant recommendations to take the wife for her birthday in the theater district. Looking to take her to see Wicked at Gershwin theater. Nothing too crazy expensive. 

Looking for good restaurant recommendations to take the wife for her birthday in the theater district. Looking to take her to see Wicked at Gershwin theater. Nothing too crazy expensive. 
you really only have two choices, Per Se or Masa

Just found out the 15yo girl that fell off the fire escape in Tribeca went to school with floppinho. Terrible business. :(

My current favorite is District Tap House on West 38th (just south of the theater district).  100+ beers on tap, good cocktails (I'm told), and small plates so you can try lots of different things.

Anyone use the MyMTA app? 

Gotta be honest, prob some of the finest work the MTA has ever done, pretty accurate about train arrivals. When I'm getting ready to leave for work or leave my office, I'll take a gander, and if I see a stretch of 3 trains coming/going in a 10 minute span, I'll usually shoot for a station arrival around the middle train or 2-3 minutes before the last train of the stretch. Has been super helpful not only in avoiding long waits, but also avoiding overcrowded trains. I'll give credit when it is due.

With that being said, they still suck at almost everything!

Anyone use the MyMTA app? 

Gotta be honest, prob some of the finest work the MTA has ever done, pretty accurate about train arrivals. When I'm getting ready to leave for work or leave my office, I'll take a gander, and if I see a stretch of 3 trains coming/going in a 10 minute span, I'll usually shoot for a station arrival around the middle train or 2-3 minutes before the last train of the stretch. Has been super helpful not only in avoiding long waits, but also avoiding overcrowded trains. I'll give credit when it is due.

With that being said, they still suck at almost everything!
I found it wasn't as accurate as the individual subway and bus apps (which I use to determine if I opt for the bus instead). Given that, I went back to using the two apps individually.

But yeah- really helpful for figuring out connections timing and/or just when the next ones coming. Takes a lot of stress out of the commute just knowing that the next train is 8 or whatever minutes away...or weekend version, it's never coming.

Worked on the opening ceremony for the 9-11 Tribute in Light last night. Cool event to be a part of, with some great access to the lights. Got to stand right in the middle of one.

Some pics
What portion did you work on?  Sounds like a great experience.  Love that last shot you took. 

Users who are viewing this thread