What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (4 Viewers)

should be my last question about location
I was on aribnb today searched out super hosts with great reviews and got pre approved for 4 places
don't have exact address as Airbnb doesn't give that out until you confirm 

the cheapest was in Newark 520
the other 3 are in Brooklyn 660-820

with having a week in new York which area would be better base for me : restaurants/bars ,safe to walk around at night and good pubic transport 

thanks

Of those two I’d lean Brooklyn, personally but I’m far from the best guy to ask.

Brooklyn is actually a cool area in its own right now, and I think it’s a shorter train to downtown/midtown manhattan than Newark. 

should be my last question about location
I was on aribnb today searched out super hosts with great reviews and got pre approved for 4 places
don't have exact address as Airbnb doesn't give that out until you confirm 

the cheapest was in Newark 520
the other 3 are in Brooklyn 660-820

with having a week in new York which area would be better base for me : restaurants/bars ,safe to walk around at night and good pubic transport 

thanks

We would need more info.  Both are very large and differ drastically depending on where you are.  There could be parts of Newark that are nicer and get you into the city quicker than Brooklyn and VIce Versa(i.e. Near Penn Station).  Generally speaking Brooklyn is the better option and easier to get into and out of manhattan but that really depends maybe this place is in the rockaways!   i would check if the page tells the neighborhood.  If not ask the host. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What pinky said. Brooklyn is deceptively big and I'd guess the cheapest places are going to be far from Manhattan and far from transportation. No way for you to know, but the MTA further compunds things by screwing with subway lines overnight and weekends, further ruining ease of getting to the city and back via subway. Fwiw, rockaways are in Queens, so he's safe from that commute at least.

I know zip about Newark other than your being completely dependent on train schedules and your spot maybe not being close to the station. Also would be a more expensive Uber ride due to tunnel fare at least.

Just went to a kids bday at the Vanderbilt YMCA on 47th and 2nd Ave. They have accommodations there, in case you hadn't already checked.

What pinky said. Brooklyn is deceptively big and I'd guess the cheapest places are going to be far from Manhattan and far from transportation. No way for you to know, but the MTA further compunds things by screwing with subway lines overnight and weekends, further ruining ease of getting to the city and back via subway. Fwiw, rockaways are in Queens, so he's safe from that commute at least.

I know zip about Newark other than your being completely dependent on train schedules and your spot maybe not being close to the station. Also would be a more expensive Uber ride due to tunnel fare at least.

Just went to a kids bday at the Vanderbilt YMCA on 47th and 2nd Ave. They have accommodations there, in case you hadn't already checked.
If they are by penn station then they can take the PATH 24/7  and during the day also have train and bus options so it isnt that bad and the PATH uses the metrocard.  Late night it runs less frequently though but during the day its basically as frequent as most subway lines.  And yes Uber would be crazy expensive.  If you arent near Penn Station, cross Newak off your list imo.  If you are looking that far out, check Harrison.  its one PATH stop closer and will be cheaper than Jersey City which would be much better but likely much more expensive.  But again, make sure you are near the PATH otherwise you will be in some real sketchy places. 

ETA:  usually there are decent options to be had in Manhattan.  When we have out of country friends coming to visit the states they usually find great spots in Manhattan. 

Of those two I’d lean Brooklyn, personally but I’m far from the best guy to ask.

Brooklyn is actually a cool area in its own right now, and I think it’s a shorter train to downtown/midtown manhattan than Newark. 

We would need more info.  Both are very large and differ drastically depending on where you are.  There could be parts of Newark that are nicer and get you into the city quicker than Brooklyn and VIce Versa(i.e. Near Penn Station).  Generally speaking Brooklyn is the better option and easier to get into and out of manhattan but that really depends maybe this place is in the rockaways!   i would check if the page tells the neighborhood.  If not ask the host. 

thanks guys 
the Newark place was the cheapest but after reading your concerns about buses and subway , I concentrated on the Brooklyn places

I reread the reviews and picked a place I was happy with 
after I confirmed , I got the address ( bay 8th st )  and its a little further out then I liked but 1 min from Manhattan express bus and 10 min from a subway so that's great

im in town for a week so if anyone wants to meet up , planning on going to the giants/eagles game and rangers/oilers game 

thanks guys 
the Newark place was the cheapest but after reading your concerns about buses and subway , I concentrated on the Brooklyn places

I reread the reviews and picked a place I was happy with 
after I confirmed , I got the address ( bay 8th st )  and its a little further out then I liked but 1 min from Manhattan express bus and 10 min from a subway so that's great

im in town for a week so if anyone wants to meet up , planning on going to the giants/eagles game and rangers/oilers game 

Bay 8th is a hike FYI if you plan on being in Manhattan a lot.  If you are cool with that then that works.  Just realize it may take like an hour to get into manhattan from there.

Bay 8th is a hike FYI if you plan on being in Manhattan a lot.  If you are cool with that then that works.  Just realize it may take like an hour to get into manhattan from there.
#### , none of the reviews said travelling time to Manhattan , all they said was how close bus an subway stops were to the apartment 

ill need to sit down and see how often ill be in Manhattan and see how on inconvenient it will be   

#### , none of the reviews said travelling time to Manhattan , all they said was how close bus an subway stops were to the apartment 

ill need to sit down and see how often ill be in Manhattan and see how on inconvenient it will be   

Usually on airbnb you can see the location.  If you punch that into google maps and use say times square as a destination, that will give you an idea of how long it will take.  There is an option to get transit directions.  Being near the subway is ideal as that will be much quicker getting around.  As you are learning the further you are from a subway and Manhattan, the cheaper it will be.  If you want, send me your dates and budget and i can take a look when i get a second and see whats out there. 

I'd pay a little more to stay in Manhattan as a tourist.  Should be some relatively affordable options on the Upper East Side, East Village or Chinatown area.  Harlem can also offer value.  If you're looking Brooklyn, try to stay in places closest to the river (Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope are ideal.  Bushwick can be cheaper and not that far out.  BK is vast and Bay 8th is a hike.  Might as well stay in Staten Island.  

As Pinky said, check the rough vicinity Air BNB gives you before you're booking an apartment.  Sure it's not the exact street but the general location is close enough.  Good luck!

floppinho has been commuting to and from school from the EVil to the evil upper west by himself- three trains. more proud of that, and of his mom un-tightening the protective grip, than I am of how well he's doing at the school that just came out as the top test score place in the city (test scores mean next to nothing to me, fwiw).

floppinho has been commuting to and from school from the EVil to the evil upper west by himself- three trains. more proud of that, and of his mom un-tightening the protective grip, than I am of how well he's doing at the school that just came out as the top test score place in the city (test scores mean next to nothing to me, fwiw).
How old is he.  The kid commute to school as they get older is always something that bugged me about leaving in the city.  

How old is he.  The kid commute to school as they get older is always something that bugged me about leaving in the city.  
11. just started middle school. I took him all the way up the first week. hopped out at 34th st, the next week (leaving him to have to make a transfer from the B/D to the 1 by himself at Col Circle. Now I just walk him to the subway stop- only because there's a miserable road construction project where he'd have to cross 1st Ave that is routinely dangerous with vehicles blocking the crosswalk and forcing pedestrians far into the middle of Houston St. At least we have traffic cops there looking at their phones, which helps.

eta: I should add that he's always taken the subway to school- with me. he's been ready to go on his own since mid-way through 4th grade, but no way in hell with mom. that said- we are using an app called Life360 that gives us his exact location (he has a phone) at all times and alerts us when he gets to school or home. he left his phone at home today and mom is freaking out. 

Not sure what's more impressive, his solo commute or the test scores.  Regardless congrats to Lil Floppo.  I cringe just thinking about that daily commute as an adult.   

Not sure what's more impressive, his solo commute or the test scores.  Regardless congrats to Lil Floppo.  I cringe just thinking about that daily commute as an adult.   
I forgot what a ####-show the 1 train is. Always full of people who act like they've never been on a subway before.

ETA...  And Thanks for nice words!

11. just started middle school. I took him all the way up the first week. hopped out at 34th st, the next week (leaving him to have to make a transfer from the B/D to the 1 by himself at Col Circle. Now I just walk him to the subway stop- only because there's a miserable road construction project where he'd have to cross 1st Ave that is routinely dangerous with vehicles blocking the crosswalk and forcing pedestrians far into the middle of Houston St. At least we have traffic cops there looking at their phones, which helps.

eta: I should add that he's always taken the subway to school- with me. he's been ready to go on his own since mid-way through 4th grade, but no way in hell with mom. that said- we are using an app called Life360 that gives us his exact location (he has a phone) at all times and alerts us when he gets to school or home. he left his phone at home today and mom is freaking out. 
My son walks to school but doesn't have the years of taking the subway like yours does.  Still a couple of years to go (he just started 3rd grade) but not loving the idea of him being on the subway at 11.  

My son walks to school but doesn't have the years of taking the subway like yours does.  Still a couple of years to go (he just started 3rd grade) but not loving the idea of him being on the subway at 11.  
Does his school go past 5th grade? The commute will come down to MS location. My son's original MS was going to be a long walk or 1 stop on an MTA bus- very convenient and easy. But he got into this other school last minute, so had to switch gears.

A kid in his grade is commuting there from Staten  island. I've found that what seems crazy at first becomes routine and normal really quickly. The key for our son was understanding each move well-being so it helped doing trial runs in the summer to a class there and also going with me until he had it down.

ETA... Tbh, I'm still more worried about him crossing bigger streets than I am about him on the trains.

Does his school go past 5th grade? The commute will come down to MS location. My son's original MS was going to be a long walk or 1 stop on an MTA bus- very convenient and easy. But he got into this other school last minute, so had to switch gears.

A kid in his grade is commuting there from Staten  island. I've found that what seems crazy at first becomes routine and normal really quickly. The key for our son was understanding each move well-being so it helped doing trial runs in the summer to a class there and also going with me until he had it down.

ETA... Tbh, I'm still more worried about him crossing bigger streets than I am about him on the trains.
It ends in 5th grade.  My district (district 15) is going through some pretty big changes on how enrollment in Middle School will work and to be honest no one knows how it will all play out but luckily he isn't a first year going through it.  

It ends in 5th grade.  My district (district 15) is going through some pretty big changes on how enrollment in Middle School will work and to be honest no one knows how it will all play out but luckily he isn't a first year going through it.  
My co-worker has a 5th grader in d15- sucks they just threw that on you guys.

My co-worker has a 5th grader in d15- sucks they just threw that on you guys.
Much worse if you have a 5th grader.  Figure in a couple of years it will be mostly figured out if good or bad thing.  Luckily we could do/afford private school as an option but for a lot of folks that is just too expensive.  Might see some flight to the suburbs.

Much worse if you have a 5th grader.  Figure in a couple of years it will be mostly figured out if good or bad thing.  Luckily we could do/afford private school as an option but for a lot of folks that is just too expensive.  Might see some flight to the suburbs.

yep- you'll get to see how it plays out and if it sticks. my daughter's in 2nd grade, and it would suck if they impose that on d2- as my coworker thinks they will (impose it city-wide). 

hopefully we'll know about the application process for the elite HSs too that they're talking about changing from being solely dependent on the SHSAT. with floppinho in 6th grade, it would be good to know what he should be shooting for right now, rather than getting told as he's going into HS that everything's changed and the direction he's taken is irrelevnt (as is happening with my d15 coworker for MS).

I just read that 1 in 10 public school kids in NYC are homeless or live in temporary housing. How is that even possible?

Back from NYC. Had a blast. 

Pig & Khao was fantastic brunch. Food was incredible (sizzling sisig w Garlic fried rice FTW). Awesome vibe with 80s/90s hip hop and open kitchen. 

Mercato was very very good. Went with branzino, but the Gnocci and Caprese were the highlights of the night. Service was good but a bit of attitude. 

Lugers was a huge letdown. Screwed up our reservation (made it monday not satuday), then told us to come at 10:30, then were #######s about it and service was a joke, rushing us through the meal. Wish we had just cancelled when they blew the booking. Steak was okay but kinda Meh to be honest. I’ve had much much better. 

Pardon my French was the top experience of the weekend. Food was really good (french toast and the Brussels sprouts), but the staff and service was off the charts. Incredibly charismatic fun crew... so much fun. 

Once our 90min “bottomless mimosas/bloodys” was up they brought two more carafes to the table, plus a round of tequila shots for us (waiter did one too).

Then brought us inside to a cool booth in the bar and dropped two more carafes and another round of shots on the house. THEN the manager swung by for a bit, laughed our asses off.. be brought two MORE carafes. I picked up a round of shots for us, a couple buddies who had joined up by this point, and the manager. 

Took care of the Bartender and and then he refused to let me pay for a beer the rest of the day (had switched to Guinness).

Finally around 4pm (5 hours later) we had to bail to head to the airport. $31/head for a great meal and I can’t even begin to guess how many drinks... the waiters were well taken care of as well. The GF (birthday girl) loved it. Awesome back patio area as well, 

You were all over my hood. Pig and Khao and French both right by...and never been to either.
Can’t speak to anything other than brunch but both are awesome for that. I can see pig & khao’s overall menu crushing it at all times, though. Very vefy very good food. Everyone ordered something different but all were raved about. 

In hindsight, our waiter at PMF (jeremy) actually took the owner of P&K to prom and they dated back in the day.  Small world :lol:  

Can’t speak to anything other than brunch but both are awesome for that. I can see pig & khao’s overall menu crushing it at all times, though. Very vefy very good food. Everyone ordered something different but all were raves about. 
The wife isn't into it... :( So some of us starve

You were all over my hood. Pig and Khao and French both right by...and never been to either.
Pig and Khao is sooooo good.  You can get a whole pig if you have a large group(i think 8 or more people) and then they make all sorts of stuff with it.  its ridiculous!  If you like filipino food Jeepney is also excellent. the sisig and Pig and Khao is one of the best i have had though. 

Never been a huge fan of Luger. Raoul’s still has the best steak in the city. 
Love the Steak au Poivre there as well as the scene but I think there are better steaks in the city.  Will agree on Luger's as it is a bit too high on itself and the service sucks.  If I am going to spend that much on dinner I want good service.  

Love the Steak au Poivre there as well as the scene but I think there are better steaks in the city.  Will agree on Luger's as it is a bit too high n itself and the service sucks.  If I am going to spend that much on dinner I want good service.  
That's the steak I'm talking about.   ?

My hatred for the MTA is becoming unbearable!

Sitting in a taxi right now bc they left a 4 train sitting at Bowling Green for 15 minutes, then kicked us off with no explanation, and the next 3 trains that came all turned around to head north. Finally got an explanation, some ####### is on the tracks at Franklin Ave.

1) Hit the guy, world needs more Darwin winners

2) More realistically, that’s like 7 or 10 stops into Brooklyn, your contingency plan is to turn all trains around? How about circumventing the area the moron is on the tracks? Wouldn’t that be smarter than kicking 4 full trains of commuters off and no updates on when they’re going into Brooklyn again?

Most mismanaged ####ty organization on Earth!! 3rd time in the last 7 days my commute has taken over 90 minutes, door to door I’m supposed to be 25-30 minutes, depending on how bad service is maybe 35 minutes tops. Now I’m sitting in a cab in bumper to bumper traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge. I was 3 ####### minutes from my stop, but since someone is on the tracks 27 miles away, let’s just turn this train around, mmmkay?

If I’m gonna have a 90 minute commute, I might as well live in castle in NJ, with a top notch school system to boot. This bridge traffic is a ####### standstill, I’m slightly frustrated right now. Nothing like donating 90 minutes of my time after work due to the incompetence of the worst run agency that ever existed.

Sitting in a taxi right now bc they left a 4 train sitting at Bowling Green for 15 minutes, then kicked us off with no explanation, and the next 3 trains that came all turned around to head north. Finally got an explanation, some ####### is on the tracks at Franklin Ave.

2) More realistically, that’s like 7 or 10 stops into Brooklyn, your contingency plan is to turn all trains around? How about circumventing the area the moron is on the tracks? Wouldn’t that be smarter than kicking 4 full trains of commuters off and no updates on when they’re going into Brooklyn again?

Most mismanaged ####ty organization on Earth!! 3rd time in the last 7 days my commute has taken over 90 minutes, door to door I’m supposed to be 25-30 minutes, depending on how bad service is maybe 35 minutes tops. Now I’m sitting in a cab in bumper to bumper traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge. I was 3 ####### minutes from my stop, but since someone is on the tracks 27 miles away, let’s just turn this train around, mmmkay?

If I’m gonna have a 90 minute commute, I might as well live in castle in NJ, with a top notch school system to boot. This bridge traffic is a ####### standstill, I’m slightly frustrated right now. Nothing like donating 90 minutes of my time after work due to the incompetence of the worst run agency that ever existed.
:ptts:

No no no. Hitting the guy = maximum delay, like what happened on the G on Halloween. Release the dogs. Get the walker. 

And lol at “circumventing the area” in tunnels designed by people who’d never seen a satellite photo. 

Not sure if any of you are following the proposed shift in application process to NYCs specialized HSs, like Stuy or Bronx science?

Currently, acceptance is solely based on results of the SHSAT test. That's it. No grades. No attendance. No essay. No letters of rec. Just the test score.

I'm not a fan. But...the proposal calls for accepting kids based on their ranking in their own MS, with a limit of 7% of that graduating MS class allowed. 

That would mean floppinhos class of 14 kids, only 1 gets in.

Not sure if any of you are following the proposed shift in application process to NYCs specialized HSs, like Stuy or Bronx science?

Currently, acceptance is solely based on results of the SHSAT test. That's it. No grades. No attendance. No essay. No letters of rec. Just the test score.

I'm not a fan. But...the proposal calls for accepting kids based on their ranking in their own MS, with a limit of 7% of that graduating MS class allowed. 

That would mean floppinhos class of 14 kids, only 1 gets in.
Do grades. attendance, the ability to articulate why you deserve admittance into the school, and letters of recommendation really matter?  IMO schools should base their decisions solely on the amount of shelves the family has in it's apartment or house.  Shelves are cheap and you can easily put them up yourself so it wouldn't favor one demographic over another.

Do grades. attendance, the ability to articulate why you deserve admittance into the school, and letters of recommendation really matter?  IMO schools should base their decisions solely on the amount of shelves the family has in it's apartment or house.  Shelves are cheap and you can easily put them up yourself so it wouldn't favor one demographic over another.
:lol:

it's interesting- I don't like the idea of this test being a catch-all. some smart kids aren't test-takers, and some dumb kids can pass a test if their parents pay enough for them to prep (or if they prep hard enough, paying or not). 

but to a person, every alum I've talked to from one of these schools HATES the idea of changing it all. feel like it would lower the standard of the kids gaining entry, and thus lower the standard of the schools and destroy what they all experienced as an amazing education- an educatino that opened doors to opportunities for college they may not have had opened otherwise. they all espouse some version of- "they're trying to fix the wrong thing- instead of lower the level of the elite schools, why not raise the level of the rest of the schools". what made the schools so great for them was that they were surrounded by type A over-achieving students who all pushed each other higher. they worry that admittance of lower level students will pull everybody down.

I can't disagree with that sentiment, but I also don't see how broadening the enrollment criteria necessarily lowers the standards... although it probably does if the DOE/Diblasio's version is only about being the top whatever percent of your graduating class and doesn't look at a bigger picture. the bottom line for Diblasio seems to be about trying to address the continuing decrease in black and hispanic enrollment- which I appreciate. and while I'd hate to see them break something that already works in these specialized HSs... something clearly ISN'T working and needs to be addressed.

in my completely uninformed opinion- open the criteria to other factors that include all of the above. weight it heavily to the test- 70% or something- but include those other elements that better define a student (to me) and person. 

I agree with you.  I don't see the argument for including things like grades, attendance, essay, and letters of recommendation as criteria equating to lower standards.  Do they have any data to support that claim?  Maybe it's that change means more work for them.  Context and merit make sense to me.  Maybe put a constraint on letters of recommendation where they would have to be from a school staff member so it wouldn't favor someone who's family is friends with a senator.  If a student did well in the face of adversity, that could help and they can convey that in the essay.  IMO adding more context and merit criteria would raise the standard of the student and give kids from under-represented neighborhoods a better chance of getting in. 

I think it might be time for another restaurant post.  I have mentioned this before, but a friend of mine from Cincinnati comes to visit his NYC office for a week every month and we try to get together for lunch when he's here.  We go to a different kind of restaurant every time (except dim sum twice) and at this point it's been about 35 restaurants, all different kinds of food.  It's the kind of thing that makes NYC special IMO.  After a while we realized we needed to put together a list of the places we have been to, and I want to share that with you.  It's been about 4 years at this point so some of these places may not be open anymore.  The parameters, aside from trying a different kind of food each time is that, except for 1 place, it's for lunch (a lot of good restaurants are only open for dinner during the week), and for the most part it's within my budget (his budget would be higher).  This doesn't include the places we didn't like, but that was only 3 or 4:

Lupa:

Caracas Arepa Bar

The Coffee Shop

Veselka

Golden Unicorn:

Jing Fong:

Katz’s Deli

Tuck Shop

Casa Restaurant

Miss Lily’s 7A

Nirvana

The Spotted Pig

La Loteria

ilili

Cafe Mogador

Saigon Shack

Grill 21

Turkish Kitchen

Reichenbach Hall

Sevilla Restaurant

Amélie

Mary’s Fish Camp

Dhaulagiri Kitchen

Meskerem Ethiopian Cuisine

Churrascaria Plataforma

Kopi Kopi

Ramen-Ya (Ippudo was closed for renovations.  Ippudo is better)

Periyali

Thai Villa

Ootoya

Pio Pio 7

I'm going to be in Boston for a week starting thanksgiving day. I'd like to take a train to the city for a meal and a show. Anything really good that doesn't cost $500 or does anyone have Hamilton tickets to give away?

Advice on training in from boston?

I'm going to be in Boston for a week starting thanksgiving day. I'd like to take a train to the city for a meal and a show. Anything really good that doesn't cost $500 or does anyone have Hamilton tickets to give away?

Advice on training in from boston?
This year I started taking the train when traveling to Boston as opposed to flying, love the train so much more. My company pays, so it is solely based on experience (although, train is typically the cheaper route). Take the Acela, it is about $100 each way or $200 for first class(depending on day/time). Only reason I'll take first class is bc it isn't my dime, I looked at the regular seats and I think the difference is negligible, slightly less crowded, a meal, but that is really it. 

From Boston to NY, sit on the left side of the train, really nice relaxing coastal scenic route. 

This year I started taking the train when traveling to Boston as opposed to flying, love the train so much more. My company pays, so it is solely based on experience (although, train is typically the cheaper route). Take the Acela, it is about $100 each way or $200 for first class(depending on day/time). Only reason I'll take first class is bc it isn't my dime, I looked at the regular seats and I think the difference is negligible, slightly less crowded, a meal, but that is really it. 

From Boston to NY, sit on the left side of the train, really nice relaxing coastal scenic route. 
thanks. How long is the trip. Is Penn Station the terminus? How many times a day does it run?

+1 on the Acela.  It’s also faster.  But still takes a bit of time(i want to say roughly  4 hours).  You are staying overnight i presume?  

Users who are viewing this thread