What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Expansion to 40 teams (1 Viewer)

Jewell

Footballguy
Read the below Pro Football Talk article, and answer:

If the NFL were to add eight new teams in which cities would you place those teams? (Note: Foreign cities included, and one city can have multiple teams. For instance, you can place two teams in London.)

Considering the the intent behind eight new teams is to keep the divisions with an equal number of teams -- In which division would you place each of your eight teams?

Expansion to 40 teams isn’t as crazy as it sounds

Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2021, 1:32 PM EST

If/when the NFL offers St. Louis an expansion team in an effort to resolve the Rams relocation litigation, the league wouldn’t move to an odd number of teams. The league would add a second team, if it adds a first one.

Which gives rise to a bigger question. How many more teams could the NFL eventually add?

Regardless of whether the league successfully expands the regular season to 18 games in order to increase inventory for betting purposes (it wants to do it; the question is when it can persuade the NFL Payers Association to do it), adding teams adds inventory, too. With more and more young, capable quarterbacks entering the NFL, it’s not crazy to think that the talent pool from college football can support 34, 36, 38, or even 40 teams.

Yes, 40 teams. If the expansion process from 32 begins, 40 becomes the natural ending point. That would result in eight divisions of five teams each. And it would make sense at that point to have 16 playoff teams.

There could even be a preliminary round that trims a field of 20 teams to 16, with six teams in each conference getting a bye and four others playing in a new wild-card round, locking in a field of eight teams per conference.

So where would the teams be headquartered? Obviously, St. Louis. London, which has two NFL-ready stadiums, would have two (like L.A.). And then it would be time to find five other domestic markets.

FULL ARTICLE

If the NFL were to add eight new teams in which cities would you place those teams? (Note: Foreign cities included, and one city can have multiple teams. For instance, you can place two teams in London.)
Just going by market size, you basically get these American cities:

Portland, Oregon
St. Louis, Missouri
San Diego, California
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Antonio, Texas (if Jerry Jones comes around)
Memphis, Tennessee (if Jerry Jones blocks San Antonio)
Louisville, Kentucky (if Jerry Jones blocks San Antonio)

Take six from the above list, and then maybe two in London. If the Jaguars ever move to London, you'd have an extra franchise to play with. Sacramento, California has a big enough market ... just wasn't sure if it was too much within the Bay Area's sphere of "sports influence", though. Same with the Raleigh-Durham area in North Carolina -- too close to Charlotte? But see also DC and Baltimore.

Austin, Texas and Columbus, Ohio -- while large enough markets -- are just so firmly "college sports towns" in my mind. 

This cannot happen.  It's hard enough to field 30 good teams.  Diluting the league is not the answer.  Hell, I live in Atlanta and if they reduced the number of teams in the league would have a hard time arguing against the Falcons being eliminated.

I kind of Agree and disagree with this.  Can the NFL support 8 more teams?  I'd say yes.  Would it "dilute" the games?  Not really.  What is would cause, much like college, is the expansion of different "systems" on offense and defense bc yes, there would be less "skill" players that the NFL is looking for.  I'd also argue for having the draft be only 5 rounds in that case so the free agent frenzy would be interesting as well.

The question does become where do we add?  Mexico, Canada, London, Germany?  The US teams are pretty simple and for Fantasy football and gambling purposes having 20 games would be crazy.

This cannot happen.  It's hard enough to field 30 good teams.  Diluting the league is not the answer.  Hell, I live in Atlanta and if they reduced the number of teams in the league would have a hard time arguing against the Falcons being eliminated.
I think the goal is to make the sport global. I know I've seen initiatives building play in Europe. If the sport starts attracting and developing more players from around the world, in theory, the player pool will grow enough to support this.

It's taken my lifetime, but we finally have US soccer players playing for top European teams, and I think it's the tip of the iceberg. Same might happen with the NFL

I kind of Agree and disagree with this.  Can the NFL support 8 more teams?  I'd say yes.  Would it "dilute" the games?  Not really.  What is would cause, much like college, is the expansion of different "systems" on offense and defense bc yes, there would be less "skill" players that the NFL is looking for.
this is the definition of dilution. dilution of talent, that is. they'd have to adjust and change the game to support this many teams. quality as compared to now would suffer and it would be a totally different league than what we know today as the NFL.

i agree with your point otherwise and i doubt i would support that NFL the way i do this NFL.

Portland, Oregon
St. Louis, Missouri
San Diego, California
Salt Lake City, Utah

Take six from the above list, and then maybe two in London. If the Jaguars ever move to London, you'd have an extra franchise to play with. Sacramento, California has a big enough market ... just wasn't sure if it was too much within the Bay Area's sphere of "sports influence", though. Same with the Raleigh-Durham area in North Carolina -- too close to Charlotte? But see also DC and Baltimore.

Austin, Texas and Columbus, Ohio -- while large enough markets -- are just so firmly "college sports towns" in my mind. 
Within NFL offices, San Antonio is on the short list of most likely expansion cities along with London, St. Louis, and Toronto.

“The four sites that had been thrown up there as potential expansion sites to begin with would be London, Toronto, San Antonio, and then possibly St. Louis. That was tabled. That was put out there.” (LINK)

I think the goal is to make the sport global. I know I've seen initiatives building play in Europe. If the sport starts attracting and developing more players from around the world, in theory, the player pool will grow enough to support this.

It's taken my lifetime, but we finally have US soccer players playing for top European teams, and I think it's the tip of the iceberg. Same might happen with the NFL
Yes, two of the four mentioned cities to potentially expand to at the last NFL owners meeting were London and Toronto.

I've also heard Berlin rattled about due to the popularity of American football in Germany.

Portland, Oregon
St. Louis, Missouri
San Diego, California
Salt Lake City, Utah

So the growth of Austin has been huge and there is so much more corporate money here than in San Antonio. Even with UT, I would think Austin is a better option than San Antonio.

Eliminate the NCAA and make college football an intramural non-scholarship sport at educational institutions.  Create an NFL minor league with each team having a professional feeder club - 64 total teams.  Alternatively, create an NFL Division II pro league with promotion and relegation and fill in the rosters with players who otherwise would be playing Division I college football. 

"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said Sunday evening when his pregame conversation with reporters, which covered a broad range of topics, swayed toward football. "I'm just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy.

"Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

~ Mark Cuban in 2014 :oldunsure:

this is the definition of dilution. dilution of talent, that is. they'd have to adjust and change the game to support this many teams. quality as compared to now would suffer and it would be a totally different league than what we know today as the NFL.

i agree with your point otherwise and i doubt i would support that NFL the way i do this NFL.
Already happening.  Case in point, for decades the NFL thought process was you needed a strong armed, 6'5" 235 pound statue who could take the beating of being a pocket passer.  There aren't enough of those guys, so finally we are seeing guys like Kyler Murray actually getting a chance to succeed, and having a team built around him.  Where in the past, a guy like Doug Flutie, who didn't fit the mold but had ability, had to toil in the CFL before getting a legit shot. 

It doesn't hurt the game for coaches to have to be creative and come up with new ways to do things.

"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said Sunday evening when his pregame conversation with reporters, which covered a broad range of topics, swayed toward football. "I'm just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy.

"Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

I don't see it.

If anything, football is creating more distance between it and America's second most favored sport. Sorry, Cuban, the NBA's ratings have sagged more than the NFL's.

I also think the rest of the world likes American football more now that they have access to it.

First let's put a second team in Chicago, let's say, the Chargers. Then move the Raiders back to LA, and then throw a startup franchise into Las Vegas, and San Diego too.  Throw a team in Milwaukee while we're at it.

Eliminate the NCAA and make college football an intramural non-scholarship sport at educational institutions.  Create an NFL minor league with each team having a professional feeder club - 64 total teams.  Alternatively, create an NFL Division II pro league with promotion and relegation and fill in the rosters with players who otherwise would be playing Division I college football. 
The ncaa doesn’t run college football. Has nothing to do with it. 

Already happening.  Case in point, for decades the NFL thought process was you needed a strong armed, 6'5" 235 pound statue who could take the beating of being a pocket passer.  There aren't enough of those guys, so finally we are seeing guys like Kyler Murray actually getting a chance to succeed, and having a team built around him.  Where in the past, a guy like Doug Flutie, who didn't fit the mold but had ability, had to toil in the CFL before getting a legit shot. 

It doesn't hurt the game for coaches to have to be creative and come up with new ways to do things.
This x 1000. Again, I really have no dog in this fight bc it’s not like Miami is going to lose their team in this scenario, but let’s face it: if this was the 90s NFL kyler Murray would be playing baseball. Guys not good enough to play in the NBA wouldn’t be tight ends, and 370poumd fat guys would be on the d line. 

Coaches would need to be more nimble to build an offense around a guy like Tebow, Talents like Kaepernick and Cam wouldn’t be on the street for long, and even swag Kelly would have a job. Would the overall product be worse? Perhaps, but even the XFL had people watching bc what exactly does “worse” mean when both the offense and the defense will be diluted.

finally, unlike college ball where only 4 teams make the playoffs and everything else is just a money making exercise, about a quarter of teams make the playoffs in the NFL, so there will always be “hope” even for a mediocre team. Sure, 55 year old Tom Brady’s San Antonio stampede just eeked into the playoff, but you want to bet against Brady?

First let's put a second team in Chicago, let's say, the Chargers. Then move the Raiders back to LA, and then throw a startup franchise into Las Vegas, and San Diego too.  Throw a team in Milwaukee while we're at it.
I don't think Packer backer Wisconsinites would go for another team in Milwaukee. Maybe the Pack can just play a couple home games a season at Miller Park like they used to at County Stadium.

The NFL already has too many bottom-feeders.  We should be talking about going back to 28 teams, not expanding to 40.  

As a compromise, maybe next year we could schedule JAX-DET for London and just "accidentally" forget to book a return flight.

Cuban should be arguing for contraction in the NBA then.

I’ll be honest, I’m hanging up my watching glasses when Dak hangs up his cleats. The game isn’t the same as it stands now, I can’t imagine how bad it will be 10 years from now. 

I’ll be honest, I’m hanging up my watching glasses when Dak hangs up his cleats. The game isn’t the same as it stands now, I can’t imagine how bad it will be 10 years from now. 
That's fair. Just think how much the NFL game has changed in how it's played and officiated within Tom Brady's career. 

The NFL already has too many bottom-feeders.  We should be talking about going back to 28 teams, not expanding to 40.  

As a compromise, maybe next year we could schedule JAX-DET for London and just "accidentally" forget to book a return flight.
Again, what have the Lions done to get kicked in the face at every turn? 

Personally, I think the league should set up a minor league system, like every other sport has. The NCAA can’t fully function as such, because you can’t send a guy down to rehab an injury, or whatever other reasons they have to send guys down.

Users who are viewing this thread