What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFC Wild Card Game: Detroit at Dallas (2 Viewers)

Winner?

• Total voters
And don't get me wrong, I love Michigan and the people there. Great place. I know they are rabid fans, but their treatment of Matt Stafford is beyond ridiculous. Kid went to my HS so I tend to perk up when he gets attacked. There's not an NFL GM out there that wouldn't be pleased as punch to have Matt Stafford locked up long term. But Lion fans I heard? They don't care for him and they sure as hell don't stand up for him.

Sooooooo....let me get this straight. The NFL fixed this game, but didn't do anything about a horrendous, sub .500 Carolina team from winning a division and hosting a playoff game. I got that right?

Also, I spent the last 10 days in Detroit. Listened to a lot of sports talk and talked to a lot of sports fans. Almost everything I heard was negative tripe about the team, especially Stafford, Suh and Caldwell. If that's the support you give your team, you deserve this. Horrible fan base.
Look I don't like either team but it obvious this was not a fix to help Dallas. No one would 'fix' a game by putting the ball in Romo's hands in the 4th quarter. Until it happened, the chances of Romo leading a game-winning playoff drive was about .005% and the chances of a heart-breaking pick 6 was about 75%. My guess is they were trying to hand the victory to Detroit. Logic fellas, logic.
Again... wasn't 'fixed', where it was a 100% guarantee Dallas needed to win this game. They could have done it more discretely if so.But something was up. Either personal gain for the ref if they did win, or more likely, just an awful call where he got scared and picked it up. Either way, that changed the outcome and is one of the most sketchy looking calls we've ever seen.
I have never seen a call and then pick up of a flag in this big of a game like that... Clear robbery... Bad it has to happen to Detroit, Im from the area and the people here work so hard and root for their team like crazy... For the guy who said they have a horrible fan base he is lost. They have lots of loyal humble fans. Been a while since the lions have won anything... Seems like the refs just won't have it.
The hell I am misguided. I spent 10 days there listening to sports talk or talking to sports fans and they were excoriating the Lions, especially after the loss to Green Bay. Call after call after call was ripping the team apart, especially Matt Stafford. NOBODY called in to defend him, not once. There was one afternoon host (who was very entertaining) that just attacked Suh, saying he was worthless and didn't want him on the team. The vocal fans I heard treated the Lions like they weren't even in the playoffs. Absolutely brutal way to treat your team and yeah, I get it, sports talk callers are booger eating basement dwellers, but there was absolutely NO defense of this team, what it accomplished this year and especially no defense of Matt Stafford, who was pulverized by the media while I was there.

I think the city is fed up with losing and agree that there are great fans, but I'm not lost on this. I was there. I heard it. They treat Matt Stafford like a disease.
I listen to Detroit Sports 105.1 every afternoon and don't hear any of that. I also get a half dozen podcasts (mostly player shows, not exactly hard hitting), listen to Caldwell and player interviews virtually everyday, interact with other other members of the Detroit Lions NYC Fans board daily, et al. I have a completely different perspective of Lions fans.

I spent 31 of my 52 years in Michigan, and there's definitely a defeatist attitude among the Same Ole Lions group. WXYT 1270 (defunct?) and the Ticket (97.1) are echo chambers for 20 year troll writers like Terry Foster and Drew Sharp. I'm not a huge fan of little fella (Albom) but if you choose to you can get away from losers who just want to whine and complain.

Don't doubt what you heard was genuine, GB, but don't think for one second that is the fan base. Michigan economy and the city of Detroit's perpetual woes are factors - lots of negativity in general in the mitten, not just Lions fans. But that doesn't mean all Michiganders are like that.
Buddy, they were KILLING Matthew Stafford all 10 days I was there. It was brutal. Calling him everything to a bust to overrated and everything in between. I'll have to ask my FIL who it was we listened to in the afternoons (some guy from NY who is not a homer). He was vicious with his attacks on Suh and said he deserved the suspension. Caldwell too was targeted numerous times and attacked by callers and show hosts alike. Maybe we're listening to different shows, but I know what I heard and what I heard was delusional. Guys attacking Matt Stafford are off their freaking rocker and there were NUMEROUS calls lambasting him as a QB.
Detroit sportstalk radio is the pits, but so is most sportstalk radio (DC not too bad).
Oh, I agree and called the callers booger eating basement dwellers as they are all over, but goodness....Stafford ain't the reason why the Lions lost last week nor this week and I'd gladly take him as my QB.

I lived in Texas for three years, Cowboys fans way harder on Romo than Lions fans are on Stafford IMO. DC always has ####ty QBs so the hilarity of them talking about whomever is their guy, always entertains me.

LOL at the game being fixed. As far as picking up a flag, it's not an uncommon occurrence.
Never happened in NFL playoff history after announcement was made. (Unless the ball was tipped, which it wasn't).

Not common at all.
So the refs should stick with what was announced even though they determined it wasn't a penalty? I've seen calls changed after an announcement.

Anyway, the whole thing about this game being fixed is ridiculous, IMO. The refs did a poor job if it was fixed, LOL. Heck, Dallas had a TD called back. Surely people don't truly believe it was fixed.

LOL at the game being fixed. As far as picking up a flag, it's not an uncommon occurrence.
Never happened in NFL playoff history after announcement was made. (Unless the ball was tipped, which it wasn't).Not common at all.
So the refs should stick with what was announced even though they determined it wasn't a penalty? I've seen calls changed after an announcement.

Anyway, the whole thing about this game being fixed is ridiculous, IMO. The refs did a poor job if it was fixed, LOL. Heck, Dallas had a TD called back. Surely people don't truly believe it was fixed.
I think the problem is there was no way to determine this wasn't a penalty. ...defender was pushing the receiver and never turned around to see the ball. That's what's on the video footage.

Never happened in NFL playoff history after announcement was made. (Unless the ball was tipped, which it wasn't).

Not common at all.

Not sure I'm convinced they "determined" it wasn't a penalty. If it wasn't a fix, it was very likely that the fans reaction, the pressure of making the right call, dez running on the field, etc created the ref to have doubts or change his mind for that reason.

Yes many plays get called. After the announcement its rare. When it is, its because the ball is tipped, or the play is reviewed, or another ref clearly saw a player step out of bounds, etc. On an unreviewable call, we are talking a full MINUTE after the flag was thrown, it was changed. Like Marshall Faulk said, if it was in fact a different ref staring at that whole play and those players and he overturned it, then he would have seen the illegal contact first. Fix or not (I agree it was likely not a blatent FIX that the cowboys had to win the game), that was a huge mistake and something fishy is definitely a possibility.

And don't get me wrong, I love Michigan and the people there. Great place. I know they are rabid fans, but their treatment of Matt Stafford is beyond ridiculous. Kid went to my HS so I tend to perk up when he gets attacked. There's not an NFL GM out there that wouldn't be pleased as punch to have Matt Stafford locked up long term. But Lion fans I heard? They don't care for him and they sure as hell don't stand up for him.
I like stafford but its kind of hard to defend him as poorly as he's played this year. And no way I'm taking time out of my way to argue with mouth breathers about it.

The lions have lost a lot since stafford was drafted. When a team loses, the QB gets blamed most of the time. Just like the goalie in hockey.

Never happened in NFL playoff history after announcement was made. (Unless the ball was tipped, which it wasn't).Not common at all.

I think the problem is there was no way to determine this wasn't a penalty. ...defender was pushing the receiver and never turned around to see the ball. That's what's on the video footage.
Exactly. There was no video to review. 99 out of 100 times, that is called a PI. There is no reason to TAKE IT BACK.

It's not a reviewable play, but if it were, it would have been one of those 'call on field stands', not 'its confirmed'. I've even talked to some cowboy fans who think that was a ridiculous decision. I don't see any way to spin this as that was the 'right thing to do" by the refs.

I like stafford but its kind of hard to defend him as poorly as he's played this year. And no way I'm taking time out of my way to argue with mouth breathers about it.

The lions have lost a lot since stafford was drafted. When a team loses, the QB gets blamed most of the time. Just like the goalie in hockey.
How were they before he got there?

So how does this fix work?

"Hey Bill, remember the Cowboys are supposed to win" then the head official says "Oh yeah I forgot. Lots of noise and stuff in here just got caught up in the moment."

Or is it a call from Goodell into the earpiece of ref?

Maybe Jerry tugs his ear or wink or some other special signal.

Matt Millen was there

I lived in Texas for three years, Cowboys fans way harder on Romo than Lions fans are on Stafford IMO. DC always has ####ty QBs so the hilarity of them talking about whomever is their guy, always entertains me.
And I'm one of them. I've killed Romo over the years and until this year, was very down on him as a clutch performer. This year, he's not made the big time mistakes at the absolute wrong time, though those back to back sacks were pretty awful.

Washington is just hapless.

I like stafford but its kind of hard to defend him as poorly as he's played this year. And no way I'm taking time out of my way to argue with mouth breathers about it.The lions have lost a lot since stafford was drafted. When a team loses, the QB gets blamed most of the time. Just like the goalie in hockey.
Matt Millen was there
When was their last pro-bowl QB? Landry?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why they don't use whole normal crews during the playoffs instead of these hodge podge "best" crews and I don't know for the life of me why PI is still not reviewable. It's the most controviesial and hardest to interpret rule in football.
Cant agree with this more. I think they should be able to review the whole play for penalties. That play was the perfect example. There was obviously some offensive PI/illegal hands to face but there was also defensive PI. The absolute right call should have been replay the down. Unfortunately at that point the refs couldnt make that call.

What would have been the proper call? Call the defensive PI and reward detroit with a bunch of yards an an automatic first down?

How could any detroit homer even attempt to make that argument? That is BS.

Matt Millen was there
When was there last pro-bowl QB? Landry?
Scott Mitchell once attended the game as a fan. Does that count?

"Hey Bill, remember the Cowboys are supposed to win" then the head official says "Oh yeah I forgot. Lots of noise and stuff in here just got caught up in the moment."

apparently they went with a more subtle route and had Dez run onto the field without a helmet to remind them

I like stafford but its kind of hard to defend him as poorly as he's played this year. And no way I'm taking time out of my way to argue with mouth breathers about it.The lions have lost a lot since stafford was drafted. When a team loses, the QB gets blamed most of the time. Just like the goalie in hockey.
Matt Millen was there
When was their last pro-bowl QB? Landry?
Greg Landry and his stellar 80.9 passer rating in 1971.

apparently they went with a more subtle route and had Dez run onto the field without a helmet to remind them
Yup. Probably handed them money and said "shhhh".

I don't know why they don't use whole normal crews during the playoffs instead of these hodge podge "best" crews and I don't know for the life of me why PI is still not reviewable. It's the most controviesial and hardest to interpret rule in football.
Cant agree with this more. I think they should be able to review the whole play for penalties. That play was the perfect example. There was obviously some offensive PI/illegal hands to face but there was also defensive PI. The absolute right call should have been replay the down. Unfortunately at that point the refs couldnt make that call.What would have been the proper call? Call the defensive PI and reward detroit with a bunch of yards an an automatic first down?

How could any detroit homer even attempt to make that argument? That is BS.
Because reviewing subjective plays will never work. When you slow it down, every single play will have a penalty. The biggest problem with this is that they picked it up for no apparent reason. If they didn't call it in the first place, I could have lived with it since it was close, but you can't inexplicably pick it up.

Definitely don't buy there was some "fix" planned ahead of time for this specific scenario, no way that makes sense.

Definitely question the intentions of refs though. Has picking up a flag happened before, sure usually when a bad call is corrected to a good call. When have you ever seen a good call picked up changed to a bad call?

I've never seen it...maybe it's happened in a week 2 Jags/Titans game but never a game determining playoff drive.

Definitely don't buy there was some "fix" planned ahead of time for this specific scenario, no way that makes sense.

Definitely question the intentions of refs though. Has picking up a flag happened before, sure usually when a bad call is corrected to a good call. When have you ever seen a good call picked up changed to a bad call?

I've never seen it...maybe it's happened in a week 2 Jags/Titans game but never a game determining playoff drive.
Refs mess up all the time, they screwed this one up for sure. Probably going to do it again next week.

Talk of fix or NFL making sure Dallas wins is nuts.

Refs mess up all the time, they screwed this one up for sure. Probably going to do it again next week.

Especially if you watch Cowboy games...it's the total opposite usually.

The only thing is the picking up of the flag. It's not clear cut PI in my opinion and Pettigrew face masked Hitchens.

Definitely don't buy there was some "fix" planned ahead of time for this specific scenario, no way that makes sense.Definitely question the intentions of refs though. Has picking up a flag happened before, sure usually when a bad call is corrected to a good call. When have you ever seen a good call picked up changed to a bad call?

Money talks. Dallas has more of it than anyone.

Definitely don't buy there was some "fix" planned ahead of time for this specific scenario, no way that makes sense.Definitely question the intentions of refs though. Has picking up a flag happened before, sure usually when a bad call is corrected to a good call. When have you ever seen a good call picked up changed to a bad call?

Especially if you watch Cowboy games...it's the total opposite usually.The only thing is the picking up of the flag. It's not clear cut PI in my opinion and Pettigrew face masked Hitchens.
Cowboys fan I assume.

Especially if you watch Cowboy games...it's the total opposite usually.The only thing is the picking up of the flag. It's not clear cut PI in my opinion and Pettigrew face masked Hitchens.
Cowboys fan I assume.
:lmao:

Alright, then I'll raise you Dez Bryant running onto the field barking at the refs, and should have been called....... but again.... wasn't..... typical.

And if you don't want to believe me...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2319198-refs-pick-up-flag-after-pass-interference-on-cowboys-in-4th-quarter?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league2
I was shocked there was zero mention of it by the announcers when it happened. Bryant on the field without a helmet is a penalty , no?

If you think the stafford bashing was bad, you should have heard the Harrington stuff.

Cowboys fan I assume.
:lmao:
Yup

Especially if you watch Cowboy games...it's the total opposite usually.

The only thing is the picking up of the flag. It's not clear cut PI in my opinion and Pettigrew face masked Hitchens.
https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/551905441685323776

Official explanation for the defensive pass interference penalty against Dallas that was waived off.
Pool report transcript from referee Pete Morelli with pool reporter Todd Archer:
Archer: Can you talk about the decision to overturn the call and why you overturned the call?
Morelli: The back judge threw his flag for defensive pass interference. We got other information from another official from a different angle that thought the contact was minimal and didn’t warrant pass interference. He thought it was face-guarding.
Archer: Which official?
Morelli: The head linesman.
Archer: What did you see?
Morelli: It’s not my responsibility. I’m a hundred miles away.
Archer: Face-guarding is not a foul?
Morelli: Face-guarding is not a foul. It is a penalty in college but not in professional football.
Archer: What is the process you go through after you announce the call? Should you have waited before you announced the call?
Morelli: Probably, yes. The information came and then the officials got together a little bit later, after it was given to me, the first information. It would have probably been smoother if we got together.
Archer: Do you remember this type of player happening before?Morelli: No, not particularly.
Archer: So one more time on who the person was that had a better view?
Morelli: The better view was from the head linesman.

He must be wrong. He's retired now. Lost his feel for the game. Banker still fresh.

Mechanical response as I would expect. The next round will continue and no one will say anything else about the call. End of story. That's how it works with a business this big.

He must be wrong. He's retired now. Lost his feel for the game. Banker still fresh.
Haha, thats what I figured. He works for Fox who has an agenda, Banker just calling it as he sees it.

The fact Pettigrew grabbed Hitchens face mask makes all this a moot point anyway. If people are really after the truth, let's not sweep that under the rug.

What people should be talking about is what a fantastic game it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread