What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL implications of Hernandez situation? (1 Viewer)

I think Lloyd's return is a good possibility at this point.

Those who think Tebow can just move right into a starting TE role apparently believe in sprinkle fairies too. What makes you assume he has any idea how to block as a TE needs to, can run routes, can catch passes? Has he ever done this at any level? Now suddenly in 2 months he's going to learn it at the NFL level, competing against NFL caliber defenses? Waaaaaaay too much Tebow Kool Aid you guys have been drinking.
I agree completely. Jimmy Graham played a season at Miami at TE. Then was on the Saints for a year before he really started learning the position. He exploded in his second year with the Saints. He is still learning the position. I think Jimmy Graham has athletic skills that are superior to Tebow for the TE position. Tebow may have the athletic talent to play the position, but I think it would take two to three years of dedicated work at the position to really be able to contribute at TE. I don't think there is any guarantee that his skills would translate to TE. It is possible, but making an impact at TE this year is almost an impossibility.
Tebow: "Me play TE? That's unpossible!"

Rotoworld:

ESPN's AFC West Blog suggests Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki as a possible trade target for the Patriots.

Our own Evan Silva made the same suggestion on Twitter Wednesday. The oft-injured Moeaki is currently rehabbing a knee scope and is questionable for the start for camp, but when healthy he has the skill set of a versatile move tight end. He's also now behind both Anthony Fasano and rookie Travis Kelce in Kansas City, and was coached by current Patriots assistant Brian Daboll last year. ESPN also suggests Broncos TE Joel Dreessen as another possible trade target.

Related: Joel Dreessen, Patriots

Source: ESPN.com

As the OP said, training camp hasn't started yet. If there's a silver lining to the Patriot's TE woes it's that this mess didn't land in their lap in Week 6 of the regular season.

Does anyone think the Patriots have to make some kind of a trade? Or do they have the horses and we simply aren't seeing it?

My guess is that they'll adjust their gameplan to maximize what they do have. I bet the are active with camp cuts.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston mentions Packers TE D.J. Williams and Eagles TE Clay Harbor as "names that come to mind" if the Patriots want to try and trade for a tight end.
Beat writer Field Yates is just tossing a couple of names in the air. He wasn't suggesting the Patriots were actually targeting Williams or Harbor, but either one could make some sense. Harbor has fallen out of favor in Philadelphia, and Williams has caught just nine passes in 26 career games as he's been hard-pressed to find the field. Green Bay may be more inclined to keep Williams, especially with Jermichael Finley's contract wrapping up after 2013. Both Williams and Harbor are athletic catch-first tight ends.

Related: Patriots, Clay Harbor

Source: ESPN Boston

I'm concerned that the whole patriot offense takes a big hit w/o Hernandez. His versatility is what makes the current offense click. Gronk and Amendola can both be contained be doubleteam or scheme. No Hernandez is a giant monkeywrench, and will make retooling difficult at this point. IMO, they become what they were back in the early 2000s, whatever that was. Strong D, ball control short passing game based on the shotgun spread is my guess. Brady is going to have to rely on a bunch of unknowns, and I guess they will struggle early.
The 2003 Patriots were 14-2 and won the Superbowl. This team’s rushing attack was split between Antowain Smith and Kevin Faulk, both with about 180 rushes and 640 yards. The passing attack had 5 guys with nearly 30 receptions or more: Branch (57, 803,3) Faulk (48,440,0), Troy Brown (40, 472,4), Daniel Graham (38, 409,4), David Givens (34,510,6), and Christian Fauria (28,205,2). Three WR’s, 2 TE, and a RB.

Brady threw for 3620 yards, 23 TDs and 12 ints. Pretty low by today’s standards, but good for 6th in yards, 10th in TDs.

This is pretty close to what I expect the 2013 Patriots offense to look like w/o Hernandez: Brady coming in around QB6-8, and passing yards and TD’s pretty evenly distributed to a bunch of nobodys. Obviously, we would expect Gronk and Amendola to be at the top of the receptions and yards list, but I expect the passing distribution to be so diluted that their value is limited.

IMO, the Patriots won the superbowls early on the basis of team unity above individual performance. They have gotten away with that in 2007 when they brought in Moss and then they focused their offense around a few key players – Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez. I think that in the absence of Welker and Hernandez and a limited Gronk, Belichick will look back at how he became successful in the first place, which was more about spreading it around.

From a fantasy perspective, this isn’t a great place to be. If there is value here, it’s in the bottom tier guys as there won’t be a huge difference between them and the guys at the top of the FF points food chain.
I disagree the Pats offense takes a step back and it won't be because of Hernandez, they did just fine when he missed 6 games last year and 2 games the year before. I think Brady will be fine but figuring out what weapons to target for fantasy will be the hard part because we aren't sure if Amendola can stay healthy and if/when Gronk will be back.

Again, Amendola had TWO INJURIES that derailed two seasons . . . and both were extremely bizarre incidents that have a practically 0%chance of recurring. Because he got hurt early in the season, it made him look way more injury prone. If he got hurt in back to back season in Wekk 16, no one would be suggesting he was injury prone.

I'm concerned that the whole patriot offense takes a big hit w/o Hernandez. His versatility is what makes the current offense click. Gronk and Amendola can both be contained be doubleteam or scheme. No Hernandez is a giant monkeywrench, and will make retooling difficult at this point. IMO, they become what they were back in the early 2000s, whatever that was. Strong D, ball control short passing game based on the shotgun spread is my guess. Brady is going to have to rely on a bunch of unknowns, and I guess they will struggle early.
Well, if losing hernandez gives them a strong d then i think if's a pretty good trade off

Users who are viewing this thread